|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert insist on, though it is freezing cold outside?
2. Where does Robert joke that Chicago beer comes from?
3. What is she paying for tuition?
4. What time of year is it in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. What does Hal have to give to Robert?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Catherine meet Hal?
2. How does Catherine react when Claire and Hal do not believe her?
3. Why or why not does Catherine want to attend the University of Chicago?
4. What is Robert examining in the proof?
5. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
6. Why has Hal come back to the house after the fight?
7. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
8. Where has Catherine come from to check on Robert?
9. How do Robert's feelings differ between Catherine and Claire?
10. Why is Claire worried about Catherine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the funeral, Catherine and Hal spend the night together.
1.) What are the factors that bring them together?
2.) How are they each tied to the memory of Robert? Is Catherine warding off the pain by succumbing to something physical?
3.) Who is the aggressor? Are they equally attracted to each other?
Essay Topic 2
Catherine is a complex character: for a young person, she has held an extraordinary amount of responsibility. However, according to her sister Claire, Catherine now cannot take care of herself.
1.) Cite three instances in the text where Claire's argument can be made, and Catherine's behavior is reprehensible.
2.) Is Claire justified in stepping into Catherine's life? In selling the house? In moving Catherine to New York?
3.) Is Claire trying to help Catherine out of a sense of sisterly love, or misplaced guilt over Robert's death?
Essay Topic 3
Claire is a very different character from Catherine, but has a very distinct point of view in the play.
1.) What does Claire do for a living? Is she a mathematical person too?
2.) What was Claire's contribution during Robert's illness? How does this make Catherine somewhat beholden to her?
3.) Describe Claire's personality. How does she differ from Catherine and Robert?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)