|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Aubrey's steward foodstuffs to take on board the Polychrest.
2. What type of subject matter do Maturin and MacDonald like to discuss?
3. How much of a full crew is Captain Aubrey missing with only thirty-three crewmen aboard the Polychrest?
(b) One fifth.
(d) One fourth.
4. What does the Admiralty order the Polychrest to do upon reaching a particular French port?
(a) Attack the port and destroy a particular ship.
(b) Deliver French prisoners who have been held captive in England and Pick up some British prisoners who have been held in France.
(c) Pick up rations for the sailors and medicine for the infirmary aboard the Polychrest.
(d) Deliver wheat to the French and pick up fine fabrics for new uniforms for the Admiralty.
5. How many days does Doctor Maturin's foreign intelligence trip last?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is inspired to learn to swim after Aubrey's heroic rescue?
2. At the end of Chapter 9, which ship runs aground?
3. What does Aubrey forgo in favor of professional duty?.
4. Who is the subject of the wisecracks that Smithers shares with Doctor Maturin?
5. Who does Doctor Maturin inform about a gold shipment from the River Plate bound for Cadiz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the ways that Post Captain Aubrey shows his belief that he and members of his squadron will be able to keep any treasure that they reap from the Spanish treasure ships?
2. How do Captain Aubrey and his crew manage to free the Polychrest after it runs aground?
3. How does the Aubrey display his happiness in being promoted to Post Captain?
4. How is Captain Aubrey lauded for his actions and capture of the Fanciulla upon his return to England?
5. What is the reason that Diana leaves Mapes Court?
6. How does Captain Aubrey demonstrate being a true friend to Dr. Maturin despite any differences that he and Doctor Maturin may have had in the past?
7. How do Goodridge, Parker, and Aubrey solve the Polychrest's speed and maneuverability problems?
8. How does Doctor Maturin continue to agonize over Diana?
9. What makes it difficult for the Polychrest to enter the French port where the target ship is located?
10. How is Captain Aubrey able to abort a nascent mutiny aboard the Polychrest?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)