|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Robert's occupation?
(a) A salesman in Boston.
(b) A mathematician and teacher at the University of Chicago.
(c) A physicist at New York University.
(d) A plumber and handyman in Chicago.
2. Where did Claire want Catherine to stay, instead of coming back to the house to care for Robert?
(a) In the mental facility.
(b) In school.
(c) In New York City.
(d) In her marriage.
3. According to the letter Catherine has memorized, is Gauss pleased to discover the letters he has received are from a woman?
(a) No, he thinks a woman's place is in the household.
(b) Yes, he hopes he can take her out on a date sometime.
(c) No, he thinks his ideas are the only valid ones.
(d) Yes, he regards her as courageous and genius.
4. Why did Robert keep requesting that Catherine check out library books for him?
(a) He was building a large model out of library books in his office.
(b) He had a goal to read every single book in the library.
(c) He thought that aliens were sending him messages through the Dewey decimal system and was working out the code.
(d) He had a vendetta against the library and wanted to take as many books as possible.
5. How many notebooks did Robert leave behind?
6. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
(a) Game theory, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear operator theory.
(b) Weapons research, triangulation theory, and international politics.
(c) Contemporary american fiction, contemporary satire, and poetry.
(d) Biochemistry, zoology, and entomology.
7. What is a graphomaniac?
(a) A person who compulsively writes, though the writing may make no sense.
(b) A person who hates writing and avoids it at all costs.
(c) A person who cannot abide the sight of paper.
(d) A person who makes lots and lots of graphs.
8. How old is Catherine turning?
9. What name does Claire call Catherine by?
10. How did Hal and Catherine meet four years ago?
(a) Catherine was in one of his classes.
(b) At a party on campus.
(c) At a supermarket in the frozen foods aisle.
(d) He was dropping off his thesis for Robert's perusal.
11. What time of day does Catherine's conversation with Robert occur?
(a) Between 7:00AM and 8:00AM.
(b) Between 2:00PM and 3:00PM.
(c) Between 9:00PM and 10:00PM.
(d) Between 12:00AM and 1:00AM.
12. What does Claire want to do after the funeral?
(a) She wants to go straight to Boston.
(b) She wants to have people over to the house.
(c) She wants to have a quiet evening at home, just she and Catherine.
(d) She wants to go straight to New York.
13. When is Claire's wedding, and where?
(a) January, in New York City.
(b) June, in Chicago.
(c) November, in Miami.
(d) August, in Boston.
14. What does Catherine insist on searching before Hal leaves?
(a) His backpack.
(b) His computer files.
(c) His briefcase.
(d) His wallet.
15. Who paid the mortgage on the house during Robert's illness?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Catherine think of Hal the first time they met?
2. What is Hal carrying when he enters?
3. What is Claire's finance's name?
4. Why is Claire concerned after speaking with the policemen?
5. What is Catherine wearing at the top of the scene?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)