|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
(a) If I had voted for it as directed I should have cast my first vote against my conscience.
(b) I believe that statesmanship is dead in the South.
(c) My vote was unimportant in a Senate populated with Radical Republicans and Democrats.
(d) The directions for how I should vote arrived after the vote had already been taken.
2. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
(a) Senator Aaron Burr.
(b) Senator Martin VanBuren.
(c) Senator William Cooper.
(d) Senator Henry Foote.
3. Where did Houston deliver his acceptance speech after being elected Governor as an independent?
(a) On the steps of the Capitol building.
(b) In Houston, Texas.
(c) At San Jacinto.
(d) In San Antonio, Texas.
4. What was rumored to be the cause of Houston's breakdown and resigning as Governor of Tennessee?
(a) People were pressuring him to run for President of the Union but he did not want to.
(b) He discovered that his young bride had been forced to marry him even though she loved another.
(c) General Andrew Jackson called him for an important secret mission.
(d) He started drinking heavily and could not perform his duties.
5. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
(a) Walking in the difficult landscape of being elected by constituents.
(b) Not being able to care about doing a good job.
(c) Walking on the moon.
(d) Being alone in the desert.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
2. What is the irony of Houston's defending the Northerner's rights to abolition?
3. Why were the Radical Republicans happy to see Edmund G. Ross come to the Senate?
4. Of the 54 Senator in Congress, how many were openly opposed to the impeachment?
5. Why did Taft speak out against the War Crimes Trials and the Nuremberg Trials?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)