|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
(a) Henry Calhoun.
(b) Thomas Hart Benton.
(c) Stephen A. Austin.
(d) Sam Houston.
2. Besides appearing to be disloyal to his father when he aligned himself with Jefferson's politics, what other problem arose for John Quincey Adams?
(a) His mother becaue distraught that her son and husband did not agree.
(b) He was forced to change political parties and lose his seniority.
(c) He lost his political influence for many months.
(d) Disillusionment of his party when he broke with them and voted with Jefferson.
3. What was Lamar able to convince President Hayes to do?
(a) Appoint Southerners to key positions in his cabinet.
(b) Give Tilden a much sought after ambassadorship.
(c) Withdraw occupation troops and restore Home Rule in key states.
(d) Apologize to the South for certain military actions during the war.
4. Why was it considered a contradiction when Houston supported temperance?
(a) His political supporters opposed temperance.
(b) He was a heavy drinker.
(c) He owned a brewery.
(d) He made his money in rum running.
5. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
(a) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Benton urge support for expansion to the West?
2. What was one argument Webster made for compromising on the question of slavery?
3. What action by Texas brought about the end of Houston's career?
4. Besides the Texas territory which Benton opposed, what other one did he support against his party's stand?
5. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)