|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Tabitha claim she could not return the item she purchased back to Jerrolds?
2. What color is Owen's father's truck?
3. As an adult, what board was Johnny running for re-election in?
4. What realization does Johnny make during the performance of "A Christmas Carol"?
5. How does Owen respond to Barb Wiggins' teasing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What chilling event happens after Owen believes he has seen his own death?
2. What does Owen hope to do upon graduation from the University, and why?
3. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
4. Who is Katherine Keeling?
5. How does Barb Wiggin treat Owen, and what is his reaction?
6. What is Owen's favorite skill in basketball, and how does he accomplish it?
7. What is ironic of Johnny's job as an adult?
8. What is the reaction to Mrs. Wheelwright's new television?
9. What has Owen done to prepare the amputation blade?
10. How do the boys start their trip to Boston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The entire novel was working toward the idea of Owen's destiny. He had been aware of his purpose from the very beginning. In an essay, explain what Owen Meany's destiny was, and the ways that he worked toward achieving it. How was Johnny Wheelwright a major part of Owen Meany's destiny? Did the ending give you a sense of satisfaction? Why or why not? Did you feel that John Irving was leading you steadily down one path - toward Owen's destiny - or did the ending come out of nowhere? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Owen takes charge of many characters' lives. This role of leadership is a very important aspect in his life. In an essay, discuss three events in which Owen takes a leadership role, or controls another character's actions. Select another character in the novel and explain how Owen's need for control has affected their relationship. Finally, compare and contrast Owen's physicality with his personality. Why might the need to control be such an important aspect of character?
Essay Topic 3
Organized religion plays a major role throughout the novel, creating both conflict and resolution. Choose one of the questions below as the focus for your essay, and support your answers with examples from the text.
1) Compare/contrast the upbringing that both Owen and Johnny had with organized religion. How did their upbringings affect how they acted, and how they viewed the differently situations they encountered throughout the novel?
2) Explore at least three major events in the novel where religious conflict is introduced. What is the significance of that conflict? How is religion used at that those points? Is religion used effectively to get a message across?
3) As an adult, Johnny wavers on whether he believes in religion. What events lead him toward religion, and what events have led him away?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)