|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire think of Hal when Catherine first tries to explain the events of the previous night?
2. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
3. What was Hal's state of mind when he met Catherine four years ago?
4. When is Claire's wedding, and where?
5. How do Catherine and Hal feel at the top of the scene?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Hal found in the locked drawer, and why is it so important?
2. When did Hal and Catherine first meet?
3. Does Hal think he will still have the next great mathematical revelation?
4. Why does Claire want Catherine to come to New York?
5. Why does Catherine demand to see Hal's backpack? Does she find anything?
6. How is Claire's personality different from Catherine's?
7. What is Hal's excuse for kissing Catherine?
8. Why is Claire so worried when Catherine cannot explain the police presence at the house the night before?
9. Who paid off the mortgage on the house? How?
10. Describe the general mood at the house after Robert's funeral.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
After the funeral, Catherine and Hal spend the night together.
1.) What are the factors that bring them together?
2.) How are they each tied to the memory of Robert? Is Catherine warding off the pain by succumbing to something physical?
3.) Who is the aggressor? Are they equally attracted to each other?
Essay Topic 2
Robert is angry when Catherine tells him she is going to school.
1.) Does this instance parallel any other occurrence in the play where a character secretly make a big change?
2.) What is Robert worried about in regards to Catherine starting school?
3.) Is Catherine worried about Robert in this scene? How do their individual fears escalate the conversation?
Essay Topic 3
What role does time have in the play? How does the playwright use time loosely to share vital information about the characters and plot? Discuss the significance of Catherine's birthday. When does the date appear in the play? How many times?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)