|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
(a) Webster lied under oath in a Senate hearing.
(b) Webster appointed his relatives to Senate jobs.
(c) Webster was offered a bfribe which he nearly accepted.
(d) Businesses who benefited from his help paid off his debts so he could remain in the senate.
2. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
(a) He was older than any other politician.
(b) He knew all the words in the dictionary.
(c) He had strong views against slavery.
(d) He could out talk his opponents.
3. How did Benton urge support for expansion to the West?
(a) He supported communications methods such as the telegraph, the Pony Express and roadways that ran into the country.
(b) He made a Congressional junket to Oregon.
(c) He pushed a measure giving extra benefits to leaders of wagon trains.
(d) He voted to give tax breaks to manufacturers of wagons.
4. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
(a) New York.
5. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
(a) His wife and his mistress.
(b) His religious congregational members.
(c) His college friends and professors.
(d) His parents and God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
2. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
3. How did Daniel Webster describe and define himself?
4. How was Benton's behavior different when he was with his family from when he was involved in politics?
5. What was one argument Webster made for compromising on the question of slavery?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)