|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Sam Houston a household word in the United States?
(a) He ran for president in 1856 but did not win the Democratic nomination.
(b) He was a greater orator than Daniel Webster.
(c) He became known for the Houston knife he invented.
(d) He was leader of the Texas forces that defeated Mexico at the battle of San Jacinto.
2. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
(a) Being alone in the desert.
(b) Walking in the difficult landscape of being elected by constituents.
(c) Not being able to care about doing a good job.
(d) Walking on the moon.
3. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
(a) Benton had too many duels.
(b) The Missouri voters felt allied to the South but Benton supported the Union.
(c) The Missouri voters became ashamed of Benton's rough behavior.
(d) Benton refused to own slaves.
4. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
(a) They were all Republicans.
(b) They were all Democrats.
(c) They all served as U. S. Senators.
(d) They all lost elections and then won them the next time.
5. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
(a) Webster lied under oath in a Senate hearing.
(b) Webster appointed his relatives to Senate jobs.
(c) Businesses who benefited from his help paid off his debts so he could remain in the senate.
(d) Webster was offered a bfribe which he nearly accepted.
Short Answer Questions
1. What action by Texas brought about the end of Houston's career?
2. What was rumored to be the cause of Houston's breakdown and resigning as Governor of Tennessee?
3. How was Lamar similar to author Joel Harris?
4. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
5. What method did Sen. Norris use to prevent the passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
This section contains 500 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)