|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a teenager, what sport is Owen's new obsession?
2. Who dies on the evening of the Christmas performance?
(a) Katherine Keeling.
(c) Ginger Brinker-Smith.
(d) Mary Beth Baird.
3. How does Johnny react to Owen's date for the dance?
(a) He is amused.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is furious.
4. What unusual article of clothing is Owen wearing when Johnny arrives?
(a) A pair of overalls.
(b) An apron.
(c) Wooden shoes.
(d) A woolen scarf.
5. Why does Owen want to repeat the ninth grade?
(a) Because Johnny also has to.
(b) Because he wants to experience all of high school.
(c) Because he is fearful that he won't be able to keep up.
(d) Because he wishes to excel higher than the other students.
6. What is Hester protesting?
(a) The new headmaster.
(b) The Vietnam War.
(c) Being kicked out of school.
7. What is it about Owen that fascinates the person from Tabitha's past?
(a) His voice.
(b) His religious zeal.
(c) His confidence.
(d) His height.
8. As an adult, who is Johnny's best friend?
(a) Hester Eastman.
(b) Katherine Keeling.
(c) Canon Mackie.
9. What happens to Johnny's grades in his first year at the University?
(a) They are the lowest in his class.
(b) They surpass Owen's.
(c) They are at the top of his clas.
(d) They remain about average.
10. What type of establishment is Old Freddy's?
(a) A bar.
(b) A casino.
(c) A strip club.
(d) A restaurant.
11. How do Hester and Johnny respond to Owen's transfer?
(a) They are saddened.
(b) They are ecstatic.
(c) They are apathetic.
(d) They are relieved.
12. What city do Owen and Johnny travel to on their holiday from school?
13. For his new sport, Owen has perfected a new skill. How long does he give himself to perform this new skill?
(a) Four seconds.
(b) Four minutes.
(c) Fourteen minutes.
(d) Fourteen seconds.
14. After what event does Owen ask Johnny to wait for him?
(a) After Owen is sent to Vietnam.
(b) After Johnny's draft begins.
(c) After Johnny graduates from University.
(d) After Johnny gets married.
15. What color is Owen's father's truck?
(a) Dirt Brown.
(b) Tomato Red.
(c) Grass Green.
(d) Sunshine Yellow.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Owen looks forward to his future, what does he claim will be the unifying emotion of his generation?
2. What does Johnny not know how to do that most boys his age can?
3. Who does Owen claim will have to step in if God does not make Johnny's father known to him?
4. What does Dan believe will disappear once Owen begins his schooling at Gravesend?
5. How does Owen develop the large muscles that he has?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)