|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Sultana became distressed over problems with her children, how did she begin to damage herself physically?
(a) She gorged herself on fatty foods and developed heart disease.
(b) She began cutting herself.
(c) She started taking drugs.
(d) She began twisting and pulling out her hair.
2. To where did Jafer and Fayza flee together?
3. How was Sultana's upbringing different from those of her children?
(a) Sultana grew up in a time of great poverty.
(b) Sultana's father and mother were strictly religious.
(c) Sultana's mother died during childbirth so she never knew a mother's love.
(d) Sultana grew up in a boarding school in Switzerland.
4. Since Ali had divorced his wife, Nada, three times, why did he need his sisters' help?
(a) He knew she was in love with another man and wanted them to talk to her.
(b) He wanted to plan a romantic way to win her back.
(c) He needed lessons in being a better husband.
(d) She needed to wed and be divorced from another man before she could marry Ali again.
5. What would have happened to Reema if she ever officially divorced her husband?
(a) Women in Saudi Arabia are never granted divorces.
(b) She could face execution.
(c) She would be exiled from the country.
(d) She would lose custody of her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Fatma's family react to Sultana's intrusion into their lives?
2. What happened between Sultana and Kareem when she returned home with Fatma?
3. After what event did Sultana and her family rest in their villa in Cairo?
4. When Fatma gave Sultana the warning from her dream, how did Sultana interpret the message?
5. What did Reema suspect was wrong with her husband, Saleem?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happened to Jafer and Fayza after they decided to elope.
2. What was the "Wonder Garment" that Sultana found, and where did she find it?
3. Fatma, Sultana's permanent housekeeper in Cairo, told Sultana about a dream she had. What was the message of the dream and how did Sultana interpret the message?
4. When Sultana went to speak with Fatma's daughter, what was the outcome?
5. How did Sultana describe her sister, Reema's, appearance and demeanor that made her different from all the other sisters in the family?
6. Sultana had very specific feelings and thoughts about her husband, Kareem, throughout the course of Chapter 9. What were some of her feelings and thoughts, and how did she ultimately feel about being married to a man like Kareem?
7. Explain what obstacle Ali faced after divorcing his wife, Nada, for the third time.
8. After the family's holy pilgrimage, a sandstorm prohibited them from returning to Riyadh and they travel to their vacation home in Jeddah. Explain how Jeddah was different from Riyadh in regard to its restrictions on women.
9. In the weeks after the holy pilgrimage, Sultana began to see great changes in Amani's actions and personality. Describe some of Amani's actions and personality changes that frightened Sultana and made her fear that Amani might one day join an extremist terrorist cult.
10. Sultana blamed Amani's upbringing for her extreme religious conversion. Explain the differences in the economic climate between the time of Sultana's childhood and that of Amani.
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)