|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many other Republicans lost their careers by standing with Ross against the impeachment of President Johnson?
2. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
(d) Supreme Court Justice.
3. Why was Ross targeted for surveillance and harassment before the Johnson trial.
(a) Stanton thought he could intimidate Ross with his military connections.
(b) Both sides believed he was weak willed.
(c) He was using his secret to gain political notariety.
(d) He kept silent on how he might vote.
4. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
(a) The need to publish a book.
(b) The need to get re-elected.
(c) The need to travel the world.
(d) The need to get more education.
5. Why did the six Republicans say they would not vote to convict President Johnson?
(a) They came from conservative states.
(b) They said some Prepblicans should vote no to make the party look unbiased.
(c) They said the evidence was not sufficient.
(d) They said they didn't need to vote because there was a 36 majority anyway.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname was given to Joe Cannon because of his power?
2. What well-known military leader had Houston served under?
3. What was ironic when the Matthews Resolution came up for a vote in the Senate?
4. What was Johnson's purpose as President that caused him problems with the Radical Republicans?
5. What was Lamar able to convince President Hayes to do?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)