|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Owen believe could be the "certain prescence" in Dan Needham's play?
2. What is Johnny's initial reaction to his gift from Dan Needham?
3. How does Johnny swear he will die?
4. How long did Tabitha and Dan wait before they were married?
5. What/who does Owen say is in Tabitha's room with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Owen react so strongly to Johnny's opinion of his mother's death?
2. What does Owen gift to Tabitha and Dan as a wedding gift?
3. What happens to Harry Hoyt's mother?
4. How does the Meany family make a living?
5. How does Johnny react to Owen's baseball card apology?
6. Why does Owen's family switch to the Episcopalian church?
7. Who are the Brinker-Smiths?
8. What does the audience see Johnny Wheelwright reading, as an adult, in Canada, and how does Johnny react?
9. How is Owen described physically?
10. Briefly explain this quote: "God has taken your mother. My hands were the instrument. God has taken my hands. I am God's instrument."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Both pride and confidence come into play in the novel, and both have serious consequences to events within the novel. In an essay, explain the difference between pride and confidence. What effects do each characteristic typically have in situations?How does pride irrevocably changed the outcome of both Christmas productions. Finally, choose one character in the novel and explain why you would consider him or her prideful over confident. How has that pride affected this character's life? What has come of this character's pride?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Owen and Johnny is a complicated one. In an essay, argue whether you believe Owen controlled the relationship selfishly, or whether he had Johnny's best interests in mind. What statement does John Irving seem to be making about friendship through Owen and Johnny's relationship? Be sure to support your theory with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Hester Eastman plays the role of an important romantic interest for both Johnny and Owen. In an essay, compare/contrast young Hester Eastman with the adolescent Hester Eastman. What characteristics did the boys find attractive about her at both ages? How would you describe the relationships that Johnny and Owen had with Hester? How were they the same? How were they different? Which relationship seemed to make more sense? Even though there were deeply unhealthy behaviors in both, which relationship could you have seen lasting longer? Why?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)