|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lamar able to convince President Hayes to do?
(a) Appoint Southerners to key positions in his cabinet.
(b) Withdraw occupation troops and restore Home Rule in key states.
(c) Give Tilden a much sought after ambassadorship.
(d) Apologize to the South for certain military actions during the war.
2. What were the results of Norris' opposition of President Wilson on the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) He was recalled by Nebraska.
(b) He was taken off all Senate committees.
(c) He was vilified for acting against the President.
(d) He resigned his seat in the Senate.
3. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) Media bias one way or the other.
(b) Self interest that only looks like courage.
(c) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
(d) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
4. What method did Sen. Norris use to prevent the passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) Collecting enough votes to defveat it.
(b) A Petition.
(c) Buried in committee.
5. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
(a) Lapses in his Puritanical beliefs.
(b) Times of disappointment and hurt at loss of popularity.
(c) His hate and retribution against his enemies.
(d) Adams secret life of debauchery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lamar's involvement in the controversial Hayes-Tilden presidential election?
2. What two bills did Houston support that made him unpopular in the South?
3. What Speaker of the House did Norris oppose to the chagrin of his party?
4. When Houston ran away from home in his childhood, where did he go?
5. What advantage do minority special interest groups have to influence elected officials?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)