|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claire fear about Catherine?
(a) She fears that Catherine is talented, but tends toward instability like Robert.
(b) She fears Catherine's brute strength, because they have fought many times before.
(c) She fears that Catherine will move to New York City.
(d) She fears that Catherine will run away.
2. Why did Claire stay up so late?
(a) She could not sleep.
(b) She got caught with the physicists, and all her friends went home.
(c) She was working on a very important paper.
(d) She was arguing with Catherine.
3. What mathematical principle is associated with Sophie Germain?
(a) Germain Quarters.
(b) Germain Algebra.
(c) Germain Primes.
(d) Germain Angles.
4. What does Hal do after Catherine quotes Gauss' letter to Sophie Germain?
(a) He laughs at her.
(b) He throws down his beer in anger.
(c) He kisses her.
(d) He exits.
5. What does Claire want Catherine to do?
(a) Go back to school in Chicago.
(b) Stay in the house where she and Robert lived.
(c) Move to New York, where Claire can keep an eye on her.
(d) Go back to bed and rest.
6. How did Hal and Catherine meet four years ago?
(a) At a supermarket in the frozen foods aisle.
(b) Catherine was in one of his classes.
(c) At a party on campus.
(d) He was dropping off his thesis for Robert's perusal.
7. According to Hal, what happens when a mathematician turns fifty?
(a) They may experience concentration problems.
(b) Their career is over; they may as well teach high school.
(c) They are at their creative peak.
(d) Their ideas are published in prestigious math magazines.
8. How did Robert die?
(a) A car accident.
(b) Heart failure.
9. In her conversation with Robert, why is Catherine worried?
(a) She has lost her drivers' license.
(b) She thinks her mortgage payment may be overdue.
(c) She thinks she heard an intruder.
(d) She thinks she may inherit the same illness as her father.
10. How old was Robert when his illness began?
(a) Fifty-five or fifty-six.
(b) Thirty or thirty-one.
(c) Sixteen or seventeen.
(d) Twenty-three or twenty-four.
11. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
(a) Contemporary american fiction, contemporary satire, and poetry.
(b) Biochemistry, zoology, and entomology.
(c) Weapons research, triangulation theory, and international politics.
(d) Game theory, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear operator theory.
12. What time of day does Catherine's conversation with Robert occur?
(a) Between 9:00PM and 10:00PM.
(b) Between 12:00AM and 1:00AM.
(c) Between 2:00PM and 3:00PM.
(d) Between 7:00AM and 8:00AM.
13. How does Catherine treat the police officers?
(a) She is extremely polite.
(b) She is rude and borderline abusive.
(c) She is outgoing and inviting.
(d) She is very timid and quiet.
14. What was Robert's occupation?
(a) A physicist at New York University.
(b) A mathematician and teacher at the University of Chicago.
(c) A salesman in Boston.
(d) A plumber and handyman in Chicago.
15. Why does Hal attempt to steal the notebook?
(a) He wants to keep the notebook for sentimental reasons.
(b) He wants to wrap it, and give it to Catherine as a birthday present.
(c) He plans to sell the notebook and make a profit.
(d) He wants to publish the ideas in the notebook as his own.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire think of Hal when Catherine first tries to explain the events of the previous night?
2. When does Hal arrive in the scene?
3. Where does Hal find the notebook?
4. Where did Hal go to the mathematician conference?
5. Where did Claire want Catherine to stay, instead of coming back to the house to care for Robert?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)