|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kennedy identify as the personal tragedy and national greatness about Sen. Robert A. Taft?
(a) That he got his party's nomination three times but never won a Presidential election.
(b) That he aspired to be President but his uncompromising sense of right prevented that from happening.
(c) That his father had been President but he had no such ambitions.
(d) That he would always speak out in such a way that appeared to compromise his beliefs.
2. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
(a) He said he paid his taxes regularly.
(b) He said he had authorized the funds to build that courthouse.
(c) He said he had watered Texas soil with his blood.
(d) He said he was the greatest general Texas ever had.
3. What act of inconsistency brought his Missouri constituents to brand him a traitor?
(a) His opposition to annexting Texas.
(b) His willingness to allow the country to go to war.
(c) His opposition to the Missouri Compromise.
(d) His voting with the Republicans.
4. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
(a) They feared he would challenge them to a duel.
(b) They thought people would think they were picking on Benton.
(c) They feared he would blow up the capitol building.
(d) They never knew what he might do next.
5. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
(a) Forecasting that America would go to war with Germany and Japan.
(b) Pushing for more and more farm subsidies.
(c) Standing by his Secretary of the Interior against opposition from Pinchot and Roosevelt.
(d) Denouncing Woodrow Wilson for his mishandling of WWI.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
2. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
3. What well-known military leader had Houston served under?
4. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
5. What opinion did Taft share with Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)