|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Radical Republicans happy to see Edmund G. Ross come to the Senate?
2. Did Norris always oppose President Wilson's measures?
3. What was leaked to the newspapers that did away with American public resistance to the Armed Ship Bill?
4. What characteristic of Sen. Taft did Kennedy suggest might best be judged after many years?
5. On what basis did Edmund G. Ross claim his right not to decide until all the evidence was presented against Johnson.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Norris manage to stop the vote on the Armed Ship Bill?
2. Why did Taft speak out against the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war leaders?
3. Sen. Lucius Lamar of Mississippi entered Congress as a secessionist but after the Civil War he worked for compromise. Why?
4. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
5. Why was it courageous of Norris to support Al Smith for President?
6. What was the Armed Ship Bill and why did Norris oppose it?
7. What was the downfall of Sen. Oscar W. Underwood of Alabama?
8. What was Norris' working knowledge of both poverty and war?
9. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
10. How was Lamar able to win back the support of the people of Mississippi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write about a time when you found it necessary to compromise.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in a paper why Sen. Norris' support for Al Smith for President might have been of special interest to Sen. John Kennedy.
Essay Topic 3
How do you think American history might have been completely different if Edmund Norris had voted against President Johnson?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)