|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Owen present to Dan and Tabitha as a wedding gift?
2. In which country does Johnny live as an adult?
3. Who does Owen attempt to convince to keep his role in Dan Needham's play?
4. What is Johnny's mother's name?
5. Who is Dan Needham?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Johnny think he sees when he is peering out at the audience from backstage during the Christmas pageant?
2. Why does Reverend Merrill claim to have lost his faith?
3. Why does Johnny believe that Owen's voice never changed?
4. What changes does Owen make to the Christmas pageant once he becomes the director?
5. What happens to Hester in her adulthood?
6. What chilling event happens after Owen believes he has seen his own death?
7. What goes wrong during the Christmas pageant?
8. What does Owen predict when he and Johnny are down by the Squamscott River?
9. What significant events happen when Randall White is elected headmaster?
10. What does Mr. Meany take Johnny to see in the monument shop?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnny's stuffed armadillo becomes a symbol for the relationship that Owen and Johnny have with each other. In an essay, compare/contrast what the armadillo means to both Johnny and Owen as individuals. What do they use it for? How the physical changes in the armadillo represent the changes that happen in the boys' relationship. How the armadillo comes into play with the fruition of Owen's destiny? How does the symbol of the armadillo return?
Essay Topic 2
Owen Meany's faith that he is an instrument of God makes up a large part of his character. Choose two characters in the novel and compare/contrast their views on whether or not Owen was an instrument of God. How does Owen's history and beliefs affect their views of him?
Essay Topic 3
Both Owen and Reverend Merrill played a large part in cementing the religious faith of Johnny who vacillated on religion through most of the novel. In an essay, compare/contrast the religious faiths of Owen and Reverend Merrill. Consider how much trickery comes into play in regards to the faith of characters in the novel. What message do you think John Irving was attempting to state in the novel? How do both Owen and Reverend Merrill's views on faith affected Johnny's views? Which had a larger impact on his faith? What changes did each character prompt in his beliefs?
This section contains 2,105 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)