|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
(a) He never let that happen to him.
(b) The moral question of accepting money and gifts for Webster was not an issue for him.
(c) He felt he was entitled to extra benefits for his service to the Union.
(d) He accepted money and gifts but always did only what he thought was right.
2. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
(a) Bret Hart.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) John Quincy Adams.
3. Who was the first son of a former president to become president of the U.S.?
(a) Andrew Jefferson.
(b) John Quincey Adams.
(c) Thomas Alva Edison.
(d) Geroge Washington Carver.
4. What were Benton's most effective weapons as a fighter?
(a) Friends and relatives.
(b) Knives and bull whips.
(c) Wit and sarcasm.
(d) Guns and canons.
5. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
(a) Benton had too many duels.
(b) Benton refused to own slaves.
(c) The Missouri voters became ashamed of Benton's rough behavior.
(d) The Missouri voters felt allied to the South but Benton supported the Union.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
2. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
3. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
4. In PROFILES IN COURAGE, what does John F. Kennedy fear the American public has forgotten?
5. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)