|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As it begins to get dark on their first night on the island, what do the children do first to prepare for night?
2. Who is the author of Prince Caspian?
3. What race is Trufflehunter?
4. In Chapter 3, why is the Dwarf initially uneasy in the castle ruins?
5. What do gifts does Prince Caspian receive from his tutor in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the appearance of Doctor Cornelius as given in Chapter 4.
2. In Chapter 6, for what reason does Trufflehunter suppose that the Trees have gone into a deep sleep?
3. What magical power is attributed to Susan's horn?
4. Why are the Telmarines afraid of the sea?
5. Describe the treasure room as the Pevensie children find it in Chapter 2.
6. In Chapter 1, which Pevensie child tries to persuade the others to save their sandwiches and why?
7. Why is Susan sad after they find the chessman in the castle ruins?
8. Why does Trufflehunter believe it is appropriate for Prince Caspian to become King over Narnia?
9. Describe the appearance of the soldiers in Chapter 3.
10. How did Doctor Cornelius procure Susan's horn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many ways, King Miraz serves as the character foil to Caspian. Use specific examples from the book to illustrate how their characterizations are in antithesis to each other and how these characterizations are strengthened when shown in contrast with each other.
Essay Topic 2
One recurrent theme in Prince Caspian is that of respect and reverence for authority figures such as Aslan, Miraz, the White Witch and the Pevensies. Using specific textual examples, compare and contrast at least two approaches or attitudes toward respect and reverence as demonstrated by specific characters. Discuss what, if any, overarching message C.S. Lewis is conveying about the importance or unimportance of respect and reverence.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view utilized by C.S. Lewis in Prince Caspian. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Lewis may have selected the view he did and how the view employed was effective in the development of important themes. Make sure to cite specific textual examples to support your assertions.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)