|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kareem and Sultana talked to their children about women and their role in Saudi society, what was their main message?
2. Despite the fallout from her first book, why did Sultana know in her heart that the book needed to be written?
3. According to Sultana, what were the main duties of King Fahd?
4. In Chapter 1, why did Kareem come home in an angry rush and Sultana feared that he had learned of her book?
5. When Sultana found unexpected, forbidden items among Maha's possessions, who did Sultana suspect had given them to her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What types of stories did Sultana tell her daughters on the plane, and how did they react?
2. Describe the London psychiatrist's reaction to Kareem's offer to come work for the family in Saudi Arabia, and how Sultana felt about it.
3. Describe why Sultana reacted as she did when she heard that two men were trampled to death at Makkah.
4. When the family was in the final days of their holy pilgrimage and came to the Plain of Mina, explain what was being done with hundreds of goats and other animals and how Amani reacted when she arrived and witnessed what was going on there.
5. In explaining a woman's place in Saudi society to their children, describe the example Kareem gave of the Prophet Mohammad's opinion on the subject and Sultana's explanation of what the Koran says about a woman's place among men.
6. When Sultana told her daughters stories on the plane during their holy pilgrimage, how did their reaction make Sultana feel?
7. Explain why Maha went to London and who accompanied her.
8. What forbidden items did Sultana discover among Maha's possessions, and who did she believe gave them to her?
9. Explain the effects that the Gulf War had on the women of Saudi Arabia, and Sultana's daughter, Maha, in particular.
10. Describe the purification process that faithful Muslims observe before their holy pilgrimage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Recall Amani's animal obsession. To what extent did Amani go to acquire animals for her collection? How did her family deal with her love of animals? What ultimatum did her family give her after her love of animals turned to obsession?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what happened at the Plain of Mina, and why Amani was horrified by what was being done to animals there. What was the symbolism for Muslims of the practice Amani witnessed?
Essay Topic 3
Early in the book, Sultana wondered if her daughter, Maha, and her sister Sara's daughter, Nashwa, had been switched at birth. What similarities to Sara did Maha display as a child? What similarities to Sultana did Nashwa display as a young adult?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)