|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Lamar's involvement in the controversial Hayes-Tilden presidential election?
(a) He made stump speeches for Hayes.
(b) He supported an election commission that eventually gave Hayes the Presidency.
(c) He refused to fight the election results.
(d) He voted against the Democrats and supported Hayes.
2. Besides the Texas territory which Benton opposed, what other one did he support against his party's stand?
3. What Senator pulled a gun on Benton once?
(a) Senator Aaron Burr.
(b) Senator Henry Foote.
(c) Senator Martin VanBuren.
(d) Senator William Cooper.
4. What act of inconsistency brought his Missouri constituents to brand him a traitor?
(a) His opposition to the Missouri Compromise.
(b) His opposition to annexting Texas.
(c) His voting with the Republicans.
(d) His willingness to allow the country to go to war.
5. What position did Lamar take after the Civil War?
(a) That laws needed to be enacted to punish carpetbaggers.
(b) That people should save their confederate money.
(c) That those who supported the Union should be tried as war criminals.
(d) The way to end the South's suffering was compromise and reconciliation with the North.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
2. How did journalist William Preston Johnson describe the intellectual atmosphere of the Lamar family?
3. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
4. What was the dichotomy concerning John Quincey Adams' father?
5. What book did Lamar later say was the first one ever put into his hands to read?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)