|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
(a) His political favors.
(b) His humble nature.
(c) His fearlessness.
(d) His sense of humor.
2. Besides the Texas territory which Benton opposed, what other one did he support against his party's stand?
3. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
(a) Ignorance of the Washington politics.
(b) More money than anyone else.
(c) More education than experience.
(d) The confidence of coming from a strong political family.
4. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
(a) Both father and son served three terms in office.
(b) Neither father nor son served a second term in office.
(c) Neither father nor son served out a full term in office.
(d) Both father and son served during wartime.
5. What two bills did Houston support that made him unpopular in the South?
(a) Calhoun's bills and resolutions on the Oregon question.
(b) The Kansas-Nebraska bill and the articles of confederation.
(c) The Missouri Compromise of 1820 and the Compromise of 1850.
(d) The repeal of the Missouri Compromise and the bill of rights.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
2. How did Benton urge support for expansion to the West?
3. What is the example of some advice Kennedy received when he first became a Congressman?
4. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
5. Who was the first son of a former president to become president of the U.S.?
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)