|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Benton's reputation for being crazy become problematic to his opponents?
(a) They feared he would challenge them to a duel.
(b) They never knew what he might do next.
(c) They thought people would think they were picking on Benton.
(d) They feared he would blow up the capitol building.
2. What was ironic when the Matthews Resolution came up for a vote in the Senate?
(a) Lamar had gone back to Mississippi and missed the vote.
(b) Lamar voted against it but the other Senator, a Negro appointed by the reconstruction, voted for it.
(c) The Resolution came before the Senate before the Bland Bill.
(d) Matthews voted against his own resolution.
3. How did Webster view the Compromise of 1850 in terms of his anti-slavery convictions?
(a) He believed that compromise would eventually lead to abolition.
(b) He viewed it as a short-term compromise.
(c) He wanted to bring the prospect of Civil War to a head.
(d) He thought it would give him power to run for President.
4. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
(a) His ability to manipulate his father.
(b) His willingness to change positions when expedient.
(c) His uncompromising religion.
(d) His superior attitude toward other politician.
5. Why was Webster not bothered by what many would consider as bribes?
(a) He never let that happen to him.
(b) He felt he was entitled to extra benefits for his service to the Union.
(c) He accepted money and gifts but always did only what he thought was right.
(d) The moral question of accepting money and gifts for Webster was not an issue for him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
2. John Quincey Adams' mother was fond of saying John had been groomed to do what?
3. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
4. Which of the following public offices did John Quincey Adams NOT hold?
5. What two bills did Houston support that made him unpopular in the South?
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)