|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the lighting direction at the end of the scene?
2. What mathematical principle is associated with Sophie Germain?
3. Why is Hal able to put the notebooks in order?
4. What does Catherine insist on searching before Hal leaves?
5. When is Claire's wedding, and where?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Hal's mood the morning after he and Catherine sleep together.
2. Why has Hal come to the house?
3. Why is Hal sensitive about getting older?
4. How does Hal describe the mathematicians at his conferences?
5. Why is Hal insistent on going through all of Robert's notebooks?
6. What is Hal's song Imaginary Number?
7. Describe Catherine's reaction when she discovers the notebook.
8. Why is Claire so worried when Catherine cannot explain the police presence at the house the night before?
9. What does Catherine give to Hal that morning? Where has Catherine been keeping the object ?
10. What does Claire plan to do with the house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert is angry when Catherine tells him she is going to school.
1.) Does this instance parallel any other occurrence in the play where a character secretly make a big change?
2.) What is Robert worried about in regards to Catherine starting school?
3.) Is Catherine worried about Robert in this scene? How do their individual fears escalate the conversation?
Essay Topic 2
Claire is a very different character from Catherine, but has a very distinct point of view in the play.
1.) What does Claire do for a living? Is she a mathematical person too?
2.) What was Claire's contribution during Robert's illness? How does this make Catherine somewhat beholden to her?
3.) Describe Claire's personality. How does she differ from Catherine and Robert?
Essay Topic 3
When Catherine stays in bed for a week, Claire cancels her flight to take care of her.
1.) Does Catherine appreciate Claire staying behind to help her?
2.) Does Claire simply feel obligated to stay, or is she truly concerned for Catherine?
3.) Is Claire too quick to assume that Catherine may have a mental health problem?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)