Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which city did Johnny's mother meet his father?
2. How does Johnny swear he will die?
3. How are Johnny's cousins described?
4. What is Johnny's initial reaction to his gift from Dan Needham?
5. How many pastors were present at the wedding of Dan and Tabitha?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tabitha's old singing teacher tell the boys?
2. What happens when Owen, as The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come, takes Scrooge to his grave?
3. Who is Katherine Keeling?
4. What does Johnny see when he travels to Tabitha's grave for the first time?
5. What does Owen predict when he and Johnny are down by the Squamscott River?
6. What changes does Owen make to the Christmas pageant once he becomes the director?
7. What significant events happen when Randall White is elected headmaster?
8. What happens to Hester in her adulthood?
9. What happens to Harry Hoyt's mother?
10. What happens when Johnny goes to meet Owen at the monument shop?
Essay Topic 1
Even though Hester, Owen, and Johnny have a very tight friendship, there are moments when they all begin to doubt each other. In an essay, explain why the boys (either together or individually) doubted some of the decisions that Hester was making. Why did Johnny and Hester (either together or as individuals) doubt some of the decisions that Owen was making? What is the importance of those doubts in the novel? How had their friendships managed to overcome the doubt?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, John Irving chooses to present the reader with both the childhood version and the adult version of Johnny. Compare/contrast the presented characteristics of both the child and adult versions of Johnny. What events in the novel may have contributed to the man that Johnny Wheelwright grows to become. What evidence do you see to back up this theory? What reasons do you think John Irving has for interrupting the childhood stories of Johnny with the moments of Johnny as an adult. What messages is he trying to send? What is added to the story by seeing Johnny as an adult?
Essay Topic 3
Owen is surely the most confident character in the book, a characteristic that might not have been expected by the reader. In an essay, explain the symbolism of the armadillo throughout the story. Where and when does it appear? Does it's symbolism every change? Consider what the armadillo means to both Johnny and Owen as individuals. What do they use it for?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)