|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
(a) Write great books.
(b) Uphold the American legal system.
(c) Become a Puritan minister.
(d) Become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court.
2. What is the irony of Houston's defending the Northerner's rights to abolition?
(a) Houston owned slaves himself.
(b) Houston was a slave to the Cherokee.
(c) Houston opposed slavery except in the South.
(d) Houston disliked all Yankees.
3. What famous speech did Lamar give in Congress?
(a) The case for Confederacy speech.
(b) Give me liberty of give me death speech.
(c) The Stars and Stripes speech.
(d) An eloquent eulogy for Charles Sumner.
4. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
(a) He threw down his gun and beat the man with his fists.
(b) He had a sniper actually shoot the opponent.
(c) He rigged the other pistol so it wouldn't fire.
(d) He killed a U. S. District Attorney.
5. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
(a) He would stand up in the Senate without a gun.
(b) His stance on big government over states' rights.
(c) He would do whatever was necessary to get re-elected.
(d) He would do what he thought was right regardless of his party or his popularity.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
2. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
3. What is ironic about Texas secession on March 2?
4. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
5. What did the historian Wharton say about Houston's courage as he fought against Texas' secession from the Union?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)