|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Owen attempt to convince to keep his role in Dan Needham's play?
2. What is heard in the background of Ms. Wheelwright's funeral?
3. What role has Owen played every year in the Christmas pageant and swears that he will never play again?
4. Johnny's mother encourages Owen to switch what?
5. Fill in the blank: Down by the riverside, Owen shouts, "He can hide from you, but he can't hide from _____ ."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Owen think he sees when he enters Tabitha's bedroom?
2. What does Owen mean when he tells Dan Needham that his play is lacking a "certain presence"?
3. How does Johnny Wheelwright's mother die?
4. Explain the situation that Johnny will later describe as his sexual awakening.
5. How does the Meany family make a living?
6. What does Owen predict when he and Johnny are down by the Squamscott River?
7. What was the conflict that Dan and Tabitha encountered when they were planning their wedding ceremony?
8. What changes does Owen make to the Christmas pageant once he becomes the director?
9. How does Johnny react to Owen's baseball card apology?
10. What is significant about Johnny Wheelwright's family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Overall, there are two major mindsets in the novel of how you progress through life: with caution, or with passion. In an essay, discuss at least five characters who progress through life with caution, and five characters who progress with passion. For each character, give a short explanation as to why they have landed on each list. Then, choose one character from either side of the list and argue why they should have lived their life the opposite way. What does John Irving seem to be saying is the better way to live your life? Which side of the list had happier live, better outcomes?
Essay Topic 2
There are many characters who feel somehow responsible for the death of Tabitha Wheelwright. In an essay, briefly explain the reasons behind both Owen and Reverend Merrill's belief of their responsibility. What prompted each of them to believe in his responsibility? How has this affected his life?
Next, argue why the responsibility for her death should lie somewhere else. This argument should clearly and succinctly prove why neither Reverend Merrill or Owen is responsible. Use support from the text to prove your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Both Owen and Johnny had a tough eleventh year. In an essay, compare/contrast the characters of Owen and Johnny. How are they the same? How are they different? How are their family lives? How has family history affected each of the boys? Finally, explain the ways that the difficulties the boys experienced affected their friendship, and why you think the outcome was, or was not, expected.
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)