|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is ironic about Texas secession on March 2?
(a) It was the day Houston became governor.
(b) It was Houston's brithday.
(c) It was the anniversary of Houston's election to the Senate.
(d) It was the anniversary of the battle of San Jacinto.
2. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
(a) He killed a U. S. District Attorney.
(b) He had a sniper actually shoot the opponent.
(c) He threw down his gun and beat the man with his fists.
(d) He rigged the other pistol so it wouldn't fire.
3. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
(a) Webster was honored by his constituents as a man of courage.
(b) Webster changed his position of slavery to agree with Clay.
(c) Webster would have become president but he died 2 years later.
(d) Webster sacrificed his potential presidential run and his popularity.
4. Why was it considered a contradiction when Houston supported temperance?
(a) He made his money in rum running.
(b) He was a heavy drinker.
(c) His political supporters opposed temperance.
(d) He owned a brewery.
5. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
(a) His people.
(b) His family.
(c) His party.
(d) His god.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
2. What advantage do minority special interest groups have to influence elected officials?
3. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
4. How did Benton urge support for expansion to the West?
5. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)