|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the irony of Houston's defending the Northerner's rights to abolition?
(a) Houston opposed slavery except in the South.
(b) Houston owned slaves himself.
(c) Houston disliked all Yankees.
(d) Houston was a slave to the Cherokee.
2. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
(a) The Great Compromise of 1850.
(b) Clay's bid for re-election.
(c) Re-writing the Bill of Rights to include slavery.
(d) Speaches warning about Abraham Lincoln's political ambitions.
3. Of the 54 Senator in Congress, how many were openly opposed to the impeachment?
(a) Only the twelve Democrats in the Senate.
(b) About half of the Republicans and all of the Democrats.
(c) Six Republicans and twelve Democrats.
(d) Thirty-six radical Republicans.
4. What position did Lamar take after the Civil War?
(a) That those who supported the Union should be tried as war criminals.
(b) The way to end the South's suffering was compromise and reconciliation with the North.
(c) That people should save their confederate money.
(d) That laws needed to be enacted to punish carpetbaggers.
5. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
(a) Benton is a bull in a china shop.
(b) Benton will never compromise.
(c) Benton and Democracy are one and the same.
(d) Benton always knows what is right.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the irony of Norris' using the filibuster to fight passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
2. What is a particular problem on occasion when the electorate presents a desire to the elected official?
3. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
4. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
5. What was Johnson's purpose as President that caused him problems with the Radical Republicans?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)