|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was leaked to the newspapers that did away with American public resistance to the Armed Ship Bill?
2. What nickname was given to Joe Cannon because of his power?
3. What was ironic when the Matthews Resolution came up for a vote in the Senate?
4. What was Lamar's main purpose in his political actions?
5. Why did Norris oppose the Armed Ship Bill when his state seemed to favor it?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Senate Republicans feel about Ross when he first came to Congress?
2. What was the reaction of the Democrats to Taft's public statements?
3. Why did Taft speak out against the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war leaders?
4. What difference does Kennedy see between breaking with a political party and breaking with a section?
5. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
6. How did Norris manage to stop the vote on the Armed Ship Bill?
7. What was the Armed Ship Bill and why did Norris oppose it?
8. How was Lamar able to win back the support of the people of Mississippi?
9. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
10. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in a paper why Sen. Norris' support for Al Smith for President might have been of special interest to Sen. John Kennedy.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the difference between compromising methods and compromising ideals.
Essay Topic 3
Write a two page paper on three people you believe should be in a future book on profiles in courage.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)