|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Hal, what happens when a mathematician turns fifty?
(a) Their career is over; they may as well teach high school.
(b) Their ideas are published in prestigious math magazines.
(c) They may experience concentration problems.
(d) They are at their creative peak.
2. Why is Claire selling the house?
(a) She cannot think of anything else to do with it.
(b) She hates the house and always has.
(c) She has no regard for anything but money.
(d) She wants to help Catherine, and feels this is the only way.
3. Why is Claire confused about Catherine's relationship to Hal?
(a) Because Hal and Robert are friends, but not Hal and Catherine.
(b) Because prior to this incident, she knows Catherine and Hal were the best of friends.
(c) Because she does not know if they were partying together, if he was an intruder, or if he only exists in Catherine's mind.
(d) Because Hal and Catherine were engaged to be married.
4. What is Hal carrying when he enters?
(a) A briefcase and a parka.
(b) A backpack and a folded jacket.
(c) A laptop computer.
(d) A bouquet of flowers and a card.
5. At the beginning of the scene, what does Hal bring for Catherine to drink?
6. How old was Robert when his illness began?
(a) Thirty or thirty-one.
(b) Fifty-five or fifty-six.
(c) Sixteen or seventeen.
(d) Twenty-three or twenty-four.
7. What time of day does Catherine's conversation with Robert occur?
(a) Between 9:00PM and 10:00PM.
(b) Between 7:00AM and 8:00AM.
(c) Between 2:00PM and 3:00PM.
(d) Between 12:00AM and 1:00AM.
8. What does Robert get Catherine for her birthday?
(c) A puppy.
9. Why is Hal hesitant after Catherine asks him about sex at the Conference?
(a) He is not sure that she is flirting with him, and does not want to make a bad impression.
(b) He is not sure if she likes him, and plans to give her a lie detector test to find out.
(c) He dislikes her and is thinking of a way to leave.
(d) He dislikes her and does not want to talk about sex.
10. Why does Hal attempt to steal the notebook?
(a) He wants to publish the ideas in the notebook as his own.
(b) He wants to wrap it, and give it to Catherine as a birthday present.
(c) He wants to keep the notebook for sentimental reasons.
(d) He plans to sell the notebook and make a profit.
11. When is Claire's wedding, and where?
(a) January, in New York City.
(b) June, in Chicago.
(c) November, in Miami.
(d) August, in Boston.
12. What is Claire's finance's name?
13. What name does Claire call Catherine by?
14. How did Robert die?
(a) A car accident.
(b) Heart failure.
15. What does Claire want Catherine to do?
(a) Move to New York, where Claire can keep an eye on her.
(b) Go back to bed and rest.
(c) Go back to school in Chicago.
(d) Stay in the house where she and Robert lived.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Claire related to Catherine?
2. What is Claire doing with the house?
3. Who apologizes to whom about the events from the night before? (i.e., the fight, the 9-1-1 call, and the attempted theft)?
4. Where does Claire live?
5. Where did Hal go to the mathematician conference?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)