|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Dwarf agree to tell his story before the children relate their story in Chapter 3?
2. What is the first clue the children find on the island that leads them to believe it was once inhabited?
3. At the end of Chapter 5, what do Nikabrik, Trumpkin and Trufflehunter decide to do with Caspian?
4. In Chapter 2, how do the children open the door they find in the castle ruins?
5. In Chapter 2, when the children discover ruins of a castle, what are their initial feelings toward it?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 3, why is the Dwarf initially apprehensive about the island, woods, and ruins?
2. Describe the first impression the children have of the island as described in Chapter 1.
3. How have Doctor Cornelius's ancestors survived the rule of the Telmarines?
4. Describe the appearance of the Dwarf, as described in Chapter 3.
5. What magical power is attributed to Susan's horn?
6. Why is Glenstorm so sure that Caspian's coming signals a war between the Narnians and the Telmarines?
7. As the Dwarf begins his story in Chapter 3, why are the Pevensie children confused?
8. In Chapter 6, for what reason does Trufflehunter suppose that the Trees have gone into a deep sleep?
9. In the beginning of Chapter 1, why are all of the Pevensie children feeling gloomy?
10. Describe the Pevensie children's first impression of the castle ruins on the island.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Prince Caspian, Lewis utilizes the popular mythical figure of Bacchus as an important character in the end of the novel. Discuss how the myths of Bacchus as established in literature at large affect how his character is viewed in the book. Identify and discuss any inferences Lewis makes in the book to Bacchus's persona outside of the novel and what affect those inferences have upon the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the point of view utilized by C.S. Lewis in Prince Caspian. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Lewis may have selected the view he did and how the view employed was effective in the development of important themes. Make sure to cite specific textual examples to support your assertions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of setting within Prince Caspian. Make sure to discuss at least three different settings and how the descriptions of those settings are integral in the development of the themes and characters.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)