|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Catherine try to destroy at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She tries to detroy the house.
(b) She tries to destroy the notebook.
(c) She tries to destroy her relationship with Claire.
(d) She tries to destroy her relationship with Robert.
2. What was Robert secretly terrified of, in regards to his career?
(a) He was afraid that Catherine would get credit for his ideas.
(b) He was afraid that he would never work again.
(c) He was afraid that he would never get a break from work.
(d) He was afraid that Hal would rise up and steal his glory.
3. Where does Catherine reveal she is going to school?
(a) The University of Chicago.
(b) The University of San Diego.
(d) New York University.
4. Why is Hal huffy when Claire guesses why he has come to the house?
(a) He dislikes Catherine and does not want Claire to speak of her.
(b) He wants to see Catherine, but feels it is his professional duty to collect the notebook.
(c) He has come exclusively to see Catherine, and does not care about the notebook at all.
(d) He hates Claire and never wants her to speak to him again.
5. What does Robert insist on, though it is freezing cold outside?
(a) He wants to sit on the porch and stargaze.
(b) He wants to go over the proof with Catherine on the porch.
(c) He wants to pitch a tent outside and camp.
(d) He wants to go for a walk with Catherine.
6. Whose handwriting does Claire think the proof is written in?
(a) Her own handwriting.
(b) Catherine's handwriting.
(c) Hal' handwriting.
(d) Robert's handwriting.
7. What does Catherine request for dinner?
(a) Salad, margaritas, and cake.
(b) Steak, cheap beer, and potatoes.
(c) Chicken, fine wine, and celery.
(d) Soup, bread, and irish coffee.
8. Why is Catherine adamant that Robert could not have written the proof?
(a) Because she knows that Claire wrote the proof and is keeping it a secret.
(b) Because the proof is incorrect and full of errors, and Robert never made errors.
(c) Because, even during the good year when he was lucid, he was not able to do mathematics.
(d) Because, though he asked her to keep his secret, she knows that Hal wrote the proof.
9. Who does Hal encounter when he comes back to the house?
10. What has Catherine missed to come back to the house?
(a) She has missed a date.
(b) She has missed a class.
(c) She has missed a shift at work.
(d) She has missed her favorite television program.
11. Robert says he is satisfied with Claire, but he is _______ of/with/to Catherine?
12. Why is Hal skeptical about Catherine's claim?
(a) He thinks Robert may have written the groundbreaking proof, then later explained it to Catherine.
(b) Robert told him all about the proof before his death.
(c) He thinks Catherine is just trying to impress him because they spend the night together.
(d) He has already written the proof, and wonders how she stole his idea.
13. Why doesn't Claire believe Catherine about the proof?
(a) She knows that Robert wrote the proof--he told her before his death.
(b) She knows that Catherine is terrible at mathematics.
(c) She thinks Catherine is emotionally unstable.
(d) She wrote the proof herself.
14. Why does Catherine claim she wrote the proof in one of Robert's notebook?
(a) She wanted to confuse Hal, with whom she is angry.
(b) She only writes in certain types of notebooks, which Robert happened to have.
(c) She bought the notebooks for him in bulk, and there were extras.
(d) She thought she would publish the proof under his name.
15. What does Claire ask Hal to do before he leaves?
(a) She asks him to come visit in New York.
(b) She asks him to come visit in Chicago.
(c) She asks him never to come back.
(d) She asks him to explain the proof to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the lighting cue at the end of the scene?
2. Why does Claire resent mathematicians?
3. Why does Robert yell at Catherine?
4. Why does Claire trust Hal with the object?
5. What does Catherine ask Robert to do, after he shows her his latest ideas in the notebook?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)