|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What time of day does Catherine's conversation with Robert occur?
(a) Between 12:00AM and 1:00AM.
(b) Between 9:00PM and 10:00PM.
(c) Between 2:00PM and 3:00PM.
(d) Between 7:00AM and 8:00AM.
2. Who was Claire drinking with the night before?
(b) The theoretical physicists.
3. How old is Catherine turning?
4. Where did Claire want Catherine to stay, instead of coming back to the house to care for Robert?
(a) In her marriage.
(b) In New York City.
(c) In school.
(d) In the mental facility.
5. What is Claire's finance's name?
6. How did Robert die?
(a) A car accident.
(c) Heart failure.
7. What is Claire doing with the house?
(a) She and her fiance are moving into it.
(b) She is fixing it up for Catherine.
(c) She is selling it to the University.
(d) She is burning it down.
8. Who is Sophie Germain?
(a) A woman who published great mathematical works under a pseudonym during the French Revolution.
(b) A woman Catherine previously thought was her mother.
(c) A woman who teaches at the University of Chicago and was very close to Robert.
(d) A woman whose husband stole her ideas and published her work under his name.
9. Who paid the mortgage on the house during Robert's illness?
10. Why is Catherine upset with Claire at the end of Scene 2?
(a) She despises the coffee that Claire has made.
(b) She resents Claire swooping in and trying to take care of her.
(c) She is jealous that Claire is getting married.
(d) She is angry that Claire has borrowed her clothes.
11. Why is the proof so important?
(a) If it is correct, Hal will be famous for discovering the notebook.
(b) If it is correct, it may solve world hunger mathematically.
(c) If it is correct, they will each get a million dollar prize.
(d) If it is correct, it proves a centuries-old theory that many thought could not be proven.
12. What does Claire fear about Catherine?
(a) She fears that Catherine is talented, but tends toward instability like Robert.
(b) She fears that Catherine will run away.
(c) She fears that Catherine will move to New York City.
(d) She fears Catherine's brute strength, because they have fought many times before.
13. Why is Hal able to put the notebooks in order?
(a) Because Catherine has helped him organize.
(b) Because Robert dated every entry.
(c) Because he has carbon-dated the pages in a lab.
(d) Because the notebooks are color-coded.
14. What does Hal discover in the notebook?
(a) A proof.
(b) A short story.
(c) A painting.
(d) A theory of physics.
15. What is the proof?
(a) Evidence in a criminal case involving Robert.
(b) A mathematical theorem about prime numbers.
(c) Evidence in a criminal case involving Catherine.
(d) A mathematical theorem about geometry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Catherine get the dress she wore to the funeral?
2. Why is Hal at the house in Scene 1?
3. What is Hal's full name?
4. What does Claire want to do after the funeral?
5. What is Hal's excuse for kissing Catherine?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)