|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character does Jack save from the swarm in the desert?
2. How large was the logo the xenon atoms formed during the IBM experiment?
3. What does the virus liquid that Jack proposes they drink smell like?
4. Who wanted to keep the swarm alive when it was suggested the first time that it should be destroyed?
5. What is the half-life of Selenium?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jack and Mae kill off the swarms?
2. Why are Jack and the others unable to contact the outside world when they return to the facility on Day 7?
3. How does Jack feel when he sees the swarms hunting in the desert for the first time?
4. How is the manufactured swarm able to fly?
5. Why is the swarm self-sustaining?
6. What is Charley's health like when he joins the team for dinner on Day 6?
7. Why does Jack decide to go back out into the desert once the sun goes down on Day 6?
8. How does Jack save Charley and himself and get back to the compound before the swarm can catch them?
9. Why are the isotopes that the team retrieves a potent weapon against the swarms?
10. Who does Jack see the swarm mimic when he is inside their nest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Honesty is a trait that is scarcely found in the older characters in Prey. Jack is an honest man while Julia is a dishonest woman. The same goes for Mae and Ricky. Write an essay exploring the ideas of honesty and truth. How does honesty play into the plot of the story? Which characters are the most truthful, open, and honest? Which are the least truthful? Which are the most secretive? Why? Could being honest have saved the lives of some of the characters in Prey? Why or why not? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Jack and Julia's children are put in a difficult position in Prey. Their mother is rarely home for dinner and their father is the only parent they ever spend time with. The children can tell that something is wrong with their mother, yet they can do little about it. Write an essay detailing the things Nicole, Eric, and Amanda are put through. Why does Julia violently spank Amanda? Why does Julia refuse to hold Amanda when she comes home from the hospital? Why do the older children say their mother is crazy? What sorts of things has she done that makes them think such a thing? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
There are multiple antagonists in Prey. The swarms developed by Xymos are the most powerful and daunting of them all. Write an essay explaining how the swarms are the major antagonist throughout the story. What sort of trouble do the swarms create? How does the evolutionary process the swarm goes through affect the protagonists in the story? Why is the swarm more and more difficult to kill as the plot progresses? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)