|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Vachal Lindsay.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
2. What method did Sen. Norris use to prevent the passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) A Petition.
(c) Buried in committee.
(d) Collecting enough votes to defveat it.
3. Under what law was President Andrew Johnson tried in the Congress?
(a) The Civilian Code.
(b) The Bill of Rights.
(c) The Articles of Confederation.
(d) The Articles of Impeachment.
4. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
(a) Adams was not religious but his son, John Quincey, was a devout Puritan.
(b) Adams had raised his son to do what he believed to be right and that meant opposing his father.
(c) Adams raised his son to always do as his father did regardless of what he thought personally.
(d) Adams was a stern father but a political liberal.
5. How was Benton's behavior different when he was with his family from when he was involved in politics?
(a) He held his family by fear.
(b) He hid his wife's mental illness from the public.
(c) He was always warm and gentle around his family.
(d) He was easy on political opponents and harsh on his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was it considered a contradiction when Houston supported temperance?
2. Where did Houston deliver his acceptance speech after being elected Governor as an independent?
3. Why did George Norris believe Big Business was urging the country into war?
4. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
5. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)