|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. John von Neumann helped a company move its _____ computers to digital, stored binary computers.
(b) Graphics systems.
2. What philosopher advocated a world government for peace?
3. Which one of von Neumann's colleagues, though a left wing pacifist, joined with him in advocating preventative nuclear war against the Soviet Union?
4. What was the first name of von Neumann's second wife?
5. In the game prisoner's dilemma the police separate the two criminals into ______ .
(a) Transfer rooms.
(b) A stark cellar.
(c) Prison cells.
(d) Interrogation rooms.
6. Besides mathematics, von Neumann, according to details in Chapter 2, was also very knowledgeable in what area?
(a) English Literature.
7. Bertrand Russell is a ___.
8. RAND operations were located where?
9. Kriegspiel is what is termed an "____" information game.
10. Who invited von Neumann to join the Manhattan Project?
11. After what war did the United States engage in a prolonged nuclear arms race with another country?
(c) The Great War.
(d) The Korean War.
12. How many prisoner's dilemmas were played in the game's experiment, according to details in Chapter 6?
13. Besides Einstein, von Neumann was in the presence of such great thinkers as ____ at the IAS.
(b) Alois Alzheimer.
14. Several famous RAND studies looked at how the public would respond to contact with aliens and life after what?
(a) A near death experience.
(b) An alien abduction.
(c) Chemical warfare.
(d) A nuclear war.
15. During the Cold War "mutually assured ___" was the deterrence doctrine of the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who developed the game model now known as a prisoner's dilemma?
2. The minimax theorem states that every two-person game that is completely defined and where players are completely opposed, will have a solution in either ____ or mixed strategy.
3. In Chapter 1, as time runs out for the loved ones, each in a separate room what will each be tempted to do?
4. During von Neumann's time on the Princeton social scene, he attended numerous parties and his drink of choice was what?
5. Who conducted an experiment to see how real people would respond in the prisoner's dilemma game model?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)