|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What sort of whale oil is an effective lubricant for the trigger devices of a hydrogen bomb?
(a) Sperm whale oil.
(b) Blue whale oil.
(c) Killer whale oil.
(d) Orcha whale oil.
2. What has Mr. Pym said he was a collector of that Ivy could get for him in return for his help?
(a) Signed baseballs.
(b) Old Stamps.
(d) "People Trivia"
3. Why does Ivy Peniston believe Mr. Joslin should bend the rules for Jerome?
(a) She will go to the press with the story if he will not help her.
(b) She knows Mr. Joslin bends the rules all the time.
(c) Because he is the kind of person America should want to help.
(d) She is offering Mr. Joslin money for the favor.
4. The first morning after Sarah kicked him out and he is having coffee in the Mess, why is Burnham humming when Cobb showed up at his table?
(a) To hide the fact he was upset about his personal problems.
(b) To hum along to the tunes playing on the Mess sound system.
(c) Humming was a constant activity for him.
(d) To block out the conversation at the next table.
5. Why does Pym blush when Eva asks why he is interested in the prescription?
(a) He is embarrased to have Ivy in the house.
(b) He has had to much sherry.
(c) He has just spilled sherry while filling up Eva's glass.
(d) He is lying to Eva.
6. How does Sarah demonstrate that she is serious about one of them leaving?
(a) She offers to leave if he can take care of the children.
(b) She dressed in a tweed suit.
(c) She insists he resign from his job.
(d) She packed one suitcase for him and one suitcase for her.
7. How does the President feel about Epstein?
(a) He respected his politcal savvy.
(b) He relied on his connections to the CIA.
(c) He didn't like him but he needed him.
(d) He needed the votes he could bring in from Louisiana.
8. How does Burnham describe the task he is working on as the story begins?
(a) It is an easy task that he hopes to finish quickly.
(b) It is a waste of his time and talent.
(c) It is going to be a masterpiece when he is finished.
(d) It is a struggle between Church and State.
9. What had Light Colonel Clip Dixon done to get demoted?
(a) He had almost crashed Air Force One.
(b) He had repeated something the President had said to him in private.
(c) His flights were consistantly behind schedule.
(d) He had shown up for work drunk.
10. After he confronts Epstein in the Mess, why does Burnham feel terrific?
(a) He felt well taken care of by Cobb.
(b) He had become an actor instead of a reactor.
(c) He was starting to feel better about his personal problems.
(d) He was honored to be writing the speech for the President.
11. What kind of information will Burnham have access to with "Q" status?
(a) Classified computer disks containing information from the CIA.
(b) Personel files.
(c) Atomic energy documents.
(d) The President's agenda
12. The toaster and the coffee maker in the kitchen are from which foreign countries?
(a) Thailand and Denmark.
(b) China and the Phillipines.
(c) Mexico and Canada.
(d) Japan and Germany.
13. Who does the fellow who claimed to have an appointment with the President, take his orders from?
(a) The Soviet Union.
(b) Mr. Pym.
(c) The CIA.
(d) His toaster.
14. What are Burnham's parting words to Epstein as he is leaving the Mess?
(a) "Where did you get your suit?"
(b) "What time is our meeting this morning?"
(c) "It is an honor to meet you"
(d) "What about you? Do you work here?"
15. When he meets him at the Mess, what does Cobb have to tell Burnham about?
(a) That a mandatory staff meeting was happening that morning.
(b) That the White House had, in fact, bugged his wife's car.
(c) The President requested him to write a toast speech for a dinner.
(d) That he was installing a POTUS phone in Burnham's office that day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Burnham think about contact from the President?
2. How does Ivy know she has "struck the mother lode" when she enters the office?
3. What is "Q" Clearance?
4. How long has Burnham been married to Sarah?
5. What does Ivy think that Mr. Pym wants?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)