|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For his new sport, Owen needs a partner to help him. Who does he choose?
(a) Dan Needham.
(c) Hester Eastman.
(d) Harry Hoyt.
2. What behavior of Hester's becomes a worry for her cousin, Johnny.
(a) Her gambling.
(b) Her drinking.
(c) Her cursing.
(d) Her smoking.
3. What brand of cigarettes does Owen smoke?
(a) Virginia Slims.
4. Who does Owen say that he saves in his dream?
(b) Hester Eastman.
(c) His military troop.
(d) Vietnamese children.
5. Who/what does Owen think that the nuns torture?
(b) Laboratory rats.
(c) Each other.
(d) The students.
6. Whose lines does Owen loudly whisper after the actor has forgotten them?
(b) Barb Wiggins'.
(c) Harold Crosby's.
(d) Dan Needham's.
7. For his new sport, Owen has perfected a new skill. How long does he give himself to perform this new skill?
(a) Four minutes.
(b) Fourteen seconds.
(c) Fourteen minutes.
(d) Four seconds.
8. How do Hester and Johnny respond to Owen's transfer?
(a) They are ecstatic.
(b) They are relieved.
(c) They are saddened.
(d) They are apathetic.
9. Where does Owen ask Johnny to meet him?
(a) At the monument shop.
(b) At the Episcopalian church.
(c) At Gravesend Academy.
(d) At Meany Quarry.
10. What happens when Owen takes Scrooge to his grave in "The Christmas Carol"?
(a) He faints.
(b) He forgets his lines.
(c) He walks straight off stage.
(d) He stumbles into grave.
11. How does Owen respond when Dan suggests that he invite his parents to the play performance?
(a) He is unsure how they will respond to the play's subject matter.
(b) He says "yes."
(c) He is unsure whether his parents will want to come.
(d) He says "no."
12. How does Owen respond to Barb Wiggins' teasing?
(a) He spits on her shoes.
(b) He doesn't even notice.
(c) He becomes aroused.
(d) He punches her in the face.
13. How is the audience for Dan Needham's play affected by Owen's performance in the Christmas pageant?
(a) The house is nearly empty.
(b) The audience seems unaffected.
(c) The audience heckles throughout the entire show.
(d) The house is packed.
14. Why does Owen want to repeat the ninth grade?
(a) Because he wishes to excel higher than the other students.
(b) Because he is fearful that he won't be able to keep up.
(c) Because Johnny also has to.
(d) Because he wants to experience all of high school.
15. What does Mrs. Wheelwright (Johnny's grandmother) decide to purchase after the two major deaths of the year?
(a) A computer.
(b) A telephone.
(c) A television.
(d) An automobile.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Barb Wiggins loses control of the angel during the Christmas pageant?
2. What realization does Johnny make during the performance of "A Christmas Carol"?
3. Who asks Johnny to reevaluate his future, saying that he doesn't have much time?
4. What does Owen steal from the school after he is expelled?
5. What does Owen keep detailed notes on in his journal?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)