|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what conflict does Kennedy feel the most empathy?
(a) The conflict between political parties.
(b) The conflict between Congress and the Supreme Court.
(c) The conflict of constituency interest versus national interests.
(d) The conflict of special interests versus constituency interests.
2. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
(a) He never married his childhood sweetheart.
(b) He never felt he had accomplished enough.
(c) He never couold live up to his mother's expectations.
(d) He never traveled abroad.
3. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
(a) He published his gifts in the newspaper.
(b) He considered them gifts from God and from voters or constituents who Webster believed were created in God's image.
(c) He shared the gifts with other Senators and Congressmen.
(d) He used everything he collected for his favorite charities.
4. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
(a) The Missouri voters became ashamed of Benton's rough behavior.
(b) Benton had too many duels.
(c) The Missouri voters felt allied to the South but Benton supported the Union.
(d) Benton refused to own slaves.
5. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(b) Media bias one way or the other.
(c) Self interest that only looks like courage.
(d) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
2. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
3. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
4. In PROFILES IN COURAGE, what does John F. Kennedy fear the American public has forgotten?
5. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)