|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the scene what doesn't Robert want Catherine to do?
(a) He does not want her to leave.
(b) He does not want her to go inside.
(c) He does not want her to stay.
(d) He does not want her to go on a walk.
2. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think Catherine has inherited?
(a) One quarter.
(b) More than Claire, but Claire is not sure how much more.
(c) One half.
(d) Less than Claire, but Claire is not sure how much less.
3. What does Hal accidentally remind Robert when he says they will meet in a week, on the eleventh?
(a) Today is Robert's anniversary.
(b) Today is Catherine's birthday.
(c) Today is Hal's birthday.
(d) Today is Claire's birthday.
4. What does Robert love about bookstores in September?
(a) The smell of coffee that wafts outside.
(b) He loves watching the students browsing throughout an afternoon.
(c) He loves how empty the bookstores are.
(d) He loves how precisely and quickly students find the books they are looking for.
5. Does Hal go with them to dinner?
(a) Yes, but he is uncomfortable and leaves before dinner arrives.
(b) No, he needs to take his thesis back and work on it.
(c) Yes, they have a lovely time.
(d) No, he can't, he has plans.
6. According to Robert, if the thesis "feels done," then...
(a) There are major errors.
(b) It is done! Congratulations.
(c) It should be published right away.
(d) It should be put down for a month and then rechecked.
7. What are the subjects of the proof?
(a) Warm months, cold months, and students in bookstores.
(b) Atomic subatomic forces.
(c) The speed of light.
(d) The inverse relationships between love and hate.
8. Does Hal think he took advantage of Catherine by sleeping with her?
(a) No, he insists they both wanted it.
(b) Yes, but he feels guiltless because Catherine led him on.
(c) Yes, he is wracked with guilt and wants to turn himself in.
(d) No, he feels guiltless because Catherine is a shamless hussy.
9. Where does Catherine reveal she is going to school?
(b) The University of San Diego.
(c) New York University.
(d) The University of Chicago.
10. Why has Claire delayed her flight back home?
(a) She has delayed her flight because she is writing her own proof to rival the one in the notebook.
(b) She has delayed her flight because she no longer wants to return to New York.
(c) She has delayed her flight because she and Mitch had a fight.
(d) She has delayed her flight because Catherine will not eat, talk, or get out of bed.
11. Who does Hal want to speak with upon his return to the house?
12. Why is Catherine adamant that Robert could not have written the proof?
(a) Because she knows that Claire wrote the proof and is keeping it a secret.
(b) Because, even during the good year when he was lucid, he was not able to do mathematics.
(c) Because, though he asked her to keep his secret, she knows that Hal wrote the proof.
(d) Because the proof is incorrect and full of errors, and Robert never made errors.
13. What does Claire ask Hal to do before he leaves?
(a) She asks him to come visit in Chicago.
(b) She asks him never to come back.
(c) She asks him to explain the proof to her.
(d) She asks him to come visit in New York.
14. Why has Catherine waited so long to inform Robert of her plans?
(a) Until recently, she was not sure if he was truly better, and worried she may need to stay with him.
(b) She was on the waiting list at the school, and was not certain she would be accepted.
(c) Until recently, she had no desire to return to school, thinking it dull and predictable.
(d) She knew he would be incredibly angry, and wanted to give him as little choice as possible in the matter.
15. Where does Robert joke that Chicago beer comes from?
(a) A secret brewery.
(b) Lake Michigan.
(c) New York City.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire do for a living?
2. What does Robert begin to write at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. When Claire asks Catherine to recite the proof, how does Catherine reply?
4. What has Catherine missed to come back to the house?
5. Why is Hal skeptical about Catherine's claim?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)