|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Robert keep requesting that Catherine check out library books for him?
(a) He was building a large model out of library books in his office.
(b) He thought that aliens were sending him messages through the Dewey decimal system and was working out the code.
(c) He had a goal to read every single book in the library.
(d) He had a vendetta against the library and wanted to take as many books as possible.
2. What does Hal discover in the notebook?
(a) A short story.
(b) A proof.
(c) A theory of physics.
(d) A painting.
3. What is the proof?
(a) A mathematical theorem about geometry.
(b) A mathematical theorem about prime numbers.
(c) Evidence in a criminal case involving Robert.
(d) Evidence in a criminal case involving Catherine.
4. What was Hal's state of mind when he met Catherine four years ago?
(a) Confused; he did not have any idea who she was.
(b) Angry; he's hoped to meet Robert alone.
(c) Nervous; he was dropping off his thesis for her father to check.
(d) Happy; he'd specifically set up the meeting to talk to her.
5. What was Claire trying to do in her conversation with Catherine?
(a) She was trying to commit Catherine to a hospital.
(b) She was trying to figure out if Hal was taken or not.
(c) She was trying to figure out if Robert was alive.
(d) She was trying to make decisions, not start an argument.
6. How is Claire related to Catherine?
(a) She is Catherine's cousin.
(b) She is Catherine's mother.
(c) She is Catherine's sister.
(d) She is Catherine's aunt.
7. What is Claire doing with the house?
(a) She is burning it down.
(b) She is selling it to the University.
(c) She is fixing it up for Catherine.
(d) She and her fiance are moving into it.
8. How do Catherine and Hal feel at the top of the scene?
(a) They absolutely despise each other.
(b) Neither of them remember what happened last night.
(c) Awkward toward each other.
(d) Very happy with each other and planning a wedding.
9. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
(a) She learned about her in a college course.
(b) They know each other personally and have been friends for years.
(c) Robert gave her a book about the woman.
(d) She was one of Catherine's teachers.
10. Has Hal found anything coherent in the notebooks as of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) No, the only lucid notebook is the one he tried to give to Catherine on her birthday.
(b) Yes, he has found something profound in almost every notebook.
(c) Yes, he has already made off with ten notebooks and is planning to write a book.
(d) No, but he is not really reading the notebooks anyway--he just wants to go to band practice.
11. Why is the proof so important?
(a) If it is correct, Hal will be famous for discovering the notebook.
(b) If it is correct, it may solve world hunger mathematically.
(c) If it is correct, they will each get a million dollar prize.
(d) If it is correct, it proves a centuries-old theory that many thought could not be proven.
12. What does Catherine give to Hal?
(a) A ring that belonged to her mother.
(b) A cup of coffee meant for Claire.
(c) A backpack filled with notebooks.
(d) A key to the bottom drawer of the desk in Robert's office.
13. What does Claire want Catherine to do?
(a) Stay in the house where she and Robert lived.
(b) Go back to bed and rest.
(c) Move to New York, where Claire can keep an eye on her.
(d) Go back to school in Chicago.
14. Why is Hal hesitant after Catherine asks him about sex at the Conference?
(a) He dislikes her and does not want to talk about sex.
(b) He dislikes her and is thinking of a way to leave.
(c) He is not sure if she likes him, and plans to give her a lie detector test to find out.
(d) He is not sure that she is flirting with him, and does not want to make a bad impression.
15. Where does Scene 1 take place?
(a) The back porch of a house in Chicago
(b) The basement of a house in Chicago
(c) The basement of a house in New York
(d) The back porch of a house in New York
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claire think Hal is to Catherine?
2. According to the letter Catherine has memorized, is Gauss pleased to discover the letters he has received are from a woman?
3. What were the police told when they responded to Catherine's 9-1-1 call?
4. What is a graphomaniac?
5. What instrument does Hal play?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)