|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
(a) He rigged the other pistol so it wouldn't fire.
(b) He had a sniper actually shoot the opponent.
(c) He killed a U. S. District Attorney.
(d) He threw down his gun and beat the man with his fists.
2. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
(a) They all served as U. S. Senators.
(b) They were all Democrats.
(c) They all lost elections and then won them the next time.
(d) They were all Republicans.
3. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
(a) His political favors.
(b) His sense of humor.
(c) His humble nature.
(d) His fearlessness.
4. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
(a) He had strong views against slavery.
(b) He knew all the words in the dictionary.
(c) He could out talk his opponents.
(d) He was older than any other politician.
5. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
(a) It helped hold off the Civil War for a good ten years.
(b) It gave the South the idea of secession.
(c) It made many political allies for Webster.
(d) It rallied the North to declare war on the South.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
2. In addition to being the first Senator from Missouri, what other first did Benton achieve?
3. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
4. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
5. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)