|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, what does Glenstorm think the meeting at Dancing Lawn should be used for?
2. What is the name of Peter's sword?
3. How many sons does Glenstorm have?
4. As Prince Caspian rides away from the castle in Chapter 5, what sight does he see?
5. Why don't Caspian's gentlemen-in-waiting wake up when he enters to supper room in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, which Pevensie child tries to persuade the others to save their sandwiches and why?
2. In Chapter 3, why is the Dwarf initially apprehensive about the island, woods, and ruins?
3. How have Doctor Cornelius's ancestors survived the rule of the Telmarines?
4. Describe the first impression the children have of the island as described in Chapter 1.
5. Why does Trufflehunter believe it is appropriate for Prince Caspian to become King over Narnia?
6. In Chapter 6, for what reason does Trufflehunter suppose that the Trees have gone into a deep sleep?
7. In the beginning of Chapter 1, why are all of the Pevensie children feeling gloomy?
8. What is the difference between a Black Dwarf and a Red Dwarf?
9. Why is Susan's horn not in the treasure room in Chapter 2?
10. How did Doctor Cornelius procure Susan's horn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the pursuit of power is central to the novel, Prince Caspian. Many important characters are pursuing power, however, they are usually foiled in their attempts to attain this power. Meanwhile, other characters who are not intent upon achieving power, find that they end up with it. Using at least three character examples, illustrate how Lewis establishes a premise on the pursuit of power. Discuss how Lewis's view on the pursuit of power is relevant to today.
Essay Topic 2
Honor and "gentlemanly" or chivalrous behavior is one of the themes highlighted in Prince Caspian. Discuss how the characters of Peter and Miraz illustrate the dichotomy what is honorable behavior and what is not throughout the novel. Use specific textual examples to illustrate the characters' views of honor as exhibited by their statements and actions. Based on these two example, does C. S. Lewis create an overarching definition of what honor is?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the point of view utilized by C.S. Lewis in Prince Caspian. As this was a deliberate choice, discuss why Lewis may have selected the view he did and how the view employed was effective in the development of important themes. Make sure to cite specific textual examples to support your assertions.
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)