|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Catherine's relation to Robert?
(a) She is his boss.
(b) She is his wife.
(c) She is his daughter.
(d) She is his sister.
2. What is Claire's relationship to Catherine?
(a) She is the housekeeper.
(b) She is Catherine's best friend.
(c) She is Catherine's mother.
(d) She is Catherine's sister.
3. What does Hal discover in the notebook?
(a) A painting.
(b) A proof.
(c) A theory of physics.
(d) A short story.
4. How old was Robert when his illness began?
(a) Fifty-five or fifty-six.
(b) Sixteen or seventeen.
(c) Thirty or thirty-one.
(d) Twenty-three or twenty-four.
5. What is the proof?
(a) Evidence in a criminal case involving Catherine.
(b) A mathematical theorem about geometry.
(c) A mathematical theorem about prime numbers.
(d) Evidence in a criminal case involving Robert.
6. What does Claire fear about Catherine?
(a) She fears Catherine's brute strength, because they have fought many times before.
(b) She fears that Catherine will run away.
(c) She fears that Catherine is talented, but tends toward instability like Robert.
(d) She fears that Catherine will move to New York City.
7. Why does Hal say some of the older mathematicians use amphetamines?
(a) They think they need the drugs to stay sharp; math is a young man's game.
(b) They are bored with being brilliant and have nothing better to do.
(c) They are the easiest drugs to attain on the college campus.
(d) They are insecure and trying to fit in with the other mathematicians.
8. Who says they wrote the proof?
9. Who paid the mortgage on the house during Robert's illness?
10. Why is Claire confused about Catherine's relationship to Hal?
(a) Because she does not know if they were partying together, if he was an intruder, or if he only exists in Catherine's mind.
(b) Because prior to this incident, she knows Catherine and Hal were the best of friends.
(c) Because Hal and Robert are friends, but not Hal and Catherine.
(d) Because Hal and Catherine were engaged to be married.
11. According to the letter Catherine has memorized, is Gauss pleased to discover the letters he has received are from a woman?
(a) Yes, he regards her as courageous and genius.
(b) No, he thinks his ideas are the only valid ones.
(c) No, he thinks a woman's place is in the household.
(d) Yes, he hopes he can take her out on a date sometime.
12. Why is Claire concerned after speaking with the policemen?
(a) They claimed Catherine was rude and abusive when they responded to her 911 call the evening before.
(b) The policemen have a new break in the case over Robert's death.
(c) The policemen have Catherine in custody, and she must pay the bail.
(d) They forced their way into Catherine's house, breaking things and trying to intimidate Catherine.
13. What does Claire want to do after the funeral?
(a) She wants to go straight to Boston.
(b) She wants to go straight to New York.
(c) She wants to have a quiet evening at home, just she and Catherine.
(d) She wants to have people over to the house.
14. What is a graphomaniac?
(a) A person who compulsively writes, though the writing may make no sense.
(b) A person who makes lots and lots of graphs.
(c) A person who cannot abide the sight of paper.
(d) A person who hates writing and avoids it at all costs.
15. Why is Hal able to put the notebooks in order?
(a) Because he has carbon-dated the pages in a lab.
(b) Because Catherine has helped him organize.
(c) Because Robert dated every entry.
(d) Because the notebooks are color-coded.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
2. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
3. What organic chemical(s) is contained in the beauty product Claire wishes Catherine to try?
4. What is Claire doing with the house?
5. What is Hal carrying when he enters?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)