|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the boys throw at the statue of Mary Magdalene?
2. With everything that goes wrong in the pageant, how does the audience respond to the show?
3. Whose death causes a downward spiral for Owen?
4. Who does Owen invite to the school dance?
5. Which famous musician does Owen have an obsession with?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Barb Wiggin treat Owen, and what is his reaction?
2. What did Tabitha tell the boys about her red dress?
3. What does Owen look like when he is 16?
4. As an adult, what is Johnny discussing with Canon Mackie?
5. What happens to the boys' grades once they get to the University?
6. What does Tabitha's old singing teacher tell the boys?
7. How does Owen react to the nuns at the academy?
8. What goes wrong during the Christmas pageant?
9. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
10. How do the boys start their trip to Boston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though Hester, Owen, and Johnny have a very tight friendship, there are moments when they all begin to doubt each other. In an essay, explain why the boys (either together or individually) doubted some of the decisions that Hester was making. Why did Johnny and Hester (either together or as individuals) doubt some of the decisions that Owen was making? What is the importance of those doubts in the novel? How had their friendships managed to overcome the doubt?
Essay Topic 2
Hester Eastman plays the role of an important romantic interest for both Johnny and Owen. In an essay, compare/contrast young Hester Eastman with the adolescent Hester Eastman. What characteristics did the boys find attractive about her at both ages? How would you describe the relationships that Johnny and Owen had with Hester? How were they the same? How were they different? Which relationship seemed to make more sense? Even though there were deeply unhealthy behaviors in both, which relationship could you have seen lasting longer? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Overall, there are two major mindsets in the novel of how you progress through life: with caution, or with passion. In an essay, discuss at least five characters who progress through life with caution, and five characters who progress with passion. For each character, give a short explanation as to why they have landed on each list. Then, choose one character from either side of the list and argue why they should have lived their life the opposite way. What does John Irving seem to be saying is the better way to live your life? Which side of the list had happier live, better outcomes?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)