|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Claire believe Catherine about the proof?
2. What does Catherine try to destroy at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
3. Why does Robert yell at Catherine?
4. Why does Catherine claim she wrote the proof in one of Robert's notebook?
5. What does Claire do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has Catherine come from to check on Robert?
2. What does Claire think is the problem with mathematicians in emotional situations?
3. How does Catherine get Hal to leave?
4. Does Claire believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
5. Why is Robert so excited about working?
6. Describe Robert's demeanor throughout the scene.
7. Does Hal believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
8. Why or why not does Catherine want to attend the University of Chicago?
9. What is Robert examining in the proof?
10. How does Catherine meet Hal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Claire arranges for Catherine to move to New York, and sells their old house in Chicago.
1.) Is Catherine happy about the move? Why or why not?
2.) Why does Claire sell the house? Why does she make such a huge decision without consulting Catherine?
3.) Does Claire take advantage of the fact that she was the financial support during Robert's illness?
Essay Topic 2
Robert and Catherine have a very unique father/daughter relationship.
1.) Describe why their relationship is different from most. Are there any role reversals?
2.) Do Claire and Robert share a similar bond, or are Catherine and Robert two peas in a pod?
3.) They each have very specific fears they voice in the play. What are these fears? How do they differ? How are they similar?
Essay Topic 3
Robert is angry when Catherine tells him she is going to school.
1.) Does this instance parallel any other occurrence in the play where a character secretly make a big change?
2.) What is Robert worried about in regards to Catherine starting school?
3.) Is Catherine worried about Robert in this scene? How do their individual fears escalate the conversation?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)