|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
(a) They were all Republicans.
(b) They were all Democrats.
(c) They all lost elections and then won them the next time.
(d) They all served as U. S. Senators.
2. What benefit did Norris fight for to aid the people of Tennessee Valley?
(a) Better roads and highways.
(b) Tax relief for the poor.
(c) Low cost electricity.
(d) Coal mining concessions.
3. What did the historian Wharton say about Houston's courage as he fought against Texas' secession from the Union?
(a) It took a thousand times more courage than charging up the hill at San Jacinto.
(b) Houston finally lost his courage and gave in to popular opinion.
(c) No one paid any attention as Houston entered the Secessionist Convention.
(d) He relapsed into alcoholism and went back to the Cherokee.
4. Of the 54 Senator in Congress, how many were openly opposed to the impeachment?
(a) Thirty-six radical Republicans.
(b) Six Republicans and twelve Democrats.
(c) About half of the Republicans and all of the Democrats.
(d) Only the twelve Democrats in the Senate.
5. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
(a) If I had voted for it as directed I should have cast my first vote against my conscience.
(b) The directions for how I should vote arrived after the vote had already been taken.
(c) My vote was unimportant in a Senate populated with Radical Republicans and Democrats.
(d) I believe that statesmanship is dead in the South.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Daniel Webster describe and define himself?
2. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
3. How was Lamar similar to author Joel Harris?
4. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
5. What well-known military leader had Houston served under?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)