|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
(a) Making decisions when you do not have enough information to make good ones.
(b) Making decisions that will satisfy everyone in one way or another.
(c) Making decisions when a fellow Senator or Congressman needs to get a pet project going.
(d) Making decisions when to satisfy a constituancy will not be what is best for the nation.
2. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
(c) New York.
3. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
(a) Webster sacrificed his potential presidential run and his popularity.
(b) Webster would have become president but he died 2 years later.
(c) Webster changed his position of slavery to agree with Clay.
(d) Webster was honored by his constituents as a man of courage.
4. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
(a) His humble nature.
(b) His sense of humor.
(c) His fearlessness.
(d) His political favors.
5. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
(a) A mighty ship in a storm.
(b) Kennedy's Catholicism.
(c) A conflict of interests.
(d) The east coast, craggy, rocky, somber and strong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What well-known military leader had Houston served under?
2. Besides appearing to be disloyal to his father when he aligned himself with Jefferson's politics, what other problem arose for John Quincey Adams?
3. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
4. What act of inconsistency brought his Missouri constituents to brand him a traitor?
5. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)