|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After he confronts Epstein in the Mess, why does Burnham feel terrific?
(a) He felt well taken care of by Cobb.
(b) He was starting to feel better about his personal problems.
(c) He was honored to be writing the speech for the President.
(d) He had become an actor instead of a reactor.
2. Why does Mr. Joslin think Ivy Peniston would want to go back to Bermuda?
(a) So she could find a new husband.
(b) The climate and the flowers.
(c) He believes all immigrants should return to their land of origin.
(d) Because Jerome failed typing.
3. What is Mr Renfro's last comment to Burnham?
(a) "Its only fair to tell you, you worry me."
(b) "I do hope you learn to take it seriously."
(c) "I'm afraid, Mr Burnham, that you have no choice but to....grow up."
(d) "You could appeal to the President to have you transferred."
4. Why dos Eva record the taxi's license number?
(a) She thought the driver might rob Ivy.
(b) She liked the driver.
(c) She was exercising her memory.
(d) She wanted to impress her father.
5. How long has it been since Burnham had a drink?
(a) One year.
(b) One month.
(c) Six months.
(d) Two years.
6. What does the high school building remind Ivy Peniston of?
(a) Her own school building back in Bermuda.
(b) The hospital where she gave birth to Jerome.
(c) The buildings on a Navy base.
(d) An asylum for the criminally insane.
7. What does Burnham think about contact from the President?
(a) He looks forward to the assignments.
(b) No news is good news.
(c) He really wants a POTUS phone.
(d) He is anxious to be closer to the President.
8. What does Burnham want to do with the flame thrower?
(a) Sell it to the Russians.
(b) Test his new status with the Pentagon.
(c) Learn how to make one himself.
(d) Torch Derry's room.
9. Why does Pym choose Nebraska as a biographical core for his American identity?
(a) Nebraska reminded him of his homeland.
(b) He wasn't familiar with any other states.
(c) The Nebraska accent.
(d) His superiors had instructed him to use Nebraska for this purpose.
10. What does Mr. Pym say to Ivy that makes her think he could help her?
(a) "Let me know if I can help you with anything".
(b) "Sometimes you have to bend the rules to survive".
(c) "Free enterprise means you are free to help yourself...".
(d) "I can forge anything".
11. Why does Ivy Peniston believe Mr. Joslin should bend the rules for Jerome?
(a) Because he is the kind of person America should want to help.
(b) She is offering Mr. Joslin money for the favor.
(c) She will go to the press with the story if he will not help her.
(d) She knows Mr. Joslin bends the rules all the time.
12. How much money per paycheck is Burnham's pay raise worth?
(a) Four hundred and fifty dollars.
(b) Twenty eight dollars and thirteen cents.
(c) One hundred dollars.
(d) Forty eight dollars and seventeen cents.
13. How many of the President's writers work for the White House?
(a) Only the Chief Writer.
(b) Only the top five staff writers.
(c) Only the staff reporting writers worked for the White House.
(d) None, technically.
14. Who does the fellow who claimed to have an appointment with the President, take his orders from?
(a) His toaster.
(b) The CIA.
(c) Mr. Pym.
(d) The Soviet Union.
15. Although he is actually a speech writer for the President of the U.S.A, who does Timothy Burnham "officially" work for?
(a) The American Broadcasting System.
(b) The Department of Energy.
(c) The Washington Post.
(d) The Central Intelligence Agency.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Renfro bring to Burnham's office?
2. What does Ivy think that Mr. Pym wants?
3. Who's personal chef has Dickinson been?
4. What does Burnham say to Sarah about his reason for writing for the President?
5. What does Pym promise to give Ivy before she leaves?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)