|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Hal encounter when he comes back to the house?
2. What does Catherine try to destroy at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
3. What is the time period in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. At the end of the scene what doesn't Robert want Catherine to do?
5. What does Catherine request for dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Claire worried about Catherine?
2. Why has Robert decided to write on the porch?
3. Where has Catherine come from to check on Robert?
4. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
5. Why is Robert so excited about working?
6. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
7. What decision has Catherine made about school?
8. Describe Robert's demeanor throughout the scene.
9. Why or why not does Catherine want to attend the University of Chicago?
10. How does Catherine meet Hal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, there is a fine line between madness and genius; kindness and presumption. Discuss this fine line as it applies to:
Essay Topic 2
Hal and Robert are each afraid of getting old and losing their edge. They think mathematics is a young man's game, and very quickly a mathematician is past his prime.
1.) Could this idea have anything to do with Robert's illness? He works so hard to match his former genius, but cannot---could this be a contributing factor?
2.) Hal jokes that he has resigned himself to a teaching position. Do you think there is more it? Is Hal disappointed in his own lack of genius?
3.) Describe the lengths mathematicians go to in order to retain their edge, as described by Hal. How competitive is this field?
Essay Topic 3
Claire says that mathematician don't think: they just create catastrophes and expect other people to come in and clean them up.
1.) How is this true of Robert? Of Hal? Of Catherine?
2.) Does Claire feel she is cleaning up Hal's mess? Robert's mess?
3.) Does Claire feel that Robert should have been in professional care? How would this have changed events in the play?
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)