Eight Week Quiz F
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
(a) Clay had always opposed Webster in the Senate before.
(b) Clay was from the South and Webster was from the North.
(c) Clay was a republican and Webster was an independent.
(d) Webster had given many speeches opposing Henry Clay.
2. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
(a) I believe that statesmanship is dead in the South.
(b) If I had voted for it as directed I should have cast my first vote against my conscience.
(c) The directions for how I should vote arrived after the vote had already been taken.
(d) My vote was unimportant in a Senate populated with Radical Republicans and Democrats.
3. Did Norris always oppose President Wilson's measures?
(a) Yes. He was a total critic of Woodrow Wilson.
(b) No. He supported the President's issues that made him look good in Nabraska.
(c) No. He was opposed to any form of isolationism.
(d) No. He supported the President's major foreign policy issues.
4. What is a particular problem on occasion when the electorate presents a desire to the elected official?
(a) What they want is not fair to fixed income people.
(b) What they want they are not willing to help pay for.
(c) What they want may not in the long run be good for the constituency.
(d) What they want is not clear to the elected official.
5. What book did Lamar later say was the first one ever put into his hands to read?
(a) Plato's REPUBLIC.
(b) Joel Harris' SONG OF THE SOUTH.
(c) Franklin's AUTOBIOGRAPHY.
(d) Plutarch's LIVES.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
2. How did Webster's constituents view his stand on compromise with the slave states?
3. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
4. What was Johnson's purpose as President that caused him problems with the Radical Republicans?
5. What high office did Lamar hold at the end of his career?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)