|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many tickets were printed up for seats during the Johnson Impeachment Trial?
2. What was ironic when the Matthews Resolution came up for a vote in the Senate?
(a) Lamar had gone back to Mississippi and missed the vote.
(b) Matthews voted against his own resolution.
(c) Lamar voted against it but the other Senator, a Negro appointed by the reconstruction, voted for it.
(d) The Resolution came before the Senate before the Bland Bill.
3. What Speaker of the House did Norris oppose to the chagrin of his party?
(a) John Dalzell.
(b) Woodrow Wilson.
(c) Walter Smith.
(d) Joe Cannon.
4. To whom was Ross compared in a Kansas newspaper editorial?
(a) Judas Escariot
(b) Benedict Arnold.
(c) Marc Anthony
(d) Thomas Payne.
5. How did Lucius Lamar first run for Congress?
(a) As a Radical Republican.
(b) As an independent.
(c) As a pro-Unionist.
(d) As a secessionist.
6. What was the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) It provided for arming neutral American merchant ships.
(b) It provided for US Navy action while claiming neutrality.
(c) It provided for ships to supply weapons for the Allies in Europe.
(d) It provided a large tax increase to build upthe navy.
7. What famous speech did Lamar give in Congress?
(a) The Stars and Stripes speech.
(b) An eloquent eulogy for Charles Sumner.
(c) The case for Confederacy speech.
(d) Give me liberty of give me death speech.
8. Why did Norris oppose the Armed Ship Bill when his state seemed to favor it?
(a) Norris believed it was a ploy to get the US into WWI without going through congress.
(b) He thought it should really be a declaration of war.
(c) He wanted to gain fame as the man who defied President Wilson.
(d) He thought the bill would prevent the US from declaring war on Germany.
9. What unwanted praise did Norris and his group receive after the filibuster?
(a) Praise from the Mexican government.
(b) Praise from Lenin in Russia.
(c) Praise from the French who also opposed the war.
(d) Praise from the German press.
10. What was Lamar able to convince President Hayes to do?
(a) Apologize to the South for certain military actions during the war.
(b) Appoint Southerners to key positions in his cabinet.
(c) Withdraw occupation troops and restore Home Rule in key states.
(d) Give Tilden a much sought after ambassadorship.
11. Why was it so surprising to the Radical Republicans that Ross would not announce his vote before the trial began?
(a) Roos' history was one of anti-slavery and against the southern states.
(b) Because he was from Kansas, they thought he would not vote against his constituents.
(c) The senior Senator from Kansas was for convicting Johnson.
(d) He had been anti-Johnson for many years.
12. How did Lamar view the free silver movement of 1877?
(a) He saw it as creating easy inflationary money.
(b) He supported it to help save Mississippi.
(c) He saw it as a depletion of the nation's silver.
(d) He was too ill to pay it much attention.
13. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
(a) Envy and averace.
(b) Stubbornness and greed.
(c) Tact and humor.
(d) Amiability and aimlessness.
14. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
(a) The directions for how I should vote arrived after the vote had already been taken.
(b) If I had voted for it as directed I should have cast my first vote against my conscience.
(c) My vote was unimportant in a Senate populated with Radical Republicans and Democrats.
(d) I believe that statesmanship is dead in the South.
15. What high office did Lamar hold at the end of his career?
(a) Secretary of the Interior.
(b) Justice of the Supreme Court.
(c) Head of the Democratic National Committee.
(d) Vice-President of the United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said that he would rather be in his grave than in the presidency?
2. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
3. What memorable line did the Toledo BLADE print about Taft after he decried the Nuremberg trials?
4. Which senator saved himself from dunking by giving a speech beside the river?
5. Taft supported education, health, housing, and other welfare programs against his normal conservative Republicanism. Why?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)