|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
(a) He accepted money and gifts but always did only what he thought was right.
(b) He never let that happen to him.
(c) He felt he was entitled to extra benefits for his service to the Union.
(d) The moral question of accepting money and gifts for Webster was not an issue for him.
2. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
(a) They feared he would challenge them to a duel.
(b) They thought people would think they were picking on Benton.
(c) They feared he would blow up the capitol building.
(d) They never knew what he might do next.
3. Where did Houston say he wanted it written that he loved his country, he was a patriot, and he was devoted to the Union.
(a) In the latest history books.
(b) In the Dallas Herald.
(c) On the face of the Texas capitol building.
(d) On his tombstone.
4. What act of inconsistency brought his Missouri constituents to brand him a traitor?
(a) His opposition to annexting Texas.
(b) His voting with the Republicans.
(c) His willingness to allow the country to go to war.
(d) His opposition to the Missouri Compromise.
5. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
(a) Adams was not religious but his son, John Quincey, was a devout Puritan.
(b) Adams was a stern father but a political liberal.
(c) Adams raised his son to always do as his father did regardless of what he thought personally.
(d) Adams had raised his son to do what he believed to be right and that meant opposing his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what conflict does Kennedy feel the most empathy?
2. How did one reporter categorize elected officials?
3. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
4. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
5. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
This section contains 433 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)