|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
(a) Walking on the moon.
(b) Being alone in the desert.
(c) Walking in the difficult landscape of being elected by constituents.
(d) Not being able to care about doing a good job.
2. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
(a) The need to publish a book.
(b) The need to get re-elected.
(c) The need to get more education.
(d) The need to travel the world.
3. What made Sam Houston a household word in the United States?
(a) He was leader of the Texas forces that defeated Mexico at the battle of San Jacinto.
(b) He was a greater orator than Daniel Webster.
(c) He became known for the Houston knife he invented.
(d) He ran for president in 1856 but did not win the Democratic nomination.
4. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
(a) Benjamin Franklin.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Alexander Hamilton.
(d) Thomas Jefferson.
5. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
(a) His college friends and professors.
(b) His parents and God.
(c) His religious congregational members.
(d) His wife and his mistress.
Short Answer Questions
1. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
2. What two bills did Houston support that made him unpopular in the South?
3. Why was it considered a contradiction when Houston supported temperance?
4. After Houston's removal from the Senate, what office did he run for and win as an independent?
5. In spite of John Quincey Adams' clarity and political courage, what life-long need did he have?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)