|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
(a) Webster changed his position of slavery to agree with Clay.
(b) Webster would have become president but he died 2 years later.
(c) Webster sacrificed his potential presidential run and his popularity.
(d) Webster was honored by his constituents as a man of courage.
2. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
(a) Senator Henry Foote.
(b) Senator William Cooper.
(c) Senator Aaron Burr.
(d) Senator Martin VanBuren.
3. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
(a) Ernest Hemingway.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(c) John Quincy Adams.
(d) Bret Hart.
4. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
(a) His greed for money.
(b) His silver mines in Missouri.
(c) His gold plated sign on his office door.
(d) His advocacy for hard currency.
5. What act of inconsistency brought his Missouri constituents to brand him a traitor?
(a) His willingness to allow the country to go to war.
(b) His voting with the Republicans.
(c) His opposition to annexting Texas.
(d) His opposition to the Missouri Compromise.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
2. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
3. What was one argument Webster made for compromising on the question of slavery?
4. What does Kennedy suggest prevents a lot of people from acting courageously?
5. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)