|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What unwanted praise did Norris and his group receive after the filibuster?
(a) Praise from the French who also opposed the war.
(b) Praise from the German press.
(c) Praise from Lenin in Russia.
(d) Praise from the Mexican government.
2. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
(a) Webster appointed his relatives to Senate jobs.
(b) Webster lied under oath in a Senate hearing.
(c) Businesses who benefited from his help paid off his debts so he could remain in the senate.
(d) Webster was offered a bfribe which he nearly accepted.
3. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
(a) A thousand miles north of the Mason Dixon Line.
(b) Right in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
(c) 50 fathoms deep into the middle of hell fire.
(d) Out of politics altogether.
4. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
(a) His parents and God.
(b) His religious congregational members.
(c) His college friends and professors.
(d) His wife and his mistress.
5. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
(a) He had a sniper actually shoot the opponent.
(b) He killed a U. S. District Attorney.
(c) He rigged the other pistol so it wouldn't fire.
(d) He threw down his gun and beat the man with his fists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
2. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
3. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
4. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
5. What Senator had to be carried into the Senate to cast his vote on Johnson's impeachment?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)