|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mr. Pym say to Ivy that makes her think he could help her?
(a) "Free enterprise means you are free to help yourself...".
(b) "I can forge anything".
(c) "Let me know if I can help you with anything".
(d) "Sometimes you have to bend the rules to survive".
2. What is removed from the basement of the West wing in order to make space for Warner Cobb's office?
(a) A secretary's office.
(b) Two stalls from the ladies room.
(c) A wall seperating the hallway from a closet.
(d) A waiting room.
3. How does Eva know so much about vitamins?
(a) She took a lot of vitamins herself.
(b) She helped her father with his vitamins.
(c) From one of her Greenpeace colleagues.
(d) She studied nutrition in school.
4. Why is Ivy Peniston so upset about Jerome failing typing?
(a) She thiks he may be dealing drugs.
(b) She believes her son is lazy.
(c) He will not graduate in time to get a job he has been offered.
(d) She understands that typing is a very important subject.
5. Why does Mr. Joslin think that Jerome failed typing?
(a) He knows there are not enough typewriters available to students.
(b) He believes Jerome lacks discipline.
(c) He believes typing is an extremely difficult class.
(d) He thinks boys just can't type.
6. Who's personal chef has Dickinson been?
(a) Adolf Hitler's.
(b) Franklin Roosevelt's.
(c) Heinrich Himmler's.
(d) Joseph Stalin's.
7. What does Ivy bring Mr Pym?
(a) Shredded papers, a pay envelope and a prescription.
(b) Photo copies of Burnham's calendar.
(c) The President's next speech.
(d) Phone numbers.
8. Who are the two people Ivy sees in the corridor?
(a) Burnham and Dyanna.
(b) Epstein and Witt.
(c) Renfro and Burnham.
(d) Cobbs and Seargant T.
9. Whose speech does Burnham hear while at college in 1960?
(a) Mao Tse-tung.
(b) McGeorge Bundy.
(c) Che Guevera.
(d) Fidel Castro.
10. What does Burnham think about contact from the President?
(a) He is anxious to be closer to the President.
(b) No news is good news.
(c) He looks forward to the assignments.
(d) He really wants a POTUS phone.
11. What does Pym promise to give Ivy before she leaves?
(a) More pills.
(b) A bottle of sherry.
(d) A phone number to call about getting a forged high school diploma.
12. How long has Mr. Pym served as a spy for the Soviets?
(a) Almost twenty five years.
(b) Almost fifty years.
(c) Almost forty years.
(d) Almost ten years.
13. How does Burnham describe the task he is working on as the story begins?
(a) It is a struggle between Church and State.
(b) It is a waste of his time and talent.
(c) It is going to be a masterpiece when he is finished.
(d) It is an easy task that he hopes to finish quickly.
14. Why does Mr. Joslin think Ivy Peniston would want to go back to Bermuda?
(a) The climate and the flowers.
(b) He believes all immigrants should return to their land of origin.
(c) Because Jerome failed typing.
(d) So she could find a new husband.
15. What is "the boom factor" ?
(a) A term only people with "Q" status would understand.
(b) The amount of noise an atom bomb makes when it explodes.
(c) The cost of materials for an atom bomb.
(d) Something Burnham made up.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first morning after Sarah kicked him out and he is having coffee in the Mess, why is Burnham humming when Cobb showed up at his table?
2. What is Fydor Michaelovitch Pinsky's prized commodity in the Soviet Union during the war?
3. Why does Ivy Peniston believe Mr. Joslin should bend the rules for Jerome?
4. Burnham's wife, Sarah, says that Derry's pubescent radicalism was due to what?
5. What happens when Burnham drops his Pass?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)