|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ms. Wheelwright meet her new boyfriend?
2. Where do the students typically lock Owen?
3. Which President wrote the "State of the Union Message" that Johnny reads as an adult?
4. How does Owen respond to the news that his parents are aware of his Christmas responsibilities?
5. How do the adolescent boys of Gravesend view Ginger?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Owen apologize to Johnny?
2. How does Owen typically play baseball?
3. What happens to Harry Hoyt's mother?
4. How does Johnny Wheelwright's mother die?
5. Who are the Brinker-Smiths?
6. How do the Meanys find out about Owen's Christmas responsibilities, and what is their response?
7. What happens when Owen meets Johnny's cousins?
8. What changes does Owen make to the Christmas pageant once he becomes the director?
9. Who is Dan Needham, and what does he look like?
10. What does Owen gift to Tabitha and Dan as a wedding gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Owen and Johnny is a complicated one. In an essay, argue whether you believe Owen controlled the relationship selfishly, or whether he had Johnny's best interests in mind. What statement does John Irving seem to be making about friendship through Owen and Johnny's relationship? Be sure to support your theory with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Owen is surely the most confident character in the book, a characteristic that might not have been expected by the reader. In an essay, explain the symbolism of the armadillo throughout the story. Where and when does it appear? Does it's symbolism every change? Consider what the armadillo means to both Johnny and Owen as individuals. What do they use it for?
Essay Topic 3
Johnny's stuffed armadillo becomes a symbol for the relationship that Owen and Johnny have with each other. In an essay, compare/contrast what the armadillo means to both Johnny and Owen as individuals. What do they use it for? How the physical changes in the armadillo represent the changes that happen in the boys' relationship. How the armadillo comes into play with the fruition of Owen's destiny? How does the symbol of the armadillo return?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)