|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Besides appearing to be disloyal to his father when he aligned himself with Jefferson's politics, what other problem arose for John Quincey Adams?
(a) His mother becaue distraught that her son and husband did not agree.
(b) He lost his political influence for many months.
(c) Disillusionment of his party when he broke with them and voted with Jefferson.
(d) He was forced to change political parties and lose his seniority.
2. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
(a) Jesus Christ.
(b) John Quincy Adams.
(c) Ernest Hemingway.
(d) Bret Hart.
3. What advantage do minority special interest groups have to influence elected officials?
(a) Being able to get medial coverage without a budget.
(b) Being articulate and able to sway the public.
(c) Not needing money to get their message across.
(d) Being watchdogs on everything the official does.
4. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
(a) A mighty ship in a storm.
(b) Kennedy's Catholicism.
(c) The east coast, craggy, rocky, somber and strong.
(d) A conflict of interests.
5. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
(a) The First of January speech.
(b) The Seventh of March speech.
(c) The Christmas Day speech.
(d) The Independence Day speech.
Short Answer Questions
1. In spite of John Quincey Adams' clarity and political courage, what life-long need did he have?
2. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
3. What metaphor does Kennedy use to describe the relationship between the elected official and the electorate?
4. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
5. How did one reporter categorize elected officials?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)