|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was rumored to be the cause of Houston's breakdown and resigning as Governor of Tennessee?
(a) General Andrew Jackson called him for an important secret mission.
(b) He started drinking heavily and could not perform his duties.
(c) People were pressuring him to run for President of the Union but he did not want to.
(d) He discovered that his young bride had been forced to marry him even though she loved another.
2. To whom was Ross compared in a Kansas newspaper editorial?
(a) Judas Escariot
(b) Marc Anthony
(c) Thomas Payne.
(d) Benedict Arnold.
3. How did Lamar view the free silver movement of 1877?
(a) He saw it as creating easy inflationary money.
(b) He was too ill to pay it much attention.
(c) He saw it as a depletion of the nation's silver.
(d) He supported it to help save Mississippi.
4. What is a constant that an elected official must understand?
(a) The media will not report anything the elected official does not want made public.
(b) That once elected, the official is no longer responsible to the constituency.
(c) He or she is under scrutiny by the constituency.
(d) He or she will never hear from the constituency until election day.
5. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
(a) The Seventh of March speech.
(b) The Christmas Day speech.
(c) The Independence Day speech.
(d) The First of January speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lamar able to convince President Hayes to do?
2. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
3. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
4. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
5. When Houston ran away from home in his childhood, where did he go?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)