|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the recording of the interview between the Police Commissioner and Maxie Hammerman?
(b) Filed with the newspapers.
(c) The New York City Police Department.
(d) Maxie's office.
2. What does Maxie tell the Police Commissioner he meant by the notation "By Hand" beside Anna's name?
(a) That Anna requires that he use only hand tools.
(b) That Anna expected to be greeted with a wave.
(c) That Anna was to serve up lunch by hand.
(d) That Anna had caused her flats by hand.
3. Where does Maxie say he plans to be when The Three come to his shop?
(a) At the Police Commissioner's house.
(b) At a meeting of the pushcart vendors.
(c) At Eddie Maroney's.
(d) At his shop.
4. What is used as darts for Frank's dartboard?
(b) Push pins.
(c) Darning needles.
(d) Pea tacks.
5. How long does it take for the truck tires to be repaired so that the trucks return to the streets?
(a) A week.
(b) A month.
(c) A day.
(d) An hour.
6. What happens to make Mack lose control of his truck?
(a) A load of apples crashes into the windshield.
(b) He dodges a pedestrian.
(c) General Anna screams.
(d) A pushcart axle crashes into the windshield.
7. What does General Anna say should be a condition of the peace?
(a) That there be only taxis in the city.
(b) That there be only trains in the city.
(c) That there be only big trucks in the city.
(d) That there be no trucks in the city.
8. Where do the pushcart vendors meet to discuss the situation?
(a) At Maxie's.
(b) At Posey's.
(c) Under Manhattan Bridge.
(d) At Wenda Gambling's house.
9. Why does the Police Commissioner say he cannot arrest all the pushcart vendors?
(a) They will sue the city.
(b) There aren't enough cells to house them.
(c) The truckers would go on strike.
(d) The people would be angry.
10. Who is driving the truck that encounters the division on Greene Street?
(a) Albert P. Mack.
(b) Louie Livergeen.
(c) Big Moe.
(d) Maxie Hammerman.
11. Why does the Police Commissioner go to Mack's cell?
(a) He hears Mack's yelling from his office.
(b) He wants to see if Mack is ready to give up.
(c) He has complaints from Frank the Flower.
(d) He has complaints from the officers.
12. What is the first point of the manifesto signed by the truck drivers of the city?
(a) That all pushcart vendors be arrested.
(b) That pushcart vendors be fined for the flats they caused.
(c) That the Mayor step down from his office.
(d) That Maxie Hammerman be arrested.
13. Where do the pushcarts usually gather on Bleecker Street?
(a) On the corner next to the Park.
(b) Between Sixtieth and Seventieth Avenues.
(c) Between Sixth and Seventh Avenues.
(d) At Sunset Street.
14. What does the second grade class of Public School 42 say they'll miss if the pushcarts aren't allowed to operate?
(a) Peanuts for the squirrels on their playground.
(b) Apples for their teacher.
(c) Ice cream for themselves.
(d) Cardboard boxes for their school supplies.
15. What does the restaurant owner say he wants added to the charges against Mack?
(a) Breaking and Entering.
(b) Endangerng lives of customers.
(d) Theft of Property.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Larry Gilbert, age 8, say he'll miss if the pushcarts aren't allowed to operate?
2. What does General Anna say is the first thing the pushcart vendors must not do?
3. How long does the author say has passed since the pushcart war?
4. What does the Police Commissioner say will happen to anyone who breaks the truce?
5. How do the pushcart vendors learn about the Mayor's decision regarding pushcarts?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)