|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Catherine's drawer locked?
2. Why can't Robert concentrate in the house?
3. How far behind in school is Catherine, according to Robert?
4. At the end of the scene what doesn't Robert want Catherine to do?
5. Why doesn't Claire believe Catherine about the proof?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Claire worried about Catherine?
2. Did Hal intentionally take advantage of Catherine when they slept together?
3. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
4. When did Catherine write the proof?
5. Does Hal believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
6. What is Robert examining in the proof?
7. How does Catherine meet Hal?
8. Why is Robert so excited about working?
9. What decision has Catherine made about school?
10. Does Claire believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hal feels some sort of a connection to Catherine. When she is catatonic in bed, he insists to Claire that Catherine may talk to him.
1.) What events my have led Hal to feel more connected with Catherine?
2.) Could he feel guilty and somewhat responsible for her breakdown?
3.) Is Hal a victim of circumstance, or could he have handled the situation more graciously?
Essay Topic 2
While Hal is a mathematician and a doctoral candidate, he mishandles almost his entire relationship Catherine.
1.) Describe Hal and Catherine's relationship in chronological order, starting with their first meeting and moving through the end of Act 2.
2.) Does Hal really care for Catherine, or is he only interested in her proof?
3.) Could Hal's attraction to Catherine also be tangled up with his sorrow over Robert's death?
Essay Topic 3
Claire is a very different character from Catherine, but has a very distinct point of view in the play.
1.) What does Claire do for a living? Is she a mathematical person too?
2.) What was Claire's contribution during Robert's illness? How does this make Catherine somewhat beholden to her?
3.) Describe Claire's personality. How does she differ from Catherine and Robert?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)