|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
(a) Benton is a bull in a china shop.
(b) Benton always knows what is right.
(c) Benton and Democracy are one and the same.
(d) Benton will never compromise.
2. Who was the butcher of New Orleans who was the chief prosecutor in Johnson's impeachment trial?
(a) Gen. Robert E. Lee.
(b) Gen. Ulysses S. Grant.
(c) Gen. Benjamin F. Butler.
(d) Gen William Tecumseh Sherman.
3. What were Norris' opening words at the public meeting in Nebraska after the filibuster?
(a) Four score and twenty years ago.
(b) I have come home to tell you the truth.
(c) Thank you for not hissing.
(d) I am not a traitor.
4. How did Taft's candor cause him to lose his party's nomination for President?
(a) His answers were always truthful and very often blunt.
(b) His candor caused him to be overly tactful.
(c) People thought you could not trust a man like that.
(d) He did not always say exactly what he meant.
5. Who was the first son of a former president to become president of the U.S.?
(a) Thomas Alva Edison.
(b) Geroge Washington Carver.
(c) Andrew Jefferson.
(d) John Quincey Adams.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Lamar toured Mississippi to discuss his reasons for voting the way he did, how did the people react?
2. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
3. What nickname was given to Joe Cannon because of his power?
4. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
5. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)