|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Owen doing when Johnny finds him backstage?
2. What type of establishment is Old Freddy's?
3. How does Owen develop the large muscles that he has?
4. Where does Johnny work in the summer of his first year at the University?
5. Why did Tabitha claim she could not return the item she purchased back to Jerrolds?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Katherine Keeling?
2. How do the boys start their trip to Boston?
3. What chilling event happens after Owen believes he has seen his own death?
4. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
5. What does Owen hope to do upon graduation from the University, and why?
6. How does Barb Wiggin treat Owen, and what is his reaction?
7. What happens with Owen's collegiate schooling after he is kicked out of Gravesend Academy?
8. As an adult, what is Johnny discussing with Canon Mackie?
9. What happens to the boys' grades once they get to the University?
10. What does Owen look like when he is 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Organized religion plays a major role throughout the novel, creating both conflict and resolution. Choose one of the questions below as the focus for your essay, and support your answers with examples from the text.
1) Compare/contrast the upbringing that both Owen and Johnny had with organized religion. How did their upbringings affect how they acted, and how they viewed the differently situations they encountered throughout the novel?
2) Explore at least three major events in the novel where religious conflict is introduced. What is the significance of that conflict? How is religion used at that those points? Is religion used effectively to get a message across?
3) As an adult, Johnny wavers on whether he believes in religion. What events lead him toward religion, and what events have led him away?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Owen takes charge of many characters' lives. This role of leadership is a very important aspect in his life. In an essay, discuss three events in which Owen takes a leadership role, or controls another character's actions. Select another character in the novel and explain how Owen's need for control has affected their relationship. Finally, compare and contrast Owen's physicality with his personality. Why might the need to control be such an important aspect of character?
Essay Topic 3
Johnny's stuffed armadillo becomes a symbol for the relationship that Owen and Johnny have with each other. In an essay, compare/contrast what the armadillo means to both Johnny and Owen as individuals. What do they use it for? How the physical changes in the armadillo represent the changes that happen in the boys' relationship. How the armadillo comes into play with the fruition of Owen's destiny? How does the symbol of the armadillo return?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)