|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fill in the blank: "If he's got so much ________, he's in the wrong business."
2. Who is Lydia?
3. What does Dan think is the ultimate message that Owen was trying to send with the stuffed animal?
4. Why is it impossible for any pitcher to strike Owen out playing baseball?
5. Who does the person praying at the grave believe is speaking to them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Owen done to prepare the amputation blade?
2. What is Owen's favorite skill in basketball, and how does he accomplish it?
3. What does Owen mean when he tells Dan Needham that his play is lacking a "certain presence"?
4. Who is Katherine Keeling?
5. What does Mr. Meany confess to Johnny in Owen's bedroom, and how does Johnny respond?
6. What does Owen look like when he is 16?
7. Why does Reverend Merrill claim to have lost his faith?
8. How does the Meany family make a living?
9. How does Johnny react to Owen's baseball card apology?
10. How do the Meanys find out about Owen's Christmas responsibilities, and what is their response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Owen and Johnny is a complicated one. In an essay, argue whether you believe Owen controlled the relationship selfishly, or whether he had Johnny's best interests in mind. What statement does John Irving seem to be making about friendship through Owen and Johnny's relationship? Be sure to support your theory with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, Owen takes charge of many characters' lives. This role of leadership is a very important aspect in his life. In an essay, discuss three events in which Owen takes a leadership role, or controls another character's actions. Select another character in the novel and explain how Owen's need for control has affected their relationship. Finally, compare and contrast Owen's physicality with his personality. Why might the need to control be such an important aspect of character?
Essay Topic 3
Both Owen and Reverend Merrill played a large part in cementing the religious faith of Johnny who vacillated on religion through most of the novel. In an essay, compare/contrast the religious faiths of Owen and Reverend Merrill. Consider how much trickery comes into play in regards to the faith of characters in the novel. What message do you think John Irving was attempting to state in the novel? How do both Owen and Reverend Merrill's views on faith affected Johnny's views? Which had a larger impact on his faith? What changes did each character prompt in his beliefs?
This section contains 2,166 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)