|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
(a) The Independence Day speech.
(b) The First of January speech.
(c) The Christmas Day speech.
(d) The Seventh of March speech.
2. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
(a) Both father and son served three terms in office.
(b) Neither father nor son served a second term in office.
(c) Neither father nor son served out a full term in office.
(d) Both father and son served during wartime.
3. Why were the Radical Republicans happy to see Edmund G. Ross come to the Senate?
(a) He was inexperienced in politics and the Senators could control him.
(b) He was adamantly against slavery and had worked hard for abolition.
(c) He had spoken out for Lincoln's reconstruction ideas.
(d) He was a moderate who opposed slave states but owned slaves himself.
4. Why did Houston define himself as an old fogy?
(a) Because, he said, I have been around far too long and need to retire.
(b) Because, he said, he had been made a martyr for Texas.
(c) Because, he said, I cling devotedly to the principles upon which our government was founded.
(d) Because, he said, I don't always practice what I preach.
5. What does Kennedy identify as the personal tragedy and national greatness about Sen. Robert A. Taft?
(a) That he aspired to be President but his uncompromising sense of right prevented that from happening.
(b) That his father had been President but he had no such ambitions.
(c) That he got his party's nomination three times but never won a Presidential election.
(d) That he would always speak out in such a way that appeared to compromise his beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Lamar similar to author Joel Harris?
2. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
3. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
4. What does Kennedy see as Webster's moral flaw?
5. After Houston's removal from the Senate, what office did he run for and win as an independent?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)