|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After what event does Owen ask Johnny to wait for him?
(a) After Owen is sent to Vietnam.
(b) After Johnny graduates from University.
(c) After Johnny gets married.
(d) After Johnny's draft begins.
2. How do Hester and Johnny respond to Owen's transfer?
(a) They are ecstatic.
(b) They are saddened.
(c) They are relieved.
(d) They are apathetic.
3. As an adult, where does Johnny work?
(a) Gravesend Academy.
(b) Meany Granite Quarry.
(c) The Bishop Strachan School.
(d) Wheelwright Wheel Factory.
4. What does Owen write in an attempt to coax Johnny's father out of hiding?
(a) A short story.
(b) A play.
(c) An article.
(d) A poem.
5. What does Dan believe will disappear once Owen begins his schooling at Gravesend?
(a) His laughter.
(b) His eccentricities.
(c) He religious zeal.
(d) His zest for life.
Short Answer Questions
1. With everything that goes wrong in the pageant, how does the audience respond to the show?
2. What city do Owen and Johnny travel to on their holiday from school?
3. When Owen repeats the line, "God has taken your mother. My hands were the instrument. God has taken my hands. I am God's instrument," how does Johnny respond?
4. Who does Owen say that he saves in his dream?
5. Who/what does Owen think that the nuns torture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What habit has Hester taken up, and how does it affect her life?
2. What happens with Owen's collegiate schooling after he is kicked out of Gravesend Academy?
3. What has Owen done to prepare the amputation blade?
4. What does Owen look like when he is 16?
5. What is Owen's favorite skill in basketball, and how does he accomplish it?
6. How does Barb Wiggin treat Owen, and what is his reaction?
7. Who is Katherine Keeling?
8. What happens when Johnny goes to meet Owen at the monument shop?
9. What happens to the boys' grades once they get to the University?
10. What goes wrong during the Christmas pageant?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)