|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Houston ran away from home in his childhood, where did he go?
(a) To live with the Cherokee.
(b) To Texas.
(c) To his grandfather.
(d) To sea.
2. What was rumored to be the cause of Houston's breakdown and resigning as Governor of Tennessee?
(a) He started drinking heavily and could not perform his duties.
(b) He discovered that his young bride had been forced to marry him even though she loved another.
(c) General Andrew Jackson called him for an important secret mission.
(d) People were pressuring him to run for President of the Union but he did not want to.
3. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
(b) Supreme Court Justice.
4. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
(a) Benton always knows what is right.
(b) Benton will never compromise.
(c) Benton and Democracy are one and the same.
(d) Benton is a bull in a china shop.
5. Where did Houston say he wanted it written that he loved his country, he was a patriot, and he was devoted to the Union.
(a) On his tombstone.
(b) On the face of the Texas capitol building.
(c) In the latest history books.
(d) In the Dallas Herald.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy see as Webster's moral flaw?
2. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
3. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
4. What made Sam Houston a household word in the United States?
5. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)