|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What action by Texas brought about the end of Houston's career?
(a) Voting to return to its independent state as the Republic of Texas.
(b) Voting to declare war on the North and sending troups and money to the Confederacy.
(c) Secession from the Union and demanding a vow of loyalty to Texas as a member of the Confederacy..
(d) Seceeding from the Confederacy and impeaching Sam Houston.
2. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) John Quincy Adams.
(c) Jesus Christ.
(d) Bret Hart.
3. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
(a) They were all Republicans.
(b) They were all Democrats.
(c) They all lost elections and then won them the next time.
(d) They all served as U. S. Senators.
4. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
(a) The need to be different from other politicians.
(b) The need to raise campaign money.
(c) The need to be well liked.
(d) The need to be right all the time.
5. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
(a) Because of his commitment to the Union.
(b) Because he disliked Sam Houston.
(c) Because Texas was too big.
(d) Because Texas would cost too much money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were Benton's most effective weapons as a fighter?
2. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
3. What is the example of some advice Kennedy received when he first became a Congressman?
4. Why was it considered a contradiction when Houston supported temperance?
5. How did Webster's constituents view his stand on compromise with the slave states?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)