|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Claire's relationship to Catherine?
(a) She is Catherine's best friend.
(b) She is the housekeeper.
(c) She is Catherine's mother.
(d) She is Catherine's sister.
2. What is the proof?
(a) Evidence in a criminal case involving Catherine.
(b) Evidence in a criminal case involving Robert.
(c) A mathematical theorem about prime numbers.
(d) A mathematical theorem about geometry.
3. How does Catherine know about Sophie Germain?
(a) They know each other personally and have been friends for years.
(b) She learned about her in a college course.
(c) Robert gave her a book about the woman.
(d) She was one of Catherine's teachers.
4. What beauty product does Claire insist that Catherine try?
(a) Her conditioner.
(b) Her body wash.
(c) Her nail polish.
(d) Her face wash.
5. What does Claire fear about Catherine?
(a) She fears that Catherine will run away.
(b) She fears that Catherine is talented, but tends toward instability like Robert.
(c) She fears that Catherine will move to New York City.
(d) She fears Catherine's brute strength, because they have fought many times before.
6. How did Hal and Catherine meet four years ago?
(a) At a supermarket in the frozen foods aisle.
(b) Catherine was in one of his classes.
(c) At a party on campus.
(d) He was dropping off his thesis for Robert's perusal.
7. What does Catherine give to Hal?
(a) A key to the bottom drawer of the desk in Robert's office.
(b) A ring that belonged to her mother.
(c) A cup of coffee meant for Claire.
(d) A backpack filled with notebooks.
8. What did Catherine think of Hal the first time they met?
(a) She thought he talked too much.
(b) She thought he was terribly boring.
(c) She thought he was not boring.
(d) She thought she loved him.
9. What does Catherine insist on searching before Hal leaves?
(a) His backpack.
(b) His computer files.
(c) His briefcase.
(d) His wallet.
10. Who paid the mortgage on the house during Robert's illness?
11. How did Robert die?
(b) A car accident.
(c) Heart failure.
12. Has Hal found anything coherent in the notebooks as of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Yes, he has already made off with ten notebooks and is planning to write a book.
(b) Yes, he has found something profound in almost every notebook.
(c) No, but he is not really reading the notebooks anyway--he just wants to go to band practice.
(d) No, the only lucid notebook is the one he tried to give to Catherine on her birthday.
13. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
(a) Biochemistry, zoology, and entomology.
(b) Contemporary american fiction, contemporary satire, and poetry.
(c) Game theory, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear operator theory.
(d) Weapons research, triangulation theory, and international politics.
14. How old is Catherine turning?
15. What was Claire trying to do in her conversation with Catherine?
(a) She was trying to figure out if Hal was taken or not.
(b) She was trying to make decisions, not start an argument.
(c) She was trying to figure out if Robert was alive.
(d) She was trying to commit Catherine to a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hal's full name?
2. Why is Claire concerned after speaking with the policemen?
3. How is Claire related to Catherine?
4. In her conversation with Robert, why is Catherine worried?
5. Why is Hal able to put the notebooks in order?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)