|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hal have to give to Robert?
(a) A manila envelope containing a rough draft of his thesis.
(b) A get well soon card.
(c) A book he borrowed back before Robert's illness.
(d) An invitation to a party where his band is playing.
2. Who does Hal want to speak with upon his return to the house?
3. Why does Robert yell at Catherine?
(a) He wants her to read the proof aloud, and she does not want to.
(b) He does not understand her mathematics, and gets upset.
(c) He wants her to go on a walk with him, but she will not.
(d) She insulted and upset him.
4. What does Robert love about bookstores in September?
(a) The smell of coffee that wafts outside.
(b) He loves how precisely and quickly students find the books they are looking for.
(c) He loves how empty the bookstores are.
(d) He loves watching the students browsing throughout an afternoon.
5. What does Catherine try to destroy at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
(a) She tries to destroy her relationship with Robert.
(b) She tries to destroy her relationship with Claire.
(c) She tries to destroy the notebook.
(d) She tries to detroy the house.
6. Whose handwriting does Claire think the proof is written in?
(a) Catherine's handwriting.
(b) Her own handwriting.
(c) Robert's handwriting.
(d) Hal' handwriting.
7. Why has Claire delayed her flight back home?
(a) She has delayed her flight because Catherine will not eat, talk, or get out of bed.
(b) She has delayed her flight because she no longer wants to return to New York.
(c) She has delayed her flight because she is writing her own proof to rival the one in the notebook.
(d) She has delayed her flight because she and Mitch had a fight.
8. What does Robert ask Catherine to do?
(a) He asks her to work with him.
(b) He asks her to move back home.
(c) He asks her to stay out of his research.
(d) He asks her to leave him alone.
9. Robert says he feels like no time has passed since he was...
(a) A child.
10. Why was Catherine's drawer locked?
(a) The key to the drawer has long been lost.
(b) The drawer contains Robert's greatest works.
(c) The drawer is a place where she keeps private things.
(d) The drawer is full of important legal documents.
11. What does Claire think about Hal's suggestion to check the proof?
(a) Claire thinks his suggestion is terrible--she does not have time to go to trial.
(b) Claire thinks his suggestions is terrible--how could Catherine possibly recite the proof from memory?
(c) Claire thinks his suggestion is excellent--who better to check the proof than mathematicians who knew Robert?
(d) Claire thinks his suggestion is excellent--no one will be able to validate the authoship better than Robert.
12. Who does Hal encounter when he comes back to the house?
13. What is the lighting cue at the end of the scene?
(a) Lights to half.
(d) Lights to full.
14. What does Robert begin to write at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) He begins to write his edits for Hal's thesis.
(b) He begins to write the proof that Hal discovers.
(c) He begins to write his last will and testament.
(d) He begins to write the journal entry that Hal tries to give to Catherine.
15. What does Catherine ask Robert to do, after he shows her his latest ideas in the notebook?
(a) She asks him to go back inside the house.
(b) She asks him leave and never come back.
(c) She asks him to get the work published right away.
(d) She asks him to burn the notebook.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Robert secretly terrified of, in regards to his career?
2. What does Claire concede to Hal at the end of their conversation?
3. Does Hal think he took advantage of Catherine by sleeping with her?
4. Why has Catherine come to the house?
5. When does the first scene on Act 2 take place?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)