|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hal hesitant after Catherine asks him about sex at the Conference?
(a) He dislikes her and is thinking of a way to leave.
(b) He is not sure if she likes him, and plans to give her a lie detector test to find out.
(c) He is not sure that she is flirting with him, and does not want to make a bad impression.
(d) He dislikes her and does not want to talk about sex.
2. What name does Claire call Catherine by?
3. What does Catherine give to Hal?
(a) A backpack filled with notebooks.
(b) A cup of coffee meant for Claire.
(c) A ring that belonged to her mother.
(d) A key to the bottom drawer of the desk in Robert's office.
4. What does Claire think Hal is to Catherine?
(a) She thinks he is her professor.
(b) She thinks he is a police officer.
(c) She thinks he is her best friend.
(d) She thinks he is her boyfriend.
5. Whose idea was it to have the band play at the house after the funeral?
(a) Hal's idea.
(b) Robert's idea.
(c) Claire's idea.
(d) Catherine's idea.
6. Where did Hal go to the mathematician conference?
(c) New York.
(d) Los Angeles.
7. Why is Hal able to put the notebooks in order?
(a) Because Catherine has helped him organize.
(b) Because he has carbon-dated the pages in a lab.
(c) Because the notebooks are color-coded.
(d) Because Robert dated every entry.
8. What does Claire make Catherine for breakfast?
(a) Nothing; as far as she is concerned, Catherine can make her own breakfast.
(c) Bagels, fruit, and coffee.
(d) Bacon and eggs.
9. Why is Catherine upset with Claire at the end of Scene 2?
(a) She resents Claire swooping in and trying to take care of her.
(b) She despises the coffee that Claire has made.
(c) She is angry that Claire has borrowed her clothes.
(d) She is jealous that Claire is getting married.
10. What is Catherine wearing at the top of the scene?
(a) A blouse and jeans.
(b) A swimsuit.
(c) A dress.
(d) A robe.
11. Why is Claire selling the house?
(a) She has no regard for anything but money.
(b) She hates the house and always has.
(c) She wants to help Catherine, and feels this is the only way.
(d) She cannot think of anything else to do with it.
12. Who apologizes to whom about the events from the night before? (i.e., the fight, the 9-1-1 call, and the attempted theft)?
(a) They apologize to each other--they both handled the situation poorly.
(b) Hal apologizes to Catherine--he should not have tried to take the notebook.
(c) Catherine apologizes to Hal--she should not have called the police.
(d) No one apologizes--they are still in a fight.
13. Why did Hal not attempt to pursue Catherine after their initial meeting?
(a) He was in love with Claire.
(b) He did not feel it was appropriate to flirt with his doctoral advisor's daughter.
(c) He did not initially like Catherine at all, and avoided her at all costs.
(d) He disliked Robert, and assumed he would dislike Catherine as well.
14. How does Catherine take her coffee?
(a) With only sugar.
(b) With sugar and cream.
(c) With only cream.
15. What does Hal do after Catherine quotes Gauss' letter to Sophie Germain?
(a) He laughs at her.
(b) He kisses her.
(c) He throws down his beer in anger.
(d) He exits.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robert get Catherine for her birthday?
2. How old was Robert when his illness began?
3. How old is Catherine turning?
4. Why is Claire in town?
5. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)