|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Naiads?
2. Why does Prince Caspian dislike Queen Prunaprismia?
3. What do the children eat for dinner on their first night on the island?
4. What service does Patterwig perform for Caspian, Trufflehunter and the Dwarfs in Chapter 6?
5. How do the children see what is behind the door in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Susan's horn not in the treasure room in Chapter 2?
2. Describe the appearance of Doctor Cornelius as given in Chapter 4.
3. Describe the appearance of the Dwarf, as described in Chapter 3.
4. What magical power is attributed to Susan's horn?
5. What character trait are badgers known for, as described by Trufflehunter in Chapter 5?
6. Why does Trufflehunter believe it is appropriate for Prince Caspian to become King over Narnia?
7. What is the difference between a Black Dwarf and a Red Dwarf?
8. In Chapter 1, which Pevensie child tries to persuade the others to save their sandwiches and why?
9. Why is Susan sad after they find the chessman in the castle ruins?
10. In Chapter 3, why is the Dwarf initially apprehensive about the island, woods, and ruins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Prince Caspian, Lewis utilizes the popular mythical figure of Bacchus as an important character in the end of the novel. Discuss how the myths of Bacchus as established in literature at large affect how his character is viewed in the book. Identify and discuss any inferences Lewis makes in the book to Bacchus's persona outside of the novel and what affect those inferences have upon the story.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the dramatic structure of Prince Caspian. Use textual evidence to designate the expository, rising action, the climax, falling action and the denouement.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Prince Caspian, C.S. Lewis has several prominent animal characters that have very specific and unique human attributes. Write an essay that describes two or more of these characters and illustrates how they have taken on human-like characterizations. Also address why C.S. Lewis would have given them these characterizations and how they are effective in adding to the overall creation of the mythical land of Narnia.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)