|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
(d) Supreme Court Justice.
2. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
(a) National opinion polls.
(b) Political differences within the official's own family.
(c) Presidential arm twisting.
(d) Party pressure to vote the party line.
3. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
(b) Media bias one way or the other.
(c) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(d) Self interest that only looks like courage.
4. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
5. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
(a) Right in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
(b) 50 fathoms deep into the middle of hell fire.
(c) A thousand miles north of the Mason Dixon Line.
(d) Out of politics altogether.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
2. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
3. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
4. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
5. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
This section contains 357 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)