|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the town in which this novel takes place?
2. When the Brinker-Smiths enter the room that Owen and Johnny are investigating, where does Johnny hide?
3. How old was Johnny when his mother died?
4. How do the Meanys respond to the news of Owen's Christmas responsibilities?
5. What does Dan think is the ultimate message that Owen was trying to send with the stuffed animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Johnny and Owen are investigating empty dorm rooms at Gravesend over the Christmas holiday?
2. What changes does Owen make to the Christmas pageant once he becomes the director?
3. Why do Owen and Mr. Morrison have a conversation?
4. Why does Owen react so strongly to Johnny's opinion of his mother's death?
5. What does Owen gift to Tabitha and Dan as a wedding gift?
6. What does Owen think he sees when he enters Tabitha's bedroom?
7. What happens when Owen meets Johnny's cousins?
8. How do the Meanys find out about Owen's Christmas responsibilities, and what is their response?
9. What was the conflict that Dan and Tabitha encountered when they were planning their wedding ceremony?
10. How does Johnny react to Owen's baseball card apology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The novel takes places in a very important moment of American history. The Vietnam War becomes both a machine to progress the story as well as a catalyst for the behaviors of many characters. Why might John Irving have decided to set the novel in this time period? Was the war used as a machine to progress the story, or was there a deeper symbolic meaning to the time setting? Support your theory with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Even though Hester, Owen, and Johnny have a very tight friendship, there are moments when they all begin to doubt each other. In an essay, explain why the boys (either together or individually) doubted some of the decisions that Hester was making. Why did Johnny and Hester (either together or as individuals) doubt some of the decisions that Owen was making? What is the importance of those doubts in the novel? How had their friendships managed to overcome the doubt?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the novel, Owen takes charge of many characters' lives. This role of leadership is a very important aspect in his life. In an essay, discuss three events in which Owen takes a leadership role, or controls another character's actions. Select another character in the novel and explain how Owen's need for control has affected their relationship. Finally, compare and contrast Owen's physicality with his personality. Why might the need to control be such an important aspect of character?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)