|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the proof so important?
(a) If it is correct, they will each get a million dollar prize.
(b) If it is correct, it proves a centuries-old theory that many thought could not be proven.
(c) If it is correct, Hal will be famous for discovering the notebook.
(d) If it is correct, it may solve world hunger mathematically.
2. When does Hal arrive in the scene?
(a) He never actually enters in the scene.
(b) He arrives in the middle.
(c) He arrives in the end.
(d) He arrives in the beginning.
3. What did Catherine think of Hal the first time they met?
(a) She thought he talked too much.
(b) She thought he was not boring.
(c) She thought she loved him.
(d) She thought he was terribly boring.
4. What does Hal discover in the notebook?
(a) A theory of physics.
(b) A painting.
(c) A short story.
(d) A proof.
5. Why is Claire confused about Catherine's relationship to Hal?
(a) Because Hal and Robert are friends, but not Hal and Catherine.
(b) Because Hal and Catherine were engaged to be married.
(c) Because she does not know if they were partying together, if he was an intruder, or if he only exists in Catherine's mind.
(d) Because prior to this incident, she knows Catherine and Hal were the best of friends.
6. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
(a) Robert gave her a book about the woman.
(b) She was one of Catherine's teachers.
(c) They know each other personally and have been friends for years.
(d) She learned about her in a college course.
7. How many notebooks did Robert leave behind?
8. What does Hal do after Catherine quotes Gauss' letter to Sophie Germain?
(a) He exits.
(b) He laughs at her.
(c) He throws down his beer in anger.
(d) He kisses her.
9. Who was Claire drinking with the night before?
(a) The theoretical physicists.
10. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
(a) Contemporary american fiction, contemporary satire, and poetry.
(b) Game theory, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear operator theory.
(c) Biochemistry, zoology, and entomology.
(d) Weapons research, triangulation theory, and international politics.
11. How does Catherine take her coffee?
(a) With only sugar.
(b) With only cream.
(c) With sugar and cream.
12. What instrument does Hal play?
(a) The bass.
(b) The drums.
(c) The guitar.
(d) The piano.
13. When is Claire's wedding, and where?
(a) June, in Chicago.
(b) August, in Boston.
(c) November, in Miami.
(d) January, in New York City.
14. How old was Robert when his illness began?
(a) Thirty or thirty-one.
(b) Sixteen or seventeen.
(c) Fifty-five or fifty-six.
(d) Twenty-three or twenty-four.
15. Is Catherine pleased that Hal kisses her?
(a) Yes, she has been in love with him since they first met four years ago.
(b) Yes, she kisses him back at the end of the scene.
(c) No, she has no interest in him whatsoever.
(d) No, she promptly throws her beer at him and runs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the proof?
2. What was Hal's state of mind when he met Catherine four years ago?
3. What organic chemical(s) is contained in the beauty product Claire wishes Catherine to try?
4. What does Robert get Catherine for her birthday?
5. How do Catherine and Hal feel at the top of the scene?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)