|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Robert opposed to having for dinner?
2. What is the date in Act 2, Scene 1?
3. What does Catherine request for dinner?
4. Does Hal go with them to dinner?
5. What does Robert love about bookstores in September?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Robert's feelings differ between Catherine and Claire?
2. How does Catherine meet Hal?
3. Why or why not does Catherine want to attend the University of Chicago?
4. What does Claire think is the problem with mathematicians in emotional situations?
5. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
6. Describe why Claire allows Hal to take the notebook.
7. Is Robert upset that Catherine plans to leave? Why or why not?
8. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
9. Describe Robert's demeanor throughout the scene.
10. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Claire arranges for Catherine to move to New York, and sells their old house in Chicago.
1.) Is Catherine happy about the move? Why or why not?
2.) Why does Claire sell the house? Why does she make such a huge decision without consulting Catherine?
3.) Does Claire take advantage of the fact that she was the financial support during Robert's illness?
Essay Topic 2
After the funeral, Catherine and Hal spend the night together.
1.) What are the factors that bring them together?
2.) How are they each tied to the memory of Robert? Is Catherine warding off the pain by succumbing to something physical?
3.) Who is the aggressor? Are they equally attracted to each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of students in bookstores for Robert. When does the audience first hear it from Robert? What is the significance of the second time the audience hears Robert talk about students and bookstores? What are the implications for Robert as a teacher?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)