|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Kennedy assess the failure of both Adams presidencies to produce second terms?
(a) Unwillingness to campaign for a second term in office.
(b) Personalities that clased with everyone not of their religion.
(c) An unwillingness to compromise on mundane matters of politics.
(d) Poor choices for their cabinet members.
2. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
(a) They feared he would challenge them to a duel.
(b) They thought people would think they were picking on Benton.
(c) They never knew what he might do next.
(d) They feared he would blow up the capitol building.
3. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
(a) Adams was a stern father but a political liberal.
(b) Adams raised his son to always do as his father did regardless of what he thought personally.
(c) Adams had raised his son to do what he believed to be right and that meant opposing his father.
(d) Adams was not religious but his son, John Quincey, was a devout Puritan.
4. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
(a) A conflict of interests.
(b) A mighty ship in a storm.
(c) The east coast, craggy, rocky, somber and strong.
(d) Kennedy's Catholicism.
5. What act of inconsistency brought his Missouri constituents to brand him a traitor?
(a) His opposition to the Missouri Compromise.
(b) His willingness to allow the country to go to war.
(c) His voting with the Republicans.
(d) His opposition to annexting Texas.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an irony of Benton's opposition to the slave states?
2. Although thought of as a crazy politician, what did John F. Kennedy see as a mark of courage in the man?
3. For what conflict does Kennedy feel the most empathy?
4. What does Kennedy identify as the second pressure that prevents courageous deeds by elected officials.
5. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)