|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
(a) Ignorance of the Washington politics.
(b) More money than anyone else.
(c) The confidence of coming from a strong political family.
(d) More education than experience.
2. How did Lamar view the free silver movement of 1877?
(a) He supported it to help save Mississippi.
(b) He was too ill to pay it much attention.
(c) He saw it as a depletion of the nation's silver.
(d) He saw it as creating easy inflationary money.
3. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
(a) A mighty ship in a storm.
(b) The east coast, craggy, rocky, somber and strong.
(c) A conflict of interests.
(d) Kennedy's Catholicism.
4. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
(a) Uphold the American legal system.
(b) Become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
(c) Write great books.
(d) Become a Puritan minister.
5. In a speech, how did Houston justify his right to deliver an address in a Texas town where he had been turned away from the courthouse?
(a) He said he was the greatest general Texas ever had.
(b) He said he had authorized the funds to build that courthouse.
(c) He said he paid his taxes regularly.
(d) He said he had watered Texas soil with his blood.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of the 54 Senator in Congress, how many were openly opposed to the impeachment?
2. What was the Armed Ship Bill?
3. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
4. In addition to being the first Senator from Missouri, what other first did Benton achieve?
5. How did Lucius Lamar first run for Congress?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)