Act 1 Scene 1
• The play opens with Robert and Catherine, father and daughter, sitting on the front porch at midnight.
• It is Catherine's birthday and she drinks drinks champagne straight from the bottle as she and Robert, who has been dead for a week, discuss whether or not she has inherited Robert's insanity.
• The notebook is the only lucid writing Hal has found, and he meant to wrap it and give it to Catherine for her birthday.
• Hal gets done looking through Robert's notebooks upstairs and invites Catherine to come see his band play.
• Catherine thinks it is useless for Hal to go through the notebooks because they are full of gibberish.
• Catherine searches Hal's backpack for a stolen notebook, and discovers he has hidden one in his jacket.
• She calls the police to report a robbery in progress.
• Hal explains that he meant to wrap the notebook and...
This section contains 1,149 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)