|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose death causes a downward spiral for Owen?
2. With everything that goes wrong in the pageant, how does the audience respond to the show?
3. What does Owen call the nuns?
4. What happens when Barb Wiggins loses control of the angel during the Christmas pageant?
5. Which famous musician does Owen have an obsession with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic of Johnny's job as an adult?
2. What has Owen done to prepare the amputation blade?
3. What does Owen look like when he is 16?
4. As an adult, what does Johnny overhear his friend Katherine Keener's husband saying about him?
5. How does Owen react to the nuns at the academy?
6. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
7. As an adult, what is Johnny discussing with Canon Mackie?
8. What habit has Hester taken up, and how does it affect her life?
9. What chilling event happens after Owen believes he has seen his own death?
10. How do the boys start their trip to Boston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Overall, there are two major mindsets in the novel of how you progress through life: with caution, or with passion. In an essay, discuss at least five characters who progress through life with caution, and five characters who progress with passion. For each character, give a short explanation as to why they have landed on each list. Then, choose one character from either side of the list and argue why they should have lived their life the opposite way. What does John Irving seem to be saying is the better way to live your life? Which side of the list had happier live, better outcomes?
Essay Topic 2
Hester Eastman plays the role of an important romantic interest for both Johnny and Owen. In an essay, compare/contrast young Hester Eastman with the adolescent Hester Eastman. What characteristics did the boys find attractive about her at both ages? How would you describe the relationships that Johnny and Owen had with Hester? How were they the same? How were they different? Which relationship seemed to make more sense? Even though there were deeply unhealthy behaviors in both, which relationship could you have seen lasting longer? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, both Owen and Johnny battle with the ideas of personal histories and family histories defining them. Compare/contrast the family histories that both boys know of themselves when they are 11. Explain the ways that both boys knowledge of themselves has changed by the end of the novel. Which boy was most affected by the knowledge - or lack thereof - of both his personal and family history? What evidence from the text supports this claim?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)