Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Claire want Catherine to stay, instead of coming back to the house to care for Robert?
2. Why is Claire concerned after speaking with the policemen?
3. What does Claire want to do after the funeral?
4. Why is Hal hesitant after Catherine asks him about sex at the Conference?
5. What organic chemical(s) is contained in the beauty product Claire wishes Catherine to try?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Claire believe that Catherine wrote the proof? Why or why not?
2. Why is Hal insistent on going through all of Robert's notebooks?
3. How does Catherine get Hal to leave?
4. Why has Hal decided that Catherine wrote the proof?
5. Why was Hal the first person to whom Catherine showed the proof?
6. Why is the date in the scene particularly significant?
7. Is Hal personally conflicted about taking the notebook?
8. How is Claire's personality different from Catherine's?
9. How does Catherine describe Robert's mathematical processes?
10. Why or why not does Catherine want to attend the University of Chicago?
Essay Topic 1
After the funeral, Catherine and Hal spend the night together.
1.) What are the factors that bring them together?
2.) How are they each tied to the memory of Robert? Is Catherine warding off the pain by succumbing to something physical?
3.) Who is the aggressor? Are they equally attracted to each other?
Essay Topic 2
Hal admits at the end of Act 2 not only that the proof is correct, but that he was wrong and should have believe Catherine the first time. How does this admission vindicate her? She proceeds not to explicitly forgive him, but does agree to sit down and explain the proof. Is this perhaps the first time she has ever had the opportunity to talk to anyone about her work? What fear does she reveal to Hal? What are the implications for the future as she begins to explain the proof to Hal?
Essay Topic 3
Robert is angry when Catherine tells him she is going to school.
1.) Does this instance parallel any other occurrence in the play where a character secretly make a big change?
2.) What is Robert worried about in regards to Catherine starting school?
3.) Is Catherine worried about Robert in this scene? How do their individual fears escalate the conversation?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)