|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which play is Dan Needham directing?
2. Whose religious doubts does Johnny appreciate?
3. As an adult, what does Johnny think will hold human's responsible for their actions?
4. In what has Dan Needham wrapped Johnny's present?
5. What does Owen claim God has taken from him to make him God's instrument?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Owen described physically?
2. How does the Meany family make a living?
3. What was the conflict that Dan and Tabitha encountered when they were planning their wedding ceremony?
4. What happens when Johnny and Owen are investigating empty dorm rooms at Gravesend over the Christmas holiday?
5. Why does Owen's family switch to the Episcopalian church?
6. Who is Dan Needham, and what does he look like?
7. How does Johnny react to Owen's baseball card apology?
8. Explain the situation that Johnny will later describe as his sexual awakening.
9. What does Owen predict when he and Johnny are down by the Squamscott River?
10. Why do Owen and Mr. Morrison have a conversation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, both Owen and Johnny battle with the ideas of personal histories and family histories defining them. Compare/contrast the family histories that both boys know of themselves when they are 11. Explain the ways that both boys knowledge of themselves has changed by the end of the novel. Which boy was most affected by the knowledge - or lack thereof - of both his personal and family history? What evidence from the text supports this claim?
Essay Topic 2
Amputation becomes a large theme throughout the novel. Compare/contrast the amputation of the armadillo and the amputation of Johnny's hands. What is similar about them? What is the difference? What is the significance of the two amputations?
Essay Topic 3
Jealousy is another theme that becomes introduced into Johnny and Owen's relationship as they progress into adolescence. In an essay, explain two of the major events that prompt jealousy between the two boys and the ways that the jealously is overcome. What was it that the boys discussed/decided, if anything, to smooth out their relationship? Had Owen lived into adulthood, do you imagine that jealously would have continued to live in their relationship? What adult events might have transpired that one boy, or the other, could have been jealous of?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)