|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Owen say before he makes the cut on Johnny?
2. What is it about Owen that fascinates the person from Tabitha's past?
3. What color is Owen's father's truck?
4. What city do Owen and Johnny travel to on their holiday from school?
5. When Owen looks forward to his future, what does he claim will be the unifying emotion of his generation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What significant events happen when Randall White is elected headmaster?
2. What does Owen hope to do upon graduation from the University, and why?
3. What happens when Owen, as The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, takes Scrooge to his grave?
4. What happens to the boys' grades once they get to the University?
5. What happens with Owen's collegiate schooling after he is kicked out of Gravesend Academy?
6. What does Owen look like when he is 16?
7. What does Johnny think he sees when he is peering out at the audience from backstage during the Christmas pageant?
8. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
9. How does Owen react to the nuns at the academy?
10. How does Barb Wiggin treat Owen, and what is his reaction?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Organized religion plays a major role throughout the novel, creating both conflict and resolution. Choose one of the questions below as the focus for your essay, and support your answers with examples from the text.
1) Compare/contrast the upbringing that both Owen and Johnny had with organized religion. How did their upbringings affect how they acted, and how they viewed the differently situations they encountered throughout the novel?
2) Explore at least three major events in the novel where religious conflict is introduced. What is the significance of that conflict? How is religion used at that those points? Is religion used effectively to get a message across?
3) As an adult, Johnny wavers on whether he believes in religion. What events lead him toward religion, and what events have led him away?
Essay Topic 2
Jealousy is another theme that becomes introduced into Johnny and Owen's relationship as they progress into adolescence. In an essay, explain two of the major events that prompt jealousy between the two boys and the ways that the jealously is overcome. What was it that the boys discussed/decided, if anything, to smooth out their relationship? Had Owen lived into adulthood, do you imagine that jealously would have continued to live in their relationship? What adult events might have transpired that one boy, or the other, could have been jealous of?
Essay Topic 3
Amputation becomes a large theme throughout the novel. Compare/contrast the amputation of the armadillo and the amputation of Johnny's hands. What is similar about them? What is the difference? What is the significance of the two amputations?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)