|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who developed SAGE?
2. Who appointed von Neumann Atomic Energy Commissioner?
3. What game is similar to volunteer's dilemma but is played by only two people?
4. A study commissioned to find out how many bombs the U.S. had available reported that a total of 300 to 600 bombs were available in what year?
5. As his health worsened von Neumann's ___ was one of the first things to go.
Short Essay Questions
1. What strategy dominated the original Ohio State studies and the later variations?
2. Who publicly disavowed preemptive war after publicly advocating for so long?
3. In relation to U.S. bomb development who was Harold Urey?
4. What was an example of a public nuclear game of chicken and who was involved?
5. What is backwards induction?
6. How did the tournaments operate?
7. What is the madman strategy and how does it affect the game of chicken?
8. What were the Ohio State studies?
9. In the nuclear war debate how did Francis Matthews figure?
10. How did evolutionary game theory come about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Douglas Hofstadter invented the largest-number game. This lottery luring game was concluded to be a hopeless situation. What did this game involve and what were some examples of this game in Chapter 13? What were some common problems and/or complaints about this game? Why was this game concluded to be a hopeless situation?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 4, the place of game theory in wartime is detailed by the author. What role did game theory play in wartime in the United States? In Europe? In Japan? In Cuba?
Essay Topic 3
In regards to the Flood-Dresher experiment the author tells a story about honor among thieves to explain the prisoner's dilemma that was first discussed in a paper authored by Flood. What was the original Flood-Dresher experiment like? What are some inherent problems with this dilemma? How can they be resolved for the best possible outcome for each player? What is the worst possible outcome for each player in this game model?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)