|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Taft supported education, health, housing, and other welfare programs against his normal conservative Republicanism. Why?
(a) He wanted to play both sides of the fence in a bid for the Presidency.
(b) His state of Ohio had high unemployment and needed those services.
(c) He felt these were not being served adequately by the private sector.
(d) It was an attempt on his part to placate the unions.
2. What was Sen. Albert Beveridge's famous statement after he was defeated for speaking out against the Payne-Aldrich Tariff Act?
(a) Our country would be better off with an Indian tribe style government of blood and prejudice.
(b) I can see now that I should have kept my mouth shut and my mind open.
(c) The people of Indiana will see the error of their ways one day in the future.
(d) It is all right, twelve years of hard work, and a clean record; I am content.
3. Who suggested that Senators were vulgar demagogues?
(a) A reporter.
(b) A preacher.
(c) An ambassador.
(d) A cabinet member.
4. Who was the Senator from Nebraska who opposed President Woodrow Wilson's Armed Ship Bill?
(a) James W. Grimes.
(b) Rutherford Hayes.
(c) Lucius Lamar.
(d) George W. Norris.
5. Why did George Norris decide to go against his constituents and vote according to his conscience?
(a) He was convinced that it was the only way for him to get publicity.
(b) It was his purpose to run for President in the next general election.
(c) He felt that his constituents were being led by the alarmist press.
(d) He said that just voting as he was told required no patriotism, no education, and no courage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Norris' candidate for President unpopular in 1928?
2. How was Lamar similar to author Joel Harris?
3. How did Daniel Webster describe and define himself?
4. What were the circumstances that brought Edmund G. Ross to Congress as Senator from Kansas?
5. What well-known military leader had Houston served under?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)