|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did George Norris decide to go against his constituents and vote according to his conscience?
2. What was the irony of Norris' using the filibuster to fight passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
3. What Speaker of the House did Norris oppose to the chagrin of his party?
4. Taft's words on freedom of thought, freedom from orthodox dogma, and the right to think for oneself are his definition of what?
5. What does Kennedy identify as the personal tragedy and national greatness about Sen. Robert A. Taft?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the result of Lamar's appointment to oversee the recount in the Hayes-Tilden presidential vote?
2. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
3. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
4. What was Sen. Robert A. Taft's unrealized political ambition throughout his career?
5. What happened to Ross after the Johnson impeachment proceedings?
6. How did the Senate Republicans feel about Ross when he first came to Congress?
7. What is some of the speculation regarding Ross' not revealing how he would vote until he cast his vote on the Senate floor?
8. How did Edmund G. Ross come to the U.S. Senate from Kansas?
9. What difference does Kennedy see between breaking with a political party and breaking with a section?
10. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a two page paper on three people you believe should be in a future book on profiles in courage.
Essay Topic 2
Write a narrative about someone from your school who showed uncommon courage.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about compromise and how it is necessary to getting along in life.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)