|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were Benton's most effective weapons as a fighter?
(a) Knives and bull whips.
(b) Friends and relatives.
(c) Guns and canons.
(d) Wit and sarcasm.
2. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
(a) As a writer of fiction.
(b) As a particularly eloquent speaker.
(c) As a squeaky voiced speaker.
(d) As a politician who opposed any kind of compromise.
3. Why did Houston define himself as an old fogy?
(a) Because, he said, I cling devotedly to the principles upon which our government was founded.
(b) Because, he said, I have been around far too long and need to retire.
(c) Because, he said, he had been made a martyr for Texas.
(d) Because, he said, I don't always practice what I preach.
4. What is the irony of Houston's defending the Northerner's rights to abolition?
(a) Houston was a slave to the Cherokee.
(b) Houston disliked all Yankees.
(c) Houston owned slaves himself.
(d) Houston opposed slavery except in the South.
5. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
(a) Poor choices for their cabinet members.
(b) Personalities that clased with everyone not of their religion.
(c) An unwillingness to compromise on mundane matters of politics.
(d) Unwillingness to campaign for a second term in office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the historian Wharton say about Houston's courage as he fought against Texas' secession from the Union?
2. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
3. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
4. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
5. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)