|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire do for a living?
(a) She is an actuary.
(b) She is a financial advisor.
(c) She is a teacher.
(d) She is a currency analyst.
2. What is the date in Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) June 4th.
(b) September 4th.
(c) March 4th.
(d) January 4th.
3. Why does Claire give the object to Hal?
(a) She is trying to win his love.
(b) She thinks someone needs to find out what is in it.
(c) She wants to sabotage Catherine.
(d) She is hiding the object from Robert.
4. What object does Claire give to Hal before he leaves?
(a) A plane ticket.
(b) The notebook.
(c) A sheet of paper.
(d) A coffee cup.
5. At the end of the scene what doesn't Robert want Catherine to do?
(a) He does not want her to go on a walk.
(b) He does not want her to leave.
(c) He does not want her to go inside.
(d) He does not want her to stay.
6. What does Hal accidentally remind Robert when he says they will meet in a week, on the eleventh?
(a) Today is Robert's anniversary.
(b) Today is Hal's birthday.
(c) Today is Claire's birthday.
(d) Today is Catherine's birthday.
7. According to Robert, if the thesis "feels done," then...
(a) There are major errors.
(b) It should be published right away.
(c) It is done! Congratulations.
(d) It should be put down for a month and then rechecked.
8. When does Act 2, Scene 4 take place?
(a) Three and a half years earlier than Act 2, Scene 3.
(b) Immediately after Act 2, Scene 3.
(c) Immediately before Act 2, Scene 3.
(d) Three and a half years later than Act 2, Scene 3.
9. What does Catherine say to Hal that causes him to leave abruptly, and without the notebook?
(a) She says that he barely finished his Ph.D., does research that does not matter, and played in an awful band.
(b) She says that she loves him and always has, and wants to marry him as soon as possible.
(c) She says that she does not approve of his relationship with Claire.
(d) She says that he killed Robert and she can prove it.
10. Who or what interrupts Catherine and Robert's argument?
(c) A phone call.
11. Where is Robert sitting?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) On the porch.
(c) In his study.
(d) On the front lawn.
12. Why doesn't Claire believe Catherine about the proof?
(a) She knows that Robert wrote the proof--he told her before his death.
(b) She knows that Catherine is terrible at mathematics.
(c) She wrote the proof herself.
(d) She thinks Catherine is emotionally unstable.
13. What does Robert say is finally working again?
(a) The machinery, or, his mathematical genius.
(b) The radiators.
(c) His eyes, which have been bothering him.
(d) His television.
14. Why does Claire trust Hal with the object?
(a) She has no idea.
(b) She cannot trust Robert with the object and Hal is the next best choice.
(c) She is in love with him and would believe anything he says.
(d) She thinks he is an idiot, but not dishonest.
15. Why has Catherine come to the house?
(a) She and Robert had planned to have dinner.
(b) She missed home and wanted to visit.
(c) She just happened to be driving by.
(d) No one picked up the phone when she called, and she got worried.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert compare his creativity to?
2. Why can't Robert concentrate in the house?
3. Why has Claire delayed her flight back home?
4. What does Claire think about Hal's relationship with Catherine?
5. What does Catherine try to destroy at the end of Act 2, Scene 2?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)