|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
(a) Envy and averace.
(b) Amiability and aimlessness.
(c) Stubbornness and greed.
(d) Tact and humor.
2. After Lamar toured Mississippi to discuss his reasons for voting the way he did, how did the people react?
(a) No one came out to hear the traitor.
(b) They recalled him from Congress.
(c) They changed their opposition to Lamar and supported him.
(d) They held rallies against him.
3. What was Johnson's purpose as President that caused him problems with the Radical Republicans?
(a) His purpose was to carry out Lincoln's reconstruction plans.
(b) His purpose was to see that the Southern States were severely punished.
(c) His purpose was to get re-elected President for a full term.
(d) His purpose was to establish a political stronghold for himself.
4. How did Norris attack Joe Cannon's power?
(a) Press conferences informing the public of Cannon's abuse of power.
(b) Filibusters on every issue that Cannon favored.
(c) A resolution requiring the entire House to study and amend a resolution, rather than just allow the Speaker to appoint a committee.
(d) Impeachment threats against the Speaker of the House.
5. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
(a) Times of disappointment and hurt at loss of popularity.
(b) Adams secret life of debauchery.
(c) Lapses in his Puritanical beliefs.
(d) His hate and retribution against his enemies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What made Sam Houston a household word in the United States?
2. What two bills did Houston support that made him unpopular in the South?
3. Why was it considered a contradiction when Houston supported temperance?
4. For what conflict does Kennedy feel the most empathy?
5. Who was the butcher of New Orleans who was the chief prosecutor in Johnson's impeachment trial?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)