|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hal encounter when he comes back to the house?
2. What does Catherine request for dinner?
(a) Salad, margaritas, and cake.
(b) Soup, bread, and irish coffee.
(c) Steak, cheap beer, and potatoes.
(d) Chicken, fine wine, and celery.
3. What object does Claire give to Hal before he leaves?
(a) A sheet of paper.
(b) A plane ticket.
(c) The notebook.
(d) A coffee cup.
4. What does Hal accidentally remind Robert when he says they will meet in a week, on the eleventh?
(a) Today is Claire's birthday.
(b) Today is Catherine's birthday.
(c) Today is Hal's birthday.
(d) Today is Robert's anniversary.
5. What does Hal have to give to Robert?
(a) A book he borrowed back before Robert's illness.
(b) A get well soon card.
(c) A manila envelope containing a rough draft of his thesis.
(d) An invitation to a party where his band is playing.
6. Whose handwriting does Claire think the proof is written in?
(a) Her own handwriting.
(b) Catherine's handwriting.
(c) Robert's handwriting.
(d) Hal' handwriting.
7. When Claire asks Catherine to recite the proof, how does Catherine reply?
(a) "I can't recite it, because I didn't write it."
(b) "I'll recite it, but only to Hal."
(c) "Okay, fine. Here goes."
(d) "I didn't memorize it. It's not a muffin recipe!"
8. What does Robert compare his creativity to?
(a) Jumping onto a train.
(b) Sitting on a geyser.
(c) Falling asleep in bed.
(d) Walking down the street.
9. Who will help her pay for living expenses--books, food, gas, etc?
10. Where is Robert sitting?
(a) In his study.
(b) On the front lawn.
(c) On the porch.
(d) In the kitchen.
11. Why does Claire trust Hal with the object?
(a) She cannot trust Robert with the object and Hal is the next best choice.
(b) She has no idea.
(c) She is in love with him and would believe anything he says.
(d) She thinks he is an idiot, but not dishonest.
12. Why is Hal huffy when Claire guesses why he has come to the house?
(a) He wants to see Catherine, but feels it is his professional duty to collect the notebook.
(b) He has come exclusively to see Catherine, and does not care about the notebook at all.
(c) He hates Claire and never wants her to speak to him again.
(d) He dislikes Catherine and does not want Claire to speak of her.
13. What does Claire concede to Hal at the end of their conversation?
(a) She agrees to let him visit Catherine in Chicago.
(b) She agress to let him visit Catherine in New York.
(c) She agrees to let him call Catherine in Chicago.
(d) She agrees to let him call Catherine in New York.
14. Why does Catherine claim she wrote the proof in one of Robert's notebook?
(a) She only writes in certain types of notebooks, which Robert happened to have.
(b) She bought the notebooks for him in bulk, and there were extras.
(c) She thought she would publish the proof under his name.
(d) She wanted to confuse Hal, with whom she is angry.
15. What does Robert ask Catherine to do?
(a) He asks her to work with him.
(b) He asks her to stay out of his research.
(c) He asks her to leave him alone.
(d) He asks her to move back home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Catherine want Hal to take the notebook?
2. What does Claire ask Hal to do before he leaves?
3. What is the stage direction for Catherine reading the proof?
4. Where does Robert joke that Chicago beer comes from?
5. What does Claire do for a living?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)