|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(c) Vachal Lindsay.
(d) Walt Whitman.
2. What nickname was given to Joe Cannon because of his power?
(a) Lord Cannon.
(b) Czar Cannon.
(c) Duke Cannon.
(d) King Cannon.
3. How did journalist William Preston Johnson describe the intellectual atmosphere of the Lamar family?
(a) They were self taught but not uneducated.
(b) The Lamars had amassed a huge library.
(c) There was a black thread of moodiness in all the family.
(d) The fatal dowry of genius was upon the house.
4. What did Robert A. Taft have in common with John Quincey Adams?
(a) They both went to the same university.
(b) They were both Quakers.
(c) They both went on to serve on the Supreme Court.
(d) Both of their fathers had served as President of the USA.
5. How had President Johnson come to power?
(a) He had President Lincoln assassinated.
(b) He succeeded Lincoln after the assassination.
(c) He was appointed by Congress.
(d) He was popularly elected President by the people.
6. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
7. What were the results of Norris' opposition of President Wilson on the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) He was vilified for acting against the President.
(b) He was taken off all Senate committees.
(c) He resigned his seat in the Senate.
(d) He was recalled by Nebraska.
8. What famous American represented the Boston Massacre defendants in 1770?
(a) Charles Evans Hughes.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Thomas Payne.
(d) Paul Revere.
9. What position did Lamar take after the Civil War?
(a) That those who supported the Union should be tried as war criminals.
(b) That laws needed to be enacted to punish carpetbaggers.
(c) That people should save their confederate money.
(d) The way to end the South's suffering was compromise and reconciliation with the North.
10. What does Kennedy suggest is the number of courageous Senators who have put their political lives on the line in order to speak honestly?
(a) He wrote down a list of over fifty.
(b) He said every Senator has that kind of honesty.
(c) There are too many to name.
(d) The ones in his book are the only ones.
11. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
(a) Stubbornness and greed.
(b) Envy and averace.
(c) Amiability and aimlessness.
(d) Tact and humor.
12. On what basis did Edmund G. Ross claim his right not to decide until all the evidence was presented against Johnson.
(a) He wanted the publicity.
(b) He had taken the oath of impartiality.
(c) He thought it was all a big joke.
(d) He was trying to get bribe money for his vote.
13. Which courageous Senator refused to support the expunging of some of Jackson's military activities?
(a) Sen. Oscar Underwood of Alabama.
(b) Sen. Humphrey Marshall of Kentucky.
(c) Sen. John Tyler of Virginia.
(d) Sen. Andrew Johnson of Tennessee.
14. What was Lamar able to convince President Hayes to do?
(a) Give Tilden a much sought after ambassadorship.
(b) Appoint Southerners to key positions in his cabinet.
(c) Apologize to the South for certain military actions during the war.
(d) Withdraw occupation troops and restore Home Rule in key states.
15. What famous piece of legislation bears Robert A. Taft's name?
(a) The Taft Welfare Act.
(b) The Taft Education Manifesto.
(c) The Taft Health Plan.
(d) The Taft-Hartley Act.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to the Civil War, what notable action did Lamar undertake with Jefferson Davis?
2. What book did Lamar later say was the first one ever put into his hands to read?
3. What were Norris' opening words at the public meeting in Nebraska after the filibuster?
4. What method did Sen. Norris use to prevent the passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
5. Why was it so surprising to the Radical Republicans that Ross would not announce his vote before the trial began?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)