|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is it impossible for any pitcher to strike Owen out playing baseball?
2. Who does Owen say should not be left alone with Tabitha's dressmaking dummy?
3. In chapter 3, why does Owen enter Tabitha's bedroom?
4. As an adult, what does Johnny think will hold human's responsible for their actions?
5. What does Dan think is the ultimate message that Owen was trying to send with the stuffed animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dan Needham, and what does he look like?
2. What changes does Owen make to the Christmas pageant once he becomes the director?
3. What does Owen predict when he and Johnny are down by the Squamscott River?
4. How do the Meanys find out about Owen's Christmas responsibilities, and what is their response?
5. What happens when Johnny and Owen are investigating empty dorm rooms at Gravesend over the Christmas holiday?
6. How does Johnny Wheelwright's mother die?
7. What does Owen gift to Tabitha and Dan as a wedding gift?
8. Why does Owen's family switch to the Episcopalian church?
9. How do the other Sunday school students treat Owen?
10. How is Owen described physically?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Owen Meany's faith that he is an instrument of God makes up a large part of his character. Choose two characters in the novel and compare/contrast their views on whether or not Owen was an instrument of God. How does Owen's history and beliefs affect their views of him?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Owen and Johnny is a complicated one. In an essay, argue whether you believe Owen controlled the relationship selfishly, or whether he had Johnny's best interests in mind. What statement does John Irving seem to be making about friendship through Owen and Johnny's relationship? Be sure to support your theory with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The entire novel was working toward the idea of Owen's destiny. He had been aware of his purpose from the very beginning. In an essay, explain what Owen Meany's destiny was, and the ways that he worked toward achieving it. How was Johnny Wheelwright a major part of Owen Meany's destiny? Did the ending give you a sense of satisfaction? Why or why not? Did you feel that John Irving was leading you steadily down one path - toward Owen's destiny - or did the ending come out of nowhere? Why?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)