|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who apologizes to whom about the events from the night before? (i.e., the fight, the 9-1-1 call, and the attempted theft)?
(a) They apologize to each other--they both handled the situation poorly.
(b) Hal apologizes to Catherine--he should not have tried to take the notebook.
(c) No one apologizes--they are still in a fight.
(d) Catherine apologizes to Hal--she should not have called the police.
2. Why is Hal unhappy with his own work?
(a) His work is brilliant, but no one will recognize it.
(b) He thinks his ideas are trivial, and his most creative days are behind him.
(c) He has stolen all his ideas from a colleague, and feels guilty.
(d) He only wants to play drums in his band; the math stuff is just a day job.
3. Why is the proof so important?
(a) If it is correct, they will each get a million dollar prize.
(b) If it is correct, Hal will be famous for discovering the notebook.
(c) If it is correct, it may solve world hunger mathematically.
(d) If it is correct, it proves a centuries-old theory that many thought could not be proven.
4. What has become Claire's fiance's new hobby?
(a) Model airplane making.
(b) Miniature ship building.
5. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
(a) Robert gave her a book about the woman.
(b) She was one of Catherine's teachers.
(c) She learned about her in a college course.
(d) They know each other personally and have been friends for years.
6. Who was Claire drinking with the night before?
(b) The theoretical physicists.
7. What is happening in the house after the funeral?
(a) An auction.
(b) A press conference.
(c) A poetry reading.
(d) A party.
8. Why is Hal able to put the notebooks in order?
(a) Because Robert dated every entry.
(b) Because he has carbon-dated the pages in a lab.
(c) Because Catherine has helped him organize.
(d) Because the notebooks are color-coded.
9. How old was Robert when his illness began?
(a) Thirty or thirty-one.
(b) Twenty-three or twenty-four.
(c) Fifty-five or fifty-six.
(d) Sixteen or seventeen.
10. Has Hal found anything coherent in the notebooks as of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Yes, he has already made off with ten notebooks and is planning to write a book.
(b) Yes, he has found something profound in almost every notebook.
(c) No, the only lucid notebook is the one he tried to give to Catherine on her birthday.
(d) No, but he is not really reading the notebooks anyway--he just wants to go to band practice.
11. What was Hal's state of mind when he met Catherine four years ago?
(a) Happy; he'd specifically set up the meeting to talk to her.
(b) Angry; he's hoped to meet Robert alone.
(c) Confused; he did not have any idea who she was.
(d) Nervous; he was dropping off his thesis for her father to check.
12. Why did Robert keep requesting that Catherine check out library books for him?
(a) He was building a large model out of library books in his office.
(b) He thought that aliens were sending him messages through the Dewey decimal system and was working out the code.
(c) He had a goal to read every single book in the library.
(d) He had a vendetta against the library and wanted to take as many books as possible.
13. How many people are left at the party?
(a) 10 people, all Claire's friends.
(b) 40 people, all mathematicians.
(c) No one--they all left right after the funeral.
(d) 20 people, all Catherine's friends.
14. Why is Hal at the house in Scene 1?
(a) He has been going on dates with Catherine.
(b) He has been working on a math problem.
(c) He has been fixing the heating system.
(d) He has been going through Robert's notebooks.
15. Why is Claire confused about Catherine's relationship to Hal?
(a) Because Hal and Catherine were engaged to be married.
(b) Because she does not know if they were partying together, if he was an intruder, or if he only exists in Catherine's mind.
(c) Because Hal and Robert are friends, but not Hal and Catherine.
(d) Because prior to this incident, she knows Catherine and Hal were the best of friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hal not attempt to pursue Catherine after their initial meeting?
2. What is Claire doing with the house?
3. What name does Claire call Catherine by?
4. What does Hal discover in the notebook?
5. Who thinks Robert should have been put in professional care?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)