|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the six Republicans say they would not vote to convict President Johnson?
2. Why did George Norris believe Big Business was urging the country into war?
3. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
4. What does Kennedy suggest is the number of courageous Senators who have put their political lives on the line in order to speak honestly?
5. What Speaker of the House did Norris oppose to the chagrin of his party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
2. Sen. Lucius Lamar of Mississippi entered Congress as a secessionist but after the Civil War he worked for compromise. Why?
3. What was the result of Lamar's appointment to oversee the recount in the Hayes-Tilden presidential vote?
4. What difference does Kennedy see between breaking with a political party and breaking with a section?
5. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
6. After the Senate, what political office did Lamar hold?
7. What was the downfall of Sen. Oscar W. Underwood of Alabama?
8. Why did Taft speak out against the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war leaders?
9. What immediate reaction came from Gov. Dewey of New York after Taft opposed the Nazi war crimes trials?
10. Why was the Jay Treaty of 1795 so unpopular in the new country of the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do you think American history might have been completely different if Edmund Norris had voted against President Johnson?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay explaining the difference between compromising methods and compromising ideals.
Essay Topic 3
Critics proclaimed Kennedy's book as being a-political. What did they mean by that and do you agree? Write your answer in a one-page, type written, double spaced paper.
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)