|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Owen sees his parents in the audience, what does he shout from the stage?
2. How does Owen respond when Dan suggests that he invite his parents to the play performance?
3. As an adult, where does Johnny work?
4. After what event does Owen ask Johnny to wait for him?
5. What happens when Owen takes Scrooge to his grave in "The Christmas Carol"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reaction to Mrs. Wheelwright's new television?
2. What has Owen done to prepare the amputation blade?
3. What does Owen look like when he is 16?
4. What does Tabitha's old singing teacher tell the boys?
5. What is ironic of Johnny's job as an adult?
6. What goes wrong during the Christmas pageant?
7. What habit has Hester taken up, and how does it affect her life?
8. What happens to the boys' grades once they get to the University?
9. As an adult, what does Johnny overhear his friend Katherine Keener's husband saying about him?
10. How does Owen react to the nuns at the academy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Owen and Johnny had a tough eleventh year. In an essay, compare/contrast the characters of Owen and Johnny. How are they the same? How are they different? How are their family lives? How has family history affected each of the boys? Finally, explain the ways that the difficulties the boys experienced affected their friendship, and why you think the outcome was, or was not, expected.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Hester, Owen, and Johnny have a very tight friendship, there are moments when they all begin to doubt each other. In an essay, explain why the boys (either together or individually) doubted some of the decisions that Hester was making. Why did Johnny and Hester (either together or as individuals) doubt some of the decisions that Owen was making? What is the importance of those doubts in the novel? How had their friendships managed to overcome the doubt?
Essay Topic 3
Overall, there are two major mindsets in the novel of how you progress through life: with caution, or with passion. In an essay, discuss at least five characters who progress through life with caution, and five characters who progress with passion. For each character, give a short explanation as to why they have landed on each list. Then, choose one character from either side of the list and argue why they should have lived their life the opposite way. What does John Irving seem to be saying is the better way to live your life? Which side of the list had happier live, better outcomes?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)