|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
(a) Because he disliked Sam Houston.
(b) Because Texas was too big.
(c) Because Texas would cost too much money.
(d) Because of his commitment to the Union.
2. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
(a) Making decisions when you do not have enough information to make good ones.
(b) Making decisions when to satisfy a constituancy will not be what is best for the nation.
(c) Making decisions when a fellow Senator or Congressman needs to get a pet project going.
(d) Making decisions that will satisfy everyone in one way or another.
3. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
(a) Clay was from the South and Webster was from the North.
(b) Clay had always opposed Webster in the Senate before.
(c) Clay was a republican and Webster was an independent.
(d) Webster had given many speeches opposing Henry Clay.
4. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
(a) Walking in the difficult landscape of being elected by constituents.
(b) Not being able to care about doing a good job.
(c) Walking on the moon.
(d) Being alone in the desert.
5. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
(a) Thomas Jefferson.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Benjamin Franklin.
(d) Alexander Hamilton.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
2. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
3. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
4. Who was the first son of a former president to become president of the U.S.?
5. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)