|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ivy bring Mr Pym?
(a) Phone numbers.
(b) The President's next speech.
(c) Photo copies of Burnham's calendar.
(d) Shredded papers, a pay envelope and a prescription.
2. Why does Pym want to go for a walk with Eva?
(a) For the exercise.
(b) To make sure Ivy's cab went the right direction.
(c) To tell her he was a Soviet spy.
(d) He wanted to buy some cigarettes.
3. What makes Burnham decide to take the bus to work instead of a cab?
(a) The light changed.
(b) The couple asleep in the car had frightened him.
(c) He enjoyed the people he met on the bus.
(d) He was running too late to walk.
4. What is Mr Renfro's last comment to Burnham?
(a) "I do hope you learn to take it seriously."
(b) "You could appeal to the President to have you transferred."
(c) "Its only fair to tell you, you worry me."
(d) "I'm afraid, Mr Burnham, that you have no choice but to....grow up."
5. What is removed from the basement of the West wing in order to make space for Warner Cobb's office?
(a) A secretary's office.
(b) Two stalls from the ladies room.
(c) A wall seperating the hallway from a closet.
(d) A waiting room.
6. Who does Ivy think Eva was?
(a) Pym's daughter.
(b) Pym's wife.
(c) Pym's girlfreind.
(d) Pym's secretary.
7. How does Pym get custody of Eva?
(a) He buys her.
(b) Louise is sent to jail because she is a Nazi.
(c) Louises father insisits that he take Eva.
(d) He wins custody in divorce court.
8. What is Fydor Michaelovitch Pinsky's prized commodity in the Soviet Union during the war?
(a) Fluent English.
(b) The cash he earned at the cafe.
(c) He raised ducks.
(d) His inheritance.
9. What does Mr. Pym say to Ivy that makes her think he could help her?
(a) "Let me know if I can help you with anything".
(b) "I can forge anything".
(c) "Free enterprise means you are free to help yourself...".
(d) "Sometimes you have to bend the rules to survive".
10. What is Burnham working on as the story opens?
(a) A college reference letter.
(b) A National Day of Prayer Proclamation.
(c) The President's Inaugural Speech.
(d) An official letter of congratulations.
11. Why does Ivy Peniston argue that Jerome could graduate despite failing typing?
(a) He has good grades otherwise.
(b) She wants him out of the house as soon as possible.
(c) She feels embarrassed to tell her neighbors that he is not graduating.
(d) He is going to cause trouble when he can't graduate with his class.
12. What threat from his superiors in the Soviet Union prompts Pym to "prowl the perimeters of the White house" ?
(a) The threat of being sent home.
(b) The threat of losing his business.
(c) The threat of losing Eva.
(d) The threat of being exposed as a spy.
13. How long has it been since Burnham had a drink?
(a) One month.
(b) Two years.
(c) One year.
(d) Six months.
14. How does Burnham describe the task he is working on as the story begins?
(a) It is a struggle between Church and State.
(b) It is a waste of his time and talent.
(c) It is an easy task that he hopes to finish quickly.
(d) It is going to be a masterpiece when he is finished.
15. What does the Majority Leader of the United States Senate say about the President's choice for the Vice President?
(a) "We need to select a female Vice President."
(b) "I admire this man immensely."
(c) "This man is a war criminal."
(d) "But he's a bigoted, bullheaded ignoramus."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Burnham feel that no planes should fly over Georgetown?
2. What does the high school building remind Ivy Peniston of?
3. Where does Ivy Peniston get the idea that Jerome could cheat on his typing test?
4. Why was Eva in Jail?
5. What has Mr. Pym said he was a collector of that Ivy could get for him in return for his help?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)