|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Kennedy ascribe as half the power of Webster?
(a) His political connections.
(b) His ability to make friends easily.
(c) His handsomeand commanding appearance.
(d) His outstanding education.
2. How did Webster's constituents view his stand on compromise with the slave states?
(a) They supported him wholeheartedly.
(b) It drew their wrath.
(c) They were proud of their native son.
(d) They thought he should run for President.
3. In terms of service in office of both father and son, what similarity set them apart from presidents before and after them?
(a) Both father and son served during wartime.
(b) Both father and son served three terms in office.
(c) Neither father nor son served out a full term in office.
(d) Neither father nor son served a second term in office.
4. What measure did Henry Clay enlist Webster to help with?
(a) Speaches warning about Abraham Lincoln's political ambitions.
(b) The Great Compromise of 1850.
(c) Re-writing the Bill of Rights to include slavery.
(d) Clay's bid for re-election.
5. What did Lamar say about his vote against the Matthews Resolution?
(a) If I had voted for it as directed I should have cast my first vote against my conscience.
(b) My vote was unimportant in a Senate populated with Radical Republicans and Democrats.
(c) The directions for how I should vote arrived after the vote had already been taken.
(d) I believe that statesmanship is dead in the South.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Benton oppose the treaty of annexation of Texas?
2. For what prestigious university did Adams once work as a professor?
3. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
4. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
5. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)