|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long is Captain Aubrey and Doctor Stephen Maturin's trek across France?
2. Who is Captain Aubrey's ship master aboard the Polychrest?
3. How can Diana's family be labeled on a socio-economic basis?
4. What does Adam Scriven try to do to Aubrey while the Captain is out walking around town one night?
5. As Chapter 1 opens, Captain Jack Aubrey holds what naval position?
Short Essay Questions
1. What taints the celebratory supper hosted by Tom Pullings family?
2. What events act as catalysts to drive Captain Aubrey away from England and toward France?
3. How do Aubrey and Maturin react to one another's romantic interest in Diana?
4. How do Sophia and Diana defy their respective personality traits and demeanors in their pursuit of Captain Aubrey?
5. What do Aubrey and Maturin engage in with their host, French Captain Christy-Palliere during their first few days in Toulon?
6. What does Aubrey learn about upon regaining consciousness after the battle?
7. Why does Aubrey want the Indiaman Lord Nelson captured by vessels such as an English cutter or the H.M.S. Seagull?
8. How does Adam Scriven help Aubrey cope with his fear of being confined to debtor's prison?
9. What are some of the instances in which Aubrey openly tries to avoid debt collectors in Chapter 6?
10. How are Bellone's men able to board the Indiaman Lord Nelson during the naval engagement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Two love triangles take form, become apparent, and last throughout the book. Write an essay detailing examples comprising their competition. Opine who, if anyone, is likely to win at the game of love and explain why.
Essay Topic 2
A common thread throughout Post Captain is the emotional distress inflicted by Diana upon Doctor Maturin. Midway through the book, Matutrin states that he deplores the mistreatment of men, after having witnessed the abusive treatment of the Polychrest crew by Lieutenant Parker. Write an essay focusing on the irony in Maturin's statement concerning his abhorrence toward the mistreatment of men. Examine the validity of his statement in relation to his actions that repeatedly place him in the presence of Diana and result in emotional pain.
Essay Topic 3
Captain Aubrey flees arrest from both debt collectors and Napoleon Bonaparte. Compare the measures that Aubrey takes in both instances to preserve his freedom. Which measures appear more drastic than the others and why?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)