|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Jay Treaty and why did President Washington support it?
(a) It was a treaty to buy arms and munitions only from the British.
(b) It was a treaty removing all taxes from British imports supported by Washington to protect the rich.
(c) It was a treaty giving land west of the Mississippi to the British.
(d) It was a treaty with Great Britain that President Washington supported to keep the young country from going to war.
2. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
(a) Amiability and aimlessness.
(b) Envy and averace.
(c) Stubbornness and greed.
(d) Tact and humor.
3. How was Lamar similar to author Joel Harris?
(a) Lamar, like Harris, told tales about the South.
(b) Lamar had a pet named Br'er Rabbit.
(c) Lamar wrote a book called Tunes of the South.
(d) Lamar, like Harris, was a graduate of Oxford.
4. Which bitter rival of Sen. Robert A. Taft actually ended up in the White House?
(a) Dwight D. Eisenhaur.
(b) Thomas E. Dewey.
(c) Richard Nixon.
(d) Harry S. Truman.
5. After Lamar toured Mississippi to discuss his reasons for voting the way he did, how did the people react?
(a) They held rallies against him.
(b) They recalled him from Congress.
(c) They changed their opposition to Lamar and supported him.
(d) No one came out to hear the traitor.
6. What does Kennedy suggest is the number of courageous Senators who have put their political lives on the line in order to speak honestly?
(a) He wrote down a list of over fifty.
(b) There are too many to name.
(c) The ones in his book are the only ones.
(d) He said every Senator has that kind of honesty.
7. Which candidate did Norris support in the 1928 Presidential election?
(a) Al Sharpton.
(b) Al Gore.
(c) Al Newman.
(d) Al Smith.
8. Who was the butcher of New Orleans who was the chief prosecutor in Johnson's impeachment trial?
(a) Gen. Benjamin F. Butler.
(b) Gen William Tecumseh Sherman.
(c) Gen. Ulysses S. Grant.
(d) Gen. Robert E. Lee.
9. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
(a) Standing by his Secretary of the Interior against opposition from Pinchot and Roosevelt.
(b) Forecasting that America would go to war with Germany and Japan.
(c) Pushing for more and more farm subsidies.
(d) Denouncing Woodrow Wilson for his mishandling of WWI.
10. What were Norris' opening words at the public meeting in Nebraska after the filibuster?
(a) Thank you for not hissing.
(b) Four score and twenty years ago.
(c) I am not a traitor.
(d) I have come home to tell you the truth.
11. Taft's words on freedom of thought, freedom from orthodox dogma, and the right to think for oneself are his definition of what?
12. How did Taft's candor cause him to lose his party's nomination for President?
(a) People thought you could not trust a man like that.
(b) His candor caused him to be overly tactful.
(c) His answers were always truthful and very often blunt.
(d) He did not always say exactly what he meant.
13. What Senator had to be carried into the Senate to cast his vote on Johnson's impeachment?
(a) John B. Henderson.
(b) William Pitt Fessenden.
(c) Joseph Smith Fowler.
(d) James W. Grimes.
14. Why did George Norris believe Big Business was urging the country into war?
(a) Because the country was actually run by a few big businessmen.
(b) Because he feared the munitions profits was what was steamrolling the country into war.
(c) Because Big Business supported Wilson only when he tried to stay neutral.
(d) Because American business wanted to supply munitions to the Kaiser.
15. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Vachal Lindsay.
(c) Edgar Allen Poe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what law was President Andrew Johnson tried in the Congress?
2. Which courageous Senator refused to support the expunging of some of Jackson's military activities?
3. What disease cut short Lamar's military career?
4. Who made the statement that when he had made up his mind it was not in the power of man to divert him?
5. What opinion did Taft share with Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)