|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brand of cigarettes does Owen smoke?
2. What is Hester protesting?
3. Which character seems to have insider information on the brewing affair between JFK and Marilyn Monroe?
4. How does Owen respond when Dan suggests that he invite his parents to the play performance?
5. Whose lines does Owen loudly whisper after the actor has forgotten them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Owen's favorite skill in basketball, and how does he accomplish it?
2. How does Barb Wiggin treat Owen, and what is his reaction?
3. As an adult, what does Johnny overhear his friend Katherine Keener's husband saying about him?
4. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
5. What happens when Owen, as The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, takes Scrooge to his grave?
6. What goes wrong during the Christmas pageant?
7. What does Tabitha's old singing teacher tell the boys?
8. How do the boys start their trip to Boston?
9. What did Tabitha tell the boys about her red dress?
10. What significant events happen when Randall White is elected headmaster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, both Owen and Johnny battle with the ideas of personal histories and family histories defining them. Compare/contrast the family histories that both boys know of themselves when they are 11. Explain the ways that both boys knowledge of themselves has changed by the end of the novel. Which boy was most affected by the knowledge - or lack thereof - of both his personal and family history? What evidence from the text supports this claim?
Essay Topic 2
Hester Eastman plays the role of an important romantic interest for both Johnny and Owen. In an essay, compare/contrast young Hester Eastman with the adolescent Hester Eastman. What characteristics did the boys find attractive about her at both ages? How would you describe the relationships that Johnny and Owen had with Hester? How were they the same? How were they different? Which relationship seemed to make more sense? Even though there were deeply unhealthy behaviors in both, which relationship could you have seen lasting longer? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy is another theme that becomes introduced into Johnny and Owen's relationship as they progress into adolescence. In an essay, explain two of the major events that prompt jealousy between the two boys and the ways that the jealously is overcome. What was it that the boys discussed/decided, if anything, to smooth out their relationship? Had Owen lived into adulthood, do you imagine that jealously would have continued to live in their relationship? What adult events might have transpired that one boy, or the other, could have been jealous of?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)