|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What senator dashed his presidential hopes by speaking out against the Ku Klux Klan?
(a) Sen. Sam Houston of Texas.
(b) Sen. Thomas Hart Benton of Missouri.
(c) Sen. Oscar W. Underwood of Alabama.
(d) Sen. Lucius Lamar of Mississippi.
2. Why was it so surprising to the Radical Republicans that Ross would not announce his vote before the trial began?
(a) Roos' history was one of anti-slavery and against the southern states.
(b) The senior Senator from Kansas was for convicting Johnson.
(c) He had been anti-Johnson for many years.
(d) Because he was from Kansas, they thought he would not vote against his constituents.
3. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(c) Vachal Lindsay.
4. Of the 54 Senator in Congress, how many were openly opposed to the impeachment?
(a) Thirty-six radical Republicans.
(b) Six Republicans and twelve Democrats.
(c) About half of the Republicans and all of the Democrats.
(d) Only the twelve Democrats in the Senate.
5. What does Kennedy identify as the personal tragedy and national greatness about Sen. Robert A. Taft?
(a) That he aspired to be President but his uncompromising sense of right prevented that from happening.
(b) That he would always speak out in such a way that appeared to compromise his beliefs.
(c) That he got his party's nomination three times but never won a Presidential election.
(d) That his father had been President but he had no such ambitions.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did Norris always oppose President Wilson's measures?
2. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
3. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
4. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
5. When Houston ran away from home in his childhood, where did he go?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)