|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The RAND Corporation became know for "___" the unthinkable as they considered problems arising in varied situations?
2. How old was von Neumann when he was invited to teach a course at Princeton?
3. In Chapter 5 it is mentioned that the RAND Corporation became known as what type of place?
(a) A funding black hole.
(b) A government conspiracy operation.
(c) The best brains in the world.
(d) A think tank.
4. Before ever making his memorable contribution for the development of game theory von Neumann was already known as the "best ______ in the world."
5. Kriegspiel was developed as a game to be used where?
(a) Military torture.
(b) Military hospitals.
(c) Military prisons.
(d) Military academies.
6. Several famous RAND studies looked at how the public would respond to contact with aliens and life after what?
(a) An alien abduction.
(b) A near death experience.
(c) Chemical warfare.
(d) A nuclear war.
7. RAND operations were located where?
8. Russell was the first to suggest a different game model for ___ than prisoner's dilemma.
(a) Nuclear war.
(b) Negotiating a peace treaty.
(c) Building a world government.
(d) Selling a car.
9. In Chapter 1 if the person in one of the rooms pushes the button before their loved one in another room their loved one will be ____.
10. Despite escalating armaments the Cold War ended without _____.
(a) A nuclear exchange.
(b) U.N. mediation.
(c) Human rights violations.
(d) A bio-weapon exchange.
11. Besides Bertrand Russell, what mathematician thought a new war between the U.S. and Soviet Union was inevitable once the conflict ended between the Allied and Axis powers?
(a) John Nash.
(b) Kurt Godel.
(c) John von Neumann.
(d) Merrrill Flood.
12. What country did some feel stood in the way of a world government and should be bombed?
(b) North Korea.
(c) The Soviet Union.
13. In Chapter 1, as time runs out for the loved ones, each in a separate room what will each be tempted to do?
(b) Beg for more time.
(c) Wait it out.
(d) Push the button.
14. Who originally suggested the RAND Corporation as a research and development institute?
(a) Douglas Aircraft.
(b) President Truman.
(d) General Douglas MacArthur.
15. John von Neumann's original game theory was extended to find an equilibrium solution to what kind of games?
(a) Non-zero sum, two person games.
(b) Zero-sum, two-person games.
(c) Two-person, zero-sum, and non-zero sum games.
(d) N-person, zero-sum, and non-zero sum games.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides Russell, who else advocated for preventative war during the Cold War?
2. What is it called when both rational opposing parties choose an equal division in a game?
3. What war between the Allied and Axis powers was going on when von Neumann was invited to become part of the Manhattan Project?
4. How many prisoner's dilemmas were played in the game's experiment, according to details in Chapter 6?
5. What was the first name of von Neumann's second wife?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)