|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
(a) He had a sniper actually shoot the opponent.
(b) He threw down his gun and beat the man with his fists.
(c) He killed a U. S. District Attorney.
(d) He rigged the other pistol so it wouldn't fire.
2. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
(a) Benton is a bull in a china shop.
(b) Benton and Democracy are one and the same.
(c) Benton always knows what is right.
(d) Benton will never compromise.
3. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
(a) Making decisions that will satisfy everyone in one way or another.
(b) Making decisions when to satisfy a constituancy will not be what is best for the nation.
(c) Making decisions when a fellow Senator or Congressman needs to get a pet project going.
(d) Making decisions when you do not have enough information to make good ones.
4. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
(a) The need to be different from other politicians.
(b) The need to be right all the time.
(c) The need to raise campaign money.
(d) The need to be well liked.
5. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
(a) His fearlessness.
(b) His humble nature.
(c) His sense of humor.
(d) His political favors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
2. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
3. What advantage do minority special interest groups have to influence elected officials?
4. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
5. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)