|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
(a) Henry Calhoun.
(b) Sam Houston.
(c) Stephen A. Austin.
(d) Thomas Hart Benton.
2. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
(a) He threw down his gun and beat the man with his fists.
(b) He had a sniper actually shoot the opponent.
(c) He rigged the other pistol so it wouldn't fire.
(d) He killed a U. S. District Attorney.
3. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
(a) Vachal Lindsay.
(b) Edgar Allen Poe.
(d) Walt Whitman.
4. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
(a) Neither father nor son served a second term in office.
(b) Both father and son served during wartime.
(c) Both father and son served three terms in office.
(d) Neither father nor son served out a full term in office.
5. What was Webster's justification for accepting political gifts and money?
(a) He considered them gifts from God and from voters or constituents who Webster believed were created in God's image.
(b) He published his gifts in the newspaper.
(c) He used everything he collected for his favorite charities.
(d) He shared the gifts with other Senators and Congressmen.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Lamar toured Mississippi to discuss his reasons for voting the way he did, how did the people react?
2. What made Sam Houston a household word in the United States?
3. What disease cut short Lamar's military career?
4. What metaphoric comparison does Kennedy make to John Quincey Adams' Puritanism?
5. After Houston's removal from the Senate, what office did he run for and win as an independent?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)