|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city does Pinsky jump ship in?
(a) New York, New York.
(b) Washington, DC
(c) Boston, MA.
(d) Halifax, Nova Scotia.
2. What does Pym promise to give Ivy before she leaves?
(a) More pills.
(b) A phone number to call about getting a forged high school diploma.
(c) A bottle of sherry.
3. What does the high school building remind Ivy Peniston of?
(a) The buildings on a Navy base.
(b) An asylum for the criminally insane.
(c) Her own school building back in Bermuda.
(d) The hospital where she gave birth to Jerome.
4. What is "Q" Clearance?
(a) Access to the President and his staff any time, day or night.
(b) Permission to write and read important "for your eyes only" memos.
(c) Clearance to be able to ask the President any question about policy.
(d) A very high secret clearance authorization.
5. How does Sarah demonstrate that she is serious about one of them leaving?
(a) She packed one suitcase for him and one suitcase for her.
(b) She offers to leave if he can take care of the children.
(c) She dressed in a tweed suit.
(d) She insists he resign from his job.
6. How does Ivy know she has "struck the mother lode" when she enters the office?
(a) Signed photos of the President and Burnham are on the wall.
(b) She sees a POTUS phone.
(c) She can tell by the room number.
(d) She sees the shredder.
7. What does Burnham want Mr. Renfro to explain?
(a) When his next raise is.
(b) The make up of a neutron bomb.
(c) When he can move into his new office.
(d) Who he can talk to concerning atomic energy documents.
8. Burnham's wife, Sarah, says that Derry's pubescent radicalism was due to what?
(a) Sarah's lack of time to spend with Derry.
(b) A healthy superego.
(c) Her disdain of rock stars.
(d) Burnham's decision to work for the President.
9. How does Eva know so much about vitamins?
(a) She took a lot of vitamins herself.
(b) She helped her father with his vitamins.
(c) From one of her Greenpeace colleagues.
(d) She studied nutrition in school.
10. What does Mr. Renfro bring to Burnham's office?
(a) Orders for a new office.
(b) A document shredder.
(c) Burnham's new pass for his "Q" clearance.
(d) A POTUS phone.
11. Although he is actually a speech writer for the President of the U.S.A, who does Timothy Burnham "officially" work for?
(a) The Department of Energy.
(b) The Washington Post.
(c) The Central Intelligence Agency.
(d) The American Broadcasting System.
12. How does Burnham describe the task he is working on as the story begins?
(a) It is an easy task that he hopes to finish quickly.
(b) It is a waste of his time and talent.
(c) It is going to be a masterpiece when he is finished.
(d) It is a struggle between Church and State.
13. In Chapter 7, what is Sarah most upset about?
(a) That Burnham had no principles.
(b) Finding the "bug" in the car.
(c) That they argued in front of the children.
(d) That Burnham ridiculed Sonja.
14. What is Burnham working on as the story opens?
(a) The President's Inaugural Speech.
(b) An official letter of congratulations.
(c) A National Day of Prayer Proclamation.
(d) A college reference letter.
15. Burnham believes he is allergic to what?
(c) Ethyl alchohol.
(d) Peanut butter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Fydor Michaelovitch Pinsky's prized commodity in the Soviet Union during the war?
2. Why does Sergeant T have Burnham halt at the guard house?
3. What happens when Burnham drops his Pass?
4. Burnham's son, Christopher, is reading the horoscope from which magazine?
5. How many of the President's writers work for the White House?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)