|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mr Renfro's last comment to Burnham?
(a) "You could appeal to the President to have you transferred."
(b) "I'm afraid, Mr Burnham, that you have no choice but to....grow up."
(c) "Its only fair to tell you, you worry me."
(d) "I do hope you learn to take it seriously."
2. Why is Pym giving Ivy the Percodan?
(a) His insurance covers pain killers.
(b) To relieve her pain.
(c) She can sell them for extra cash.
(d) To get her hooked.
3. Who can call on a POTUS phone?
(a) The Washington DC police.
(b) The President of The United States.
(c) The CIA.
(d) The Soviet Ambassador.
4. How long has it been since Burnham had a drink?
(a) One month.
(b) One year.
(c) Two years.
(d) Six months.
5. When he meets him at the Mess, what does Cobb have to tell Burnham about?
(a) That a mandatory staff meeting was happening that morning.
(b) The President requested him to write a toast speech for a dinner.
(c) That the White House had, in fact, bugged his wife's car.
(d) That he was installing a POTUS phone in Burnham's office that day.
6. Who does Burnham praise in the speech he wrote for the President?
(a) The pasha of Banda.
(b) The people of Banda.
(c) The President's policies in Banda.
(d) Banda's recent peacefuland democratic elections.
7. What does Burnham think about contact from the President?
(a) No news is good news.
(b) He really wants a POTUS phone.
(c) He is anxious to be closer to the President.
(d) He looks forward to the assignments.
8. What does Burnham find out about the pasha of Banda?
(a) That he was gravely ill.
(b) That he couldn't speak English.
(c) That he owed millions of dollars to the World Bank.
(d) That he was a murderous dictator.
9. How long has Mr. Pym served as a spy for the Soviets?
(a) Almost ten years.
(b) Almost twenty five years.
(c) Almost fifty years.
(d) Almost forty years.
10. Why does Pym want to go for a walk with Eva?
(a) He wanted to buy some cigarettes.
(b) To make sure Ivy's cab went the right direction.
(c) To tell her he was a Soviet spy.
(d) For the exercise.
11. What is Fydor Michaelovitch Pinsky's prized commodity in the Soviet Union during the war?
(a) Fluent English.
(b) His inheritance.
(c) The cash he earned at the cafe.
(d) He raised ducks.
12. Burnham believes he is allergic to what?
(b) Ethyl alchohol.
(d) Peanut butter.
13. What are Burnham's parting words to Epstein as he is leaving the Mess?
(a) "What about you? Do you work here?"
(b) "It is an honor to meet you"
(c) "Where did you get your suit?"
(d) "What time is our meeting this morning?"
14. Why dos Eva record the taxi's license number?
(a) She liked the driver.
(b) She thought the driver might rob Ivy.
(c) She wanted to impress her father.
(d) She was exercising her memory.
15. Why does Mr. Joslin think that Jerome failed typing?
(a) He knows there are not enough typewriters available to students.
(b) He believes Jerome lacks discipline.
(c) He believes typing is an extremely difficult class.
(d) He thinks boys just can't type.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long has Burnham been married to Sarah?
2. What do members of the White House staff think about being assigned to the E.O.B. ?
3. Why does Ivy Peniston believe Mr. Joslin should bend the rules for Jerome?
4. Where does Ivy Peniston get the idea that Jerome could cheat on his typing test?
5. What sort of whale oil is an effective lubricant for the trigger devices of a hydrogen bomb?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)