|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
(a) They thought people would think they were picking on Benton.
(b) They feared he would challenge them to a duel.
(c) They feared he would blow up the capitol building.
(d) They never knew what he might do next.
2. For what conflict does Kennedy feel the most empathy?
(a) The conflict of constituency interest versus national interests.
(b) The conflict of special interests versus constituency interests.
(c) The conflict between Congress and the Supreme Court.
(d) The conflict between political parties.
3. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
(a) Because Texas would cost too much money.
(b) Because Texas was too big.
(c) Because of his commitment to the Union.
(d) Because he disliked Sam Houston.
4. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
(a) Supreme Court Justice.
5. According to Kennedy, what makes it difficult to recognize courageous acts when they do occur?
(a) Business concerns and the competition for attention from the public.
(b) The secrecy of most courageous acts.
(c) Media bias one way or the other.
(d) Self interest that only looks like courage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy see as Webster's moral flaw?
2. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
3. What does Kennedy suggest prevents a lot of people from acting courageously?
4. How does Kennedy characterize the difficult position of the elected official?
5. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
This section contains 342 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)