|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the scene, what does Hal bring for Catherine to drink?
2. Who was Claire drinking with the night before?
(a) The theoretical physicists.
3. Is Catherine pleased that Hal kisses her?
(a) No, she has no interest in him whatsoever.
(b) Yes, she has been in love with him since they first met four years ago.
(c) Yes, she kisses him back at the end of the scene.
(d) No, she promptly throws her beer at him and runs.
4. Why does Claire want Catherine to come to New York?
(a) She never wants to come back to Chicago to visit.
(b) She is worried that Catherine is upset and exhausted, and living in Chicago is bad for her mental health.
(c) She wants to get a two bedroom apartment so they can live together again.
(d) She needs Catherine to help organize the upcoming wedding.
5. Who says they wrote the proof?
6. According to the letter Catherine has memorized, is Gauss pleased to discover the letters he has received are from a woman?
(a) Yes, he hopes he can take her out on a date sometime.
(b) No, he thinks his ideas are the only valid ones.
(c) Yes, he regards her as courageous and genius.
(d) No, he thinks a woman's place is in the household.
7. Where did Hal go to the mathematician conference?
(b) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
8. What does Claire think of Hal when Catherine first tries to explain the events of the previous night?
(a) She thinks Hal is a delinquent.
(b) She thinks Catherine may have imagined him.
(c) She thinks Hal sounds lovely, and hopes Catherine will want to have a double wedding.
(d) She thinks Catherine may be in a fight with him.
9. What is Imaginary Number, or i?
(a) Catherine's favorite cereal.
(b) A song of Hal's band's that consists of three minutes of silence.
(c) A theory of Hal's on which he is writing a paper.
(d) A theory of Robert's before his death.
10. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
(a) Game theory, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear operator theory.
(b) Weapons research, triangulation theory, and international politics.
(c) Contemporary american fiction, contemporary satire, and poetry.
(d) Biochemistry, zoology, and entomology.
11. How old is Catherine turning?
12. Why is Catherine upset with Claire at the end of Scene 2?
(a) She is angry that Claire has borrowed her clothes.
(b) She despises the coffee that Claire has made.
(c) She resents Claire swooping in and trying to take care of her.
(d) She is jealous that Claire is getting married.
13. Where did Claire want Catherine to stay, instead of coming back to the house to care for Robert?
(a) In the mental facility.
(b) In her marriage.
(c) In New York City.
(d) In school.
14. How do Catherine and Hal feel at the top of the scene?
(a) Neither of them remember what happened last night.
(b) Awkward toward each other.
(c) Very happy with each other and planning a wedding.
(d) They absolutely despise each other.
15. What is a graphomaniac?
(a) A person who cannot abide the sight of paper.
(b) A person who hates writing and avoids it at all costs.
(c) A person who compulsively writes, though the writing may make no sense.
(d) A person who makes lots and lots of graphs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who apologizes to whom about the events from the night before? (i.e., the fight, the 9-1-1 call, and the attempted theft)?
2. What time of day does Catherine's conversation with Robert occur?
3. What instrument does Hal play?
4. What does Robert get Catherine for her birthday?
5. What does Claire want Catherine to do?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)