|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
(a) He wanted to bring the prospect of Civil War to a head.
(b) He thought it would give him power to run for President.
(c) He viewed it as a short-term compromise.
(d) He believed that compromise would eventually lead to abolition.
2. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
(a) His parents and God.
(b) His religious congregational members.
(c) His college friends and professors.
(d) His wife and his mistress.
3. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
(a) Supreme Court Justice.
4. What is a particular problem on occasion when the electorate presents a desire to the elected official?
(a) What they want is not clear to the elected official.
(b) What they want may not in the long run be good for the constituency.
(c) What they want is not fair to fixed income people.
(d) What they want they are not willing to help pay for.
5. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
2. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
3. Who was the first son of a former president to become president of the U.S.?
4. In addition to being the first Senator from Missouri, what other first did Benton achieve?
5. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)