|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two bills did Houston support that made him unpopular in the South?
(a) The Missouri Compromise of 1820 and the Compromise of 1850.
(b) Calhoun's bills and resolutions on the Oregon question.
(c) The Kansas-Nebraska bill and the articles of confederation.
(d) The repeal of the Missouri Compromise and the bill of rights.
2. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
(a) He did not care about political pressures and did what he thought was right.
(b) He arranged a lot of pork barrel spending in Missouri.
(c) He took young Congressmen under his wing.
(d) He was also very popular among his party members.
3. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
(a) They all lost elections and then won them the next time.
(b) They all served as U. S. Senators.
(c) They were all Republicans.
(d) They were all Democrats.
4. What were Benton's most effective weapons as a fighter?
(a) Knives and bull whips.
(b) Wit and sarcasm.
(c) Friends and relatives.
(d) Guns and canons.
5. How was Lamar similar to author Joel Harris?
(a) Lamar wrote a book called Tunes of the South.
(b) Lamar had a pet named Br'er Rabbit.
(c) Lamar, like Harris, was a graduate of Oxford.
(d) Lamar, like Harris, told tales about the South.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act of inconsistency brought his Missouri constituents to brand him a traitor?
2. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
3. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
4. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
5. How did Ross describe his feelings just before he cast his not guilty vote?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)