|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In PROFILES IN COURAGE, what does John F. Kennedy fear the American public has forgotten?
(a) What courage actually is.
(b) The basic principles our country was founded on.
(c) How to tell if a man is honest.
(d) Where to look for courage in a politician.
2. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
(a) As a writer of fiction.
(b) As a particularly eloquent speaker.
(c) As a politician who opposed any kind of compromise.
(d) As a squeaky voiced speaker.
3. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
(a) Because of his commitment to the Union.
(b) Because Texas was too big.
(c) Because Texas would cost too much money.
(d) Because he disliked Sam Houston.
4. How did Webster's constituents view his stand on compromise with the slave states?
(a) It drew their wrath.
(b) They thought he should run for President.
(c) They supported him wholeheartedly.
(d) They were proud of their native son.
5. How did Daniel Webster describe and define himself?
(a) Not as a Massachusetts man but as an American.
(b) As a free thinker opposed to the Union.
(c) As a citizen of the world.
(d) As a debator who loved to take any opposing view.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
2. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
3. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
4. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
5. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)