|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
(a) He accepted money and gifts but always did only what he thought was right.
(b) He felt he was entitled to extra benefits for his service to the Union.
(c) The moral question of accepting money and gifts for Webster was not an issue for him.
(d) He never let that happen to him.
2. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
(b) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(c) Media bias one way or the other.
(d) Self interest that only looks like courage.
3. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
(a) He could out talk his opponents.
(b) He knew all the words in the dictionary.
(c) He was older than any other politician.
(d) He had strong views against slavery.
4. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
(a) He would do whatever was necessary to get re-elected.
(b) He would do what he thought was right regardless of his party or his popularity.
(c) He would stand up in the Senate without a gun.
(d) His stance on big government over states' rights.
5. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
(a) Adams secret life of debauchery.
(b) Times of disappointment and hurt at loss of popularity.
(c) His hate and retribution against his enemies.
(d) Lapses in his Puritanical beliefs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the Texas territory which Benton opposed, what other one did he support against his party's stand?
2. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
3. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
4. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
5. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)