|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
(a) The Christmas Day speech.
(b) The Independence Day speech.
(c) The Seventh of March speech.
(d) The First of January speech.
2. When Houston ran away from home in his childhood, where did he go?
(a) To his grandfather.
(b) To sea.
(c) To live with the Cherokee.
(d) To Texas.
3. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
(a) He accepted money and gifts but always did only what he thought was right.
(b) The moral question of accepting money and gifts for Webster was not an issue for him.
(c) He felt he was entitled to extra benefits for his service to the Union.
(d) He never let that happen to him.
4. What was Lamar's main purpose in his political actions?
(a) To bring the South peacefully back into the Union.
(b) To become President of the United States.
(c) To transfer his allegience to the Northern Democrats.
(d) To rekindle the anamosity between North and South.
5. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
(a) Senator Aaron Burr.
(b) Senator Martin VanBuren.
(c) Senator William Cooper.
(d) Senator Henry Foote.
Short Answer Questions
1. What well-known military leader had Houston served under?
2. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
3. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
4. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
5. Who was the first son of a former president to become president of the U.S.?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)