|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Burnham working on as the story opens?
(a) The President's Inaugural Speech.
(b) A National Day of Prayer Proclamation.
(c) An official letter of congratulations.
(d) A college reference letter.
2. Who can call on a POTUS phone?
(a) The Washington DC police.
(b) The Soviet Ambassador.
(c) The CIA.
(d) The President of The United States.
3. How does Burnham describe the task he is working on as the story begins?
(a) It is a struggle between Church and State.
(b) It is going to be a masterpiece when he is finished.
(c) It is a waste of his time and talent.
(d) It is an easy task that he hopes to finish quickly.
4. Why does Mr. Joslin think Ivy Peniston would want to go back to Bermuda?
(a) So she could find a new husband.
(b) Because Jerome failed typing.
(c) He believes all immigrants should return to their land of origin.
(d) The climate and the flowers.
5. Why is Burnham getting "Q" Clearance?
(a) The President awards it to his favorite staff members.
(b) He needs it in order to continue working as writer for the President.
(c) He has applied for it in order to advance his career.
(d) He has worked for the department for nine years and it is automatic at that point.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is stapled to the door of Derry's room?
2. What does the high school building remind Ivy Peniston of?
3. Why does Ivy Peniston believe Mr. Joslin should bend the rules for Jerome?
4. How does Sarah demonstrate that she is serious about one of them leaving?
5. What is Pinsky terrified of in Annapolis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decision does Pym make at he end of Chapter 6?
2. Describe the difference between working in the West Wing of the White House and the East Office Building.
3. Why is Ivy so driven to get Jerome his diploma?
4. Describe the meeting between Ivy Peniston and Luther Joslin.
5. Does Burnham want "Q" clearance?
6. What is Sarah's opinion of Burnham's job?
7. What does Renfro not have a sense of humor about?
8. What sort of gift does Ivy plan to bring Mr. Pym?
9. What confuses Burnham about his "Q" status?
10. What manner of relationship does Ivy have with Mr. Pym?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)