|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Amani attempt to sabotage her family when they went hunting?
(a) She called the police and reported them.
(b) She dismantled their gins and threw ammunition away.
(c) She hid their car keys and made it impossible to leave.
(d) She refused to eat or speak until they agreed to cancel their hunting trip.
2. After reading Maha's story, what realization was made by her family?
(a) That she does not want to be circumcised.
(b) That she is in love with a boy below her social class.
(c) That she is a lesbian.
(d) That she is fearful of marriage.
3. What dream did Sultana have about Amani's future?
(a) She dreamed that Amani ran away and never again spoke to her.
(b) She dreamed that Amani married and had a happy life.
(c) She dreamed that Amani would marry but be widowed at a young age.
(d) She dreamed that she joined an extremist terrorist cult.
4. What did Maha say was her reason for taking such an item (or items) with her to work?
(a) For protection from the police.
(b) To seem cool to the other workers at the hospital.
(c) It was the only free time she had away from her parents' watchful eyes.
(d) As an escape from the hardships of her life.
5. How did Sultana react when she pulled back the sheets covering the men who were trampled to death?
(a) She began to tear her hair out in grief.
(b) She said nothing, but quickly ran away in terror.
(c) She shocked everyone around her by laughing.
(d) She fainted.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Prologue, why does Sultana study the photo of King Fahd?
2. To what city did Sultana and her family make the traditional pilgrimage of the Muslim faith?
3. What specific feelings toward women did Yousif express to Kareem?
4. Among the purification rituals before the holy pilgrimage, what was not allowed?
5. During the family's holy pilgrimage, what was the significance of visiting Mount Arafat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Sultana wondered if her daughter, Amani, was switched at birth with her sister's daughter, Nashwa?
2. Explain mut'a, the cruel and selfish custom practiced by the depraved father of Maha's friend, Aisha.
3. Explain how Sultana felt that the strict segregation of Saudi Arabia affected society.
4. Describe how Amani's family and servants catered to her love of animals.
5. When Kareem bumped into an old friend from school name Yousif, he discovered that the man was quite different from the boy he knew. Explain Yousif's opinion of women in Saudi Arabia and describe Kareem's reaction to learning about his old friend's ideas about right and wrong.
6. Describe Sultana's experience of purification before the holy pilgrimage.
7. When the family was in the final days of their holy pilgrimage and came to the Plain of Mina, explain what was being done with hundreds of goats and other animals and how Amani reacted when she arrived and witnessed what was going on there.
8. Describe the London psychiatrist's reaction to Kareem's offer to come work for the family in Saudi Arabia, and how Sultana felt about it.
9. Describe the story Maha wrote while in London.
10. Describe the purification process that faithful Muslims observe before their holy pilgrimage.
This section contains 999 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)