|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tabitha purchase from the store in Boston called Jerrolds?
2. For his new sport, Owen needs a partner to help him. Who does he choose?
3. Where does Owen ask Johnny to meet him?
4. Which famous musician does Owen have an obsession with?
5. What is Hester protesting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Katherine Keeling?
2. As an adult, what is Johnny discussing with Canon Mackie?
3. What did Tabitha tell the boys about her red dress?
4. What happens when Owen, as The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, takes Scrooge to his grave?
5. As an adult, what does Johnny overhear his friend Katherine Keener's husband saying about him?
6. How does Owen react to the nuns at the academy?
7. How does Barb Wiggin treat Owen, and what is his reaction?
8. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
9. What happens with Owen's collegiate schooling after he is kicked out of Gravesend Academy?
10. What habit has Hester taken up, and how does it affect her life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Owen and Johnny had a tough eleventh year. In an essay, compare/contrast the characters of Owen and Johnny. How are they the same? How are they different? How are their family lives? How has family history affected each of the boys? Finally, explain the ways that the difficulties the boys experienced affected their friendship, and why you think the outcome was, or was not, expected.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Owen takes charge of many characters' lives. This role of leadership is a very important aspect in his life. In an essay, discuss three events in which Owen takes a leadership role, or controls another character's actions. Select another character in the novel and explain how Owen's need for control has affected their relationship. Finally, compare and contrast Owen's physicality with his personality. Why might the need to control be such an important aspect of character?
Essay Topic 3
Hester Eastman plays the role of an important romantic interest for both Johnny and Owen. In an essay, compare/contrast young Hester Eastman with the adolescent Hester Eastman. What characteristics did the boys find attractive about her at both ages? How would you describe the relationships that Johnny and Owen had with Hester? How were they the same? How were they different? Which relationship seemed to make more sense? Even though there were deeply unhealthy behaviors in both, which relationship could you have seen lasting longer? Why?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)