|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Hal at the house in Scene 1?
(a) He has been going through Robert's notebooks.
(b) He has been going on dates with Catherine.
(c) He has been fixing the heating system.
(d) He has been working on a math problem.
2. What was Hal's state of mind when he met Catherine four years ago?
(a) Nervous; he was dropping off his thesis for her father to check.
(b) Confused; he did not have any idea who she was.
(c) Happy; he'd specifically set up the meeting to talk to her.
(d) Angry; he's hoped to meet Robert alone.
3. What has Claire given Catherine to wear to the funeral?
(a) A hat.
(b) A ring.
(c) A suit.
(d) A dress.
4. What is Claire's finance's name?
5. What is Catherine wearing at the top of the scene?
(a) A blouse and jeans.
(b) A dress.
(c) A swimsuit.
(d) A robe.
6. What is Hal carrying when he enters?
(a) A backpack and a folded jacket.
(b) A briefcase and a parka.
(c) A laptop computer.
(d) A bouquet of flowers and a card.
7. Who interrupts Catherine and Robert's conversation?
(b) A passerby.
(d) A stray dog.
8. What is happening in the house after the funeral?
(a) A press conference.
(b) A party.
(c) An auction.
(d) A poetry reading.
9. What is a graphomaniac?
(a) A person who cannot abide the sight of paper.
(b) A person who compulsively writes, though the writing may make no sense.
(c) A person who hates writing and avoids it at all costs.
(d) A person who makes lots and lots of graphs.
10. Why does Hal attempt to steal the notebook?
(a) He plans to sell the notebook and make a profit.
(b) He wants to wrap it, and give it to Catherine as a birthday present.
(c) He wants to publish the ideas in the notebook as his own.
(d) He wants to keep the notebook for sentimental reasons.
11. What does Claire fear about Catherine?
(a) She fears that Catherine will run away.
(b) She fears that Catherine will move to New York City.
(c) She fears that Catherine is talented, but tends toward instability like Robert.
(d) She fears Catherine's brute strength, because they have fought many times before.
12. Where did Claire want Catherine to stay, instead of coming back to the house to care for Robert?
(a) In school.
(b) In New York City.
(c) In her marriage.
(d) In the mental facility.
13. Who says they wrote the proof?
14. Has Hal found anything coherent in the notebooks as of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Yes, he has found something profound in almost every notebook.
(b) No, the only lucid notebook is the one he tried to give to Catherine on her birthday.
(c) Yes, he has already made off with ten notebooks and is planning to write a book.
(d) No, but he is not really reading the notebooks anyway--he just wants to go to band practice.
15. Why did Hal not attempt to pursue Catherine after their initial meeting?
(a) He was in love with Claire.
(b) He disliked Robert, and assumed he would dislike Catherine as well.
(c) He did not feel it was appropriate to flirt with his doctoral advisor's daughter.
(d) He did not initially like Catherine at all, and avoided her at all costs.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Hal arrive in the scene?
2. How old is Catherine turning?
3. Why is Claire in town?
4. How did Hal and Catherine meet four years ago?
5. What does Claire want to do after the funeral?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)