|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Diana find herself under the care of in Chapter 2?
2. What relation is Diana to Sophia?
3. What language does Maturin use to enter his personal observations in his diary?
4. What is the primary development in Chapter 4?
5. Who owns a personal estate just across the border in Spain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events act as catalysts to drive Captain Aubrey away from England and toward France?
2. How does Captain Aubrey turn the sources of negativity at Pullings's celebratory dinner into positive ones?
3. How do Diana and Sophia differ in demeanor and personality?
4. Can the route to Spain suggested to Aubrey and Maturin by Christy-Palliere be considered safe or dangerous?
5. How does Adam Scriven help Aubrey cope with his fear of being confined to debtor's prison?
6. What are some of the actions and activities that Aubrey engages in upon his return to England with Maturin demonstrate his wealth?
7. Why does Aubrey want the Indiaman Lord Nelson captured by vessels such as an English cutter or the H.M.S. Seagull?
8. What prevents Captain Aubrey from returning to the Admiralty in time for assignment to a prime sea command?
9. What does Diana Villiers have in common with her three cousins, the Williams sisters?
10. What are some of the instances in which Aubrey openly tries to avoid debt collectors in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay explaining what traits Diana Villiers possesses that make her irresistibly attractive to both Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin? What is her purpose in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Within a day's time, Captain Jack Aubrey transforms from the life of a wealthy gentleman of means to living the life of a penniless bum. Do you agree or disagree that a transformation of that type could take place within such an abbreviated period of time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Captain Jack Aubrey is chased by debt collectors throughout the book, but is never caught and never pays back his debtors. Write an essay describing the elements and circumstances that he uses to remain elusive throughout, and state whether or not his debt-collector-dodging tactics diminishes his position as role model and leader.
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)