|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
(a) It helped hold off the Civil War for a good ten years.
(b) It rallied the North to declare war on the South.
(c) It gave the South the idea of secession.
(d) It made many political allies for Webster.
2. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
(a) The need to get re-elected.
(b) The need to get more education.
(c) The need to publish a book.
(d) The need to travel the world.
3. What metaphor does Kennedy use to describe the relationship between the elected official and the electorate?
(a) A father-child relationship.
(b) A lawyer-client relationship.
(c) A coach-team relationship.
(d) A doctor-patient relationship.
4. What did Robert A. Taft have in common with John Quincey Adams?
(a) Both of their fathers had served as President of the USA.
(b) They both went on to serve on the Supreme Court.
(c) They were both Quakers.
(d) They both went to the same university.
5. What famous piece of legislation bears Robert A. Taft's name?
(a) The Taft Welfare Act.
(b) The Taft-Hartley Act.
(c) The Taft Education Manifesto.
(d) The Taft Health Plan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
2. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
3. What Speaker of the House did Norris oppose to the chagrin of his party?
4. What act of courage marked the Presidency of Robert A. Taft's father, William Howard Taft?
5. What characteristic of Sen. Taft did Kennedy suggest might best be judged after many years?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)