|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the Jay Treaty and why did President Washington support it?
(a) It was a treaty giving land west of the Mississippi to the British.
(b) It was a treaty with Great Britain that President Washington supported to keep the young country from going to war.
(c) It was a treaty removing all taxes from British imports supported by Washington to protect the rich.
(d) It was a treaty to buy arms and munitions only from the British.
2. What position did Lamar take after the Civil War?
(a) That laws needed to be enacted to punish carpetbaggers.
(b) The way to end the South's suffering was compromise and reconciliation with the North.
(c) That people should save their confederate money.
(d) That those who supported the Union should be tried as war criminals.
3. Besides the Texas territory which Benton opposed, what other one did he support against his party's stand?
4. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
(a) They feared he would blow up the capitol building.
(b) They never knew what he might do next.
(c) They thought people would think they were picking on Benton.
(d) They feared he would challenge them to a duel.
5. Why did George Norris believe Big Business was urging the country into war?
(a) Because Big Business supported Wilson only when he tried to stay neutral.
(b) Because the country was actually run by a few big businessmen.
(c) Because he feared the munitions profits was what was steamrolling the country into war.
(d) Because American business wanted to supply munitions to the Kaiser.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
2. What two bills did Houston support that made him unpopular in the South?
3. How did Norris attack Joe Cannon's power?
4. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
5. In PROFILES IN COURAGE, what does John F. Kennedy fear the American public has forgotten?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)