|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Owen want to repeat the ninth grade?
2. What color is Owen's father's truck?
3. What is Owen doing when Johnny finds him backstage?
4. How does Owen respond to Barb Wiggins' teasing?
5. What city do Owen and Johnny travel to on their holiday from school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Owen, as The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, takes Scrooge to his grave?
2. What does Johnny think he sees when he is peering out at the audience from backstage during the Christmas pageant?
3. What habit has Hester taken up, and how does it affect her life?
4. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
5. What goes wrong during the Christmas pageant?
6. What does Tabitha's old singing teacher tell the boys?
7. As an adult, what is Johnny discussing with Canon Mackie?
8. What happens to the boys' grades once they get to the University?
9. What happens when Johnny goes to meet Owen at the monument shop?
10. What happens with Owen's collegiate schooling after he is kicked out of Gravesend Academy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Overall, there are two major mindsets in the novel of how you progress through life: with caution, or with passion. In an essay, discuss at least five characters who progress through life with caution, and five characters who progress with passion. For each character, give a short explanation as to why they have landed on each list. Then, choose one character from either side of the list and argue why they should have lived their life the opposite way. What does John Irving seem to be saying is the better way to live your life? Which side of the list had happier live, better outcomes?
Essay Topic 2
Owen Meany's faith that he is an instrument of God makes up a large part of his character. Choose two characters in the novel and compare/contrast their views on whether or not Owen was an instrument of God. How does Owen's history and beliefs affect their views of him?
Essay Topic 3
Organized religion plays a major role throughout the novel, creating both conflict and resolution. Choose one of the questions below as the focus for your essay, and support your answers with examples from the text.
1) Compare/contrast the upbringing that both Owen and Johnny had with organized religion. How did their upbringings affect how they acted, and how they viewed the differently situations they encountered throughout the novel?
2) Explore at least three major events in the novel where religious conflict is introduced. What is the significance of that conflict? How is religion used at that those points? Is religion used effectively to get a message across?
3) As an adult, Johnny wavers on whether he believes in religion. What events lead him toward religion, and what events have led him away?
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)