|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
(a) They all lost elections and then won them the next time.
(b) They were all Republicans.
(c) They all served as U. S. Senators.
(d) They were all Democrats.
2. What book did Lamar later say was the first one ever put into his hands to read?
(a) Franklin's AUTOBIOGRAPHY.
(b) Plato's REPUBLIC.
(c) Plutarch's LIVES.
(d) Joel Harris' SONG OF THE SOUTH.
3. What did the historian Wharton say about Houston's courage as he fought against Texas' secession from the Union?
(a) He relapsed into alcoholism and went back to the Cherokee.
(b) It took a thousand times more courage than charging up the hill at San Jacinto.
(c) No one paid any attention as Houston entered the Secessionist Convention.
(d) Houston finally lost his courage and gave in to popular opinion.
4. Besides appearing to be disloyal to his father when he aligned himself with Jefferson's politics, what other problem arose for John Quincey Adams?
(a) Disillusionment of his party when he broke with them and voted with Jefferson.
(b) He was forced to change political parties and lose his seniority.
(c) He lost his political influence for many months.
(d) His mother becaue distraught that her son and husband did not agree.
5. What is the irony of Houston's defending the Northerner's rights to abolition?
(a) Houston was a slave to the Cherokee.
(b) Houston owned slaves himself.
(c) Houston disliked all Yankees.
(d) Houston opposed slavery except in the South.
Short Answer Questions
1. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
2. What Senator had to be carried into the Senate to cast his vote on Johnson's impeachment?
3. Which candidate did Norris support in the 1928 Presidential election?
4. What was Ross' military experience?
5. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)