|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What benefit did Norris fight for to aid the people of Tennessee Valley?
(a) Low cost electricity.
(b) Coal mining concessions.
(c) Tax relief for the poor.
(d) Better roads and highways.
2. What was Lamar's main purpose in his political actions?
(a) To transfer his allegience to the Northern Democrats.
(b) To become President of the United States.
(c) To bring the South peacefully back into the Union.
(d) To rekindle the anamosity between North and South.
3. What were the circumstances that brought Edmund G. Ross to Congress as Senator from Kansas?
(a) He was sent after a recall of Senator Lane.
(b) A landslide vote of the Kansas people.
(c) The resignation of Senator Lane who was a reconstructionist.
(d) The suicide of his predecessor, Senator Jim Lane.
4. What does Kennedy suggest prevents a lot of people from acting courageously?
(a) Averice and greed.
(b) Social and public pressures.
(c) Not enough education about courage.
(d) Fear of the unknown.
5. What did the historian Wharton say about Houston's courage as he fought against Texas' secession from the Union?
(a) He relapsed into alcoholism and went back to the Cherokee.
(b) Houston finally lost his courage and gave in to popular opinion.
(c) It took a thousand times more courage than charging up the hill at San Jacinto.
(d) No one paid any attention as Houston entered the Secessionist Convention.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did George Norris believe Big Business was urging the country into war?
2. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
3. Why did the six Republicans say they would not vote to convict President Johnson?
4. In addition to being the first Senator from Missouri, what other first did Benton achieve?
5. How was Lamar similar to author Joel Harris?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)