|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
(a) The east coast, craggy, rocky, somber and strong.
(b) Kennedy's Catholicism.
(c) A conflict of interests.
(d) A mighty ship in a storm.
2. How did Benton urge support for expansion to the West?
(a) He made a Congressional junket to Oregon.
(b) He pushed a measure giving extra benefits to leaders of wagon trains.
(c) He voted to give tax breaks to manufacturers of wagons.
(d) He supported communications methods such as the telegraph, the Pony Express and roadways that ran into the country.
3. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
(a) His outstanding education.
(b) His political connections.
(c) His ability to make friends easily.
(d) His handsomeand commanding appearance.
4. What were Benton's most effective weapons as a fighter?
(a) Friends and relatives.
(b) Guns and canons.
(c) Knives and bull whips.
(d) Wit and sarcasm.
5. How did Daniel Webster describe and define himself?
(a) As a debator who loved to take any opposing view.
(b) Not as a Massachusetts man but as an American.
(c) As a citizen of the world.
(d) As a free thinker opposed to the Union.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Benton's characteristic that early on made his constituents love him?
2. Where did Benton say he's rather see the Democratic Party rather than give one inch to Mr. Van Buren?
3. What position did Lamar take after the Civil War?
4. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
5. What does Kennedy see as Webster's moral flaw?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)