|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
(b) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(c) Media bias one way or the other.
(d) Self interest that only looks like courage.
2. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
(a) Personalities that clased with everyone not of their religion.
(b) Poor choices for their cabinet members.
(c) Unwillingness to campaign for a second term in office.
(d) An unwillingness to compromise on mundane matters of politics.
3. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
(a) Clay was from the South and Webster was from the North.
(b) Clay was a republican and Webster was an independent.
(c) Clay had always opposed Webster in the Senate before.
(d) Webster had given many speeches opposing Henry Clay.
4. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
(a) He wanted to bring the prospect of Civil War to a head.
(b) He viewed it as a short-term compromise.
(c) He thought it would give him power to run for President.
(d) He believed that compromise would eventually lead to abolition.
5. What is a constant that an elected official must understand?
(a) The media will not report anything the elected official does not want made public.
(b) He or she will never hear from the constituency until election day.
(c) That once elected, the official is no longer responsible to the constituency.
(d) He or she is under scrutiny by the constituency.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
2. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
3. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
4. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
5. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)