|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Owen feeling on the night of the Christmas pageant?
2. What does Owen write in an attempt to coax Johnny's father out of hiding?
(a) A poem.
(b) An article.
(c) A short story.
(d) A play.
3. What does Owen say before he makes the cut on Johnny?
(a) I do this in the name of the Father.
(b) Just think of this as my little gift to you.
(c) This way we'll always be together.
(d) This pains me more than it does you.
4. Where is Owen transferred upon graduation?
5. What color is Owen's father's truck?
(a) Sunshine Yellow.
(b) Tomato Red.
(c) Grass Green.
(d) Dirt Brown.
6. As an adult, who is Johnny's best friend?
(b) Canon Mackie.
(c) Katherine Keeling.
(d) Hester Eastman.
7. What is Hester protesting?
(a) The Vietnam War.
(b) The new headmaster.
(c) Being kicked out of school.
8. Who is Canon Mackie?
(a) A friend of Johnny.
(b) A co-worker of Dan Needham.
(c) A friend of Owen.
(d) A neighbor of Aunt Martha.
9. Where does Owen ask Johnny to meet him?
(a) At Gravesend Academy.
(b) At the monument shop.
(c) At Meany Quarry.
(d) At the Episcopalian church.
10. Which character carries the screaming Owen off stage?
(a) The Angel.
(b) The wiseman.
(d) The shepherd.
11. When Owen looks forward to his future, what does he claim will be the unifying emotion of his generation?
12. With everything that goes wrong in the pageant, how does the audience respond to the show?
(a) They are amused.
(b) They are enthralled.
(c) They are embarrassed.
(d) They are frustrated.
13. What do the boys throw at the statue of Mary Magdalene?
(c) Their shoes.
14. What is Owen unable to do in military training?
(a) Respect his authorities.
(b) Climb a 20 foot rope ladder.
(c) Scale a 12 foot wall.
(d) Complete 150 push-ups.
15. When Owen repeats the line, "God has taken your mother. My hands were the instrument. God has taken my hands. I am God's instrument," how does Johnny respond?
(a) He kicks Owen.
(b) He hugs Owen.
(c) He drops Owen.
(d) He punches Owen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Owen say that he saves in his dream?
2. How do Hester and Johnny respond to Owen's transfer?
3. Why does Owen want to repeat the ninth grade?
4. Whose name does Owen think that he has seen on the gravestone?
5. For his new sport, Owen has perfected a new skill. How long does he give himself to perform this new skill?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)