|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is the first to die to the swarm?
2. Why does Jack not believe Ricky when he first tells him that Xymos has created assemblers capable of creating molecules?
3. Who does the swarm take shape to mimic on the evening of Day 6?
4. Why do Julia, Ricky, Vince, and Bobby sleep with the lights on?
5. Which character is the second to die to the swarm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the team safest in the desert when the wind speed is high?
2. How does Jack react when he realizes that Xymos is using bacteria to create molecules?
3. What happens when the three survivors take shelter in the cars?
4. Why are Jack and the others unable to contact the outside world when they return to the facility on Day 7?
5. What does the swarm look like when Jack first sees it?
6. Where do Jack, Mae, and Bobby find Rosie's body when they go back outside on Day 6?
7. Why are the scientists unable to collect the units when they become deactivated at night when there is no sun to power them?
8. What are Jack and Ricky discussing when the alarm goes off?
9. What does Julia look like after Jack manages to separate the swarm from her body?
10. What is Charley's health like when he joins the team for dinner on Day 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jack was in charge of a team of people when he worked for MediaTronics. He was responsible for developing PREDPREY and other programs. To him programming was a hot field and he was one of the leading people in it. Write an essay that explains the duties Jack was responsible for at his old job. What type of programming team did he lead? What sort of programs did his team develop? What types of things did he have to manage on a day-to-day basis? Did he enjoy being in charge of these things? Why or why not? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Ellen is a character who is supportive and intelligent. She is the one adult Jack feels like he can rely on. Write an essay detailing the ways in which Ellen is important to Jack, and how she affects any other characters and the plot. Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Death occurs frequently in Prey. Write an essay exploring the reasons behind the deaths in the book. Could they have been prevented? How? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)