|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What earned Houston the name of traitor and pro-Abolitionist?
(a) His support of President Lincoln.
(b) His vote against the Missouri compromise.
(c) His friendship with Senator Calhoun.
(d) His vote against the Kansas-Nebraska Bill.
2. Why did Houston define himself as an old fogy?
(a) Because, he said, I cling devotedly to the principles upon which our government was founded.
(b) Because, he said, I have been around far too long and need to retire.
(c) Because, he said, I don't always practice what I preach.
(d) Because, he said, he had been made a martyr for Texas.
3. What was Lamar able to convince President Hayes to do?
(a) Apologize to the South for certain military actions during the war.
(b) Withdraw occupation troops and restore Home Rule in key states.
(c) Appoint Southerners to key positions in his cabinet.
(d) Give Tilden a much sought after ambassadorship.
4. What metaphor does Kennedy use to describe the relationship between the elected official and the electorate?
(a) A doctor-patient relationship.
(b) A father-child relationship.
(c) A lawyer-client relationship.
(d) A coach-team relationship.
5. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
(a) He said he had watered Texas soil with his blood.
(b) He said he had authorized the funds to build that courthouse.
(c) He said he was the greatest general Texas ever had.
(d) He said he paid his taxes regularly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
2. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
3. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
4. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
5. What was Johnson's purpose as President that caused him problems with the Radical Republicans?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)