|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Owen feeling on the night of the Christmas pageant?
2. What realization does Johnny make during the performance of "A Christmas Carol"?
3. What behavior of Hester's becomes a worry for her cousin, Johnny.
4. What did Tabitha purchase from the store in Boston called Jerrolds?
5. For his new sport, Owen has perfected a new skill. How long does he give himself to perform this new skill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tabitha's old singing teacher tell the boys?
2. As an adult, what is Johnny discussing with Canon Mackie?
3. What does Owen hope to do upon graduation from the University, and why?
4. What did Tabitha tell the boys about her red dress?
5. What has Owen done to prepare the amputation blade?
6. What does Johnny think he sees when he is peering out at the audience from backstage during the Christmas pageant?
7. What is Owen's favorite skill in basketball, and how does he accomplish it?
8. What is the reaction to Mrs. Wheelwright's new television?
9. How does Owen react to the nuns at the academy?
10. What happens to the boys' grades once they get to the University?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, Owen takes charge of many characters' lives. This role of leadership is a very important aspect in his life. In an essay, discuss three events in which Owen takes a leadership role, or controls another character's actions. Select another character in the novel and explain how Owen's need for control has affected their relationship. Finally, compare and contrast Owen's physicality with his personality. Why might the need to control be such an important aspect of character?
Essay Topic 2
Organized religion plays a major role throughout the novel, creating both conflict and resolution. Choose one of the questions below as the focus for your essay, and support your answers with examples from the text.
1) Compare/contrast the upbringing that both Owen and Johnny had with organized religion. How did their upbringings affect how they acted, and how they viewed the differently situations they encountered throughout the novel?
2) Explore at least three major events in the novel where religious conflict is introduced. What is the significance of that conflict? How is religion used at that those points? Is religion used effectively to get a message across?
3) As an adult, Johnny wavers on whether he believes in religion. What events lead him toward religion, and what events have led him away?
Essay Topic 3
The novel takes places in a very important moment of American history. The Vietnam War becomes both a machine to progress the story as well as a catalyst for the behaviors of many characters. Why might John Irving have decided to set the novel in this time period? Was the war used as a machine to progress the story, or was there a deeper symbolic meaning to the time setting? Support your theory with examples from the text.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)