|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Owen sees his parents in the audience, what does he shout from the stage?
(a) I'm so glad you could make it.
(b) Who invited you?
(c) What do you think you're doing here?
(d) Get out of here!
2. With everything that goes wrong in the pageant, how does the audience respond to the show?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) They are enthralled.
(c) They are amused.
(d) They are frustrated.
3. For his new sport, Owen has perfected a new skill. How long does he give himself to perform this new skill?
(a) Fourteen minutes.
(b) Fourteen seconds.
(c) Four seconds.
(d) Four minutes.
4. How do Hester and Johnny respond to Owen's transfer?
(a) They are apathetic.
(b) They are relieved.
(c) They are ecstatic.
(d) They are saddened.
5. What do the boys throw at the statue of Mary Magdalene?
(b) Their shoes.
6. What does Owen steal from the school after he is expelled?
(a) Headmaster White's chalkboard.
(b) The Mary Magdalene statue.
(c) Mr. Brinker-Smith's grade book.
(d) Dan Needham's keys.
7. What is it about Owen that fascinates the person from Tabitha's past?
(a) His confidence.
(b) His height.
(c) His religious zeal.
(d) His voice.
8. What happens when Barb Wiggins loses control of the angel during the Christmas pageant?
(a) He becomes terribly tangled in the ropes.
(b) He swings wildly, taking down the stars.
(c) He crashes into the manger holding the Christ Child.
(d) He plummets into a free fall.
9. How does Owen respond to Barb Wiggins' teasing?
(a) He doesn't even notice.
(b) He punches her in the face.
(c) He becomes aroused.
(d) He spits on her shoes.
10. How does Owen respond when Dan suggests that he invite his parents to the play performance?
(a) He says "yes."
(b) He is unsure whether his parents will want to come.
(c) He is unsure how they will respond to the play's subject matter.
(d) He says "no."
11. What year is it when the two boys begin at the University?
12. What behavior of Hester's becomes a worry for her cousin, Johnny.
(a) Her gambling.
(b) Her smoking.
(c) Her cursing.
(d) Her drinking.
13. How does Owen develop the large muscles that he has?
(a) Spending time in the gym.
(b) Working in the quarry.
(c) Working out at wrestling practice.
(d) Doing pullups in his dorm room.
14. What unusual article of clothing is Owen wearing when Johnny arrives?
(a) A pair of overalls.
(b) Wooden shoes.
(c) An apron.
(d) A woolen scarf.
15. As an adult, where does Johnny work?
(a) Wheelwright Wheel Factory.
(b) The Bishop Strachan School.
(c) Gravesend Academy.
(d) Meany Granite Quarry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Canon Mackie?
2. When Owen repeats the line, "God has taken your mother. My hands were the instrument. God has taken my hands. I am God's instrument," how does Johnny respond?
3. Which character seems to have insider information on the brewing affair between JFK and Marilyn Monroe?
4. What does Owen call the nuns?
5. Which famous musician does Owen have an obsession with?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)