|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sarah demonstrate that she is serious about one of them leaving?
(a) She insists he resign from his job.
(b) She dressed in a tweed suit.
(c) She offers to leave if he can take care of the children.
(d) She packed one suitcase for him and one suitcase for her.
2. When he meets him at the Mess, what does Cobb have to tell Burnham about?
(a) That he was installing a POTUS phone in Burnham's office that day.
(b) That the White House had, in fact, bugged his wife's car.
(c) The President requested him to write a toast speech for a dinner.
(d) That a mandatory staff meeting was happening that morning.
3. The toaster and the coffee maker in the kitchen are from which foreign countries?
(a) Japan and Germany.
(b) China and the Phillipines.
(c) Mexico and Canada.
(d) Thailand and Denmark.
4. How much longer is the President for whom Burnham writes speeches going to be in power?
(a) Over a year.
(b) Six months.
(c) Less than a month.
(d) Four years.
5. Although he is actually a speech writer for the President of the U.S.A, who does Timothy Burnham "officially" work for?
(a) The Department of Energy.
(b) The Washington Post.
(c) The Central Intelligence Agency.
(d) The American Broadcasting System.
6. How long has it been since Burnham had a drink?
(a) One month.
(b) Six months.
(c) One year.
(d) Two years.
7. What does Burnham want Mr. Renfro to explain?
(a) The make up of a neutron bomb.
(b) Who he can talk to concerning atomic energy documents.
(c) When his next raise is.
(d) When he can move into his new office.
8. Why will Mr. Joslin not bend the rules for Jerome?
(a) He dosn't like Jerome.
(b) He is afraid he will be caught.
(c) He enjoys being cruel to single mothers.
(d) He believes it would be unfair.
9. What are Burnham's parting words to Epstein as he is leaving the Mess?
(a) "What about you? Do you work here?"
(b) "What time is our meeting this morning?"
(c) "It is an honor to meet you"
(d) "Where did you get your suit?"
10. In Chapter 7, what is Sarah most upset about?
(a) That Burnham had no principles.
(b) Finding the "bug" in the car.
(c) That they argued in front of the children.
(d) That Burnham ridiculed Sonja.
11. What is Pinsky terrified of in Annapolis?
(a) Soft shell crabs.
(b) Not having enough money.
(d) Being uncovered as a spy.
12. What is Fydor Michaelovitch Pinsky's prized commodity in the Soviet Union during the war?
(a) Fluent English.
(b) The cash he earned at the cafe.
(c) He raised ducks.
(d) His inheritance.
13. Why dos Eva record the taxi's license number?
(a) She thought the driver might rob Ivy.
(b) She wanted to impress her father.
(c) She was exercising her memory.
(d) She liked the driver.
14. Where does Ivy Peniston get the idea that Jerome could cheat on his typing test?
(a) The typing teacher was a close freind of hers.
(b) She read about it in the newspaper.
(c) Jerome had mentioned it to her.
(d) From a boy on the steps of the school.
15. What is removed from the basement of the West wing in order to make space for Warner Cobb's office?
(a) A wall seperating the hallway from a closet.
(b) A secretary's office.
(c) Two stalls from the ladies room.
(d) A waiting room.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burnham say to Sarah about his reason for writing for the President?
2. What does Burnham find out about the pasha of Banda?
3. Why does Ivy Peniston argue that Jerome could graduate despite failing typing?
4. Why does Ivy Peniston believe Mr. Joslin should bend the rules for Jerome?
5. What does Ivy think that Mr. Pym wants?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)