|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hal's excuse for kissing Catherine?
(a) He has been in love with her for four years.
(b) He thinks she owes him since he plays in the band.
(c) He thought she was Claire.
(d) He's a little drunk.
2. How old was Robert when his illness began?
(a) Fifty-five or fifty-six.
(b) Sixteen or seventeen.
(c) Thirty or thirty-one.
(d) Twenty-three or twenty-four.
3. How many people are left at the party?
(a) No one--they all left right after the funeral.
(b) 20 people, all Catherine's friends.
(c) 10 people, all Claire's friends.
(d) 40 people, all mathematicians.
4. What is Hal's full name?
(a) Halfred Jones.
(b) Halfred Dobbs.
(c) Harold Jones.
(d) Harold Dobbs.
5. Who interrupts Catherine and Robert's conversation?
(a) A passerby.
(b) A stray dog.
6. Where did Hal go to the mathematician conference?
(a) Los Angeles.
(b) New York.
7. Why did Hal not attempt to pursue Catherine after their initial meeting?
(a) He did not feel it was appropriate to flirt with his doctoral advisor's daughter.
(b) He did not initially like Catherine at all, and avoided her at all costs.
(c) He was in love with Claire.
(d) He disliked Robert, and assumed he would dislike Catherine as well.
8. Why is the proof so important?
(a) If it is correct, it may solve world hunger mathematically.
(b) If it is correct, it proves a centuries-old theory that many thought could not be proven.
(c) If it is correct, they will each get a million dollar prize.
(d) If it is correct, Hal will be famous for discovering the notebook.
9. Who says they wrote the proof?
10. Why is Hal at the house in Scene 1?
(a) He has been fixing the heating system.
(b) He has been going on dates with Catherine.
(c) He has been going through Robert's notebooks.
(d) He has been working on a math problem.
11. How did Hal and Catherine meet four years ago?
(a) At a party on campus.
(b) He was dropping off his thesis for Robert's perusal.
(c) Catherine was in one of his classes.
(d) At a supermarket in the frozen foods aisle.
12. What does Catherine insist on searching before Hal leaves?
(a) His wallet.
(b) His computer files.
(c) His backpack.
(d) His briefcase.
13. What does Robert get Catherine for her birthday?
(c) A puppy.
14. How many days has Catherine "lost"?
15. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
(a) Game theory, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear operator theory.
(b) Biochemistry, zoology, and entomology.
(c) Weapons research, triangulation theory, and international politics.
(d) Contemporary american fiction, contemporary satire, and poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
2. Where does Catherine tell Claire to look for proof that Hal is real?
3. Who thinks Robert should have been put in professional care?
4. Why is Claire selling the house?
5. When does Hal arrive in the scene?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)