|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What beauty product does Claire insist that Catherine try?
(a) Her nail polish.
(b) Her conditioner.
(c) Her body wash.
(d) Her face wash.
2. What instrument does Hal play?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The piano.
(c) The drums.
(d) The bass.
3. Why is Hal able to put the notebooks in order?
(a) Because Catherine has helped him organize.
(b) Because he has carbon-dated the pages in a lab.
(c) Because Robert dated every entry.
(d) Because the notebooks are color-coded.
4. Who apologizes to whom about the events from the night before? (i.e., the fight, the 9-1-1 call, and the attempted theft)?
(a) They apologize to each other--they both handled the situation poorly.
(b) No one apologizes--they are still in a fight.
(c) Catherine apologizes to Hal--she should not have called the police.
(d) Hal apologizes to Catherine--he should not have tried to take the notebook.
5. What is happening in the house after the funeral?
(a) A press conference.
(b) A poetry reading.
(c) A party.
(d) An auction.
6. Why did Robert keep requesting that Catherine check out library books for him?
(a) He was building a large model out of library books in his office.
(b) He had a goal to read every single book in the library.
(c) He thought that aliens were sending him messages through the Dewey decimal system and was working out the code.
(d) He had a vendetta against the library and wanted to take as many books as possible.
7. Why does Hal say some of the older mathematicians use amphetamines?
(a) They think they need the drugs to stay sharp; math is a young man's game.
(b) They are insecure and trying to fit in with the other mathematicians.
(c) They are the easiest drugs to attain on the college campus.
(d) They are bored with being brilliant and have nothing better to do.
8. Who interrupts Catherine and Robert's conversation?
(c) A stray dog.
(d) A passerby.
9. According to the letter Catherine has memorized, is Gauss pleased to discover the letters he has received are from a woman?
(a) Yes, he regards her as courageous and genius.
(b) No, he thinks a woman's place is in the household.
(c) Yes, he hopes he can take her out on a date sometime.
(d) No, he thinks his ideas are the only valid ones.
10. What is the lighting direction at the end of the scene?
(b) Lights to half.
(c) Lights to full.
11. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
(a) Contemporary american fiction, contemporary satire, and poetry.
(b) Weapons research, triangulation theory, and international politics.
(c) Biochemistry, zoology, and entomology.
(d) Game theory, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear operator theory.
12. What is Claire doing with the house?
(a) She is selling it to the University.
(b) She and her fiance are moving into it.
(c) She is fixing it up for Catherine.
(d) She is burning it down.
13. What does Claire think Hal is to Catherine?
(a) She thinks he is her boyfriend.
(b) She thinks he is a police officer.
(c) She thinks he is her professor.
(d) She thinks he is her best friend.
14. Where does Claire live?
(a) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
15. Why does Hal attempt to steal the notebook?
(a) He wants to wrap it, and give it to Catherine as a birthday present.
(b) He wants to keep the notebook for sentimental reasons.
(c) He plans to sell the notebook and make a profit.
(d) He wants to publish the ideas in the notebook as his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scene 1 take place?
2. What does Claire think of Hal when Catherine first tries to explain the events of the previous night?
3. What is Hal carrying when he enters?
4. Why is the proof so important?
5. What is a graphomaniac?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)