|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Johnson's purpose as President that caused him problems with the Radical Republicans?
2. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
3. What famous American represented the Boston Massacre defendants in 1770?
4. What famous piece of legislation bears Robert A. Taft's name?
5. Who was the Senator from Nebraska who opposed President Woodrow Wilson's Armed Ship Bill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is some of the speculation regarding Ross' not revealing how he would vote until he cast his vote on the Senate floor?
2. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
3. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
4. How did the Senate Republicans feel about Ross when he first came to Congress?
5. How did Edmund G. Ross come to the U.S. Senate from Kansas?
6. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
7. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
8. What was the result of Lamar's appointment to oversee the recount in the Hayes-Tilden presidential vote?
9. What was the reaction of the Democrats to Taft's public statements?
10. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interview and write about a fireman who has faced serious danger.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in a paper why Sen. Norris' support for Al Smith for President might have been of special interest to Sen. John Kennedy.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the presidencies of John Adams and John Quincey Adams and the presidencies of George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)