|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think she has inherited?
2. How far behind in school is Catherine, according to Robert?
3. What does Robert ask Catherine to do?
4. Why is Catherine adamant that Robert could not have written the proof?
5. Whose handwriting does Claire think the proof is written in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did Hal intentionally take advantage of Catherine when they slept together?
2. Describe why Claire allows Hal to take the notebook.
3. Why or why not does Catherine want to attend the University of Chicago?
4. What decision has Catherine made about school?
5. Why has Hal come back to the house after the fight?
6. How does Catherine react when Claire and Hal do not believe her?
7. Does Claire believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
8. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
9. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
10. What do Robert and Catherine decide to do for dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contract Catherine and Claire. Though they are sisters, they have very different personalities.
1.) How did Claire want Robert's illness handled? How did Catherine want it handled?
2.) What pressure does Claire feel in regards to her family? What pressure does Catherine feel?
3.) How and why does Claire's intervention in her life offend Catherine?
Essay Topic 2
What role does time have in the play? How does the playwright use time loosely to share vital information about the characters and plot? Discuss the significance of Catherine's birthday. When does the date appear in the play? How many times?
Essay Topic 3
Claire says that mathematician don't think: they just create catastrophes and expect other people to come in and clean them up.
1.) How is this true of Robert? Of Hal? Of Catherine?
2.) Does Claire feel she is cleaning up Hal's mess? Robert's mess?
3.) Does Claire feel that Robert should have been in professional care? How would this have changed events in the play?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)