|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Richard Canning is a Jew, a powerful businessman, and incredibly __________________.
2. What year do the events in Chapter 4 take place?
3. What language does Doctor Maturin use to write scientific observations in his diary?
4. What official at the Admiralty does Captain Aubrey meet with to discuss obtaining a sea command?
5. What century serves as the setting for Post Captain?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Williams attempt to reserve Captain Aubrey for her daughter, Sophia?
2. What does Aubrey learn about upon regaining consciousness after the battle?
3. What Admiralty-related issues serve to further convince the Captain to leave England?
4. What type of experiences has Diana Villiers had in contrast to those of her cousins, the Williams sisters?
5. What does Diana Villiers have in common with her three cousins, the Williams sisters?
6. How does Captain Aubrey turn the sources of negativity at Pullings's celebratory dinner into positive ones?
7. How do Diana and Sophia differ in demeanor and personality?
8. How do Sophia and Diana defy their respective personality traits and demeanors in their pursuit of Captain Aubrey?
9. Why does Captain Aubrey feel compelled to warn Doctor Maturin about the highwaymen?
10. What makes Captain Griffiths waver in his determination to press home an attack against the French frigate that the Charwell has been chasing throughout the night?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Doctor Maturin perpetually seeks approval and affection from Diana Villiers while the crew aboard the Polychrest seeks approval and respect from First Lieutenant Parker. Diana repeatedly rejects the Doctor, and treats him cruelly. Parker repeatedly rejects the Polychrest crew and treats them with cruelty. Write an essay focusing on whether or not either Maturin or the Polychrest crew will ever be able to gain the approval that they seek. Support your position with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the friendship between Captain Jack Aubrey and Doctor Stephen Maturin survives despite Aubrey having to tolerate some of Maturin's idiosyncrasies. The captain also enjoys pleasant and quality time with Maturin. Write an essay comparing the amount of pleasant and quality time that the captain spends with the doctor with the amount of time that he spends exercising tolerance toward the doctor's antics. Opine whether or not maintaining the friendship is beneficial to the captain. Support your position with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The novel shifts between periods of war and peace. Write an essay focusing on whether you feel that peace or war is more prevalent throughout Post Captain.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)