|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose notebook is the proof written?
2. What has Catherine missed to come back to the house?
3. Does Hal go with them to dinner?
4. Why does Robert yell at Catherine?
5. What does Catherine ask Robert to do, after he shows her his latest ideas in the notebook?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where has Catherine come from to check on Robert?
2. Why has Robert decided to write on the porch?
3. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
4. Did Hal intentionally take advantage of Catherine when they slept together?
5. What decision has Catherine made about school?
6. Does Hal believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
7. When did Catherine write the proof?
8. Describe Robert's demeanor throughout the scene.
9. Describe why Claire allows Hal to take the notebook.
10. How does Catherine get Hal to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert is angry when Catherine tells him she is going to school.
1.) Does this instance parallel any other occurrence in the play where a character secretly make a big change?
2.) What is Robert worried about in regards to Catherine starting school?
3.) Is Catherine worried about Robert in this scene? How do their individual fears escalate the conversation?
Essay Topic 2
Claire arranges for Catherine to move to New York, and sells their old house in Chicago.
1.) Is Catherine happy about the move? Why or why not?
2.) Why does Claire sell the house? Why does she make such a huge decision without consulting Catherine?
3.) Does Claire take advantage of the fact that she was the financial support during Robert's illness?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contract Catherine and Claire. Though they are sisters, they have very different personalities.
1.) How did Claire want Robert's illness handled? How did Catherine want it handled?
2.) What pressure does Claire feel in regards to her family? What pressure does Catherine feel?
3.) How and why does Claire's intervention in her life offend Catherine?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)