|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hal at the house in Scene 1?
(a) He has been fixing the heating system.
(b) He has been going on dates with Catherine.
(c) He has been working on a math problem.
(d) He has been going through Robert's notebooks.
2. According to Hal, what happens when a mathematician turns fifty?
(a) Their career is over; they may as well teach high school.
(b) Their ideas are published in prestigious math magazines.
(c) They are at their creative peak.
(d) They may experience concentration problems.
3. What does Robert get Catherine for her birthday?
(b) A puppy.
4. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
(a) She was one of Catherine's teachers.
(b) Robert gave her a book about the woman.
(c) She learned about her in a college course.
(d) They know each other personally and have been friends for years.
5. What is Claire's relationship to Catherine?
(a) She is Catherine's mother.
(b) She is the housekeeper.
(c) She is Catherine's sister.
(d) She is Catherine's best friend.
6. Why is Hal able to put the notebooks in order?
(a) Because Catherine has helped him organize.
(b) Because the notebooks are color-coded.
(c) Because he has carbon-dated the pages in a lab.
(d) Because Robert dated every entry.
7. What does Claire think Hal is to Catherine?
(a) She thinks he is her boyfriend.
(b) She thinks he is a police officer.
(c) She thinks he is her professor.
(d) She thinks he is her best friend.
8. What is Hal's excuse for kissing Catherine?
(a) He thought she was Claire.
(b) He's a little drunk.
(c) He has been in love with her for four years.
(d) He thinks she owes him since he plays in the band.
9. What is the lighting direction at the end of the scene?
(b) Lights to half.
(d) Lights to full.
10. Who interrupts Catherine and Robert's conversation?
(a) A stray dog.
(b) A passerby.
11. Whose idea was it to have the band play at the house after the funeral?
(a) Catherine's idea.
(b) Claire's idea.
(c) Hal's idea.
(d) Robert's idea.
12. Where does Catherine tell Claire to look for proof that Hal is real?
(a) In the upstaris bedroom.
(b) In the sky.
(c) In the closet.
(d) In the paper.
13. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
(a) Contemporary american fiction, contemporary satire, and poetry.
(b) Weapons research, triangulation theory, and international politics.
(c) Biochemistry, zoology, and entomology.
(d) Game theory, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear operator theory.
14. When does Hal arrive in the scene?
(a) He never actually enters in the scene.
(b) He arrives in the beginning.
(c) He arrives in the end.
(d) He arrives in the middle.
15. What is Hal's full name?
(a) Harold Jones.
(b) Halfred Dobbs.
(c) Harold Dobbs.
(d) Halfred Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Catherine and Hal feel at the top of the scene?
2. Where did Hal go to the mathematician conference?
3. What is Hal carrying when he enters?
4. How many days has Catherine "lost"?
5. Is Catherine pleased that Hal kisses her?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)