|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How far behind in school is Catherine, according to Robert?
(a) At least a month.
(b) At least two months.
(c) At least a year.
(d) At least two years.
2. What else did Hal find in the drawer?
(a) Nothing, just the notebook.
(b) Catherine's diary.
(c) Ten more notebooks full of ideas.
(d) Important legal documents.
3. When does the first scene on Act 2 take place?
(a) It takes place an instant after the end of Act 1
(b) It takes place five years before Act 1
(c) It takes place at the same time as Act 1
(d) It takes place five years after Act 1
4. Why does Claire give the object to Hal?
(a) She is hiding the object from Robert.
(b) She is trying to win his love.
(c) She thinks someone needs to find out what is in it.
(d) She wants to sabotage Catherine.
5. What does Claire concede to Hal at the end of their conversation?
(a) She agrees to let him call Catherine in Chicago.
(b) She agrees to let him visit Catherine in Chicago.
(c) She agrees to let him call Catherine in New York.
(d) She agress to let him visit Catherine in New York.
6. What is she paying for tuition?
(a) She is paying half, and the other half is paid by scholarships.
(b) Nothing; she is getting a free ride.
(c) She is paying three-quarters, and the rest is a combination of scholarships and loans.
(d) She is paying full tuition, and has worked out a payment plan.
7. Why does Claire resent mathematicians?
(a) She is a physicist, and the resent between the two professions runs deep.
(b) She is jealous of mathematicians' talent, and wishes she could be a mathematician herself.
(c) She feels that mathematicians do not think their actions through.
(d) She is a writer, and believes the arts are more important than sciences.
8. Why is Hal skeptical about Catherine's claim?
(a) He thinks Robert may have written the groundbreaking proof, then later explained it to Catherine.
(b) He has already written the proof, and wonders how she stole his idea.
(c) He thinks Catherine is just trying to impress him because they spend the night together.
(d) Robert told him all about the proof before his death.
9. What is the lighting cue at the end of the scene?
(a) Lights to full.
(d) Lights to half.
10. Does Hal believe Catherine could have written the proof?
(a) No, Hal knows that Claire wrote the proof, and plans to help her publish it.
(b) No, the proof required very advanced mathematics, and Catherine only attended college for a few months.
(c) Yes, Hal believes instantly that Catherine wrote the proof.
(d) No, Hal did the proof himself, and planned to give Robert the credit.
11. Does Hal think he can help Catherine?
(a) Yes, he thinks she is tough and should have a say in whether she stays or goes.
(b) No, he thinks she is completely fragile and Clare should take care of her.
(c) Yes, he thinks he will take care of her when she moves in with him.
(d) No, he thinks only Robert can help Catherine now.
12. Why doesn't Catherine want Hal to take the notebook?
(a) She is upset that he is trying to claim Robert's proof as his own.
(b) She is in love with him, but angry that is is trying to steal Claire's proof.
(c) She is in love with him and does not want him to leave at all, ever again.
(d) She is upset that he does not believe her, and thinks he will try to steal her proof.
13. What is Robert opposed to having for dinner?
14. At the end of the scene what doesn't Robert want Catherine to do?
(a) He does not want her to go on a walk.
(b) He does not want her to leave.
(c) He does not want her to go inside.
(d) He does not want her to stay.
15. What does Robert love about bookstores in September?
(a) He loves watching the students browsing throughout an afternoon.
(b) He loves how empty the bookstores are.
(c) He loves how precisely and quickly students find the books they are looking for.
(d) The smell of coffee that wafts outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Robert joke that Chicago beer comes from?
2. Where will Catherine live while she is in school?
3. Why has Claire delayed her flight back home?
4. Who or what interrupts Catherine and Robert's argument?
5. What is the time period in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)