|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For his new sport, Owen needs a partner to help him. Who does he choose?
2. For his new sport, Owen has perfected a new skill. How long does he give himself to perform this new skill?
3. What is Owen unable to do in military training?
4. What event in Johnny's life does he feel still stuck in?
5. What does Owen write in an attempt to coax Johnny's father out of hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What habit has Hester taken up, and how does it affect her life?
2. What did Tabitha tell the boys about her red dress?
3. What happens when Owen, as The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, takes Scrooge to his grave?
4. What does Owen hope to do upon graduation from the University, and why?
5. What happens to the boys' grades once they get to the University?
6. What does Johnny think he sees when he is peering out at the audience from backstage during the Christmas pageant?
7. What has Owen done to prepare the amputation blade?
8. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
9. How do the boys start their trip to Boston?
10. What happens with Owen's collegiate schooling after he is kicked out of Gravesend Academy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both Owen and Reverend Merrill played a large part in cementing the religious faith of Johnny who vacillated on religion through most of the novel. In an essay, compare/contrast the religious faiths of Owen and Reverend Merrill. Consider how much trickery comes into play in regards to the faith of characters in the novel. What message do you think John Irving was attempting to state in the novel? How do both Owen and Reverend Merrill's views on faith affected Johnny's views? Which had a larger impact on his faith? What changes did each character prompt in his beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
Both pride and confidence come into play in the novel, and both have serious consequences to events within the novel. In an essay, explain the difference between pride and confidence. What effects do each characteristic typically have in situations?How does pride irrevocably changed the outcome of both Christmas productions. Finally, choose one character in the novel and explain why you would consider him or her prideful over confident. How has that pride affected this character's life? What has come of this character's pride?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Owen and Johnny is a complicated one. In an essay, argue whether you believe Owen controlled the relationship selfishly, or whether he had Johnny's best interests in mind. What statement does John Irving seem to be making about friendship through Owen and Johnny's relationship? Be sure to support your theory with examples from the text.
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)