|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Owen say before he makes the cut on Johnny?
2. What city do Owen and Johnny travel to on their holiday from school?
3. What does Owen keep detailed notes on in his journal?
4. With everything that goes wrong in the pageant, how does the audience respond to the show?
5. As an adult, what board was Johnny running for re-election in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Owen's favorite skill in basketball, and how does he accomplish it?
2. What chilling event happens after Owen believes he has seen his own death?
3. What happens to the boys' grades once they get to the University?
4. How does Barb Wiggin treat Owen, and what is his reaction?
5. What does Owen look like when he is 16?
6. How do the boys start their trip to Boston?
7. What is ironic of Johnny's job as an adult?
8. As an adult, what is Johnny discussing with Canon Mackie?
9. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
10. What is the reaction to Mrs. Wheelwright's new television?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Overall, there are two major mindsets in the novel of how you progress through life: with caution, or with passion. In an essay, discuss at least five characters who progress through life with caution, and five characters who progress with passion. For each character, give a short explanation as to why they have landed on each list. Then, choose one character from either side of the list and argue why they should have lived their life the opposite way. What does John Irving seem to be saying is the better way to live your life? Which side of the list had happier live, better outcomes?
Essay Topic 2
Hester Eastman plays the role of an important romantic interest for both Johnny and Owen. In an essay, compare/contrast young Hester Eastman with the adolescent Hester Eastman. What characteristics did the boys find attractive about her at both ages? How would you describe the relationships that Johnny and Owen had with Hester? How were they the same? How were they different? Which relationship seemed to make more sense? Even though there were deeply unhealthy behaviors in both, which relationship could you have seen lasting longer? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Both Owen and Johnny had a tough eleventh year. In an essay, compare/contrast the characters of Owen and Johnny. How are they the same? How are they different? How are their family lives? How has family history affected each of the boys? Finally, explain the ways that the difficulties the boys experienced affected their friendship, and why you think the outcome was, or was not, expected.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)