|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
(a) It made many political allies for Webster.
(b) It rallied the North to declare war on the South.
(c) It helped hold off the Civil War for a good ten years.
(d) It gave the South the idea of secession.
2. What was Lamar's main purpose in his political actions?
(a) To become President of the United States.
(b) To transfer his allegience to the Northern Democrats.
(c) To rekindle the anamosity between North and South.
(d) To bring the South peacefully back into the Union.
3. Whom did the Adams family say that the magistrate must serve?
(a) His party.
(b) His people.
(c) His family.
(d) His god.
4. What advantage did John Quincey Adams have as a politician?
(a) The confidence of coming from a strong political family.
(b) More money than anyone else.
(c) More education than experience.
(d) Ignorance of the Washington politics.
5. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
(a) Tact and humor.
(b) Amiability and aimlessness.
(c) Stubbornness and greed.
(d) Envy and averace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
2. What was rumored to be the cause of Houston's breakdown and resigning as Governor of Tennessee?
3. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
4. John Quincey Adams was a Senator from what state?
5. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
This section contains 316 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)