|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Robert joke that Chicago beer comes from?
2. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think Catherine has inherited?
3. Why does Catherine claim she wrote the proof in one of Robert's notebook?
4. What does Catherine say to Hal that causes him to leave abruptly, and without the notebook?
5. Where is Robert sitting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Robert examining in the proof?
2. What does Claire think is the problem with mathematicians in emotional situations?
3. Why is Robert so excited about working?
4. Describe Robert's demeanor throughout the scene.
5. Why has Robert decided to write on the porch?
6. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
7. Describe why Claire allows Hal to take the notebook.
8. Is Robert upset that Catherine plans to leave? Why or why not?
9. When did Catherine write the proof?
10. Why is Claire worried about Catherine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hal feels some sort of a connection to Catherine. When she is catatonic in bed, he insists to Claire that Catherine may talk to him.
1.) What events my have led Hal to feel more connected with Catherine?
2.) Could he feel guilty and somewhat responsible for her breakdown?
3.) Is Hal a victim of circumstance, or could he have handled the situation more graciously?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of students in bookstores for Robert. When does the audience first hear it from Robert? What is the significance of the second time the audience hears Robert talk about students and bookstores? What are the implications for Robert as a teacher?
Essay Topic 3
While Hal is a mathematician and a doctoral candidate, he mishandles almost his entire relationship Catherine.
1.) Describe Hal and Catherine's relationship in chronological order, starting with their first meeting and moving through the end of Act 2.
2.) Does Hal really care for Catherine, or is he only interested in her proof?
3.) Could Hal's attraction to Catherine also be tangled up with his sorrow over Robert's death?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)