|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think Catherine has inherited?
(a) More than Claire, but Claire is not sure how much more.
(b) One half.
(c) One quarter.
(d) Less than Claire, but Claire is not sure how much less.
2. According to Robert, if the thesis "feels done," then...
(a) It should be published right away.
(b) It should be put down for a month and then rechecked.
(c) It is done! Congratulations.
(d) There are major errors.
3. Does Hal think he took advantage of Catherine by sleeping with her?
(a) No, he feels guiltless because Catherine is a shamless hussy.
(b) Yes, he is wracked with guilt and wants to turn himself in.
(c) Yes, but he feels guiltless because Catherine led him on.
(d) No, he insists they both wanted it.
4. Who does Hal think has written the proof?
5. What time of year is it in Act 2, Scene 4?
6. Why does Claire resent mathematicians?
(a) She feels that mathematicians do not think their actions through.
(b) She is jealous of mathematicians' talent, and wishes she could be a mathematician herself.
(c) She is a writer, and believes the arts are more important than sciences.
(d) She is a physicist, and the resent between the two professions runs deep.
7. Where does Catherine reveal she is going to school?
(a) The University of Chicago.
(b) New York University.
(d) The University of San Diego.
8. Why has Catherine waited so long to inform Robert of her plans?
(a) She knew he would be incredibly angry, and wanted to give him as little choice as possible in the matter.
(b) Until recently, she had no desire to return to school, thinking it dull and predictable.
(c) She was on the waiting list at the school, and was not certain she would be accepted.
(d) Until recently, she was not sure if he was truly better, and worried she may need to stay with him.
9. What are the subjects of the proof?
(a) Warm months, cold months, and students in bookstores.
(b) The speed of light.
(c) The inverse relationships between love and hate.
(d) Atomic subatomic forces.
10. Where is Robert sitting?
(a) On the porch.
(b) In his study.
(c) In the kitchen.
(d) On the front lawn.
11. What does Robert say is finally working again?
(a) The radiators.
(b) His eyes, which have been bothering him.
(c) His television.
(d) The machinery, or, his mathematical genius.
12. What is the date in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) January 4th.
(b) September 4th.
(c) June 4th.
(d) March 4th.
13. Why doesn't Catherine want Hal to take the notebook?
(a) She is upset that he does not believe her, and thinks he will try to steal her proof.
(b) She is upset that he is trying to claim Robert's proof as his own.
(c) She is in love with him and does not want him to leave at all, ever again.
(d) She is in love with him, but angry that is is trying to steal Claire's proof.
14. When does the first scene on Act 2 take place?
(a) It takes place an instant after the end of Act 1
(b) It takes place five years before Act 1
(c) It takes place at the same time as Act 1
(d) It takes place five years after Act 1
15. What does Catherine say to Hal that causes him to leave abruptly, and without the notebook?
(a) She says that he barely finished his Ph.D., does research that does not matter, and played in an awful band.
(b) She says that she loves him and always has, and wants to marry him as soon as possible.
(c) She says that she does not approve of his relationship with Claire.
(d) She says that he killed Robert and she can prove it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert ask Catherine to do?
2. What does Claire think about Hal's relationship with Catherine?
3. What does Robert compare his creativity to?
4. What does Claire think about Hal's suggestion to check the proof?
5. What does Robert love about bookstores in September?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)