|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
(a) His hate and retribution against his enemies.
(b) Adams secret life of debauchery.
(c) Times of disappointment and hurt at loss of popularity.
(d) Lapses in his Puritanical beliefs.
2. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
(a) Making decisions when to satisfy a constituancy will not be what is best for the nation.
(b) Making decisions when you do not have enough information to make good ones.
(c) Making decisions when a fellow Senator or Congressman needs to get a pet project going.
(d) Making decisions that will satisfy everyone in one way or another.
3. What was Lamar able to convince President Hayes to do?
(a) Apologize to the South for certain military actions during the war.
(b) Withdraw occupation troops and restore Home Rule in key states.
(c) Appoint Southerners to key positions in his cabinet.
(d) Give Tilden a much sought after ambassadorship.
4. What was Lamar's involvement in the controversial Hayes-Tilden presidential election?
(a) He voted against the Democrats and supported Hayes.
(b) He supported an election commission that eventually gave Hayes the Presidency.
(c) He made stump speeches for Hayes.
(d) He refused to fight the election results.
5. After Lamar toured Mississippi to discuss his reasons for voting the way he did, how did the people react?
(a) No one came out to hear the traitor.
(b) They held rallies against him.
(c) They recalled him from Congress.
(d) They changed their opposition to Lamar and supported him.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom was Ross compared in a Kansas newspaper editorial?
2. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
3. Who was the butcher of New Orleans who was the chief prosecutor in Johnson's impeachment trial?
4. Where did Houston deliver his acceptance speech after being elected Governor as an independent?
5. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)