|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In addition to being the first Senator from Missouri, what other first did Benton achieve?
(a) First politician to support Martin Van Buren.
(b) First politician to have a duel.
(c) First Senator to change political parties.
(d) First Senator to serve 30 years in the Senate.
2. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
(b) New York.
3. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
(a) Being alone in the desert.
(b) Walking in the difficult landscape of being elected by constituents.
(c) Walking on the moon.
(d) Not being able to care about doing a good job.
4. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
(a) He refused to argue against salvery when he went to the Southern states.
(b) He did not feel that being a part of a Union that allowed slavery in some territories a viable alternative.
(c) He would not address the subject of slavery because he though it would just go away.
(d) He was a strong supporter of the Union and believed compromise on slavery was more important than breaking up the nation.
5. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
(a) They feared he would challenge them to a duel.
(b) They thought people would think they were picking on Benton.
(c) They feared he would blow up the capitol building.
(d) They never knew what he might do next.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
2. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
3. What is the example of some advice Kennedy received when he first became a Congressman?
4. What was the Armed Ship Bill?
5. How was Lamar similar to author Joel Harris?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)