|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
(a) An unwillingness to compromise on mundane matters of politics.
(b) Personalities that clased with everyone not of their religion.
(c) Poor choices for their cabinet members.
(d) Unwillingness to campaign for a second term in office.
2. What is the first pressure of Americans that keeps them from acting courageously according to Kennedy?
(a) The need to be right all the time.
(b) The need to be different from other politicians.
(c) The need to raise campaign money.
(d) The need to be well liked.
3. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
(a) He did not feel that being a part of a Union that allowed slavery in some territories a viable alternative.
(b) He was a strong supporter of the Union and believed compromise on slavery was more important than breaking up the nation.
(c) He would not address the subject of slavery because he though it would just go away.
(d) He refused to argue against salvery when he went to the Southern states.
4. How was Benton's behavior different when he was with his family from when he was involved in politics?
(a) He held his family by fear.
(b) He hid his wife's mental illness from the public.
(c) He was always warm and gentle around his family.
(d) He was easy on political opponents and harsh on his family.
5. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
(a) Walking on the moon.
(b) Walking in the difficult landscape of being elected by constituents.
(c) Not being able to care about doing a good job.
(d) Being alone in the desert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy see as Webster's moral flaw?
2. Who was the first son of a former president to become president of the U.S.?
3. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
4. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
5. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)