|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Catherine want Hal to take the notebook?
(a) She is in love with him, but angry that is is trying to steal Claire's proof.
(b) She is upset that he is trying to claim Robert's proof as his own.
(c) She is in love with him and does not want him to leave at all, ever again.
(d) She is upset that he does not believe her, and thinks he will try to steal her proof.
2. What is the stage direction for Catherine reading the proof?
(a) Vivaciously, with excitement.
(b) Quietly, in disbelief.
(c) Quickly and angrily.
(d) Slowly, without inflection.
3. What does Hal accidentally remind Robert when he says they will meet in a week, on the eleventh?
(a) Today is Hal's birthday.
(b) Today is Robert's anniversary.
(c) Today is Claire's birthday.
(d) Today is Catherine's birthday.
4. Why can't Robert concentrate in the house?
(a) The heat is not working and the house is too cold.
(b) The house is too bright and giving him a headache.
(c) The electricity is off and the house is too dark.
(d) The radiators are clanking and the house is too hot.
5. What else did Hal find in the drawer?
(a) Important legal documents.
(b) Catherine's diary.
(c) Nothing, just the notebook.
(d) Ten more notebooks full of ideas.
6. What does Catherine try to destroy at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She tries to detroy the house.
(b) She tries to destroy the notebook.
(c) She tries to destroy her relationship with Robert.
(d) She tries to destroy her relationship with Claire.
7. What is the time period in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Four minutes after the events in Act 1.
(b) The same time period as the events in Act 1.
(c) Four years earlier than the events in Act 1.
(d) Four years after the events in Act 1.
8. What does Catherine ask Robert to do, after he shows her his latest ideas in the notebook?
(a) She asks him to go back inside the house.
(b) She asks him to get the work published right away.
(c) She asks him to burn the notebook.
(d) She asks him leave and never come back.
9. In whose notebook is the proof written?
(a) In Claire's notebook.
(b) In Hal's notebook.
(c) In Robert's notebook.
(d) In Catherine's notebook.
10. What has Catherine missed to come back to the house?
(a) She has missed her favorite television program.
(b) She has missed a shift at work.
(c) She has missed a date.
(d) She has missed a class.
11. How far behind in school is Catherine, according to Robert?
(a) At least a month.
(b) At least a year.
(c) At least two months.
(d) At least two years.
12. What does Claire ask Hal to do before he leaves?
(a) She asks him to explain the proof to her.
(b) She asks him to come visit in Chicago.
(c) She asks him never to come back.
(d) She asks him to come visit in New York.
13. When Claire asks Catherine to recite the proof, how does Catherine reply?
(a) "I can't recite it, because I didn't write it."
(b) "Okay, fine. Here goes."
(c) "I didn't memorize it. It's not a muffin recipe!"
(d) "I'll recite it, but only to Hal."
14. What are the subjects of the proof?
(a) Warm months, cold months, and students in bookstores.
(b) The inverse relationships between love and hate.
(c) The speed of light.
(d) Atomic subatomic forces.
15. Robert says he is satisfied with Claire, but he is _______ of/with/to Catherine?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claire give the object to Hal?
2. What does Catherine say to Hal that causes him to leave abruptly, and without the notebook?
3. Why has Catherine come to the house?
4. Why does Catherine claim she wrote the proof in one of Robert's notebook?
5. Where does Robert joke that Chicago beer comes from?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)