|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Hal discover in the notebook?
(a) A painting.
(b) A theory of physics.
(c) A short story.
(d) A proof.
2. What does Claire want to do after the funeral?
(a) She wants to go straight to Boston.
(b) She wants to go straight to New York.
(c) She wants to have people over to the house.
(d) She wants to have a quiet evening at home, just she and Catherine.
3. What does Claire fear about Catherine?
(a) She fears that Catherine will run away.
(b) She fears Catherine's brute strength, because they have fought many times before.
(c) She fears that Catherine is talented, but tends toward instability like Robert.
(d) She fears that Catherine will move to New York City.
4. How do Catherine and Hal feel at the top of the scene?
(a) Neither of them remember what happened last night.
(b) Very happy with each other and planning a wedding.
(c) Awkward toward each other.
(d) They absolutely despise each other.
5. Why is Hal hesitant after Catherine asks him about sex at the Conference?
(a) He is not sure if she likes him, and plans to give her a lie detector test to find out.
(b) He dislikes her and does not want to talk about sex.
(c) He is not sure that she is flirting with him, and does not want to make a bad impression.
(d) He dislikes her and is thinking of a way to leave.
6. What does Claire make Catherine for breakfast?
(a) Nothing; as far as she is concerned, Catherine can make her own breakfast.
(c) Bagels, fruit, and coffee.
(d) Bacon and eggs.
7. Why did Hal not attempt to pursue Catherine after their initial meeting?
(a) He was in love with Claire.
(b) He did not initially like Catherine at all, and avoided her at all costs.
(c) He did not feel it was appropriate to flirt with his doctoral advisor's daughter.
(d) He disliked Robert, and assumed he would dislike Catherine as well.
8. What were the police told when they responded to Catherine's 9-1-1 call?
(a) There was a murder.
(b) There was a fire.
(c) There was a robbery.
(d) There was shoot out.
9. What was Hal's state of mind when he met Catherine four years ago?
(a) Happy; he'd specifically set up the meeting to talk to her.
(b) Confused; he did not have any idea who she was.
(c) Angry; he's hoped to meet Robert alone.
(d) Nervous; he was dropping off his thesis for her father to check.
10. Is Catherine pleased that Hal kisses her?
(a) No, she has no interest in him whatsoever.
(b) Yes, she has been in love with him since they first met four years ago.
(c) No, she promptly throws her beer at him and runs.
(d) Yes, she kisses him back at the end of the scene.
11. How many notebooks did Robert leave behind?
12. What time of day does Catherine's conversation with Robert occur?
(a) Between 7:00AM and 8:00AM.
(b) Between 9:00PM and 10:00PM.
(c) Between 12:00AM and 1:00AM.
(d) Between 2:00PM and 3:00PM.
13. Who is Sophie Germain?
(a) A woman Catherine previously thought was her mother.
(b) A woman who published great mathematical works under a pseudonym during the French Revolution.
(c) A woman who teaches at the University of Chicago and was very close to Robert.
(d) A woman whose husband stole her ideas and published her work under his name.
14. Whose idea was it to have the band play at the house after the funeral?
(a) Catherine's idea.
(b) Claire's idea.
(c) Robert's idea.
(d) Hal's idea.
15. What does Claire want Catherine to do?
(a) Move to New York, where Claire can keep an eye on her.
(b) Stay in the house where she and Robert lived.
(c) Go back to bed and rest.
(d) Go back to school in Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Claire related to Catherine?
2. Where did Hal go to the mathematician conference?
3. How many days has Catherine "lost"?
4. What organic chemical(s) is contained in the beauty product Claire wishes Catherine to try?
5. Why is the proof so important?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)