|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
2. What was ironic when the Matthews Resolution came up for a vote in the Senate?
3. What was the irony of Norris' using the filibuster to fight passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
4. What was Lamar able to convince President Hayes to do?
5. Which candidate did Norris support in the 1928 Presidential election?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is some of the speculation regarding Ross' not revealing how he would vote until he cast his vote on the Senate floor?
2. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
3. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
4. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
5. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
6. How did Norris manage to stop the vote on the Armed Ship Bill?
7. Why is Ross called the man who saved a president?
8. What was the Armed Ship Bill and why did Norris oppose it?
9. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
10. How did Lamar win respect from Northerners and Democrats in Congress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the presidencies of John Adams and John Quincey Adams and the presidencies of George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in a paper why Sen. Norris' support for Al Smith for President might have been of special interest to Sen. John Kennedy.
Essay Topic 3
Connect the annexation of Texas, the addition of Oregon, and the Kansas-Nebraska Bill and show why they were so politically hot issues.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)