|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack claim caused the explosion at the Xymos fabrication facility?
2. What is the half-life of Rhenium?
3. Who keeps trying to kiss Jack in order to spread the nanos?
4. Who wanted to test the swarm for intelligence early on before it started evolving?
5. How does Jack feel when he learns the truth about the Xymos manufacturing process?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Julia look like after Jack manages to separate the swarm from her body?
2. How was the swarm able to evolve with Julia's help before Jack arrived at the facility?
3. How is Mae able to cover up the truth from Julia when she comes in the room and asks what she and Jack are doing on Day 7?
4. How does Jack find out that the swarm release into the desert was intentional?
5. What does the swarm look like when Jack first sees it?
6. Why is the team safest in the desert when the wind speed is high?
7. What are Jack and Ricky discussing when the alarm goes off?
8. Why is the swarm self-sustaining?
9. Why does the team in the desert take refuge in the storage unit?
10. Why are Jack and the others unable to contact the outside world when they return to the facility on Day 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Love is an element that pulses throughout Prey. Write an essay exploring the ideas of love and redemption. How is Julia redeemed right before death? How does she hold on to the love she has for her family despite being a host for the swarm? Why does Jack still love Julia despite all that has happened? What good memories of her does he still posses? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Several of the characters in Prey are overly concerned with accumulating wealth and success. Eventually these obsessions lead to their downfall. Write an essay explaining how wealth and success play into the lives of Jack, Julia, Ellen, Ricky, and others. Which characters strive the most to be wealthy and successful? Why? Which characters obsess to the point at which these elements become their downfall? Why? What happens to them? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
There are multiple antagonists in Prey. The swarms developed by Xymos are the most powerful and daunting of them all. Write an essay explaining how the swarms are the major antagonist throughout the story. What sort of trouble do the swarms create? How does the evolutionary process the swarm goes through affect the protagonists in the story? Why is the swarm more and more difficult to kill as the plot progresses? Provide specific examples from the text to support your position.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)