|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the time period in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Four years earlier than the events in Act 1.
(b) Four years after the events in Act 1.
(c) Four minutes after the events in Act 1.
(d) The same time period as the events in Act 1.
2. What is the lighting cue at the end of the scene?
(b) Lights to half.
(d) Lights to full.
3. Who does Hal think has written the proof?
4. Why does Claire give the object to Hal?
(a) She is trying to win his love.
(b) She is hiding the object from Robert.
(c) She wants to sabotage Catherine.
(d) She thinks someone needs to find out what is in it.
5. Does Hal go with them to dinner?
(a) Yes, they have a lovely time.
(b) No, he can't, he has plans.
(c) No, he needs to take his thesis back and work on it.
(d) Yes, but he is uncomfortable and leaves before dinner arrives.
6. Why has Catherine come to the house?
(a) She missed home and wanted to visit.
(b) She just happened to be driving by.
(c) She and Robert had planned to have dinner.
(d) No one picked up the phone when she called, and she got worried.
7. What does Hal accidentally remind Robert when he says they will meet in a week, on the eleventh?
(a) Today is Robert's anniversary.
(b) Today is Catherine's birthday.
(c) Today is Claire's birthday.
(d) Today is Hal's birthday.
8. When does the first scene on Act 2 take place?
(a) It takes place five years after Act 1
(b) It takes place five years before Act 1
(c) It takes place at the same time as Act 1
(d) It takes place an instant after the end of Act 1
9. Who does Hal encounter when he comes back to the house?
10. Why does Robert yell at Catherine?
(a) He does not understand her mathematics, and gets upset.
(b) She insulted and upset him.
(c) He wants her to read the proof aloud, and she does not want to.
(d) He wants her to go on a walk with him, but she will not.
11. What does Claire think about Hal's suggestion to check the proof?
(a) Claire thinks his suggestion is excellent--who better to check the proof than mathematicians who knew Robert?
(b) Claire thinks his suggestion is excellent--no one will be able to validate the authoship better than Robert.
(c) Claire thinks his suggestions is terrible--how could Catherine possibly recite the proof from memory?
(d) Claire thinks his suggestion is terrible--she does not have time to go to trial.
12. What is the date in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) March 4th.
(b) June 4th.
(c) January 4th.
(d) September 4th.
13. Where will Catherine live while she is in school?
(a) At home.
(d) New York.
14. Where does Robert joke that Chicago beer comes from?
(b) A secret brewery.
(c) Lake Michigan.
(d) New York City.
15. Does Hal think he can help Catherine?
(a) No, he thinks only Robert can help Catherine now.
(b) Yes, he thinks she is tough and should have a say in whether she stays or goes.
(c) Yes, he thinks he will take care of her when she moves in with him.
(d) No, he thinks she is completely fragile and Clare should take care of her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Catherine reveal she is going to school?
2. What does Robert begin to write at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
3. Why does Claire resent mathematicians?
4. What does Robert ask Catherine to do?
5. Who or what interrupts Catherine and Robert's argument?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)