|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Hal go to the mathematician conference?
(b) New York.
(c) Los Angeles.
2. Where did Catherine get the dress she wore to the funeral?
(a) Hal gave it to her.
(b) Robert gave it to her.
(c) Claire gave it to her.
(d) She already had it.
3. Where does Scene 1 take place?
(a) The basement of a house in New York
(b) The basement of a house in Chicago
(c) The back porch of a house in New York
(d) The back porch of a house in Chicago
4. When does Hal arrive in the scene?
(a) He never actually enters in the scene.
(b) He arrives in the middle.
(c) He arrives in the end.
(d) He arrives in the beginning.
5. How many days has Catherine "lost"?
6. What is the proof?
(a) Evidence in a criminal case involving Catherine.
(b) A mathematical theorem about prime numbers.
(c) A mathematical theorem about geometry.
(d) Evidence in a criminal case involving Robert.
7. How many people are left at the party?
(a) 40 people, all mathematicians.
(b) 10 people, all Claire's friends.
(c) No one--they all left right after the funeral.
(d) 20 people, all Catherine's friends.
8. Why does Hal say some of the older mathematicians use amphetamines?
(a) They are bored with being brilliant and have nothing better to do.
(b) They are the easiest drugs to attain on the college campus.
(c) They think they need the drugs to stay sharp; math is a young man's game.
(d) They are insecure and trying to fit in with the other mathematicians.
9. Why is Catherine upset with Claire at the end of Scene 2?
(a) She despises the coffee that Claire has made.
(b) She is jealous that Claire is getting married.
(c) She is angry that Claire has borrowed her clothes.
(d) She resents Claire swooping in and trying to take care of her.
10. Why does Claire want Catherine to come to New York?
(a) She needs Catherine to help organize the upcoming wedding.
(b) She wants to get a two bedroom apartment so they can live together again.
(c) She is worried that Catherine is upset and exhausted, and living in Chicago is bad for her mental health.
(d) She never wants to come back to Chicago to visit.
11. Who apologizes to whom about the events from the night before? (i.e., the fight, the 9-1-1 call, and the attempted theft)?
(a) No one apologizes--they are still in a fight.
(b) Catherine apologizes to Hal--she should not have called the police.
(c) They apologize to each other--they both handled the situation poorly.
(d) Hal apologizes to Catherine--he should not have tried to take the notebook.
12. What was Robert's occupation?
(a) A physicist at New York University.
(b) A plumber and handyman in Chicago.
(c) A salesman in Boston.
(d) A mathematician and teacher at the University of Chicago.
13. What is the lighting direction at the end of the scene?
(b) Lights to full.
(c) Lights to half.
14. Why does Hal attempt to steal the notebook?
(a) He plans to sell the notebook and make a profit.
(b) He wants to keep the notebook for sentimental reasons.
(c) He wants to wrap it, and give it to Catherine as a birthday present.
(d) He wants to publish the ideas in the notebook as his own.
15. What mathematical principle is associated with Sophie Germain?
(a) Germain Angles.
(b) Germain Algebra.
(c) Germain Quarters.
(d) Germain Primes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Imaginary Number, or i?
2. What does Claire fear about Catherine?
3. What is Claire doing with the house?
4. What is happening in the house after the funeral?
5. What does Hal discover in the notebook?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)