|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was it considered a contradiction when Houston supported temperance?
(a) He made his money in rum running.
(b) His political supporters opposed temperance.
(c) He was a heavy drinker.
(d) He owned a brewery.
2. What Webster speech in the Senate became known by the date it was given?
(a) The Christmas Day speech.
(b) The First of January speech.
(c) The Seventh of March speech.
(d) The Independence Day speech.
3. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
(a) He would not address the subject of slavery because he though it would just go away.
(b) He refused to argue against salvery when he went to the Southern states.
(c) He was a strong supporter of the Union and believed compromise on slavery was more important than breaking up the nation.
(d) He did not feel that being a part of a Union that allowed slavery in some territories a viable alternative.
4. What book did Lamar later say was the first one ever put into his hands to read?
(a) Joel Harris' SONG OF THE SOUTH.
(b) Plato's REPUBLIC.
(c) Plutarch's LIVES.
(d) Franklin's AUTOBIOGRAPHY.
5. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
(c) Supreme Court Justice.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Houston ran away from home in his childhood, where did he go?
2. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
3. What traits indicate that Adams suffered common human emotions?
4. After Houston's removal from the Senate, what office did he run for and win as an independent?
5. What leader who was at odds with Adams' father did John Quincey find himself agreeing with quite often?
This section contains 372 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)