|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
(a) Benton had too many duels.
(b) Benton refused to own slaves.
(c) The Missouri voters became ashamed of Benton's rough behavior.
(d) The Missouri voters felt allied to the South but Benton supported the Union.
2. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
(a) His ability to manipulate his father.
(b) His superior attitude toward other politician.
(c) His willingness to change positions when expedient.
(d) His uncompromising religion.
3. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
(a) His fearlessness.
(b) His political favors.
(c) His humble nature.
(d) His sense of humor.
4. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) Media bias one way or the other.
(b) Self interest that only looks like courage.
(c) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(d) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
5. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
(a) Adams raised his son to always do as his father did regardless of what he thought personally.
(b) Adams was a stern father but a political liberal.
(c) Adams had raised his son to do what he believed to be right and that meant opposing his father.
(d) Adams was not religious but his son, John Quincey, was a devout Puritan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
2. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
3. Who was the first son of a former president to become president of the U.S.?
4. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
5. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)