|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kennedy see as Webster's moral flaw?
(a) Webster had no compunction against taking money for political favors.
(b) Webster was an alcoholic and often lost track of time.
(c) Webster was a compulsive gambler.
(d) Webster had many affairs his wife did not know about.
2. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
(a) He never couold live up to his mother's expectations.
(b) He never traveled abroad.
(c) He never married his childhood sweetheart.
(d) He never felt he had accomplished enough.
3. Besides appearing to be disloyal to his father when he aligned himself with Jefferson's politics, what other problem arose for John Quincey Adams?
(a) Disillusionment of his party when he broke with them and voted with Jefferson.
(b) His mother becaue distraught that her son and husband did not agree.
(c) He was forced to change political parties and lose his seniority.
(d) He lost his political influence for many months.
4. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
(a) Presidential arm twisting.
(b) Political differences within the official's own family.
(c) Party pressure to vote the party line.
(d) National opinion polls.
5. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
(a) They thought people would think they were picking on Benton.
(b) They never knew what he might do next.
(c) They feared he would challenge them to a duel.
(d) They feared he would blow up the capitol building.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
2. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
3. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
4. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
5. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)