|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year is it when the two boys begin at the University?
2. When Owen looks forward to his future, what does he claim will be the unifying emotion of his generation?
3. When Owen repeats the line, "God has taken your mother. My hands were the instrument. God has taken my hands. I am God's instrument," how does Johnny respond?
(a) He drops Owen.
(b) He hugs Owen.
(c) He kicks Owen.
(d) He punches Owen.
4. As a teenager, what sport is Owen's new obsession?
5. As an adult, who is Johnny's best friend?
(a) Hester Eastman.
(c) Katherine Keeling.
(d) Canon Mackie.
6. After what event does Owen ask Johnny to wait for him?
(a) After Owen is sent to Vietnam.
(b) After Johnny's draft begins.
(c) After Johnny graduates from University.
(d) After Johnny gets married.
7. Who does Owen claim will have to step in if God does not make Johnny's father known to him?
(a) Dan Needham.
(c) Owen, himself.
(d) Tabitha's spirit.
8. Who dies on the evening of the Christmas performance?
(a) Katherine Keeling.
(b) Ginger Brinker-Smith.
(d) Mary Beth Baird.
9. Who is Canon Mackie?
(a) A neighbor of Aunt Martha.
(b) A friend of Owen.
(c) A co-worker of Dan Needham.
(d) A friend of Johnny.
10. What brand of cigarettes does Owen smoke?
(b) Virginia Slims.
11. Who does Owen say that he saves in his dream?
(a) Hester Eastman.
(b) His military troop.
(d) Vietnamese children.
12. Which character is creating and selling fake draft cards?
(a) Harold Crosby.
(b) Noah Eastman.
13. How does Owen develop the large muscles that he has?
(a) Working in the quarry.
(b) Doing pullups in his dorm room.
(c) Spending time in the gym.
(d) Working out at wrestling practice.
14. Whose name does Owen think that he has seen on the gravestone?
(b) Dan Needham's.
(d) His own.
15. What does Owen call the column that he writes for the Gravesend newspaper?
(a) The Voice.
(b) The Gospel.
(c) The Word.
(d) The Truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Johnny work in the summer of his first year at the University?
2. For his new sport, Owen needs a partner to help him. Who does he choose?
3. What does Owen write in an attempt to coax Johnny's father out of hiding?
4. What does Owen desire to do upon graduation?
5. With everything that goes wrong in the pageant, how does the audience respond to the show?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)