|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Hester protesting?
2. What does Owen call the column that he writes for the Gravesend newspaper?
3. When Owen sees his parents in the audience, what does he shout from the stage?
4. For his new sport, Owen has perfected a new skill. How long does he give himself to perform this new skill?
5. What realization does Johnny make during the performance of "A Christmas Carol"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Owen, as The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, takes Scrooge to his grave?
2. As an adult, what does Johnny overhear his friend Katherine Keener's husband saying about him?
3. What is the reaction to Mrs. Wheelwright's new television?
4. What happens when Johnny goes to meet Owen at the monument shop?
5. What does Tabitha's old singing teacher tell the boys?
6. Who is Katherine Keeling?
7. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
8. As an adult, what is Johnny discussing with Canon Mackie?
9. What happens to the boys' grades once they get to the University?
10. What significant events happen when Randall White is elected headmaster?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
While exploring the dorm rooms at Gravesend, the boys are initiated into the worlds of puberty and sexuality. Compare and contrast the boys' expectations of puberty with what they actually experience. Why might John Irving have included sexuality as a major theme within his novel?
Essay Topic 2
Even though Hester, Owen, and Johnny have a very tight friendship, there are moments when they all begin to doubt each other. In an essay, explain why the boys (either together or individually) doubted some of the decisions that Hester was making. Why did Johnny and Hester (either together or as individuals) doubt some of the decisions that Owen was making? What is the importance of those doubts in the novel? How had their friendships managed to overcome the doubt?
Essay Topic 3
Both pride and confidence come into play in the novel, and both have serious consequences to events within the novel. In an essay, explain the difference between pride and confidence. What effects do each characteristic typically have in situations?How does pride irrevocably changed the outcome of both Christmas productions. Finally, choose one character in the novel and explain why you would consider him or her prideful over confident. How has that pride affected this character's life? What has come of this character's pride?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)