|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After arriving in London, where did Maha immediately go?
(a) To a posh resort.
(b) To see long-lost family.
(c) To a mental institution.
(d) To a safehouse.
2. After the first day of the pilgrimage, what sounds did Sultana hear coming from Amani's room?
(a) The sound of loud and fervent prayer.
(b) The sound of animals that Amani and snuck along on the pilgrimage.
(c) The sound of Maha and Amani arguing about the existence of God.
(d) The sound of chanting that Sultana associated with witchcraft.
3. Who accompanied Maha to London?
(a) Her grandparents.
(b) Her older brother and an aunt.
(c) Her parents.
(d) Her sisters.
4. On the plane trip portion of the holy pilgrimage, what stories did Sultana tell her daughters?
(a) Stories of children being hurt or kidnapped during the holy pilgrimage.
(b) Stories about their poor ancestors and how proud she was of them.
(c) Stories of how Allah had blessed her life.
(d) Stories of their childhood and how much she sacrificed for them.
5. After Kareem confronted Noorah about her interactions with Maha, how did Sultana feel about Noorah's despair?
(a) Sultana was angry with Kareem for causing his mother pain.
(b) Sultana was devastated that her mother-in-law was hurt.
(c) Sultana was furious with Maha.
(d) Sultana took pleasure in Noorah's despair.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Kareem and Sultana talked to their children about women and their role in Saudi society, what was their main message?
2. What happened when Sultana confronted Kareem about his attitude toward the pilgrimage?
3. Why did Sultana fear that Amani would turn out like her cousin Lawand?
4. What personal decision did Maha make after spying on a Saudi man through a peephole?
5. What reason did Sultana give her children for the plight of women in Saudi Arabia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the book Princess affected the relationship between Kareem and Sultana.
2. Explain why Maha went to London and who accompanied her.
3. Describe how Amani's family and servants catered to her love of animals.
4. Explain why Sultana wondered if her daughter, Amani, was switched at birth with her sister's daughter, Nashwa?
5. As Sultana gazed upon a photo of her uncle, the king of Saudi Arabia, Fahd ibn Abdul Aziz, what thoughts and feelings did she have about the man's character?
6. Describe why Sultana reacted as she did when she heard that two men were trampled to death at Makkah.
7. Describe the purification process that faithful Muslims observe before their holy pilgrimage.
8. In the end, explain what the family decided to do about Sultana and the book and how they treated her.
9. Explain Sultana's conflicting feelings about the effect her book, Princess, had on her family.
10. Explain how Sultana felt that the strict segregation of Saudi Arabia affected society.
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)