|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What occurs between Captain Aubrey and Doctor Stephen Maturin as they leave the French port and head back to England?
(a) They re-establish their friendship.
(b) They agree to engage in a duel over Diana upon their return to England.
(c) They remain at odds with one another.
(d) They plot to confront Diana about the true nature of her association with Richard Canning.
2. Who gives Aubrey the good news that he is being made Post Captain?
(a) Admiral Haddock.
(b) Lord Melville.
(c) Sir Joseph.
(d) Admiral Harte.
3. Post Captain Aubrey does not have the ____________ to support the training of his crew for battle against the French.
4. Who does Doctor Maturin recommend be dispatched to intercept the Spanish treasure ships carrying the gold bound for Cadiz?
(a) Captain Aubrey.
(b) Sea Master Goodridge.
(c) Marine Captain MacDonald.
(d) First Lieutenant Parker.
5. What does the shooting up of insignificant French holdings along the coast qualify the action to be labeled?
(a) Wasting resources.
(b) Advance warning.
(c) Military drill.
(d) An engagement.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much of a full crew is Captain Aubrey missing with only thirty-three crewmen aboard the Polychrest?
2. Who does Diana Villiers run off with, much to Doctor Maturin's dismay?
3. Which word below is synonymous with punctilious?
4. Aubrey's sea command transports an officer's ______________ on one voyage.
5. The Polychrest ends its voyage to the French port by___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doctor Maturin demonstrate his desire to continue cultivating his friendship with Captain Aubrey despite any differences that the two men may have had in the past?
2. How does Doctor Maturin continue to agonize over Diana?
3. Does Admiral Harte's criticism of Aubrey for foregoing duty over personal wealth in the encounter with the Spanish frigate seem to affect the Captain emotionally? Why or why not?
4. How is Captain Aubrey lauded for his actions and capture of the Fanciulla upon his return to England?
5. How does Post Captain Aubrey manage to get the government to finance the practicing of great guns aboard the H.M.S. Lively?
6. Why does Maturin attempt to camouflage his trip to Spain with a trip to Ireland?
7. What is Doctor Maturin's motive in encouraging Sophia to be more forward with Captain Aubrey?
8. How does the Aubrey display his happiness in being promoted to Post Captain?
9. What is the Polychrest's ultimate fate?
10. How do the officers and crew on the H.M.S. Lively differ from the officers and crew on the Polychrest?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)