|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
(a) He was a descendent of a slave.
(b) He opposed abolition.
(c) He refused to go against his own party.
(d) He owned slaves himself.
2. How did Lucius Lamar first run for Congress?
(a) As a Radical Republican.
(b) As a secessionist.
(c) As an independent.
(d) As a pro-Unionist.
3. Why were the Radical Republicans happy to see Edmund G. Ross come to the Senate?
(a) He had spoken out for Lincoln's reconstruction ideas.
(b) He was a moderate who opposed slave states but owned slaves himself.
(c) He was inexperienced in politics and the Senators could control him.
(d) He was adamantly against slavery and had worked hard for abolition.
4. How did Webster's constituents view his stand on compromise with the slave states?
(a) It drew their wrath.
(b) They were proud of their native son.
(c) They thought he should run for President.
(d) They supported him wholeheartedly.
5. What earned Houston the name of traitor and pro-Abolitionist?
(a) His support of President Lincoln.
(b) His friendship with Senator Calhoun.
(c) His vote against the Missouri compromise.
(d) His vote against the Kansas-Nebraska Bill.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many tickets were printed up for seats during the Johnson Impeachment Trial?
2. How did Ross describe his feelings just before he cast his not guilty vote?
3. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
4. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
5. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)