|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unwanted praise did Norris and his group receive after the filibuster?
2. Who called Taft's speech against the Nazi war crimes trials a classic example of his muddled and confused thinking?
3. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
4. Of the 54 Senator in Congress, how many were openly opposed to the impeachment?
5. What were Norris' opening words at the public meeting in Nebraska after the filibuster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
2. Why did Taft speak out against the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war leaders?
3. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
4. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
5. What was the downfall of Sen. Oscar W. Underwood of Alabama?
6. How was Lamar able to win back the support of the people of Mississippi?
7. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
8. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
9. How did Norris manage to stop the vote on the Armed Ship Bill?
10. Why is Ross called the man who saved a president?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay that compares slavery to segregation.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about compromise and how it is necessary to getting along in life.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay contrasting Daniel Webster's seeing nothing wrong with taking money from special interests and Sam Rayburn's refusal to take even government money for House trips. You can look up Sam Rayburn on Wikipedia.
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)