|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Claire related to Catherine?
(a) She is Catherine's aunt.
(b) She is Catherine's mother.
(c) She is Catherine's cousin.
(d) She is Catherine's sister.
2. How many notebooks did Robert leave behind?
3. Why is Claire in town?
(a) She is in town for Catherine's birthday.
(b) She is in town for her wedding.
(c) She is in town for Robert's funeral.
(d) She is in town for Catherine's wedding.
4. Where did Catherine get the dress she wore to the funeral?
(a) Hal gave it to her.
(b) Robert gave it to her.
(c) She already had it.
(d) Claire gave it to her.
5. What is Hal carrying when he enters?
(a) A bouquet of flowers and a card.
(b) A laptop computer.
(c) A backpack and a folded jacket.
(d) A briefcase and a parka.
6. Where did Claire want Catherine to stay, instead of coming back to the house to care for Robert?
(a) In New York City.
(b) In her marriage.
(c) In school.
(d) In the mental facility.
7. What is Claire's finance's name?
8. What does Claire make Catherine for breakfast?
(a) Bacon and eggs.
(c) Nothing; as far as she is concerned, Catherine can make her own breakfast.
(d) Bagels, fruit, and coffee.
9. According to the letter Catherine has memorized, is Gauss pleased to discover the letters he has received are from a woman?
(a) No, he thinks his ideas are the only valid ones.
(b) No, he thinks a woman's place is in the household.
(c) Yes, he regards her as courageous and genius.
(d) Yes, he hopes he can take her out on a date sometime.
10. How many people are left at the party?
(a) 20 people, all Catherine's friends.
(b) No one--they all left right after the funeral.
(c) 10 people, all Claire's friends.
(d) 40 people, all mathematicians.
11. What is Hal's excuse for kissing Catherine?
(a) He thinks she owes him since he plays in the band.
(b) He thought she was Claire.
(c) He's a little drunk.
(d) He has been in love with her for four years.
12. Why is Catherine upset with Claire at the end of Scene 2?
(a) She resents Claire swooping in and trying to take care of her.
(b) She is angry that Claire has borrowed her clothes.
(c) She is jealous that Claire is getting married.
(d) She despises the coffee that Claire has made.
13. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
(a) She was one of Catherine's teachers.
(b) She learned about her in a college course.
(c) Robert gave her a book about the woman.
(d) They know each other personally and have been friends for years.
14. How many days has Catherine "lost"?
15. What does Catherine insist on searching before Hal leaves?
(a) His computer files.
(b) His backpack.
(c) His briefcase.
(d) His wallet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is happening in the house after the funeral?
2. What does Claire think Hal is to Catherine?
3. What time of day does Catherine's conversation with Robert occur?
4. What is Hal's full name?
5. Why is Hal able to put the notebooks in order?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)