|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous speech did Lamar give in Congress?
(a) Give me liberty of give me death speech.
(b) The case for Confederacy speech.
(c) An eloquent eulogy for Charles Sumner.
(d) The Stars and Stripes speech.
2. Why was it so surprising to the Radical Republicans that Ross would not announce his vote before the trial began?
(a) Because he was from Kansas, they thought he would not vote against his constituents.
(b) Roos' history was one of anti-slavery and against the southern states.
(c) He had been anti-Johnson for many years.
(d) The senior Senator from Kansas was for convicting Johnson.
3. What was the irony of Norris' using the filibuster to fight passage of the Armed Ship Bill?
(a) Norris had actually tried to do away with the filibuster in an attempt to bring change to the Senate.
(b) Because Norris was unable to speak for long periods of time.
(c) Because Norris had said he would not filibuster the President's bills.
(d) Because the filibuster was something new that had never been tried before.
4. What made Sam Houston a household word in the United States?
(a) He became known for the Houston knife he invented.
(b) He ran for president in 1856 but did not win the Democratic nomination.
(c) He was leader of the Texas forces that defeated Mexico at the battle of San Jacinto.
(d) He was a greater orator than Daniel Webster.
5. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
(a) His sense of humor.
(b) His political favors.
(c) His humble nature.
(d) His fearlessness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What benefit did Norris fight for to aid the people of Tennessee Valley?
2. What was Lamar's involvement in the controversial Hayes-Tilden presidential election?
3. What was leaked to the newspapers that did away with American public resistance to the Armed Ship Bill?
4. Which candidate did Norris support in the 1928 Presidential election?
5. What were the results of Norris' opposition of President Wilson on the Armed Ship Bill?
This section contains 406 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)