|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the children decide to leave the treasure room in Chapter 2?
2. When Caspian awakens in Chapter 5, what does Nikabrik want to do to him?
3. What is Prince Caspian's tutor's name?
4. Who is the author of Prince Caspian?
5. What race is Prince Caspian's tutor?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, why is the Dwarf initially apprehensive about the island, woods, and ruins?
2. Describe the first impression the children have of the island as described in Chapter 1.
3. Describe the appearance of the soldiers in Chapter 3.
4. How did Doctor Cornelius procure Susan's horn?
5. What character trait are badgers known for, as described by Trufflehunter in Chapter 5?
6. In Chapter 6, for what reason does Trufflehunter suppose that the Trees have gone into a deep sleep?
7. In Chapter 4, in what ways does Doctor Cornelius foresee Prince Caspian helping the Old Narnians?
8. Why are the Telmarines afraid of the sea?
9. In Chapter 1, which Pevensie child tries to persuade the others to save their sandwiches and why?
10. In the beginning of Chapter 1, why are all of the Pevensie children feeling gloomy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme that runs as an undercurrent in Prince Caspian that is applicable to contemporary issues today is that of racism as particularly seen between the Telmarines and the Old Narnians. Using textual examples, discuss how C.S. Lewis establishes this theme and how it is relate-able to racism as seen in popular culture today.
Essay Topic 2
The theme of the pursuit of power is central to the novel, Prince Caspian. Many important characters are pursuing power, however, they are usually foiled in their attempts to attain this power. Meanwhile, other characters who are not intent upon achieving power, find that they end up with it. Using at least three character examples, illustrate how Lewis establishes a premise on the pursuit of power. Discuss how Lewis's view on the pursuit of power is relevant to today.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the dramatic structure of Prince Caspian. Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and the denouement.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)