|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What earned Houston the name of traitor and pro-Abolitionist?
(a) His support of President Lincoln.
(b) His vote against the Kansas-Nebraska Bill.
(c) His friendship with Senator Calhoun.
(d) His vote against the Missouri compromise.
2. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
(a) Thomas Hart Benton.
(b) Sam Houston.
(c) Henry Calhoun.
(d) Stephen A. Austin.
3. After Houston's removal from the Senate, what office did he run for and win as an independent?
(a) Governor of Texas.
(b) Attorney General of Texas.
(c) House of Representatives.
(d) Senator from Tennessee.
4. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
(a) The Great Compromise of 1850.
(b) Re-writing the Bill of Rights to include slavery.
(c) Clay's bid for re-election.
(d) Speaches warning about Abraham Lincoln's political ambitions.
5. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
(a) His religious congregational members.
(b) His college friends and professors.
(c) His wife and his mistress.
(d) His parents and God.
Short Answer Questions
1. What well-known military leader had Houston served under?
2. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
3. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
4. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
5. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)