|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fields did Robert, in his younger days, make significant contributions to, according to Hal?
(a) Contemporary american fiction, contemporary satire, and poetry.
(b) Weapons research, triangulation theory, and international politics.
(c) Game theory, algebraic geometry, and nonlinear operator theory.
(d) Biochemistry, zoology, and entomology.
2. What does Catherine give to Hal?
(a) A key to the bottom drawer of the desk in Robert's office.
(b) A backpack filled with notebooks.
(c) A cup of coffee meant for Claire.
(d) A ring that belonged to her mother.
3. Why is Hal unhappy with his own work?
(a) His work is brilliant, but no one will recognize it.
(b) He only wants to play drums in his band; the math stuff is just a day job.
(c) He has stolen all his ideas from a colleague, and feels guilty.
(d) He thinks his ideas are trivial, and his most creative days are behind him.
4. Why is Hal at the house in Scene 1?
(a) He has been going through Robert's notebooks.
(b) He has been working on a math problem.
(c) He has been going on dates with Catherine.
(d) He has been fixing the heating system.
5. Why did Robert keep requesting that Catherine check out library books for him?
(a) He had a vendetta against the library and wanted to take as many books as possible.
(b) He had a goal to read every single book in the library.
(c) He thought that aliens were sending him messages through the Dewey decimal system and was working out the code.
(d) He was building a large model out of library books in his office.
6. What does Claire want Catherine to do?
(a) Stay in the house where she and Robert lived.
(b) Go back to school in Chicago.
(c) Move to New York, where Claire can keep an eye on her.
(d) Go back to bed and rest.
7. Besides apartments, what other facilities has Claire scouted for Catherine?
(a) Childcare centers.
(c) Mental health centers.
8. How many notebooks did Robert leave behind?
9. What is Hal's full name?
(a) Halfred Jones.
(b) Harold Jones.
(c) Halfred Dobbs.
(d) Harold Dobbs.
10. How many days has Catherine "lost"?
11. What is Hal carrying when he enters?
(a) A bouquet of flowers and a card.
(b) A laptop computer.
(c) A backpack and a folded jacket.
(d) A briefcase and a parka.
12. What instrument does Hal play?
(a) The guitar.
(b) The drums.
(c) The bass.
(d) The piano.
13. Who thinks Robert should have been put in professional care?
14. Where does Scene 1 take place?
(a) The back porch of a house in New York
(b) The basement of a house in New York
(c) The basement of a house in Chicago
(d) The back porch of a house in Chicago
15. Why is Hal able to put the notebooks in order?
(a) Because he has carbon-dated the pages in a lab.
(b) Because Catherine has helped him organize.
(c) Because Robert dated every entry.
(d) Because the notebooks are color-coded.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Hal hesitant after Catherine asks him about sex at the Conference?
2. According to Hal, what happens when a mathematician turns fifty?
3. Why does Claire want Catherine to come to New York?
4. Who apologizes to whom about the events from the night before? (i.e., the fight, the 9-1-1 call, and the attempted theft)?
5. Where does Hal find the notebook?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)