|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of animal is Patterwig?
2. In Chapter 2, how do the children open the door they find in the castle ruins?
3. What race is Trufflehunter?
4. In which country do the Pevensie children normally reside?
5. As Prince Caspian rides away from the castle in Chapter 5, what sight does he see?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between a Black Dwarf and a Red Dwarf?
2. Why is Susan's horn not in the treasure room in Chapter 2?
3. Describe the treasure room as the Pevensie children find it in Chapter 2.
4. Why is Glenstorm so sure that Caspian's coming signals a war between the Narnians and the Telmarines?
5. Describe the first impression the children have of the island as described in Chapter 1.
6. Why does Trufflehunter believe it is appropriate for Prince Caspian to become King over Narnia?
7. Why is Susan sad after they find the chessman in the castle ruins?
8. Describe the appearance of the soldiers in Chapter 3.
9. Describe the appearance of the Dwarf, as described in Chapter 3.
10. What magical power is attributed to Susan's horn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout Prince Caspian, there are several journeys made by different characters. Discuss at least two specific journeys and how they could be viewed as extended metaphors for character development of the characters who undertake these journeys.
Essay Topic 2
One recurrent theme in Prince Caspian is that of respect and reverence for authority figures such as Aslan, Miraz, the White Witch and the Pevensies. Using specific textual examples, compare and contrast at least two approaches or attitudes toward respect and reverence as demonstrated by specific characters. Discuss what, if any, overarching message C.S. Lewis is conveying about the importance or unimportance of respect and reverence.
Essay Topic 3
What is C.S. Lewis's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure to discuss the literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)