|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Webster's constituents view his stand on compromise with the slave states?
(a) They supported him wholeheartedly.
(b) They thought he should run for President.
(c) It drew their wrath.
(d) They were proud of their native son.
2. What is the irony of Houston's defending the Northerner's rights to abolition?
(a) Houston was a slave to the Cherokee.
(b) Houston owned slaves himself.
(c) Houston disliked all Yankees.
(d) Houston opposed slavery except in the South.
3. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
4. Where did Houston deliver his acceptance speech after being elected Governor as an independent?
(a) In San Antonio, Texas.
(b) On the steps of the Capitol building.
(c) At San Jacinto.
(d) In Houston, Texas.
5. What opinion did Taft share with Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas?
(a) That the Axis war crimes trials did not try the real offenders.
(b) That the Axis war crimes trials went against every principle of American justice.
(c) That the Constitution of the USA allowed for ex post facto prosecutions.
(d) That the Axis prisoners should not be allowed representation by lawyers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
2. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
3. How many tickets were printed up for seats during the Johnson Impeachment Trial?
4. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
5. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)