|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
(a) Become a Puritan minister.
(b) Write great books.
(c) Become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
(d) Uphold the American legal system.
2. Why was it considered a contradiction when Houston supported temperance?
(a) His political supporters opposed temperance.
(b) He made his money in rum running.
(c) He was a heavy drinker.
(d) He owned a brewery.
3. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
(a) Businesses who benefited from his help paid off his debts so he could remain in the senate.
(b) Webster lied under oath in a Senate hearing.
(c) Webster appointed his relatives to Senate jobs.
(d) Webster was offered a bfribe which he nearly accepted.
4. After Houston's removal from the Senate, what office did he run for and win as an independent?
(a) House of Representatives.
(b) Attorney General of Texas.
(c) Senator from Tennessee.
(d) Governor of Texas.
5. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
(b) Vachal Lindsay.
(c) Walt Whitman.
(d) Edgar Allen Poe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the irony of Norris' using the filibuster to fight passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
2. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
3. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
4. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
5. When Houston ran away from home in his childhood, where did he go?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)