|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose notebook is the proof written?
2. Where does Catherine reveal she is going to school?
3. What does Catherine try to destroy at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
4. Why doesn't Catherine want Hal to take the notebook?
5. What does Robert say is finally working again?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why or why not does Catherine want to attend the University of Chicago?
2. Does Claire believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
3. Why has Robert decided to write on the porch?
4. Why is Robert so excited about working?
5. What is Robert examining in the proof?
6. Does Hal believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
7. How does Catherine meet Hal?
8. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
9. Describe why Claire allows Hal to take the notebook.
10. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While Hal is a mathematician and a doctoral candidate, he mishandles almost his entire relationship Catherine.
1.) Describe Hal and Catherine's relationship in chronological order, starting with their first meeting and moving through the end of Act 2.
2.) Does Hal really care for Catherine, or is he only interested in her proof?
3.) Could Hal's attraction to Catherine also be tangled up with his sorrow over Robert's death?
Essay Topic 2
Catherine is angry and upset when Hal steals the notebook. She goes so far as to call the police, though he confesses as soon as she finds it and claims he wanted to give it back to her as a gift.
1.) Though he may have been planning to give it back, Hal attempted to steal on of her late father's possessions. Does Catherine overreact in this situation?
2.) What does Catherine think he may be trying to do with the information in the notebook?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of students in bookstores for Robert. When does the audience first hear it from Robert? What is the significance of the second time the audience hears Robert talk about students and bookstores? What are the implications for Robert as a teacher?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)