|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine try to destroy at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
2. Where will Catherine live while she is in school?
3. Why does Claire resent mathematicians?
4. What does Robert compare his creativity to?
5. How does Hal want to check the proof?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Robert's demeanor throughout the scene.
2. Describe why Claire allows Hal to take the notebook.
3. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
4. What decision has Catherine made about school?
5. How do Robert's feelings differ between Catherine and Claire?
6. Where has Catherine come from to check on Robert?
7. What is Robert examining in the proof?
8. How does Catherine react when Claire and Hal do not believe her?
9. Why is Robert so excited about working?
10. When did Catherine write the proof?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, there is a fine line between madness and genius; kindness and presumption. Discuss this fine line as it applies to:
Essay Topic 2
Catherine is angry and upset when Hal steals the notebook. She goes so far as to call the police, though he confesses as soon as she finds it and claims he wanted to give it back to her as a gift.
1.) Though he may have been planning to give it back, Hal attempted to steal on of her late father's possessions. Does Catherine overreact in this situation?
2.) What does Catherine think he may be trying to do with the information in the notebook?
Essay Topic 3
What are Catherine's arguments that she wrote the proof? What are Claire's arguments that she did not write the proof? Why is Hal skeptical? What is Catherine's explanation for her advanced understand of mathematics? At the climax of Act 1, Catherine tries to destroy the proof, though it is of extreme mathematical importance and she has poured her heart and soul into it. Why, at that point, is her only option to destroy it? Why does Claire stop her?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)