|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
(a) The need to publish a book.
(b) The need to get re-elected.
(c) The need to travel the world.
(d) The need to get more education.
2. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
(a) Webster sacrificed his potential presidential run and his popularity.
(b) Webster was honored by his constituents as a man of courage.
(c) Webster would have become president but he died 2 years later.
(d) Webster changed his position of slavery to agree with Clay.
3. What does Kennedy suggest prevents a lot of people from acting courageously?
(a) Fear of the unknown.
(b) Not enough education about courage.
(c) Averice and greed.
(d) Social and public pressures.
4. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
(a) It rallied the North to declare war on the South.
(b) It made many political allies for Webster.
(c) It helped hold off the Civil War for a good ten years.
(d) It gave the South the idea of secession.
5. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
(a) Senator William Cooper.
(b) Senator Aaron Burr.
(c) Senator Martin VanBuren.
(d) Senator Henry Foote.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
2. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
3. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
4. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
5. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)