|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With which family member did Benjamin work as an apprentice?
2. What is the name of the person who brags that she is beauty?
3. What is the best way to serve God according to Franklin?
4. Which of the following items is something that cannot stand upright on its own?
5. What precious metal is referred to by Franklin in this section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Franklin has many views regarding the value and length of a person's life. What does the author say?
2. It is strongly advised for one to pay heed to which proverb dealing with faults?
3. What does Franklin have to say about starting a new year?
4. What popular modern saying about men and their toys is covered by Franklin on Page 32?
5. What are the things that will lead a person to realize fortune or wealth?
6. What is Franklin's moral advice on placing oneself above others?
7. When was the original almanack published?
8. Franklin expresses his opinion throughout about the sharpness of a woman's tongue. How does it compare to a man's heart?
9. What famous poet and philosopher is paid homage by Franklin? What was the poet known for posthumously?
10. What part of the almanack may be difficult for people of today to understand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Silence is golden may be the motto for many of Franklin's sayings. Why does Franklin warn against speaking too much or too often, even on topics of interest? Why does speaking often cause trouble when there is none? Do you think that speaking your mind can cause trouble? What is Franklin's opinion on a woman and excessive talking? Do you agree or disagree with Franklin's thoughts? What are the Constitutional references to free speech? To what areas do they apply?
Essay Topic 2
Franklin makes references to letters and mail in the almanack. It is also shared that Franklin had a great deal to do with the development of the United States Post Office. Research and write a 1000 word essay on the post office and Franklin's involvement. Who is responsible for creating the post office? Was it an elected or appointed job? How is the post office different today than it was in Franklin's day? What services are supplied at the post office today that were not offered in Franklin's day?
Essay Topic 3
One must be careful not to be quick to judge others or point out their faults. Part of that theory can be related to pride or humility. It can also be related to the fact that many people find it much easier to point out the faults of others than to recognize and face their own. Why is it difficult to face one's own faults? What are some faults that you see in other as well as yourself? Are there any faults in you that can be deemed irreparable or unforgivable? If so, what? What are some ways in which you might begin to recognize and repair your own faults? How can you refrain from pointing out the faults of others?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)