|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Johnny work in the summer of his first year at the University?
(a) He doesn't have a job.
(b) At Old Freddy's.
(c) At Gravesend Academy.
(d) At Meany Granite.
2. What city do Owen and Johnny travel to on their holiday from school?
3. Who, from Tabitha's past life, does Owen set up an appointment for the boys to meet?
(a) Tabitha's childhood neighbor.
(b) Tabitha's elementary school teacher.
(c) Tabitha's singing teacher.
(d) Tabitha's first boyfriend.
4. With everything that goes wrong in the pageant, how does the audience respond to the show?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) They are enthralled.
(c) They are frustrated.
(d) They are amused.
5. Why does Owen want to repeat the ninth grade?
(a) Because he wishes to excel higher than the other students.
(b) Because Johnny also has to.
(c) Because he is fearful that he won't be able to keep up.
(d) Because he wants to experience all of high school.
6. How does Johnny react to Owen's date for the dance?
(a) He is furious.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is amused.
7. What does Dan believe will disappear once Owen begins his schooling at Gravesend?
(a) He religious zeal.
(b) His laughter.
(c) His zest for life.
(d) His eccentricities.
8. Who is Canon Mackie?
(a) A co-worker of Dan Needham.
(b) A neighbor of Aunt Martha.
(c) A friend of Johnny.
(d) A friend of Owen.
9. Whose name does Owen think that he has seen on the gravestone?
(a) His own.
(c) Dan Needham's.
10. Which character seems to have insider information on the brewing affair between JFK and Marilyn Monroe?
(a) Dick Jarvits.
(b) Larry Lick.
(c) Harold Crosby.
(d) Noah Eastman.
11. For his new sport, Owen has perfected a new skill. How long does he give himself to perform this new skill?
(a) Fourteen minutes.
(b) Four minutes.
(c) Fourteen seconds.
(d) Four seconds.
12. What is Hester protesting?
(b) Being kicked out of school.
(c) The new headmaster.
(d) The Vietnam War.
13. What event in Johnny's life does he feel still stuck in?
(a) The days with the armadillo.
(b) The summer he spent with Hester.
(c) The Christmas Pageant.
(d) The final baseball game.
14. Who/what does Owen think that the nuns torture?
(b) Laboratory rats.
(c) Each other.
(d) The students.
15. Who asks Johnny to reevaluate his future, saying that he doesn't have much time?
(a) Ginger Brinker-Smith.
(b) Hester Eastman.
(d) Dan Needham.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies on the evening of the Christmas performance?
2. What is Owen doing when Johnny finds him backstage?
3. When Owen looks forward to his future, what does he claim will be the unifying emotion of his generation?
4. What does Owen write in an attempt to coax Johnny's father out of hiding?
5. What year is it when the two boys begin at the University?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)