|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose notebook is the proof written?
(a) In Claire's notebook.
(b) In Catherine's notebook.
(c) In Hal's notebook.
(d) In Robert's notebook.
2. What does Claire ask Hal to do before he leaves?
(a) She asks him to explain the proof to her.
(b) She asks him to come visit in Chicago.
(c) She asks him never to come back.
(d) She asks him to come visit in New York.
3. Why does Claire resent mathematicians?
(a) She is a writer, and believes the arts are more important than sciences.
(b) She is jealous of mathematicians' talent, and wishes she could be a mathematician herself.
(c) She is a physicist, and the resent between the two professions runs deep.
(d) She feels that mathematicians do not think their actions through.
4. Why doesn't Catherine want Hal to take the notebook?
(a) She is upset that he is trying to claim Robert's proof as his own.
(b) She is in love with him and does not want him to leave at all, ever again.
(c) She is in love with him, but angry that is is trying to steal Claire's proof.
(d) She is upset that he does not believe her, and thinks he will try to steal her proof.
5. What is the time period in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Four years earlier than the events in Act 1.
(b) The same time period as the events in Act 1.
(c) Four years after the events in Act 1.
(d) Four minutes after the events in Act 1.
6. What is the lighting cue at the end of the scene?
(a) Lights to half.
(b) Lights to full.
7. What is she paying for tuition?
(a) She is paying half, and the other half is paid by scholarships.
(b) Nothing; she is getting a free ride.
(c) She is paying three-quarters, and the rest is a combination of scholarships and loans.
(d) She is paying full tuition, and has worked out a payment plan.
8. What does Catherine say to Hal that causes him to leave abruptly, and without the notebook?
(a) She says that she loves him and always has, and wants to marry him as soon as possible.
(b) She says that she does not approve of his relationship with Claire.
(c) She says that he barely finished his Ph.D., does research that does not matter, and played in an awful band.
(d) She says that he killed Robert and she can prove it.
9. Does Hal think he can help Catherine?
(a) No, he thinks only Robert can help Catherine now.
(b) No, he thinks she is completely fragile and Clare should take care of her.
(c) Yes, he thinks he will take care of her when she moves in with him.
(d) Yes, he thinks she is tough and should have a say in whether she stays or goes.
10. What time of year is it in Act 2, Scene 4?
11. Why can't Robert concentrate in the house?
(a) The house is too bright and giving him a headache.
(b) The heat is not working and the house is too cold.
(c) The radiators are clanking and the house is too hot.
(d) The electricity is off and the house is too dark.
12. When does the first scene on Act 2 take place?
(a) It takes place at the same time as Act 1
(b) It takes place five years after Act 1
(c) It takes place an instant after the end of Act 1
(d) It takes place five years before Act 1
13. What is Catherine's explanation as to why she wrote the proof?
(a) She was so excited about math and life that the ideas could not be stopped.
(b) She does not claim to have written the proof.
(c) She was depressed because she had to quit school and move home, and decided she could learn the math herself.
(d) She was jealous of Robert and vowed that she could come up with something better.
14. Whose handwriting does Claire think the proof is written in?
(a) Her own handwriting.
(b) Hal' handwriting.
(c) Catherine's handwriting.
(d) Robert's handwriting.
15. Why doesn't Claire believe Catherine about the proof?
(a) She wrote the proof herself.
(b) She knows that Catherine is terrible at mathematics.
(c) She knows that Robert wrote the proof--he told her before his death.
(d) She thinks Catherine is emotionally unstable.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Catherine come to the house?
2. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think Catherine has inherited?
3. Does Hal go with them to dinner?
4. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think she has inherited?
5. Who or what interrupts Catherine and Robert's argument?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)