|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Owen develop the large muscles that he has?
2. What behavior of Hester's becomes a worry for her cousin, Johnny.
3. Where is Owen transferred upon graduation?
4. On the night of the Christmas play, which character is hinted to be able to see the future?
5. As an adult, who is Johnny's best friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic of Johnny's job as an adult?
2. Who is Katherine Keeling?
3. How do the boys start their trip to Boston?
4. As an adult, what does Johnny overhear his friend Katherine Keener's husband saying about him?
5. What does Owen look like when he is 16?
6. What goes wrong during the Christmas pageant?
7. What has Owen done to prepare the amputation blade?
8. What does Owen hope to do upon graduation from the University, and why?
9. What happens when Owen, as The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, takes Scrooge to his grave?
10. What happens when Johnny goes to meet Owen at the monument shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hester Eastman plays the role of an important romantic interest for both Johnny and Owen. In an essay, compare/contrast young Hester Eastman with the adolescent Hester Eastman. What characteristics did the boys find attractive about her at both ages? How would you describe the relationships that Johnny and Owen had with Hester? How were they the same? How were they different? Which relationship seemed to make more sense? Even though there were deeply unhealthy behaviors in both, which relationship could you have seen lasting longer? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The novel takes places in a very important moment of American history. The Vietnam War becomes both a machine to progress the story as well as a catalyst for the behaviors of many characters. Why might John Irving have decided to set the novel in this time period? Was the war used as a machine to progress the story, or was there a deeper symbolic meaning to the time setting? Support your theory with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Even though Hester, Owen, and Johnny have a very tight friendship, there are moments when they all begin to doubt each other. In an essay, explain why the boys (either together or individually) doubted some of the decisions that Hester was making. Why did Johnny and Hester (either together or as individuals) doubt some of the decisions that Owen was making? What is the importance of those doubts in the novel? How had their friendships managed to overcome the doubt?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)