|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
(a) The directions for how I should vote arrived after the vote had already been taken.
(b) If I had voted for it as directed I should have cast my first vote against my conscience.
(c) My vote was unimportant in a Senate populated with Radical Republicans and Democrats.
(d) I believe that statesmanship is dead in the South.
2. Besides appearing to be disloyal to his father when he aligned himself with Jefferson's politics, what other problem arose for John Quincey Adams?
(a) His mother becaue distraught that her son and husband did not agree.
(b) Disillusionment of his party when he broke with them and voted with Jefferson.
(c) He was forced to change political parties and lose his seniority.
(d) He lost his political influence for many months.
3. Why was John Quincey Adams generally unhappy?
(a) He never married his childhood sweetheart.
(b) He never couold live up to his mother's expectations.
(c) He never traveled abroad.
(d) He never felt he had accomplished enough.
4. What effect did Webster's three-hour-long speech in the Senate have in 1850?
(a) It helped hold off the Civil War for a good ten years.
(b) It rallied the North to declare war on the South.
(c) It gave the South the idea of secession.
(d) It made many political allies for Webster.
5. What view did Webster take that made him unpopular with abolitionists?
(a) He was a strong supporter of the Union and believed compromise on slavery was more important than breaking up the nation.
(b) He did not feel that being a part of a Union that allowed slavery in some territories a viable alternative.
(c) He would not address the subject of slavery because he though it would just go away.
(d) He refused to argue against salvery when he went to the Southern states.
Short Answer Questions
1. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
2. What book did Lamar later say was the first one ever put into his hands to read?
3. Where did Houston say he wanted it written that he loved his country, he was a patriot, and he was devoted to the Union.
4. What was so strange about Henry Clay's enlisting Webster in his cause for compromise?
5. What were Benton's most effective weapons as a fighter?
This section contains 474 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)