|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Robert yell at Catherine?
(a) She insulted and upset him.
(b) He does not understand her mathematics, and gets upset.
(c) He wants her to read the proof aloud, and she does not want to.
(d) He wants her to go on a walk with him, but she will not.
2. Why has Catherine come to the house?
(a) She missed home and wanted to visit.
(b) She just happened to be driving by.
(c) She and Robert had planned to have dinner.
(d) No one picked up the phone when she called, and she got worried.
3. What else did Hal find in the drawer?
(a) Catherine's diary.
(b) Important legal documents.
(c) Nothing, just the notebook.
(d) Ten more notebooks full of ideas.
4. What does Robert love about bookstores in September?
(a) The smell of coffee that wafts outside.
(b) He loves how empty the bookstores are.
(c) He loves how precisely and quickly students find the books they are looking for.
(d) He loves watching the students browsing throughout an afternoon.
5. Why does Claire give the object to Hal?
(a) She is hiding the object from Robert.
(b) She thinks someone needs to find out what is in it.
(c) She is trying to win his love.
(d) She wants to sabotage Catherine.
6. What is the stage direction for Catherine reading the proof?
(a) Vivaciously, with excitement.
(b) Slowly, without inflection.
(c) Quietly, in disbelief.
(d) Quickly and angrily.
7. How far behind in school is Catherine, according to Robert?
(a) At least a month.
(b) At least a year.
(c) At least two months.
(d) At least two years.
8. Who or what interrupts Catherine and Robert's argument?
(b) A phone call.
9. Does Hal think he took advantage of Catherine by sleeping with her?
(a) No, he feels guiltless because Catherine is a shamless hussy.
(b) Yes, he is wracked with guilt and wants to turn himself in.
(c) Yes, but he feels guiltless because Catherine led him on.
(d) No, he insists they both wanted it.
10. Where does Catherine reveal she is going to school?
(b) The University of Chicago.
(c) The University of San Diego.
(d) New York University.
11. Why has Catherine waited so long to inform Robert of her plans?
(a) She was on the waiting list at the school, and was not certain she would be accepted.
(b) Until recently, she was not sure if he was truly better, and worried she may need to stay with him.
(c) She knew he would be incredibly angry, and wanted to give him as little choice as possible in the matter.
(d) Until recently, she had no desire to return to school, thinking it dull and predictable.
12. Who will help her pay for living expenses--books, food, gas, etc?
13. When does the first scene on Act 2 take place?
(a) It takes place five years after Act 1
(b) It takes place an instant after the end of Act 1
(c) It takes place five years before Act 1
(d) It takes place at the same time as Act 1
14. Who does Hal think has written the proof?
15. What is the lighting cue at the end of the scene?
(b) Lights to full.
(d) Lights to half.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hal have to give to Robert?
2. What does Robert ask Catherine to do?
3. Robert says he is satisfied with Claire, but he is _______ of/with/to Catherine?
4. Where is Robert sitting?
5. What does Catherine say to Hal that causes him to leave abruptly, and without the notebook?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)