|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy identify as the personal tragedy and national greatness about Sen. Robert A. Taft?
2. What was Lamar able to convince President Hayes to do?
3. Who made the statement that when he had made up his mind it was not in the power of man to divert him?
4. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
5. Which senator saved himself from dunking by giving a speech beside the river?
Short Essay Questions
1. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
2. What was the result of Lamar's appointment to oversee the recount in the Hayes-Tilden presidential vote?
3. How did Lamar win respect from Northerners and Democrats in Congress?
4. Why is Ross called the man who saved a president?
5. What was the Armed Ship Bill and why did Norris oppose it?
6. What difference does Kennedy see between breaking with a political party and breaking with a section?
7. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
8. Why did Taft speak out against the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war leaders?
9. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
10. What were Ross' feelings about the presidency that caused him to vote the way he did even though he opposed President Andrew Johnson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a brief account of the Nuremberg trials.
Essay Topic 2
Write a two page paper on three people you believe should be in a future book on profiles in courage.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about a great example of political compromise in the history of the world. (You choose the topic.)
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)