|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
(a) Speaches warning about Abraham Lincoln's political ambitions.
(b) The Great Compromise of 1850.
(c) Clay's bid for re-election.
(d) Re-writing the Bill of Rights to include slavery.
2. How did one reporter categorize elected officials?
(a) That people thought everything they said was untrue.
(b) That people elected them on their looks.
(c) That they were gluttons for mental punishment.
(d) That they needed to be good public speakers.
3. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
(a) Party pressure to vote the party line.
(b) Presidential arm twisting.
(c) National opinion polls.
(d) Political differences within the official's own family.
4. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
(a) His religious congregational members.
(b) His parents and God.
(c) His college friends and professors.
(d) His wife and his mistress.
5. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
(a) He published his gifts in the newspaper.
(b) He considered them gifts from God and from voters or constituents who Webster believed were created in God's image.
(c) He used everything he collected for his favorite charities.
(d) He shared the gifts with other Senators and Congressmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
2. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
3. What is the example of some advice Kennedy received when he first became a Congressman?
4. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
5. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)