|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Claire want Catherine to stay, instead of coming back to the house to care for Robert?
(a) In the mental facility.
(b) In her marriage.
(c) In school.
(d) In New York City.
2. Why is Claire concerned after speaking with the policemen?
(a) The policemen have a new break in the case over Robert's death.
(b) They forced their way into Catherine's house, breaking things and trying to intimidate Catherine.
(c) The policemen have Catherine in custody, and she must pay the bail.
(d) They claimed Catherine was rude and abusive when they responded to her 911 call the evening before.
3. What does Claire want to do after the funeral?
(a) She wants to go straight to New York.
(b) She wants to have people over to the house.
(c) She wants to go straight to Boston.
(d) She wants to have a quiet evening at home, just she and Catherine.
4. Why is Hal hesitant after Catherine asks him about sex at the Conference?
(a) He is not sure if she likes him, and plans to give her a lie detector test to find out.
(b) He dislikes her and does not want to talk about sex.
(c) He is not sure that she is flirting with him, and does not want to make a bad impression.
(d) He dislikes her and is thinking of a way to leave.
5. What organic chemical(s) is contained in the beauty product Claire wishes Catherine to try?
(b) Green tea extract.
(c) Vitamins and minerals.
6. What does Claire want Catherine to do?
(a) Go back to bed and rest.
(b) Move to New York, where Claire can keep an eye on her.
(c) Go back to school in Chicago.
(d) Stay in the house where she and Robert lived.
7. Who is Sophie Germain?
(a) A woman who teaches at the University of Chicago and was very close to Robert.
(b) A woman who published great mathematical works under a pseudonym during the French Revolution.
(c) A woman Catherine previously thought was her mother.
(d) A woman whose husband stole her ideas and published her work under his name.
8. How many days has Catherine "lost"?
9. What was Hal's state of mind when he met Catherine four years ago?
(a) Happy; he'd specifically set up the meeting to talk to her.
(b) Angry; he's hoped to meet Robert alone.
(c) Confused; he did not have any idea who she was.
(d) Nervous; he was dropping off his thesis for her father to check.
10. Whose idea was it to have the band play at the house after the funeral?
(a) Robert's idea.
(b) Catherine's idea.
(c) Hal's idea.
(d) Claire's idea.
11. Why did Claire stay up so late?
(a) She got caught with the physicists, and all her friends went home.
(b) She was arguing with Catherine.
(c) She was working on a very important paper.
(d) She could not sleep.
12. How do Catherine and Hal feel at the top of the scene?
(a) Neither of them remember what happened last night.
(b) Awkward toward each other.
(c) They absolutely despise each other.
(d) Very happy with each other and planning a wedding.
13. What instrument does Hal play?
(a) The drums.
(b) The piano.
(c) The bass.
(d) The guitar.
14. Has Hal found anything coherent in the notebooks as of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) No, but he is not really reading the notebooks anyway--he just wants to go to band practice.
(b) Yes, he has already made off with ten notebooks and is planning to write a book.
(c) No, the only lucid notebook is the one he tried to give to Catherine on her birthday.
(d) Yes, he has found something profound in almost every notebook.
15. How does Catherine take her coffee?
(a) With only cream.
(b) With sugar and cream.
(d) With only sugar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Robert's occupation?
2. What is the lighting direction at the end of the scene?
3. What does Claire think of Hal when Catherine first tries to explain the events of the previous night?
4. What is Hal's full name?
5. What does Catherine give to Hal?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)