|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(c) Bret Hart.
(d) John Quincy Adams.
2. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
(a) He never married his childhood sweetheart.
(b) He never couold live up to his mother's expectations.
(c) He never traveled abroad.
(d) He never felt he had accomplished enough.
3. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
(a) Benton and Democracy are one and the same.
(b) Benton will never compromise.
(c) Benton always knows what is right.
(d) Benton is a bull in a china shop.
4. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
(a) Times of disappointment and hurt at loss of popularity.
(b) Lapses in his Puritanical beliefs.
(c) His hate and retribution against his enemies.
(d) Adams secret life of debauchery.
5. In spite of John Quincey Adams' clarity and political courage, what life-long need did he have?
(a) The visible justification of God.
(b) The approval of his father and mother.
(c) Unwavering popularity among the people.
(d) A personal fortune so he was not dependent on the voters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the irony of Houston's defending the Northerner's rights to abolition?
2. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
3. How did one reporter categorize elected officials?
4. Why did Houston define himself as an old fogy?
5. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)