|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
(a) Re-writing the Bill of Rights to include slavery.
(b) Clay's bid for re-election.
(c) The Great Compromise of 1850.
(d) Speaches warning about Abraham Lincoln's political ambitions.
2. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
(a) The Missouri voters felt allied to the South but Benton supported the Union.
(b) Benton refused to own slaves.
(c) The Missouri voters became ashamed of Benton's rough behavior.
(d) Benton had too many duels.
3. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
(a) As a squeaky voiced speaker.
(b) As a writer of fiction.
(c) As a politician who opposed any kind of compromise.
(d) As a particularly eloquent speaker.
4. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
(a) Uphold the American legal system.
(b) Write great books.
(c) Become a Puritan minister.
(d) Become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
5. How did Daniel Webster describe and define himself?
(a) As a citizen of the world.
(b) Not as a Massachusetts man but as an American.
(c) As a debator who loved to take any opposing view.
(d) As a free thinker opposed to the Union.
Short Answer Questions
1. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
2. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
3. In addition to being the first Senator from Missouri, what other first did Benton achieve?
4. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
5. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)