|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
(d) New York.
2. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
(a) He never let that happen to him.
(b) The moral question of accepting money and gifts for Webster was not an issue for him.
(c) He felt he was entitled to extra benefits for his service to the Union.
(d) He accepted money and gifts but always did only what he thought was right.
3. In spite of John Quincey Adams' clarity and political courage, what life-long need did he have?
(a) Unwavering popularity among the people.
(b) A personal fortune so he was not dependent on the voters.
(c) The approval of his father and mother.
(d) The visible justification of God.
4. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
(a) He knew all the words in the dictionary.
(b) He could out talk his opponents.
(c) He had strong views against slavery.
(d) He was older than any other politician.
5. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
(a) His religious congregational members.
(b) His parents and God.
(c) His wife and his mistress.
(d) His college friends and professors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
2. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
3. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
4. What do the subject of PROFILES IN COURAGE all have in common?
5. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)