|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the castle the children remember from when they were Kings and Queens of Narnia?
2. What injuries do the Pevensie children sustain while eating their breakfast in Chapter 3?
3. Who is the author of Prince Caspian?
4. What gift does Caspian accept from the Three Bulgy Bears?
5. What was the name of the chief mole when the Pevensie children planted the apple orchard during their reign in Narnia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between a Black Dwarf and a Red Dwarf?
2. What do the Pevensie children find to the worst part of sleeping out of doors in Chapter 3?
3. Why is Glenstorm so sure that Caspian's coming signals a war between the Narnians and the Telmarines?
4. Describe the treasure room as the Pevensie children find it in Chapter 2.
5. Why is Susan sad after they find the chessman in the castle ruins?
6. How did Doctor Cornelius procure Susan's horn?
7. In Chapter 4, in what ways does Doctor Cornelius foresee Prince Caspian helping the Old Narnians?
8. As the Dwarf begins his story in Chapter 3, why are the Pevensie children confused?
9. Describe the appearance of the soldiers in Chapter 3.
10. Describe the first impression the children have of the island as described in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Prince Caspian, much focus is given to the issue of right versus wrong. Using specific characters and situations, discuss how Lewis highlights this dichotomy and specifically how the idea of right versus wrong relates to good versus evil.
Essay Topic 2
What is C.S. Lewis's writing style? Discuss both the mechanical aspect of his writing and his "voice" throughout the novel. Make sure to discuss the literary tools and devices he relies on most and what specific parts of the text reflect his voice.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, C.S. Lewis sets forth several conflicting views of allegiance. Compare and contrast the specific view on the purpose and importance of allegiance as demonstrated by one of the following character pairings:
a) Nikabrik and Trumpkin
b) King Miraz and King Caspian
c) Peter and Lord Glozelle
Give specific textual information on how these characters exhibit and come to these views. Also in the conclusion, address whether or not you feel that C.S. Lewis is purporting one view of allegiance as being correct or true.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)