|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the sighting of Aslan in Chapter 9, how does the party decide which direction to go?
2. Why do Trumpkin and the Pevensies turn around and go back the way they came when they get close to crossing the river?
3. Which of the following is not one of the Narnian star constellations that Lucy recognizes the night they stay on Glasswater Creek shore?
4. Who is dispatched to meet whoever the horn may call at Lantern Waste in Chapter 7?
5. In Chapter 7, what persuades Caspian to blow Susan's horn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What possible explanation does Trumpkin give for Peter's lack of recognition of the landscape on their journey in Chapter 9?
2. As Caspian awaits the council at Dancing Lawn in Chapter 7, how is his daily life different from what he is accustomed to at Miraz's castle?
3. Describe the werewolf who attends the council with Nikabrik and Caspian in Chapter 12.
4. In Chapter 11, after Aslan gives a mighty roar what happens?
5. How does Susan feel when she can finally see Aslan in Chapter 11?
6. What are the first words Aslan speaks to Edmund?
7. In Chapter 11, as the Pevensies are considering splitting up, who does Trumpkin claim allegiance to first and foremost?
8. Why is Edmund an adept fencer when he faces Trumpkin in Chapter 8?
9. Why is Nikabrik initially prejudice against Doctor Cornelius?
10. What are some of the reasons that Trumpkin disbelieves Lucy's sighting of Aslan in Chapter 9?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Prince Caspian, Lewis utilizes the popular mythical figure of Bacchus as an important character in the end of the novel. Discuss how the myths of Bacchus as established in literature at large affect how his character is viewed in the book. Identify and discuss any inferences Lewis makes in the book to Bacchus's persona outside of the novel and what affect those inferences have upon the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view utilized by C.S. Lewis in Prince Caspian. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Lewis may have selected the view he did and how the view employed was effective in the development of important themes. Make sure to cite specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
What is C.S. Lewis's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure to discuss the literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)