|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What well-known military leader had Houston served under?
(a) Andrew Jackson.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Ulysses S. Grant.
(d) Robert E. Lee.
2. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
(a) Lapses in his Puritanical beliefs.
(b) Adams secret life of debauchery.
(c) His hate and retribution against his enemies.
(d) Times of disappointment and hurt at loss of popularity.
3. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
(a) His superior attitude toward other politician.
(b) His ability to manipulate his father.
(c) His uncompromising religion.
(d) His willingness to change positions when expedient.
4. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
(a) As a squeaky voiced speaker.
(b) As a politician who opposed any kind of compromise.
(c) As a writer of fiction.
(d) As a particularly eloquent speaker.
5. After Houston's removal from the Senate, what office did he run for and win as an independent?
(a) Governor of Texas.
(b) House of Representatives.
(c) Attorney General of Texas.
(d) Senator from Tennessee.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy suggest prevents a lot of people from acting courageously?
2. What earned Houston the name of traitor and pro-Abolitionist?
3. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
4. What was rumored to be the cause of Houston's breakdown and resigning as Governor of Tennessee?
5. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)