|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Owen ask Johnny to meet him?
(a) At Gravesend Academy.
(b) At the Episcopalian church.
(c) At Meany Quarry.
(d) At the monument shop.
2. Why does Owen want to repeat the ninth grade?
(a) Because Johnny also has to.
(b) Because he wishes to excel higher than the other students.
(c) Because he wants to experience all of high school.
(d) Because he is fearful that he won't be able to keep up.
3. When Owen repeats the line, "God has taken your mother. My hands were the instrument. God has taken my hands. I am God's instrument," how does Johnny respond?
(a) He drops Owen.
(b) He hugs Owen.
(c) He punches Owen.
(d) He kicks Owen.
4. What does Owen call the nuns?
5. Who does Owen claim will have to step in if God does not make Johnny's father known to him?
(b) Tabitha's spirit.
(c) Owen, himself.
(d) Dan Needham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose lines does Owen loudly whisper after the actor has forgotten them?
2. Where is Owen transferred upon graduation?
3. What does Mrs. Wheelwright (Johnny's grandmother) decide to purchase after the two major deaths of the year?
4. What does Johnny believe makes Owen attractive to girls?
5. When Owen sees his parents in the audience, what does he shout from the stage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Owen react to the nuns at the academy?
2. As an adult, what is Johnny discussing with Canon Mackie?
3. What has Owen done to prepare the amputation blade?
4. What does Owen hope to do upon graduation from the University, and why?
5. What does Johnny think he sees when he is peering out at the audience from backstage during the Christmas pageant?
6. What habit has Hester taken up, and how does it affect her life?
7. What goes wrong during the Christmas pageant?
8. What does Tabitha's old singing teacher tell the boys?
9. What does the letter that Johnny receives from the draft board say?
10. How does Barb Wiggin treat Owen, and what is his reaction?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)