Four Week Quiz A
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should happen with the English alphabet, according to Shaw?
(a) It should be completely modified to conform with classical Greek letters.
(b) It should be simplified to include only the most essential letters.
(c) It should be increased to the size of the Russian alphabet.
(d) It should be the same as the Spanish alphabet.
2. Why can't Liza read what Higgins writes?
(a) She is uneducated and has never learned how to read.
(b) It is written in a cryptic code.
(c) It is written in French, a language she doesn't know.
(d) He uses a phonetic alphabet.
3. What does Higgins think of the way the Flower Girl speaks?
(a) It is disgusting and depressing, and an insult to the English language.
(b) It makes her sound uneducated, but it is quaint and cute.
(c) He is offended by the curse words she uses, saying it is improper for a lady.
(d) He thinks she has a natural poetic gift.
4. When does Shaw first become interested in the subject of phonetics?
(a) In the 1850s.
(b) Around 1890.
(c) In the 1870s.
(d) Around 1910.
5. Why is Clara annoyed with her mother?
(a) She doesn't give the Flower Girl any money.
(b) She acts superior to the Flower Girl.
(c) She won't buy any flowers for Clara.
(d) She gives the Flower Girl too much money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the taxicab driver realize about Liza that humiliates her?
2. Which system does Shaw use to write his Preface?
3. Which is true of Pygmalion at the time Shaw wrote his Preface?
4. What is Freddy looking for at the beginning of Act 1?
5. Why does Liza become upset with Higgins?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)