|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
(a) He never couold live up to his mother's expectations.
(b) He never felt he had accomplished enough.
(c) He never traveled abroad.
(d) He never married his childhood sweetheart.
2. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
(a) His party.
(b) His family.
(c) His people.
(d) His god.
3. How did Benton urge support for expansion to the West?
(a) He voted to give tax breaks to manufacturers of wagons.
(b) He supported communications methods such as the telegraph, the Pony Express and roadways that ran into the country.
(c) He pushed a measure giving extra benefits to leaders of wagon trains.
(d) He made a Congressional junket to Oregon.
4. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(b) Media bias one way or the other.
(c) Self interest that only looks like courage.
(d) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
5. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
(a) The Great Compromise of 1850.
(b) Speaches warning about Abraham Lincoln's political ambitions.
(c) Clay's bid for re-election.
(d) Re-writing the Bill of Rights to include slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
2. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
3. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
4. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
5. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)