|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
(a) As a politician who opposed any kind of compromise.
(b) As a squeaky voiced speaker.
(c) As a writer of fiction.
(d) As a particularly eloquent speaker.
2. Who said that he would rather be in his grave than in the presidency?
(a) John C. Clahoun.
(b) John Adams.
(c) Thomas Jefferson.
(d) George Washington.
3. What is the irony of Houston's defending the Northerner's rights to abolition?
(a) Houston was a slave to the Cherokee.
(b) Houston disliked all Yankees.
(c) Houston owned slaves himself.
(d) Houston opposed slavery except in the South.
4. What did Robert A. Taft have in common with John Quincey Adams?
(a) Both of their fathers had served as President of the USA.
(b) They were both Quakers.
(c) They both went on to serve on the Supreme Court.
(d) They both went to the same university.
5. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
(a) Benton will never compromise.
(b) Benton always knows what is right.
(c) Benton is a bull in a china shop.
(d) Benton and Democracy are one and the same.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did journalist William Preston Johnson describe the intellectual atmosphere of the Lamar family?
2. What famous American represented the Boston Massacre defendants in 1770?
3. What disease cut short Lamar's military career?
4. How did Lamar view the free silver movement of 1877?
5. What is a constant that an elected official must understand?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)