|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 10.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
(a) He was also very popular among his party members.
(b) He arranged a lot of pork barrel spending in Missouri.
(c) He did not care about political pressures and did what he thought was right.
(d) He took young Congressmen under his wing.
2. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
(a) He used everything he collected for his favorite charities.
(b) He shared the gifts with other Senators and Congressmen.
(c) He published his gifts in the newspaper.
(d) He considered them gifts from God and from voters or constituents who Webster believed were created in God's image.
3. How did Daniel Webster describe and define himself?
(a) As a free thinker opposed to the Union.
(b) Not as a Massachusetts man but as an American.
(c) As a debator who loved to take any opposing view.
(d) As a citizen of the world.
4. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
(a) They feared he would challenge them to a duel.
(b) They feared he would blow up the capitol building.
(c) They thought people would think they were picking on Benton.
(d) They never knew what he might do next.
5. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
(a) Poor choices for their cabinet members.
(b) Unwillingness to campaign for a second term in office.
(c) An unwillingness to compromise on mundane matters of politics.
(d) Personalities that clased with everyone not of their religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
2. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
3. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
4. Why was Ross targeted for surveillance and harassment before the Johnson trial.
5. What was rumored to be the cause of Houston's breakdown and resigning as Governor of Tennessee?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)