|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
(a) Right in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
(b) 50 fathoms deep into the middle of hell fire.
(c) A thousand miles north of the Mason Dixon Line.
(d) Out of politics altogether.
2. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
(d) Supreme Court Justice.
3. In addition to being the first Senator from Missouri, what other first did Benton achieve?
(a) First Senator to serve 30 years in the Senate.
(b) First politician to have a duel.
(c) First politician to support Martin Van Buren.
(d) First Senator to change political parties.
4. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
(a) He would do what he thought was right regardless of his party or his popularity.
(b) He would do whatever was necessary to get re-elected.
(c) His stance on big government over states' rights.
(d) He would stand up in the Senate without a gun.
5. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
(a) Walking in the difficult landscape of being elected by constituents.
(b) Walking on the moon.
(c) Not being able to care about doing a good job.
(d) Being alone in the desert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was one argument Webster made for compromising on the question of slavery?
2. Besides appearing to be disloyal to his father when he aligned himself with Jefferson's politics, what other problem arose for John Quincey Adams?
3. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
4. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
5. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)