|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sophia label and caution Maturin about as being a difficult case?
2. What does Doctor Maturin win from Smithers?
(a) His two black stallions.
(b) Over a year's wages.
(c) Thirty silver coins.
(d) Fifty gold coins.
3. In Chapter 9, which of the ships listed below is involved in a fierce naval engagement with the Polychrest?
(b) S.S. Seagull.
(c) S.S. Colinot.
(d) L'Brigade du France.
4. What dots the scenery along the French coast?
(a) Fortresses and observation towers.
(b) Farms and wineries.
(c) Chateaus and churches.
(d) Chateaus and schoolhouses.
5. Who informs Captain Aubrey that mutiny may be imminent aboard the Polychrest?
(a) Ship Master Goodridge.
(b) Doctor Stephen Maturin.
(c) CrewmanTom Pullings.
(d) First Lieutenant Parker.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin discover upon arriving at Diana's cousin's house?
2. Post Captain Aubrey is lectured by Doctor Maturin about the manifest intelligence of _____________.
3. Upon the capture of the Spanish treasure ships, what part of Aubrey's life does Aubrey consider to be over?
4. Which navy used the archaic term Post Captain to distinguish an actual rank from an acting position?
5. What does Captain Aubrey expresses regret about to Doctor Maturin while the two men are aboard the H.M.S. Lively?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Doctor Maturin continue to agonize over Diana?
2. What makes it difficult for the Polychrest to enter the French port where the target ship is located?
3. How do Smithers and Maturin even the score with one another?
4. How does Maturin cope with his break with Aubrey?
5. How does Aubrey show compassion and remorse regarding his previous dealings with Sophia?
6. How is Captain Aubrey able to abort a nascent mutiny aboard the Polychrest?
7. Why does Maturin attempt to camouflage his trip to Spain with a trip to Ireland?
8. How does Captain Aubrey inspire Doctor Maturin to want to learn to swim?
9. What are the differences in the handling of disciplinary matters aboard the H.M.S. Lively, compared to those aboard the Polychrest?
10. What are some of the ways that Post Captain Aubrey shows his belief that he and members of his squadron will be able to keep any treasure that they reap from the Spanish treasure ships?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)