|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Claire in town?
(a) She is in town for Catherine's birthday.
(b) She is in town for Robert's funeral.
(c) She is in town for Catherine's wedding.
(d) She is in town for her wedding.
2. How did Robert die?
(b) A car accident.
(c) Heart failure.
3. What is the lighting direction at the end of the scene?
(a) Lights to full.
(d) Lights to half.
4. What is the proof?
(a) A mathematical theorem about prime numbers.
(b) Evidence in a criminal case involving Robert.
(c) Evidence in a criminal case involving Catherine.
(d) A mathematical theorem about geometry.
5. Has Hal found anything coherent in the notebooks as of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) No, but he is not really reading the notebooks anyway--he just wants to go to band practice.
(b) No, the only lucid notebook is the one he tried to give to Catherine on her birthday.
(c) Yes, he has already made off with ten notebooks and is planning to write a book.
(d) Yes, he has found something profound in almost every notebook.
6. How many notebooks did Robert leave behind?
7. What does Claire fear about Catherine?
(a) She fears that Catherine will run away.
(b) She fears Catherine's brute strength, because they have fought many times before.
(c) She fears that Catherine is talented, but tends toward instability like Robert.
(d) She fears that Catherine will move to New York City.
8. Why is Hal at the house in Scene 1?
(a) He has been going through Robert's notebooks.
(b) He has been going on dates with Catherine.
(c) He has been working on a math problem.
(d) He has been fixing the heating system.
9. Who apologizes to whom about the events from the night before? (i.e., the fight, the 9-1-1 call, and the attempted theft)?
(a) Catherine apologizes to Hal--she should not have called the police.
(b) They apologize to each other--they both handled the situation poorly.
(c) No one apologizes--they are still in a fight.
(d) Hal apologizes to Catherine--he should not have tried to take the notebook.
10. What mathematical principle is associated with Sophie Germain?
(a) Germain Angles.
(b) Germain Primes.
(c) Germain Algebra.
(d) Germain Quarters.
11. What does Catherine insist on searching before Hal leaves?
(a) His briefcase.
(b) His computer files.
(c) His backpack.
(d) His wallet.
12. How many days has Catherine "lost"?
13. At the beginning of the scene, what does Hal bring for Catherine to drink?
14. What is Catherine wearing at the top of the scene?
(a) A robe.
(b) A dress.
(c) A swimsuit.
(d) A blouse and jeans.
15. What were the police told when they responded to Catherine's 9-1-1 call?
(a) There was a fire.
(b) There was a robbery.
(c) There was shoot out.
(d) There was a murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claire want Catherine to come to New York?
2. What was Hal's state of mind when he met Catherine four years ago?
3. Who is Sophie Germain?
4. What does Catherine give to Hal?
5. According to Hal, what happens when a mathematician turns fifty?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)