|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a particular problem on occasion when the electorate presents a desire to the elected official?
(a) What they want is not clear to the elected official.
(b) What they want they are not willing to help pay for.
(c) What they want is not fair to fixed income people.
(d) What they want may not in the long run be good for the constituency.
2. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
(a) Benton and Democracy are one and the same.
(b) Benton always knows what is right.
(c) Benton will never compromise.
(d) Benton is a bull in a china shop.
3. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
(a) Senator Henry Foote.
(b) Senator Aaron Burr.
(c) Senator William Cooper.
(d) Senator Martin VanBuren.
4. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
(a) They feared he would challenge them to a duel.
(b) They never knew what he might do next.
(c) They thought people would think they were picking on Benton.
(d) They feared he would blow up the capitol building.
5. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
(a) Both father and son served three terms in office.
(b) Both father and son served during wartime.
(c) Neither father nor son served a second term in office.
(d) Neither father nor son served out a full term in office.
Short Answer Questions
1. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
2. Who said that courage is grace under pressure?
3. Who was the first son of a former president to become president of the U.S.?
4. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
5. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)