|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On their journey in Chapter 9, what is the first landmark causes Peter to worry that he is lost?
2. What does everyone eat for breakfast in Chapter 12?
3. Why do Trumpkin and the Pevensies turn around and go back the way they came when they get close to crossing the river?
4. When Lucy wakes Susan in Chapter 10, how does she respond?
5. In Chapter 11, as the Pevensies contemplate splitting up the party, who does Trumpkin plan on following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Aslan's How as it is related in Chapter 7.
2. Why do the Narnians decide to go to Aslan's How in Chapter 7?
3. Describe the terrain the Pevensies and Trumpkin travel over near the gorge of the Rush in Chapter 10?
4. When the Pevensies and Trumpkin fall under attack in Chapter 10 and have to retreat the way they came, how does Lucy respond?
5. In Chapter 10, what reason does Aslan give Lucy for showing himself to just her first rather than making a triumphant entrance to everyone the way he did during Lucy's last sojourn in Narnia?
6. In Chapter 11, as the Pevensies are considering splitting up, who does Trumpkin claim allegiance to first and foremost?
7. What does Peter say to Aslan in Chapter 11, once he is able to see him?
8. What are some of the reasons that Trumpkin disbelieves Lucy's sighting of Aslan in Chapter 9?
9. Why does Susan hesitate to kill the bear approaching them in Chapter 9?
10. Describe the werewolf who attends the council with Nikabrik and Caspian in Chapter 12.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the pursuit of power is central to the novel, Prince Caspian. Many important characters are pursuing power, however, they are usually foiled in their attempts to attain this power. Meanwhile, other characters who are not intent upon achieving power, find that they end up with it. Using at least three character examples, illustrate how Lewis establishes a premise on the pursuit of power. Discuss how Lewis's view on the pursuit of power is relevant to today.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view utilized by C.S. Lewis in Prince Caspian. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Lewis may have selected the view he did and how the view employed was effective in the development of important themes. Make sure to cite specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
In Prince Caspian, much focus is given to the issue of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Lewis highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to good versus evil.
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)