|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
(a) John Quincy Adams.
(b) Jesus Christ.
(c) Bret Hart.
(d) Ernest Hemingway.
2. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
(a) He killed a U. S. District Attorney.
(b) He threw down his gun and beat the man with his fists.
(c) He had a sniper actually shoot the opponent.
(d) He rigged the other pistol so it wouldn't fire.
3. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) Media bias one way or the other.
(b) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
(c) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(d) Self interest that only looks like courage.
4. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
(a) Businesses who benefited from his help paid off his debts so he could remain in the senate.
(b) Webster was offered a bfribe which he nearly accepted.
(c) Webster lied under oath in a Senate hearing.
(d) Webster appointed his relatives to Senate jobs.
5. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
(a) He arranged a lot of pork barrel spending in Missouri.
(b) He took young Congressmen under his wing.
(c) He was also very popular among his party members.
(d) He did not care about political pressures and did what he thought was right.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act of inconsistency brought his Missouri constituents to brand him a traitor?
2. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
3. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
4. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
5. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)