|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of lifestyle are thousands of sailors released to following the war between England and France?
2. What language does Maturin use to enter his personal observations in his diary?
3. What two sailors who had previously sailed with Aubrey sign up to crew the Polychrest?
4. Who is the French military and political leader who declares war on England?
5. Who is the captainof the Indiaman that Aubrey and Maturin board in Gibraltar?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Captain Aubrey and Doctor Maturin lend their support to England in its war against France?
2. What prevents Captain Aubrey from returning to the Admiralty in time for assignment to a prime sea command?
3. How do the eligible bachelors from Polcary Downs socialize with the eligible women next door at Mapes Court?
4. How does Mrs. Williams attempt to reserve Captain Aubrey for her daughter, Sophia?
5. What are some of the actions and activities that Aubrey engages in upon his return to England with Maturin demonstrate his wealth?
6. What are some of the instances in which Aubrey openly tries to avoid debt collectors in Chapter 6?
7. What does Aubrey learn about upon regaining consciousness after the battle?
8. Can the route to Spain suggested to Aubrey and Maturin by Christy-Palliere be considered safe or dangerous?
9. How do Sophia and Diana defy their respective personality traits and demeanors in their pursuit of Captain Aubrey?
10. How is Pullings instrumental in helping Captain Aubrey recruit crew members for the Polychrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within a day's time, Captain Jack Aubrey transforms from the life of a wealthy gentleman of means to living the life of a penniless bum. Do you agree or disagree that a transformation of that type could take place within such an abbreviated period of time? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, the friendship between Captain Jack Aubrey and Doctor Stephen Maturin survives despite Aubrey having to tolerate some of Maturin's idiosyncrasies. The captain also enjoys pleasant and quality time with Maturin. Write an essay comparing the amount of pleasant and quality time that the captain spends with the doctor with the amount of time that he spends exercising tolerance toward the doctor's antics. Opine whether or not maintaining the friendship is beneficial to the captain. Support your position with examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Captain Jack Aubrey is chased by debt collectors throughout the book, but is never caught and never pays back his debtors. Write an essay describing the elements and circumstances that he uses to remain elusive throughout, and state whether or not his debt-collector-dodging tactics diminishes his position as role model and leader.
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)