|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What character traits did Henry Adams consider that Lamar possessed above all others?
(a) Tact and humor.
(b) Amiability and aimlessness.
(c) Stubbornness and greed.
(d) Envy and averace.
2. How did journalist William Preston Johnson describe the intellectual atmosphere of the Lamar family?
(a) They were self taught but not uneducated.
(b) The Lamars had amassed a huge library.
(c) There was a black thread of moodiness in all the family.
(d) The fatal dowry of genius was upon the house.
3. What high office did Lamar hold at the end of his career?
(a) Secretary of the Interior.
(b) Vice-President of the United States.
(c) Justice of the Supreme Court.
(d) Head of the Democratic National Committee.
4. What was rumored to be the cause of Houston's breakdown and resigning as Governor of Tennessee?
(a) He started drinking heavily and could not perform his duties.
(b) People were pressuring him to run for President of the Union but he did not want to.
(c) General Andrew Jackson called him for an important secret mission.
(d) He discovered that his young bride had been forced to marry him even though she loved another.
5. What questionable arrangement kept Webster in the Senate when he was about to resign?
(a) Webster lied under oath in a Senate hearing.
(b) Webster was offered a bfribe which he nearly accepted.
(c) Businesses who benefited from his help paid off his debts so he could remain in the senate.
(d) Webster appointed his relatives to Senate jobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the result of Webster's courageous stand in giving the Seventh of March speech?
2. What was one argument Webster made for compromising on the question of slavery?
3. What was Daniel Webster known for during his lifetime?
4. What earned Houston the name of traitor and pro-Abolitionist?
5. Who served as the Governor of Tennessee and later as Senator from the State of Texas?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)