|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it about Owen that fascinates the person from Tabitha's past?
2. What does Owen write in an attempt to coax Johnny's father out of hiding?
3. What city do Owen and Johnny travel to on their holiday from school?
4. What part of Johnny's body does Owen cut off?
5. Whose lines does Owen loudly whisper after the actor has forgotten them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the boys' grades once they get to the University?
2. What does Owen hope to do upon graduation from the University, and why?
3. What habit has Hester taken up, and how does it affect her life?
4. What does Johnny think he sees when he is peering out at the audience from backstage during the Christmas pageant?
5. What is the reaction to Mrs. Wheelwright's new television?
6. What chilling event happens after Owen believes he has seen his own death?
7. What happens when Owen, as The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, takes Scrooge to his grave?
8. What is Owen's favorite skill in basketball, and how does he accomplish it?
9. What happens with Owen's collegiate schooling after he is kicked out of Gravesend Academy?
10. Who is Katherine Keeling?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Owen is surely the most confident character in the book, a characteristic that might not have been expected by the reader. In an essay, explain the symbolism of the armadillo throughout the story. Where and when does it appear? Does it's symbolism every change? Consider what the armadillo means to both Johnny and Owen as individuals. What do they use it for?
Essay Topic 2
Overall, there are two major mindsets in the novel of how you progress through life: with caution, or with passion. In an essay, discuss at least five characters who progress through life with caution, and five characters who progress with passion. For each character, give a short explanation as to why they have landed on each list. Then, choose one character from either side of the list and argue why they should have lived their life the opposite way. What does John Irving seem to be saying is the better way to live your life? Which side of the list had happier live, better outcomes?
Essay Topic 3
Both Owen and Johnny had a tough eleventh year. In an essay, compare/contrast the characters of Owen and Johnny. How are they the same? How are they different? How are their family lives? How has family history affected each of the boys? Finally, explain the ways that the difficulties the boys experienced affected their friendship, and why you think the outcome was, or was not, expected.
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)