|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
(a) He rigged the other pistol so it wouldn't fire.
(b) He had a sniper actually shoot the opponent.
(c) He killed a U. S. District Attorney.
(d) He threw down his gun and beat the man with his fists.
2. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
(a) His sense of humor.
(b) His humble nature.
(c) His political favors.
(d) His fearlessness.
3. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
(a) He accepted money and gifts but always did only what he thought was right.
(b) The moral question of accepting money and gifts for Webster was not an issue for him.
(c) He felt he was entitled to extra benefits for his service to the Union.
(d) He never let that happen to him.
4. Besides the Texas territory which Benton opposed, what other one did he support against his party's stand?
5. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
(a) Making decisions when you do not have enough information to make good ones.
(b) Making decisions that will satisfy everyone in one way or another.
(c) Making decisions when a fellow Senator or Congressman needs to get a pet project going.
(d) Making decisions when to satisfy a constituancy will not be what is best for the nation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
2. How did Benton urge support for expansion to the West?
3. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
4. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
5. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)