|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Robert A. Taft have in common with John Quincey Adams?
2. Why was it so surprising to the Radical Republicans that Ross would not announce his vote before the trial began?
3. What does Kennedy identify as the personal tragedy and national greatness about Sen. Robert A. Taft?
4. Why did George Norris believe Big Business was urging the country into war?
5. Who said that he would rather be in his grave than in the presidency?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was wrong with the situation under the lead of Czar Cannon in the House?
2. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
3. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
4. What was Sen. Robert A. Taft's unrealized political ambition throughout his career?
5. How did Edmund G. Ross come to the U.S. Senate from Kansas?
6. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
7. What was the Armed Ship Bill and why did Norris oppose it?
8. How was Lamar able to win back the support of the people of Mississippi?
9. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
10. What difference does Kennedy see between breaking with a political party and breaking with a section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that compares slavery to segregation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about compromise and how it is necessary to getting along in life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay on your personal idea of courage. Use some example from your life or that you know about personally.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)