|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
(a) A mighty ship in a storm.
(b) The east coast, craggy, rocky, somber and strong.
(c) Kennedy's Catholicism.
(d) A conflict of interests.
2. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
(a) Become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
(b) Write great books.
(c) Become a Puritan minister.
(d) Uphold the American legal system.
3. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
(a) His gold plated sign on his office door.
(b) His silver mines in Missouri.
(c) His greed for money.
(d) His advocacy for hard currency.
4. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
(a) His college friends and professors.
(b) His parents and God.
(c) His wife and his mistress.
(d) His religious congregational members.
5. How did Benton urge support for expansion to the West?
(a) He made a Congressional junket to Oregon.
(b) He voted to give tax breaks to manufacturers of wagons.
(c) He supported communications methods such as the telegraph, the Pony Express and roadways that ran into the country.
(d) He pushed a measure giving extra benefits to leaders of wagon trains.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
2. What metaphor does Kennedy use to describe the relationship between the elected official and the electorate?
3. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
4. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
5. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)