|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the RAND Corporation become home to many distinguished scientists?
2. According to Chapter 3, von Neumann concerned himself with what type of games, where in order for one person to gain, another person must lose?
3. Which game was popular in the IAS lunch rooms?
4. At the end of summer at RAND one of the employees would watch what people would ____ when they left.
5. Shortly after earning his PhD in mathematics, von Neumann moved to what country for a teaching position?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was the Cold War and who was involved?
2. Where is von Neumann from and why was he considered a child prodigy?
3. What was the RAND Corporation?
4. Why was von Neumann considered the "best brain in the world?"
5. How is Kriegspiel different from Chess or Tic-tac-toe?
6. What was the doctrine of deterrence during the Cold War and what did it mean?
7. Who helped Flood conduct his 100 prisoner's dilemmas experiments?
8. What kind of studies did RAND conduct?
9. What is the IAS?
10. What is a minimax solution and saddle points?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In regards to the Flood-Dresher experiment the author tells a story about honor among thieves to explain the prisoner's dilemma that was first discussed in a paper authored by Flood. What was the original Flood-Dresher experiment like? What are some inherent problems with this dilemma? How can they be resolved for the best possible outcome for each player? What is the worst possible outcome for each player in this game model?
Essay Topic 2
Merrill Flood was the first to analyze the irrationality of people with game theory. Who is Merrill Flood? How did he go about analyzing this behavior with game theory? What were his resulting conclusion(s)? Please cite specific methodologies; detail situation specifics and explain any reactions, input and/or feedback from his RAND colleagues.
Essay Topic 3
Prisoner's Dilemma and Chicken are two social dilemmas of fundamental importance in human affairs. Why? Explain the parameters of each dilemma in relation to real life and then discuss what makes each dilemma so important to human affairs. Also, conclude with which dilemma you feel is the most important of the two in regards to human affairs, and why.
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)