|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why has Claire delayed her flight back home?
(a) She has delayed her flight because she is writing her own proof to rival the one in the notebook.
(b) She has delayed her flight because Catherine will not eat, talk, or get out of bed.
(c) She has delayed her flight because she no longer wants to return to New York.
(d) She has delayed her flight because she and Mitch had a fight.
2. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think Catherine has inherited?
(a) Less than Claire, but Claire is not sure how much less.
(b) More than Claire, but Claire is not sure how much more.
(c) One half.
(d) One quarter.
3. What does Catherine say to Hal that causes him to leave abruptly, and without the notebook?
(a) She says that he barely finished his Ph.D., does research that does not matter, and played in an awful band.
(b) She says that she does not approve of his relationship with Claire.
(c) She says that he killed Robert and she can prove it.
(d) She says that she loves him and always has, and wants to marry him as soon as possible.
4. Who does Hal think has written the proof?
5. What does Robert begin to write at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) He begins to write the journal entry that Hal tries to give to Catherine.
(b) He begins to write his last will and testament.
(c) He begins to write his edits for Hal's thesis.
(d) He begins to write the proof that Hal discovers.
6. Does Hal think he can help Catherine?
(a) Yes, he thinks he will take care of her when she moves in with him.
(b) No, he thinks only Robert can help Catherine now.
(c) Yes, he thinks she is tough and should have a say in whether she stays or goes.
(d) No, he thinks she is completely fragile and Clare should take care of her.
7. Robert says he feels like no time has passed since he was...
(a) A child.
8. What is the stage direction for Catherine reading the proof?
(a) Slowly, without inflection.
(b) Quickly and angrily.
(c) Vivaciously, with excitement.
(d) Quietly, in disbelief.
9. What does Catherine try to destroy at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She tries to destroy her relationship with Claire.
(b) She tries to destroy her relationship with Robert.
(c) She tries to destroy the notebook.
(d) She tries to detroy the house.
10. What is Catherine's explanation as to why she wrote the proof?
(a) She was depressed because she had to quit school and move home, and decided she could learn the math herself.
(b) She was jealous of Robert and vowed that she could come up with something better.
(c) She was so excited about math and life that the ideas could not be stopped.
(d) She does not claim to have written the proof.
11. Does Hal believe Catherine could have written the proof?
(a) No, Hal knows that Claire wrote the proof, and plans to help her publish it.
(b) No, the proof required very advanced mathematics, and Catherine only attended college for a few months.
(c) No, Hal did the proof himself, and planned to give Robert the credit.
(d) Yes, Hal believes instantly that Catherine wrote the proof.
12. Who does Hal encounter when he comes back to the house?
13. What does Claire do for a living?
(a) She is an actuary.
(b) She is a teacher.
(c) She is a financial advisor.
(d) She is a currency analyst.
14. What does Claire think about Hal's suggestion to check the proof?
(a) Claire thinks his suggestion is excellent--no one will be able to validate the authoship better than Robert.
(b) Claire thinks his suggestions is terrible--how could Catherine possibly recite the proof from memory?
(c) Claire thinks his suggestion is terrible--she does not have time to go to trial.
(d) Claire thinks his suggestion is excellent--who better to check the proof than mathematicians who knew Robert?
15. What does Hal accidentally remind Robert when he says they will meet in a week, on the eleventh?
(a) Today is Claire's birthday.
(b) Today is Catherine's birthday.
(c) Today is Robert's anniversary.
(d) Today is Hal's birthday.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Robert joke that Chicago beer comes from?
2. What does Robert ask Catherine to do?
3. What are the subjects of the proof?
4. Why does Claire resent mathematicians?
5. What is she paying for tuition?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)