|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were the circumstances that brought Edmund G. Ross to Congress as Senator from Kansas?
(a) The resignation of Senator Lane who was a reconstructionist.
(b) A landslide vote of the Kansas people.
(c) The suicide of his predecessor, Senator Jim Lane.
(d) He was sent after a recall of Senator Lane.
2. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
(a) Political differences within the official's own family.
(b) Party pressure to vote the party line.
(c) Presidential arm twisting.
(d) National opinion polls.
3. What does Kennedy suggest prevents a lot of people from acting courageously?
(a) Social and public pressures.
(b) Fear of the unknown.
(c) Not enough education about courage.
(d) Averice and greed.
4. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
(a) Become a Puritan minister.
(b) Uphold the American legal system.
(c) Write great books.
(d) Become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
5. What did the historian Wharton say about Houston's courage as he fought against Texas' secession from the Union?
(a) No one paid any attention as Houston entered the Secessionist Convention.
(b) Houston finally lost his courage and gave in to popular opinion.
(c) He relapsed into alcoholism and went back to the Cherokee.
(d) It took a thousand times more courage than charging up the hill at San Jacinto.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to the Civil War, what notable action did Lamar undertake with Jefferson Davis?
2. What is ironic about Texas secession on March 2?
3. For what conflict does Kennedy feel the most empathy?
4. How did Daniel Webster describe and define himself?
5. What Speaker of the House did Norris oppose to the chagrin of his party?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)