|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was leaked to the newspapers that did away with American public resistance to the Armed Ship Bill?
2. What Speaker of the House did Norris oppose to the chagrin of his party?
3. What was the Armed Ship Bill?
4. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
5. What disease cut short Lamar's military career?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Armed Ship Bill and why did Norris oppose it?
2. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
3. How was Lamar able to win back the support of the people of Mississippi?
4. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
5. Sen. Lucius Lamar of Mississippi entered Congress as a secessionist but after the Civil War he worked for compromise. Why?
6. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
7. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
8. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
9. What was the reaction of the Democrats to Taft's public statements?
10. What is some of the speculation regarding Ross' not revealing how he would vote until he cast his vote on the Senate floor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about a great example of political compromise in the history of the world. (You choose the topic.)
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about the most courageous person you have ever met.
Essay Topic 3
Write a narrative about someone from your school who showed uncommon courage.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)