|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
(a) His political connections.
(b) His outstanding education.
(c) His ability to make friends easily.
(d) His handsomeand commanding appearance.
2. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
(a) Because of his commitment to the Union.
(b) Because he disliked Sam Houston.
(c) Because Texas was too big.
(d) Because Texas would cost too much money.
3. In PROFILES IN COURAGE, what does John F. Kennedy fear the American public has forgotten?
(a) How to tell if a man is honest.
(b) What courage actually is.
(c) Where to look for courage in a politician.
(d) The basic principles our country was founded on.
4. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
(a) He viewed it as a short-term compromise.
(b) He wanted to bring the prospect of Civil War to a head.
(c) He thought it would give him power to run for President.
(d) He believed that compromise would eventually lead to abolition.
5. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
(a) His humble nature.
(b) His political favors.
(c) His fearlessness.
(d) His sense of humor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the first son of a former president to become president of the U.S.?
2. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
3. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
4. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
5. How did Webster's constituents view his stand on compromise with the slave states?
This section contains 383 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)