|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was leaked to the newspapers that did away with American public resistance to the Armed Ship Bill?
2. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
3. How did Norris attack Joe Cannon's power?
4. On what basis did Edmund G. Ross claim his right not to decide until all the evidence was presented against Johnson.
5. Prior to the Civil War, what notable action did Lamar undertake with Jefferson Davis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
2. What was Sen. Robert A. Taft's unrealized political ambition throughout his career?
3. What was the Armed Ship Bill and why did Norris oppose it?
4. How did the Senate Republicans feel about Ross when he first came to Congress?
5. What difference does Kennedy see between breaking with a political party and breaking with a section?
6. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
7. Why is Ross called the man who saved a president?
8. How did Edmund G. Ross come to the U.S. Senate from Kansas?
9. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
10. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay about courage in sports.
Essay Topic 2
Write about a time when you found it necessary to compromise.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the presidencies of John Adams and John Quincey Adams and the presidencies of George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush.
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)