|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Johnny believe makes Owen attractive to girls?
(a) His confidence.
(b) His religious zest.
(c) His height.
(d) His sense of humor.
2. What does Owen steal from the school after he is expelled?
(a) The Mary Magdalene statue.
(b) Dan Needham's keys.
(c) Mr. Brinker-Smith's grade book.
(d) Headmaster White's chalkboard.
3. What city do Owen and Johnny travel to on their holiday from school?
4. What event in Johnny's life does he feel still stuck in?
(a) The summer he spent with Hester.
(b) The days with the armadillo.
(c) The Christmas Pageant.
(d) The final baseball game.
5. As a teenager, what sport is Owen's new obsession?
6. How is the audience for Dan Needham's play affected by Owen's performance in the Christmas pageant?
(a) The audience seems unaffected.
(b) The house is nearly empty.
(c) The house is packed.
(d) The audience heckles throughout the entire show.
7. How is Owen feeling on the night of the Christmas pageant?
8. What does Owen say before he makes the cut on Johnny?
(a) I do this in the name of the Father.
(b) Just think of this as my little gift to you.
(c) This pains me more than it does you.
(d) This way we'll always be together.
9. Who dies on the evening of the Christmas performance?
(a) Katherine Keeling.
(b) Mary Beth Baird.
(c) Ginger Brinker-Smith.
10. Why does Owen want to repeat the ninth grade?
(a) Because he is fearful that he won't be able to keep up.
(b) Because he wants to experience all of high school.
(c) Because Johnny also has to.
(d) Because he wishes to excel higher than the other students.
11. As an adult, where does Johnny work?
(a) The Bishop Strachan School.
(b) Gravesend Academy.
(c) Meany Granite Quarry.
(d) Wheelwright Wheel Factory.
12. What does Owen say about the nuns?
(a) They're angels.
(b) They're horrible.
(c) They're beautiful.
(d) They're unnatural.
13. What happens when Owen takes Scrooge to his grave in "The Christmas Carol"?
(a) He faints.
(b) He forgets his lines.
(c) He walks straight off stage.
(d) He stumbles into grave.
14. What does Dan believe will disappear once Owen begins his schooling at Gravesend?
(a) His laughter.
(b) His eccentricities.
(c) His zest for life.
(d) He religious zeal.
15. What behavior of Hester's becomes a worry for her cousin, Johnny.
(a) Her smoking.
(b) Her drinking.
(c) Her gambling.
(d) Her cursing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Owen unable to do in military training?
2. What color is Owen's father's truck?
3. When Owen looks forward to his future, what does he claim will be the unifying emotion of his generation?
4. Who asks Johnny to reevaluate his future, saying that he doesn't have much time?
5. What does Johnny not know how to do that most boys his age can?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)