|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Lucius Lamar first run for Congress?
2. What was the Jay Treaty and why did President Washington support it?
3. What senator dashed his presidential hopes by speaking out against the Ku Klux Klan?
4. Who said that he would rather be in his grave than in the presidency?
5. What was Lamar's involvement in the controversial Hayes-Tilden presidential election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the Armed Ship Bill and why did Norris oppose it?
2. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
3. What was Norris' working knowledge of both poverty and war?
4. Sen. Lucius Lamar of Mississippi entered Congress as a secessionist but after the Civil War he worked for compromise. Why?
5. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
6. How did Lamar win respect from Northerners and Democrats in Congress?
7. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
8. What were Ross' feelings about the presidency that caused him to vote the way he did even though he opposed President Andrew Johnson?
9. Why is Ross called the man who saved a president?
10. How did the Senate Republicans feel about Ross when he first came to Congress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Connect the annexation of Texas, the addition of Oregon, and the Kansas-Nebraska Bill and show why they were so politically hot issues.
Essay Topic 2
Write a narrative about what it must have been like for Sam Houston to live with the Cherokee as a boy.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about the most courageous person you have ever met.
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)