|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
(a) His god.
(b) His family.
(c) His party.
(d) His people.
2. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
(a) His religious congregational members.
(b) His wife and his mistress.
(c) His parents and God.
(d) His college friends and professors.
3. What act of inconsistency brought his Missouri constituents to brand him a traitor?
(a) His opposition to the Missouri Compromise.
(b) His opposition to annexting Texas.
(c) His voting with the Republicans.
(d) His willingness to allow the country to go to war.
4. What does Kennedy suggest prevents a lot of people from acting courageously?
(a) Social and public pressures.
(b) Averice and greed.
(c) Fear of the unknown.
(d) Not enough education about courage.
5. What is Kennedy's third pressure that he feels is the most damaging?
(a) Making decisions when you do not have enough information to make good ones.
(b) Making decisions when to satisfy a constituancy will not be what is best for the nation.
(c) Making decisions that will satisfy everyone in one way or another.
(d) Making decisions when a fellow Senator or Congressman needs to get a pet project going.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Thomas Hart Benton get the nickname of Old Bullion?
2. How was Benton's behavior different when he was with his family from when he was involved in politics?
3. What was it about Benton that inspired the approval of his Missouri constituency?
4. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
5. For what conflict does Kennedy feel the most empathy?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)