|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says they wrote the proof?
2. Where does Claire live?
3. How many notebooks did Robert leave behind?
4. Why is Hal able to put the notebooks in order?
5. Is Catherine pleased that Hal kisses her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hal's mood the morning after he and Catherine sleep together.
2. What does Claire think is the problem with mathematicians in emotional situations?
3. How does Catherine get Hal to leave?
4. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
5. Why has Hal come to the house?
6. How does Catherine react when Claire and Hal do not believe her?
7. Describe the general mood at the house after Robert's funeral.
8. What does Catherine give to Hal that morning? Where has Catherine been keeping the object ?
9. Does Claire believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
10. Robert was a graphomaniac. What does that mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert is angry when Catherine tells him she is going to school.
1.) Does this instance parallel any other occurrence in the play where a character secretly make a big change?
2.) What is Robert worried about in regards to Catherine starting school?
3.) Is Catherine worried about Robert in this scene? How do their individual fears escalate the conversation?
Essay Topic 2
Claire says that mathematician don't think: they just create catastrophes and expect other people to come in and clean them up.
1.) How is this true of Robert? Of Hal? Of Catherine?
2.) Does Claire feel she is cleaning up Hal's mess? Robert's mess?
3.) Does Claire feel that Robert should have been in professional care? How would this have changed events in the play?
Essay Topic 3
Catherine is angry and upset when Hal steals the notebook. She goes so far as to call the police, though he confesses as soon as she finds it and claims he wanted to give it back to her as a gift.
1.) Though he may have been planning to give it back, Hal attempted to steal on of her late father's possessions. Does Catherine overreact in this situation?
2.) What does Catherine think he may be trying to do with the information in the notebook?
This section contains 1,873 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)