|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Claire related to Catherine?
(a) She is Catherine's aunt.
(b) She is Catherine's cousin.
(c) She is Catherine's sister.
(d) She is Catherine's mother.
2. What is Hal's excuse for kissing Catherine?
(a) He thought she was Claire.
(b) He thinks she owes him since he plays in the band.
(c) He's a little drunk.
(d) He has been in love with her for four years.
3. What is Hal carrying when he enters?
(a) A bouquet of flowers and a card.
(b) A briefcase and a parka.
(c) A laptop computer.
(d) A backpack and a folded jacket.
4. What is Catherine wearing at the top of the scene?
(a) A dress.
(b) A robe.
(c) A blouse and jeans.
(d) A swimsuit.
5. Where does Hal find the notebook?
(a) Locked in a chest in Catherine's room.
(b) Locked in a drawer in Robert's study.
(c) Locked in a filing cabinet in the basement.
(d) Locked in a safe deposit box in the kitchen.
6. Where does Catherine tell Claire to look for proof that Hal is real?
(a) In the closet.
(b) In the upstaris bedroom.
(c) In the paper.
(d) In the sky.
7. How did Robert die?
(a) Heart failure.
(c) A car accident.
8. Where did Claire want Catherine to stay, instead of coming back to the house to care for Robert?
(a) In school.
(b) In the mental facility.
(c) In New York City.
(d) In her marriage.
9. Why is Hal hesitant after Catherine asks him about sex at the Conference?
(a) He is not sure that she is flirting with him, and does not want to make a bad impression.
(b) He is not sure if she likes him, and plans to give her a lie detector test to find out.
(c) He dislikes her and is thinking of a way to leave.
(d) He dislikes her and does not want to talk about sex.
10. Why does Hal attempt to steal the notebook?
(a) He wants to wrap it, and give it to Catherine as a birthday present.
(b) He wants to publish the ideas in the notebook as his own.
(c) He plans to sell the notebook and make a profit.
(d) He wants to keep the notebook for sentimental reasons.
11. What does Claire want to do after the funeral?
(a) She wants to go straight to New York.
(b) She wants to go straight to Boston.
(c) She wants to have people over to the house.
(d) She wants to have a quiet evening at home, just she and Catherine.
12. According to Hal, what happens when a mathematician turns fifty?
(a) Their ideas are published in prestigious math magazines.
(b) They may experience concentration problems.
(c) They are at their creative peak.
(d) Their career is over; they may as well teach high school.
13. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
(a) She was one of Catherine's teachers.
(b) She learned about her in a college course.
(c) Robert gave her a book about the woman.
(d) They know each other personally and have been friends for years.
14. What does Claire want Catherine to do?
(a) Go back to bed and rest.
(b) Go back to school in Chicago.
(c) Move to New York, where Claire can keep an eye on her.
(d) Stay in the house where she and Robert lived.
15. How many notebooks did Robert leave behind?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Scene 1 take place?
2. What is Catherine's relation to Robert?
3. How does Catherine take her coffee?
4. Why is Claire selling the house?
5. Has Hal found anything coherent in the notebooks as of Act 1, Scene 3?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)