|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hal huffy when Claire guesses why he has come to the house?
(a) He dislikes Catherine and does not want Claire to speak of her.
(b) He has come exclusively to see Catherine, and does not care about the notebook at all.
(c) He hates Claire and never wants her to speak to him again.
(d) He wants to see Catherine, but feels it is his professional duty to collect the notebook.
2. Does Hal think he can help Catherine?
(a) No, he thinks she is completely fragile and Clare should take care of her.
(b) No, he thinks only Robert can help Catherine now.
(c) Yes, he thinks he will take care of her when she moves in with him.
(d) Yes, he thinks she is tough and should have a say in whether she stays or goes.
3. How much of Robert's ability does Claire think she has inherited?
(a) One-one hundredth.
(c) One-one thousandth.
4. Robert says he is satisfied with Claire, but he is _______ of/with/to Catherine?
5. Robert says he feels like no time has passed since he was...
(d) A child.
6. What does Claire concede to Hal at the end of their conversation?
(a) She agress to let him visit Catherine in New York.
(b) She agrees to let him call Catherine in New York.
(c) She agrees to let him call Catherine in Chicago.
(d) She agrees to let him visit Catherine in Chicago.
7. Who will help her pay for living expenses--books, food, gas, etc?
8. What does Robert begin to write at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) He begins to write his last will and testament.
(b) He begins to write his edits for Hal's thesis.
(c) He begins to write the proof that Hal discovers.
(d) He begins to write the journal entry that Hal tries to give to Catherine.
9. What does Claire ask Hal to do before he leaves?
(a) She asks him to come visit in Chicago.
(b) She asks him to explain the proof to her.
(c) She asks him to come visit in New York.
(d) She asks him never to come back.
10. Does Hal go with them to dinner?
(a) No, he needs to take his thesis back and work on it.
(b) Yes, but he is uncomfortable and leaves before dinner arrives.
(c) Yes, they have a lovely time.
(d) No, he can't, he has plans.
11. What is she paying for tuition?
(a) She is paying three-quarters, and the rest is a combination of scholarships and loans.
(b) She is paying full tuition, and has worked out a payment plan.
(c) Nothing; she is getting a free ride.
(d) She is paying half, and the other half is paid by scholarships.
12. What does Claire think about Hal's relationship with Catherine?
(a) She thinks Catherine is fragile and Hal took complete advantage of her.
(b) She thinks Hal and Catherine would have a beautiful relationship if they could just give it a chance.
(c) She thinks Catherine made a huge mistake in marrying Hal.
(d) She thinks Hal should be in a relationship with her, not Catherine.
13. What does Catherine request for dinner?
(a) Steak, cheap beer, and potatoes.
(b) Chicken, fine wine, and celery.
(c) Soup, bread, and irish coffee.
(d) Salad, margaritas, and cake.
14. According to Robert, if the thesis "feels done," then...
(a) It should be put down for a month and then rechecked.
(b) There are major errors.
(c) It is done! Congratulations.
(d) It should be published right away.
15. At the end of the scene what doesn't Robert want Catherine to do?
(a) He does not want her to leave.
(b) He does not want her to stay.
(c) He does not want her to go inside.
(d) He does not want her to go on a walk.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Catherine's drawer locked?
2. Does Hal think he took advantage of Catherine by sleeping with her?
3. Where is Robert sitting?
4. When does Act 2, Scene 4 take place?
5. Why can't Robert concentrate in the house?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)