|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Norris always oppose President Wilson's measures?
2. What did Robert A. Taft have in common with John Quincey Adams?
3. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
4. How did journalist William Preston Johnson describe the intellectual atmosphere of the Lamar family?
5. On what basis did Edmund G. Ross claim his right not to decide until all the evidence was presented against Johnson.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Lamar win respect from Northerners and Democrats in Congress?
2. What is some of the speculation regarding Ross' not revealing how he would vote until he cast his vote on the Senate floor?
3. How did the Senate Republicans feel about Ross when he first came to Congress?
4. What was the reaction of the Democrats to Taft's public statements?
5. How did Edmund G. Ross come to the U.S. Senate from Kansas?
6. How was Lamar able to win back the support of the people of Mississippi?
7. What were Ross' feelings about the presidency that caused him to vote the way he did even though he opposed President Andrew Johnson?
8. What was the downfall of Sen. Oscar W. Underwood of Alabama?
9. What was Sen. Robert A. Taft's unrealized political ambition throughout his career?
10. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about a time when you found it necessary to compromise.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about compromise and how it is necessary to getting along in life.
Essay Topic 3
Critics proclaimed Kennedy's book as being a-political. What did they mean by that and do you agree? Write your answer in a one-page, type written, double spaced paper.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)