|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Norris oppose the Armed Ship Bill when his state seemed to favor it?
2. What method did Sen. Norris use to prevent the passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
3. Why was Ross targeted for surveillance and harassment before the Johnson trial.
4. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
5. What senator dashed his presidential hopes by speaking out against the Ku Klux Klan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the reaction of the Democrats to Taft's public statements?
2. What was Norris' working knowledge of both poverty and war?
3. How was Lamar able to win back the support of the people of Mississippi?
4. What difference does Kennedy see between breaking with a political party and breaking with a section?
5. What was the first courageous act George W. Norris of Nebraska performed in Congress?
6. Why did Sen. Lamar vote against the Bland Silver Bill even though the Mississippi legislature had instructed him to vote for it?
7. Why did Taft speak out against the Nuremberg trials of Nazi war leaders?
8. What was an outstanding act of courage performed by Sen. John Tyler of Virginia?
9. What was wrong with the situation under the lead of Czar Cannon in the House?
10. What was the Armed Ship Bill and why did Norris oppose it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a two page paper on three people you believe should be in a future book on profiles in courage.
Essay Topic 2
Write about a time when you found it necessary to compromise.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay about compromise and how it is necessary to getting along in life.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)