|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What earned Houston the name of traitor and pro-Abolitionist?
(a) His friendship with Senator Calhoun.
(b) His vote against the Kansas-Nebraska Bill.
(c) His support of President Lincoln.
(d) His vote against the Missouri compromise.
2. Why did Houston define himself as an old fogy?
(a) Because, he said, I have been around far too long and need to retire.
(b) Because, he said, he had been made a martyr for Texas.
(c) Because, he said, I don't always practice what I preach.
(d) Because, he said, I cling devotedly to the principles upon which our government was founded.
3. What position did Lamar take after the Civil War?
(a) The way to end the South's suffering was compromise and reconciliation with the North.
(b) That people should save their confederate money.
(c) That laws needed to be enacted to punish carpetbaggers.
(d) That those who supported the Union should be tried as war criminals.
4. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
(a) His superior attitude toward other politician.
(b) His uncompromising religion.
(c) His ability to manipulate his father.
(d) His willingness to change positions when expedient.
5. What does Kennedy see as Webster's moral flaw?
(a) Webster had no compunction against taking money for political favors.
(b) Webster had many affairs his wife did not know about.
(c) Webster was an alcoholic and often lost track of time.
(d) Webster was a compulsive gambler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Speaker of the House did Norris oppose to the chagrin of his party?
2. What benefit did Norris fight for to aid the people of Tennessee Valley?
3. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
4. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
5. Taft supported education, health, housing, and other welfare programs against his normal conservative Republicanism. Why?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)