|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
(a) Webster changed his position of slavery to agree with Clay.
(b) Webster would have become president but he died 2 years later.
(c) Webster was honored by his constituents as a man of courage.
(d) Webster sacrificed his potential presidential run and his popularity.
2. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
(a) He viewed it as a short-term compromise.
(b) He wanted to bring the prospect of Civil War to a head.
(c) He believed that compromise would eventually lead to abolition.
(d) He thought it would give him power to run for President.
3. What two bills did Houston support that made him unpopular in the South?
(a) The Kansas-Nebraska bill and the articles of confederation.
(b) The Missouri Compromise of 1820 and the Compromise of 1850.
(c) The repeal of the Missouri Compromise and the bill of rights.
(d) Calhoun's bills and resolutions on the Oregon question.
4. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
(a) Businesses who benefited from his help paid off his debts so he could remain in the senate.
(b) Webster lied under oath in a Senate hearing.
(c) Webster appointed his relatives to Senate jobs.
(d) Webster was offered a bfribe which he nearly accepted.
5. For what conflict does Kennedy feel the most empathy?
(a) The conflict of constituency interest versus national interests.
(b) The conflict of special interests versus constituency interests.
(c) The conflict between political parties.
(d) The conflict between Congress and the Supreme Court.
Short Answer Questions
1. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
2. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
3. What earned Houston the name of traitor and pro-Abolitionist?
4. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
5. How did Daniel Webster describe and define himself?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)