|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
(a) He viewed it as a short-term compromise.
(b) He thought it would give him power to run for President.
(c) He believed that compromise would eventually lead to abolition.
(d) He wanted to bring the prospect of Civil War to a head.
2. How did journalist William Preston Johnson describe the intellectual atmosphere of the Lamar family?
(a) There was a black thread of moodiness in all the family.
(b) The Lamars had amassed a huge library.
(c) They were self taught but not uneducated.
(d) The fatal dowry of genius was upon the house.
3. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
(a) Denouncing Woodrow Wilson for his mishandling of WWI.
(b) Standing by his Secretary of the Interior against opposition from Pinchot and Roosevelt.
(c) Forecasting that America would go to war with Germany and Japan.
(d) Pushing for more and more farm subsidies.
4. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
(a) He shared the gifts with other Senators and Congressmen.
(b) He considered them gifts from God and from voters or constituents who Webster believed were created in God's image.
(c) He used everything he collected for his favorite charities.
(d) He published his gifts in the newspaper.
5. What is the irony of Houston's defending the Northerner's rights to abolition?
(a) Houston owned slaves himself.
(b) Houston opposed slavery except in the South.
(c) Houston disliked all Yankees.
(d) Houston was a slave to the Cherokee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of Sen. Taft did Kennedy suggest might best be judged after many years?
2. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
3. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
4. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
5. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)