|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What senator dashed his presidential hopes by speaking out against the Ku Klux Klan?
2. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
3. Why did Norris oppose the Armed Ship Bill when his state seemed to favor it?
4. What book did Lamar later say was the first one ever put into his hands to read?
5. What does Kennedy suggest is the number of courageous Senators who have put their political lives on the line in order to speak honestly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
2. What was Sen. Robert A. Taft's unrealized political ambition throughout his career?
3. What was the downfall of Sen. Oscar W. Underwood of Alabama?
4. What difference does Kennedy see between breaking with a political party and breaking with a section?
5. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
6. What were Ross' feelings about the presidency that caused him to vote the way he did even though he opposed President Andrew Johnson?
7. Sen. Lucius Lamar of Mississippi entered Congress as a secessionist but after the Civil War he worked for compromise. Why?
8. How was Lamar able to win back the support of the people of Mississippi?
9. What was the reaction of the Democrats to Taft's public statements?
10. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think American history might have been completely different if Edmund Norris had voted against President Johnson?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about courage in sports.
Essay Topic 3
Write a narrative about what it must have been like for Sam Houston to live with the Cherokee as a boy.
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)