|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Amani's love of animals test her family's patience?
2. After arriving in London, where did Maha immediately go?
3. Who accompanied Maha to London?
4. What was Sultana's biggest worry with the publication of her first book?
5. What is the Kaaba? .
Short Essay Questions
1. In explaining a woman's place in Saudi society to their children, describe the example Kareem gave of the Prophet Mohammad's opinion on the subject and Sultana's explanation of what the Koran says about a woman's place among men.
2. As Sultana gazed upon a photo of her uncle, the king of Saudi Arabia, Fahd ibn Abdul Aziz, what thoughts and feelings did she have about the man's character?
3. At the end of the family's holy pilgrimage, Sultana had great worries about Amani's future. Explain why Sultana feared that Amani might become a religious extremist?
4. Describe the London psychiatrist's reaction to Kareem's offer to come work for the family in Saudi Arabia, and how Sultana felt about it.
5. Explain how Sultana felt that the strict segregation of Saudi Arabia affected society.
6. Describe how Sultana's father, brother and husband reacted as they read passages from her book out loud at the family meeting.
7. Explain the circumstances that led to Sultana's exposure as the author of Princess.
8. What forbidden items did Sultana discover among Maha's possessions, and who did she believe gave them to her?
9. How did Maha react to the restrictions her parents placed on her in regard to her relationship with Aisha?
10. Describe why Sultana feared that Amani might turn out like her cousin, Lawand.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Princess Sultana's passion in life is supporting women of Saudi society in their quest for equal rights and fair treatment by men. Cite four examples from the book of how women in Saudi Arabia were oppressed or mistreated by men.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, stories of horrific acts against women are told. Recall the actions and attitudes toward women of two men, Ali and Yousif, and explain how each of them felt toward women and their role in Saudi society. How are they the same? How are they different?
Essay Topic 3
Sultana desired for the entire family to attend the holy pilgrimage to Makkah, but Kareem was unwilling to attend.
Part 1) Explain why a dream Kareem had scared him so much that he was afraid to attend the pilgrimage.
Part 2) Describe why Sultana feared that Kareem's dream had come true and how she reacted when she learned that it had not.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)