|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
(a) The east coast, craggy, rocky, somber and strong.
(b) Kennedy's Catholicism.
(c) A conflict of interests.
(d) A mighty ship in a storm.
2. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
(a) Because Texas would cost too much money.
(b) Because he disliked Sam Houston.
(c) Because of his commitment to the Union.
(d) Because Texas was too big.
3. What were Benton's most effective weapons as a fighter?
(a) Guns and canons.
(b) Knives and bull whips.
(c) Friends and relatives.
(d) Wit and sarcasm.
4. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
(a) The need to be right all the time.
(b) The need to raise campaign money.
(c) The need to be well liked.
(d) The need to be different from other politicians.
5. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
(a) Out of politics altogether.
(b) 50 fathoms deep into the middle of hell fire.
(c) Right in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.
(d) A thousand miles north of the Mason Dixon Line.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
2. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
3. What does Kennedy see as Webster's moral flaw?
4. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
5. What is the example of some advice Kennedy received when he first became a Congressman?
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)