|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(b) Media bias one way or the other.
(c) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
(d) Self interest that only looks like courage.
2. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
(a) The Christmas Day speech.
(b) The Seventh of March speech.
(c) The Independence Day speech.
(d) The First of January speech.
3. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
(a) Making decisions that will satisfy everyone in one way or another.
(b) Making decisions when you do not have enough information to make good ones.
(c) Making decisions when to satisfy a constituancy will not be what is best for the nation.
(d) Making decisions when a fellow Senator or Congressman needs to get a pet project going.
4. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
(a) An unwillingness to compromise on mundane matters of politics.
(b) Poor choices for their cabinet members.
(c) Personalities that clased with everyone not of their religion.
(d) Unwillingness to campaign for a second term in office.
5. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
(a) A mighty ship in a storm.
(b) Kennedy's Catholicism.
(c) The east coast, craggy, rocky, somber and strong.
(d) A conflict of interests.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
2. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
3. What were Benton's most effective weapons as a fighter?
4. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
5. What is a constant that an elected official must understand?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)