|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one argument Webster made for compromising on the question of slavery?
(a) Northerns would be able to have slaves legally.
(b) Slavery would eventually dry up because there were fewer traders.
(c) World opinion would eventually settle the question.
(d) If the Union divided, slavery might even become stronger in the Southern states.
2. What is a constant that an elected official must understand?
(a) That once elected, the official is no longer responsible to the constituency.
(b) He or she is under scrutiny by the constituency.
(c) The media will not report anything the elected official does not want made public.
(d) He or she will never hear from the constituency until election day.
3. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
(a) Making decisions that will satisfy everyone in one way or another.
(b) Making decisions when a fellow Senator or Congressman needs to get a pet project going.
(c) Making decisions when you do not have enough information to make good ones.
(d) Making decisions when to satisfy a constituancy will not be what is best for the nation.
4. Besides the Texas territory which Benton opposed, what other one did he support against his party's stand?
5. What is another difficult situation for an elected official besides the interests of the nation and those of the constituency?
(a) Party pressure to vote the party line.
(b) Presidential arm twisting.
(c) Political differences within the official's own family.
(d) National opinion polls.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
2. How was Benton's behavior different when he was with his family from when he was involved in politics?
3. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
4. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
5. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)