|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city did Johnny's mother meet his father?
2. How does Johnny swear he will die?
3. How are Johnny's cousins described?
4. What is Johnny's initial reaction to his gift from Dan Needham?
5. How many pastors were present at the wedding of Dan and Tabitha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tabitha's old singing teacher tell the boys?
2. What happens when Owen, as The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, takes Scrooge to his grave?
3. Who is Katherine Keeling?
4. What does Johnny see when he travels to Tabitha's grave for the first time?
5. What does Owen predict when he and Johnny are down by the Squamscott River?
6. What changes does Owen make to the Christmas pageant once he becomes the director?
7. What significant events happen when Randall White is elected headmaster?
8. What happens to Hester in her adulthood?
9. What happens to Harry Hoyt's mother?
10. What happens when Johnny goes to meet Owen at the monument shop?
Essay Topic 1
The novel takes places in a very important moment of American history. The Vietnam War becomes both a machine to progress the story as well as a catalyst for the behaviors of many characters. Why might John Irving have decided to set the novel in this time period? Was the war used as a machine to progress the story, or was there a deeper symbolic meaning to the time setting? Support your theory with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Both Owen and Johnny had a tough eleventh year. In an essay, compare/contrast the characters of Owen and Johnny. How are they the same? How are they different? How are their family lives? How has family history affected each of the boys? Finally, explain the ways that the difficulties the boys experienced affected their friendship, and why you think the outcome was, or was not, expected.
Essay Topic 3
Owen is surely the most confident character in the book, a characteristic that might not have been expected by the reader. In an essay, explain the symbolism of the armadillo throughout the story. Where and when does it appear? Does it's symbolism every change? Consider what the armadillo means to both Johnny and Owen as individuals. What do they use it for?
This section contains 2,095 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)