|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was one of Benton's favorite sayings about himself?
(a) Benton is a bull in a china shop.
(b) Benton and Democracy are one and the same.
(c) Benton always knows what is right.
(d) Benton will never compromise.
2. Kennedy sees as a weakness in John Quincey Adams an emotional attachment to whom?
(a) His wife and his mistress.
(b) His parents and God.
(c) His religious congregational members.
(d) His college friends and professors.
3. What trait of Adams ultimately caused him to suffer great disappointments?
(a) His uncompromising religion.
(b) His willingness to change positions when expedient.
(c) His superior attitude toward other politician.
(d) His ability to manipulate his father.
4. Prior to the Civil War, what notable action did Lamar undertake with Jefferson Davis?
(a) Speaking out against secession.
(b) Designing the Confederate flag.
(c) Walking out of the Democratic Convention.
(d) Writing the Articles of Confederation.
5. What occurred during a duel that gave Benton a reputation as something of a thug?
(a) He killed a U. S. District Attorney.
(b) He had a sniper actually shoot the opponent.
(c) He rigged the other pistol so it wouldn't fire.
(d) He threw down his gun and beat the man with his fists.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kennedy say was a liability about Webster's immense popularity with both sides of the political spectrum?
2. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
3. What issue caused Benton finally to begin losing popularity in Missouri?
4. Why was Webster a leader in the North prior to the Civil War?
5. What poet does Kennedy quote to express the bitterness of the South during reconstruction?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)