|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Owen develop the large muscles that he has?
2. What event in Johnny's life does he feel still stuck in?
3. Who dies on the evening of the Christmas performance?
4. Whose name does Owen think that he has seen on the gravestone?
5. Why did Tabitha claim she could not return the item she purchased back to Jerrolds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction to Mrs. Wheelwright's new television?
2. What goes wrong during the Christmas pageant?
3. What does Tabitha's old singing teacher tell the boys?
4. What happens when Owen, as The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, takes Scrooge to his grave?
5. How does Barb Wiggin treat Owen, and what is his reaction?
6. What happens to the boys' grades once they get to the University?
7. Who is Katherine Keeling?
8. What habit has Hester taken up, and how does it affect her life?
9. As an adult, what is Johnny discussing with Canon Mackie?
10. How does Owen react to the nuns at the academy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Owen and Johnny had a tough eleventh year. In an essay, compare/contrast the characters of Owen and Johnny. How are they the same? How are they different? How are their family lives? How has family history affected each of the boys? Finally, explain the ways that the difficulties the boys experienced affected their friendship, and why you think the outcome was, or was not, expected.
Essay Topic 2
Both pride and confidence come into play in the novel, and both have serious consequences to events within the novel. In an essay, explain the difference between pride and confidence. What effects do each characteristic typically have in situations?How does pride irrevocably changed the outcome of both Christmas productions. Finally, choose one character in the novel and explain why you would consider him or her prideful over confident. How has that pride affected this character's life? What has come of this character's pride?
Essay Topic 3
The novel takes places in a very important moment of American history. The Vietnam War becomes both a machine to progress the story as well as a catalyst for the behaviors of many characters. Why might John Irving have decided to set the novel in this time period? Was the war used as a machine to progress the story, or was there a deeper symbolic meaning to the time setting? Support your theory with examples from the text.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)