|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose death causes a downward spiral for Owen?
2. What does Johnny not know how to do that most boys his age can?
3. What unusual article of clothing is Owen wearing when Johnny arrives?
4. What does Owen call the nuns?
5. On the night of the Christmas play, which character is hinted to be able to see the future?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with Owen's collegiate schooling after he is kicked out of Gravesend Academy?
2. As an adult, what does Johnny overhear his friend Katherine Keener's husband saying about him?
3. What does Tabitha's old singing teacher tell the boys?
4. What chilling event happens after Owen believes he has seen his own death?
5. What happens when Johnny goes to meet Owen at the monument shop?
6. What does Johnny think he sees when he is peering out at the audience from backstage during the Christmas pageant?
7. Who is Katherine Keeling?
8. What does Owen hope to do upon graduation from the University, and why?
9. What is ironic of Johnny's job as an adult?
10. How do the boys start their trip to Boston?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Organized religion plays a major role throughout the novel, creating both conflict and resolution. Choose one of the questions below as the focus for your essay, and support your answers with examples from the text.
1) Compare/contrast the upbringing that both Owen and Johnny had with organized religion. How did their upbringings affect how they acted, and how they viewed the differently situations they encountered throughout the novel?
2) Explore at least three major events in the novel where religious conflict is introduced. What is the significance of that conflict? How is religion used at that those points? Is religion used effectively to get a message across?
3) As an adult, Johnny wavers on whether he believes in religion. What events lead him toward religion, and what events have led him away?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Owen and Johnny is a complicated one. In an essay, argue whether you believe Owen controlled the relationship selfishly, or whether he had Johnny's best interests in mind. What statement does John Irving seem to be making about friendship through Owen and Johnny's relationship? Be sure to support your theory with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, John Irving chooses to present the reader with both the childhood version and the adult version of Johnny. Compare/contrast the presented characteristics of both the child and adult versions of Johnny. What events in the novel may have contributed to the man that Johnny Wheelwright grows to become. What evidence do you see to back up this theory? What reasons do you think John Irving has for interrupting the childhood stories of Johnny with the moments of Johnny as an adult. What messages is he trying to send? What is added to the story by seeing Johnny as an adult?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)