|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do gifts does Prince Caspian receive from his tutor in Chapter 5?
2. What instruments does Prince Caspian learn to play in Chapter 5?
3. Where do the Three Bulgy Bears live?
4. How did the Fauns hear about Caspian and come to him in Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 1, when the children feel as though they are being pulled, what do they do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the Telmarines afraid of the sea?
2. Why is Susan's horn not in the treasure room in Chapter 2?
3. How did Doctor Cornelius procure Susan's horn?
4. How have Doctor Cornelius's ancestors survived the rule of the Telmarines?
5. What do the Pevensie children find to the worst part of sleeping out of doors in Chapter 3?
6. Why doesn't Trufflehunter want to let the Ogre and Hag know about Caspian and invite them to join their force in Chapter 6?
7. Describe the appearance of the soldiers in Chapter 3.
8. Describe the appearance of the Dwarf, as described in Chapter 3.
9. In Chapter 4, in what ways does Doctor Cornelius foresee Prince Caspian helping the Old Narnians?
10. In Chapter 6, for what reason does Trufflehunter suppose that the Trees have gone into a deep sleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Prince Caspian, much focus is given to the issue of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Lewis highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to good versus evil.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, C.S. Lewis sets forth several conflicting views of allegiance. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose and importance of allegiance as demonstrated by one of the following character pairings:
a) Nikabrik and Trumpkin
b) King Miraz and King Caspian
c) Peter and Lord Glozelle
Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion, address whether or not you feel that C.S. Lewis is purporting one view of allegiance as being correct or true.
Essay Topic 3
A theme that runs as an undercurrent in Prince Caspian that is applicable to contemporary issues today is that of racism as particularly seen between the Telmarines and the Old Narnians. Using textual examples, discuss how C.S. Lewis establishes this theme and how it is relate-able to racism as seen in popular culture today.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)