|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ironic about Texas secession on March 2?
(a) It was Houston's brithday.
(b) It was the anniversary of Houston's election to the Senate.
(c) It was the day Houston became governor.
(d) It was the anniversary of the battle of San Jacinto.
2. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
(a) He had the ability to disappoint twice as many people than most elected officials.
(b) People rarely took him seriously because of his ability to argue both sides.
(c) Being popular made it difficult for him to compromise.
(d) He was a politician of popular opinion rather than high principles.
3. How did Webster's constituents view his stand on compromise with the slave states?
(a) It drew their wrath.
(b) They were proud of their native son.
(c) They supported him wholeheartedly.
(d) They thought he should run for President.
4. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
(a) It gave the South the idea of secession.
(b) It rallied the North to declare war on the South.
(c) It helped hold off the Civil War for a good ten years.
(d) It made many political allies for Webster.
5. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
(a) His political favors.
(b) His fearlessness.
(c) His humble nature.
(d) His sense of humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was leaked to the newspapers that did away with American public resistance to the Armed Ship Bill?
2. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
3. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
4. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
5. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)