• Pretty-shield comes to see Frank Linderman at the Crow Agency with Goes-together, who will be her interpreter.
• Linderman learns that he must ask Pretty-Shield direct questions because of her circuitous story-telling.
• Pretty-Shield tells Linderman that a man who married a woman had the authority to claim her unmarried sisters as wives.
• Pretty-Shield was born across the Missouri river.
• Her mother was named Kills-in-the-night and her father was Crazy-sister-in-law; she was the fourth of eleven children.
• When Pretty-Shield was young, she was happy and the Crow were a happy people.
• Everything changed because the Crows split between Mountain Crows and River Crows.
• Pretty-Shield was a Mountain Crow and she left to live with her aunt who was a River Crow when she was three.
• The Crow would move often and Pretty-Shield liked that.
• When the Crow moved, they often moved to the mountain and ate well.
This section contains 2,559 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)