|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Claire want Catherine to come to New York?
(a) She never wants to come back to Chicago to visit.
(b) She needs Catherine to help organize the upcoming wedding.
(c) She is worried that Catherine is upset and exhausted, and living in Chicago is bad for her mental health.
(d) She wants to get a two bedroom apartment so they can live together again.
2. According to Hal, what happens when a mathematician turns fifty?
(a) They may experience concentration problems.
(b) They are at their creative peak.
(c) Their ideas are published in prestigious math magazines.
(d) Their career is over; they may as well teach high school.
3. How do Catherine and Hal feel at the top of the scene?
(a) Neither of them remember what happened last night.
(b) Very happy with each other and planning a wedding.
(c) They absolutely despise each other.
(d) Awkward toward each other.
4. What is Hal's full name?
(a) Harold Jones.
(b) Halfred Dobbs.
(c) Halfred Jones.
(d) Harold Dobbs.
5. When does Hal arrive in the scene?
(a) He never actually enters in the scene.
(b) He arrives in the end.
(c) He arrives in the beginning.
(d) He arrives in the middle.
6. What is Imaginary Number, or i?
(a) A theory of Hal's on which he is writing a paper.
(b) A theory of Robert's before his death.
(c) A song of Hal's band's that consists of three minutes of silence.
(d) Catherine's favorite cereal.
7. Who paid the mortgage on the house during Robert's illness?
8. What does Claire want to do after the funeral?
(a) She wants to have people over to the house.
(b) She wants to have a quiet evening at home, just she and Catherine.
(c) She wants to go straight to Boston.
(d) She wants to go straight to New York.
9. Who is Sophie Germain?
(a) A woman who published great mathematical works under a pseudonym during the French Revolution.
(b) A woman whose husband stole her ideas and published her work under his name.
(c) A woman Catherine previously thought was her mother.
(d) A woman who teaches at the University of Chicago and was very close to Robert.
10. What does Hal discover in the notebook?
(a) A theory of physics.
(b) A short story.
(c) A proof.
(d) A painting.
11. According to the letter Catherine has memorized, is Gauss pleased to discover the letters he has received are from a woman?
(a) No, he thinks his ideas are the only valid ones.
(b) Yes, he hopes he can take her out on a date sometime.
(c) Yes, he regards her as courageous and genius.
(d) No, he thinks a woman's place is in the household.
12. Why is Claire concerned after speaking with the policemen?
(a) The policemen have a new break in the case over Robert's death.
(b) They claimed Catherine was rude and abusive when they responded to her 911 call the evening before.
(c) They forced their way into Catherine's house, breaking things and trying to intimidate Catherine.
(d) The policemen have Catherine in custody, and she must pay the bail.
13. Why does Hal attempt to steal the notebook?
(a) He wants to publish the ideas in the notebook as his own.
(b) He wants to keep the notebook for sentimental reasons.
(c) He wants to wrap it, and give it to Catherine as a birthday present.
(d) He plans to sell the notebook and make a profit.
14. Where does Scene 1 take place?
(a) The back porch of a house in New York
(b) The basement of a house in New York
(c) The back porch of a house in Chicago
(d) The basement of a house in Chicago
15. How old was Robert when his illness began?
(a) Sixteen or seventeen.
(b) Thirty or thirty-one.
(c) Fifty-five or fifty-six.
(d) Twenty-three or twenty-four.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire make Catherine for breakfast?
2. How many people are left at the party?
3. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
4. How does Catherine take her coffee?
5. Why is Claire selling the house?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)