|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Burnham's parting words to Epstein as he is leaving the Mess?
(a) "What about you? Do you work here?"
(b) "What time is our meeting this morning?"
(c) "It is an honor to meet you"
(d) "Where did you get your suit?"
2. What does Burnham want to do with the flame thrower?
(a) Learn how to make one himself.
(b) Torch Derry's room.
(c) Test his new status with the Pentagon.
(d) Sell it to the Russians.
3. What does Mr. Renfro bring to Burnham's office?
(a) A POTUS phone.
(b) A document shredder.
(c) Orders for a new office.
(d) Burnham's new pass for his "Q" clearance.
4. Although he is actually a speech writer for the President of the U.S.A, who does Timothy Burnham "officially" work for?
(a) The Washington Post.
(b) The American Broadcasting System.
(c) The Central Intelligence Agency.
(d) The Department of Energy.
5. When he meets him at the Mess, what does Cobb have to tell Burnham about?
(a) That he was installing a POTUS phone in Burnham's office that day.
(b) That the White House had, in fact, bugged his wife's car.
(c) That a mandatory staff meeting was happening that morning.
(d) The President requested him to write a toast speech for a dinner.
6. What sort of meeting does Pym meet Louise at?
(a) A catering convention.
(b) International Workers Party.
(c) American Nazi Party.
(d) A Union Organizational Meeting.
7. What happens when Burnham drops his Pass?
(a) He rips his pants.
(b) Seargant T laughs at him.
(c) The person behind him picks it up.
(d) An alarm goes off in the guard house.
8. How much longer is the President for whom Burnham writes speeches going to be in power?
(a) Four years.
(b) Over a year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Less than a month.
9. What is Burnham working on as the story opens?
(a) The President's Inaugural Speech.
(b) An official letter of congratulations.
(c) A college reference letter.
(d) A National Day of Prayer Proclamation.
10. Who does Burnham praise in the speech he wrote for the President?
(a) The pasha of Banda.
(b) The people of Banda.
(c) The President's policies in Banda.
(d) Banda's recent peacefuland democratic elections.
11. What has Mr. Pym said he was a collector of that Ivy could get for him in return for his help?
(a) Old Stamps.
(c) "People Trivia"
(d) Signed baseballs.
12. Whose speech does Burnham hear while at college in 1960?
(a) McGeorge Bundy.
(b) Che Guevera.
(c) Mao Tse-tung.
(d) Fidel Castro.
13. What is "the boom factor" ?
(a) The cost of materials for an atom bomb.
(b) A term only people with "Q" status would understand.
(c) Something Burnham made up.
(d) The amount of noise an atom bomb makes when it explodes.
14. Burnham's son, Christopher, is reading the horoscope from which magazine?
(a) Sports Illustrated.
(b) The Lampoon.
(d) Rolling Stone.
15. How much money per paycheck is Burnham's pay raise worth?
(a) Forty eight dollars and seventeen cents.
(b) One hundred dollars.
(c) Four hundred and fifty dollars.
(d) Twenty eight dollars and thirteen cents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivy think that Mr. Pym wants?
2. What does Mr. Pym say to Ivy that makes her think he could help her?
3. Why does Sergeant T have Burnham halt at the guard house?
4. According to this book, what is the unemployment rate for black males in Washington DC at the time?
5. Where does Ivy Peniston get the idea that Jerome could cheat on his typing test?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)