|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire think about Hal's suggestion to check the proof?
(a) Claire thinks his suggestion is terrible--she does not have time to go to trial.
(b) Claire thinks his suggestions is terrible--how could Catherine possibly recite the proof from memory?
(c) Claire thinks his suggestion is excellent--no one will be able to validate the authoship better than Robert.
(d) Claire thinks his suggestion is excellent--who better to check the proof than mathematicians who knew Robert?
2. What else did Hal find in the drawer?
(a) Nothing, just the notebook.
(b) Catherine's diary.
(c) Important legal documents.
(d) Ten more notebooks full of ideas.
3. What is the stage direction for Catherine reading the proof?
(a) Vivaciously, with excitement.
(b) Slowly, without inflection.
(c) Quickly and angrily.
(d) Quietly, in disbelief.
4. What does Claire ask Hal to do before he leaves?
(a) She asks him to come visit in New York.
(b) She asks him never to come back.
(c) She asks him to explain the proof to her.
(d) She asks him to come visit in Chicago.
5. Does Hal go with them to dinner?
(a) Yes, but he is uncomfortable and leaves before dinner arrives.
(b) No, he can't, he has plans.
(c) Yes, they have a lovely time.
(d) No, he needs to take his thesis back and work on it.
6. Why does Claire resent mathematicians?
(a) She feels that mathematicians do not think their actions through.
(b) She is a writer, and believes the arts are more important than sciences.
(c) She is a physicist, and the resent between the two professions runs deep.
(d) She is jealous of mathematicians' talent, and wishes she could be a mathematician herself.
7. What does Robert insist on, though it is freezing cold outside?
(a) He wants to pitch a tent outside and camp.
(b) He wants to go for a walk with Catherine.
(c) He wants to sit on the porch and stargaze.
(d) He wants to go over the proof with Catherine on the porch.
8. At the end of the scene what doesn't Robert want Catherine to do?
(a) He does not want her to stay.
(b) He does not want her to leave.
(c) He does not want her to go on a walk.
(d) He does not want her to go inside.
9. Why doesn't Claire believe Catherine about the proof?
(a) She wrote the proof herself.
(b) She thinks Catherine is emotionally unstable.
(c) She knows that Robert wrote the proof--he told her before his death.
(d) She knows that Catherine is terrible at mathematics.
10. Who does Hal want to speak with upon his return to the house?
11. Who or what interrupts Catherine and Robert's argument?
(d) A phone call.
12. What does Robert love about bookstores in September?
(a) The smell of coffee that wafts outside.
(b) He loves how empty the bookstores are.
(c) He loves watching the students browsing throughout an afternoon.
(d) He loves how precisely and quickly students find the books they are looking for.
13. What was Robert secretly terrified of, in regards to his career?
(a) He was afraid that Hal would rise up and steal his glory.
(b) He was afraid that Catherine would get credit for his ideas.
(c) He was afraid that he would never get a break from work.
(d) He was afraid that he would never work again.
14. What is the lighting cue at the end of the scene?
(b) Lights to half.
(d) Lights to full.
15. Does Hal think he took advantage of Catherine by sleeping with her?
(a) Yes, but he feels guiltless because Catherine led him on.
(b) Yes, he is wracked with guilt and wants to turn himself in.
(c) No, he insists they both wanted it.
(d) No, he feels guiltless because Catherine is a shamless hussy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can't Robert concentrate in the house?
2. What does Robert compare his creativity to?
3. Why doesn't Catherine want Hal to take the notebook?
4. What does Robert begin to write at the end of Act 2, Scene 1?
5. What does Claire concede to Hal at the end of their conversation?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)