|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Johnny react to Owen's date for the dance?
2. Why did Tabitha claim she could not return the item she purchased back to Jerrolds?
3. For which holiday does Owen have a 10-day leave?
4. Who asks Johnny to reevaluate his future, saying that he doesn't have much time?
5. What year is it when the two boys begin at the University?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
2. How does Owen react to the nuns at the academy?
3. What habit has Hester taken up, and how does it affect her life?
4. What happens when Johnny goes to meet Owen at the monument shop?
5. How do the boys start their trip to Boston?
6. What is the reaction to Mrs. Wheelwright's new television?
7. What happens with Owen's collegiate schooling after he is kicked out of Gravesend Academy?
8. What does Johnny think he sees when he is peering out at the audience from backstage during the Christmas pageant?
9. What does Owen hope to do upon graduation from the University, and why?
10. What significant events happen when Randall White is elected headmaster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While exploring the dorm rooms at Gravesend, the boys are initiated into the worlds of puberty and sexuality. Compare and contrast the boys' expectations of puberty with what they actually experience. Why might John Irving have included sexuality as a major theme within his novel?
Essay Topic 2
The novel takes places in a very important moment of American history. The Vietnam War becomes both a machine to progress the story as well as a catalyst for the behaviors of many characters. Why might John Irving have decided to set the novel in this time period? Was the war used as a machine to progress the story, or was there a deeper symbolic meaning to the time setting? Support your theory with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Even though Hester, Owen, and Johnny have a very tight friendship, there are moments when they all begin to doubt each other. In an essay, explain why the boys (either together or individually) doubted some of the decisions that Hester was making. Why did Johnny and Hester (either together or as individuals) doubt some of the decisions that Owen was making? What is the importance of those doubts in the novel? How had their friendships managed to overcome the doubt?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)