|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What act of inconsistency brought his Missouri constituents to brand him a traitor?
(a) His voting with the Republicans.
(b) His willingness to allow the country to go to war.
(c) His opposition to the Missouri Compromise.
(d) His opposition to annexting Texas.
2. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
(a) Poor choices for their cabinet members.
(b) Unwillingness to campaign for a second term in office.
(c) Personalities that clased with everyone not of their religion.
(d) An unwillingness to compromise on mundane matters of politics.
3. What does Kennedy see as Webster's moral flaw?
(a) Webster was a compulsive gambler.
(b) Webster was an alcoholic and often lost track of time.
(c) Webster had no compunction against taking money for political favors.
(d) Webster had many affairs his wife did not know about.
4. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
(a) Neither father nor son served a second term in office.
(b) Neither father nor son served out a full term in office.
(c) Both father and son served during wartime.
(d) Both father and son served three terms in office.
5. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
(a) He refused to argue against salvery when he went to the Southern states.
(b) He did not feel that being a part of a Union that allowed slavery in some territories a viable alternative.
(c) He would not address the subject of slavery because he though it would just go away.
(d) He was a strong supporter of the Union and believed compromise on slavery was more important than breaking up the nation.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
2. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
3. How did Webster's constituents view his stand on compromise with the slave states?
4. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
5. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)