|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is heard in the background of Ms. Wheelwright's funeral?
2. What/who does Owen say is in Tabitha's room with her?
3. How do the Meanys respond to the news of Owen's Christmas responsibilities?
4. After the funeral, who walks with Johnny to his mother's grave?
5. What do Johnny's cousins do with the hopes of drawing blood?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the audience see Johnny Wheelwright reading, as an adult, in Canada, and how does Johnny react?
2. What happens when Johnny and Owen are investigating empty dorm rooms at Gravesend over the Christmas holiday?
3. Describe Johnny's cousins.
4. How does Owen typically play baseball?
5. How does Owen apologize to Johnny?
6. How do the Meanys find out about Owen's Christmas responsibilities, and what is their response?
7. What happens to Harry Hoyt's mother?
8. What happens when Owen meets Johnny's cousins?
9. Who is Dan Needham, and what does he look like?
10. What does Johnny see when he travels to Tabitha's grave for the first time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The entire novel was working toward the idea of Owen's destiny. He had been aware of his purpose from the very beginning. In an essay, explain what Owen Meany's destiny was, and the ways that he worked toward achieving it. How was Johnny Wheelwright a major part of Owen Meany's destiny? Did the ending give you a sense of satisfaction? Why or why not? Did you feel that John Irving was leading you steadily down one path - toward Owen's destiny - or did the ending come out of nowhere? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Both pride and confidence come into play in the novel, and both have serious consequences to events within the novel. In an essay, explain the difference between pride and confidence. What effects do each characteristic typically have in situations?How does pride irrevocably changed the outcome of both Christmas productions. Finally, choose one character in the novel and explain why you would consider him or her prideful over confident. How has that pride affected this character's life? What has come of this character's pride?
Essay Topic 3
Organized religion plays a major role throughout the novel, creating both conflict and resolution. Choose one of the questions below as the focus for your essay, and support your answers with examples from the text.
1) Compare/contrast the upbringing that both Owen and Johnny had with organized religion. How did their upbringings affect how they acted, and how they viewed the differently situations they encountered throughout the novel?
2) Explore at least three major events in the novel where religious conflict is introduced. What is the significance of that conflict? How is religion used at that those points? Is religion used effectively to get a message across?
3) As an adult, Johnny wavers on whether he believes in religion. What events lead him toward religion, and what events have led him away?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)