|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
(a) He opposed abolition.
(b) He refused to go against his own party.
(c) He was a descendent of a slave.
(d) He owned slaves himself.
2. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
(a) Being alone in the desert.
(b) Not being able to care about doing a good job.
(c) Walking on the moon.
(d) Walking in the difficult landscape of being elected by constituents.
3. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
(a) Benton always knows what is right.
(b) Benton will never compromise.
(c) Benton is a bull in a china shop.
(d) Benton and Democracy are one and the same.
4. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
(a) More money than anyone else.
(b) Ignorance of the Washington politics.
(c) The confidence of coming from a strong political family.
(d) More education than experience.
5. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
(a) He threw down his gun and beat the man with his fists.
(b) He rigged the other pistol so it wouldn't fire.
(c) He had a sniper actually shoot the opponent.
(d) He killed a U. S. District Attorney.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
2. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
3. In addition to being the first Senator from Missouri, what other first did Benton achieve?
4. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
5. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)