|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Hal want to speak with upon his return to the house?
2. What does Catherine request for dinner?
(a) Soup, bread, and irish coffee.
(b) Steak, cheap beer, and potatoes.
(c) Salad, margaritas, and cake.
(d) Chicken, fine wine, and celery.
3. Why does Robert yell at Catherine?
(a) She insulted and upset him.
(b) He wants her to go on a walk with him, but she will not.
(c) He wants her to read the proof aloud, and she does not want to.
(d) He does not understand her mathematics, and gets upset.
4. Why does Claire give the object to Hal?
(a) She wants to sabotage Catherine.
(b) She is trying to win his love.
(c) She thinks someone needs to find out what is in it.
(d) She is hiding the object from Robert.
5. Does Hal think he took advantage of Catherine by sleeping with her?
(a) No, he feels guiltless because Catherine is a shamless hussy.
(b) Yes, he is wracked with guilt and wants to turn himself in.
(c) Yes, but he feels guiltless because Catherine led him on.
(d) No, he insists they both wanted it.
6. What does Robert compare his creativity to?
(a) Walking down the street.
(b) Falling asleep in bed.
(c) Jumping onto a train.
(d) Sitting on a geyser.
7. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think she has inherited?
(a) One-one thousandth.
(b) One-one hundredth.
8. Who does Hal think has written the proof?
9. Robert says he feels like no time has passed since he was...
(a) A child.
10. Why doesn't Claire believe Catherine about the proof?
(a) She knows that Robert wrote the proof--he told her before his death.
(b) She knows that Catherine is terrible at mathematics.
(c) She thinks Catherine is emotionally unstable.
(d) She wrote the proof herself.
11. What was Robert secretly terrified of, in regards to his career?
(a) He was afraid that Hal would rise up and steal his glory.
(b) He was afraid that Catherine would get credit for his ideas.
(c) He was afraid that he would never work again.
(d) He was afraid that he would never get a break from work.
12. What object does Claire give to Hal before he leaves?
(a) A sheet of paper.
(b) A plane ticket.
(c) The notebook.
(d) A coffee cup.
13. What does Catherine say to Hal that causes him to leave abruptly, and without the notebook?
(a) She says that he killed Robert and she can prove it.
(b) She says that she does not approve of his relationship with Claire.
(c) She says that he barely finished his Ph.D., does research that does not matter, and played in an awful band.
(d) She says that she loves him and always has, and wants to marry him as soon as possible.
14. What does Claire think about Hal's relationship with Catherine?
(a) She thinks Catherine made a huge mistake in marrying Hal.
(b) She thinks Hal should be in a relationship with her, not Catherine.
(c) She thinks Catherine is fragile and Hal took complete advantage of her.
(d) She thinks Hal and Catherine would have a beautiful relationship if they could just give it a chance.
15. What does Claire ask Hal to do before he leaves?
(a) She asks him to come visit in New York.
(b) She asks him to come visit in Chicago.
(c) She asks him never to come back.
(d) She asks him to explain the proof to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Catherine adamant that Robert could not have written the proof?
2. What is she paying for tuition?
3. What is Catherine's explanation as to why she wrote the proof?
4. Where does Robert joke that Chicago beer comes from?
5. According to Robert, if the thesis "feels done," then...
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)