|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
(a) He had a sniper actually shoot the opponent.
(b) He threw down his gun and beat the man with his fists.
(c) He killed a U. S. District Attorney.
(d) He rigged the other pistol so it wouldn't fire.
2. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
(a) The Missouri voters became ashamed of Benton's rough behavior.
(b) Benton refused to own slaves.
(c) Benton had too many duels.
(d) The Missouri voters felt allied to the South but Benton supported the Union.
3. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
(a) Clay had always opposed Webster in the Senate before.
(b) Clay was from the South and Webster was from the North.
(c) Webster had given many speeches opposing Henry Clay.
(d) Clay was a republican and Webster was an independent.
4. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
(a) An unwillingness to compromise on mundane matters of politics.
(b) Personalities that clased with everyone not of their religion.
(c) Unwillingness to campaign for a second term in office.
(d) Poor choices for their cabinet members.
5. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
(a) He would do whatever was necessary to get re-elected.
(b) His stance on big government over states' rights.
(c) He would do what he thought was right regardless of his party or his popularity.
(d) He would stand up in the Senate without a gun.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
2. In PROFILES IN COURAGE, what does John F. Kennedy fear the American public has forgotten?
3. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
4. What is the example of some advice Kennedy received when he first became a Congressman?
5. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)