|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Owen claim will have to step in if God does not make Johnny's father known to him?
2. What does Mrs. Wheelwright (Johnny's grandmother) decide to purchase after the two major deaths of the year?
3. What does Owen say about the nuns?
4. Who is Canon Mackie?
5. What do the boys throw at the statue of Mary Magdalene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Owen react to the nuns at the academy?
2. What chilling event happens after Owen believes he has seen his own death?
3. What significant events happen when Randall White is elected headmaster?
4. What does Owen look like when he is 16?
5. What happens when Johnny goes to meet Owen at the monument shop?
6. How do the boys start their trip to Boston?
7. What happens with Owen's collegiate schooling after he is kicked out of Gravesend Academy?
8. What is ironic of Johnny's job as an adult?
9. As an adult, what is Johnny discussing with Canon Mackie?
10. What does Tabitha's old singing teacher tell the boys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Owen and Johnny is a complicated one. In an essay, argue whether you believe Owen controlled the relationship selfishly, or whether he had Johnny's best interests in mind. What statement does John Irving seem to be making about friendship through Owen and Johnny's relationship? Be sure to support your theory with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Hester, Owen, and Johnny have a very tight friendship, there are moments when they all begin to doubt each other. In an essay, explain why the boys (either together or individually) doubted some of the decisions that Hester was making. Why did Johnny and Hester (either together or as individuals) doubt some of the decisions that Owen was making? What is the importance of those doubts in the novel? How had their friendships managed to overcome the doubt?
Essay Topic 3
Both pride and confidence come into play in the novel, and both have serious consequences to events within the novel. In an essay, explain the difference between pride and confidence. What effects do each characteristic typically have in situations?How does pride irrevocably changed the outcome of both Christmas productions. Finally, choose one character in the novel and explain why you would consider him or her prideful over confident. How has that pride affected this character's life? What has come of this character's pride?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)