|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who made the statement that when he had made up his mind it was not in the power of man to divert him?
(a) John C. Calhoun.
(b) Lucius Lamar.
(c) Andrew Jackson.
(d) Sam Houston.
2. What memorable line did the Toledo BLADE print about Taft after he decried the Nuremberg trials?
(a) He has a wonderful mind that knows practically everything and understands practically nothing.
(b) This is not the time to weaken the punishment of international crimes.
(c) That Taft wanted to let loose on the world a terrible gang of cutthroats.
(d) He has no feeling about the soup kitchens of 1932 but supports Nazi criminals.
3. What opinion did Taft share with Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas?
(a) That the Axis war crimes trials went against every principle of American justice.
(b) That the Axis prisoners should not be allowed representation by lawyers.
(c) That the Axis war crimes trials did not try the real offenders.
(d) That the Constitution of the USA allowed for ex post facto prosecutions.
4. What famous piece of legislation bears Robert A. Taft's name?
(a) The Taft Education Manifesto.
(b) The Taft Health Plan.
(c) The Taft Welfare Act.
(d) The Taft-Hartley Act.
5. What was leaked to the newspapers that did away with American public resistance to the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) The sinking of the Titanic.
(b) The Zimmerman note.
(c) The Kaiser's war zone warning.
(d) The Mexican conspiracy.
6. What were the circumstances that brought Edmund G. Ross to Congress as Senator from Kansas?
(a) The resignation of Senator Lane who was a reconstructionist.
(b) The suicide of his predecessor, Senator Jim Lane.
(c) A landslide vote of the Kansas people.
(d) He was sent after a recall of Senator Lane.
7. Why was Norris' candidate for President unpopular in 1928?
(a) He was a Radical.
(b) He wore a moustache.
(c) He was a Catholic.
(d) He was a Socialist.
8. How had President Johnson come to power?
(a) He succeeded Lincoln after the assassination.
(b) He was popularly elected President by the people.
(c) He was appointed by Congress.
(d) He had President Lincoln assassinated.
9. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
(a) My vote was unimportant in a Senate populated with Radical Republicans and Democrats.
(b) I believe that statesmanship is dead in the South.
(c) The directions for how I should vote arrived after the vote had already been taken.
(d) If I had voted for it as directed I should have cast my first vote against my conscience.
10. What was Johnson's purpose as President that caused him problems with the Radical Republicans?
(a) His purpose was to see that the Southern States were severely punished.
(b) His purpose was to carry out Lincoln's reconstruction plans.
(c) His purpose was to get re-elected President for a full term.
(d) His purpose was to establish a political stronghold for himself.
11. What did Robert A. Taft have in common with John Quincey Adams?
(a) They both went to the same university.
(b) They both went on to serve on the Supreme Court.
(c) Both of their fathers had served as President of the USA.
(d) They were both Quakers.
12. Who was the Senator from Nebraska who opposed President Woodrow Wilson's Armed Ship Bill?
(a) Rutherford Hayes.
(b) James W. Grimes.
(c) Lucius Lamar.
(d) George W. Norris.
13. What Senator had to be carried into the Senate to cast his vote on Johnson's impeachment?
(a) William Pitt Fessenden.
(b) Joseph Smith Fowler.
(c) John B. Henderson.
(d) James W. Grimes.
14. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
(b) Vachal Lindsay.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
15. Why did George Norris believe Big Business was urging the country into war?
(a) Because he feared the munitions profits was what was steamrolling the country into war.
(b) Because American business wanted to supply munitions to the Kaiser.
(c) Because the country was actually run by a few big businessmen.
(d) Because Big Business supported Wilson only when he tried to stay neutral.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Radical Republicans happy to see Edmund G. Ross come to the Senate?
2. What characteristic of Sen. Taft did Kennedy suggest might best be judged after many years?
3. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
4. Which senator saved himself from dunking by giving a speech beside the river?
5. Taft supported education, health, housing, and other welfare programs against his normal conservative Republicanism. Why?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)