|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Orleanna put Ruth May's body?
2. What is the safe place that Ruth May thinks of in case she dies?
3. How long after the Congo's independence does Congress look into the United States' secret operations?
4. What does Leah create controversy over wanting to do?
5. Who is the last of Leah and Anatole's children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orleanna do after Ruth May's death? Why does she do this?
2. What does Leah tell Anatole? What does he tell her in return? Why do you think he responds this way?
3. Why do you think Adah says that the loss of life isn't always unwelcome?
4. Orleanna characterizes Nathan as someone who stands still. What does she mean by this?
5. What does Nelson give to Ruth May? What does he tell her to do with it?
6. How has the Congo changed the Prices?
7. What does Tata Ndu want from the family in Book 3? How does the family respond?
8. Why do you think Ruth May chooses a green mamba as the place that she wanted to be when she died?
9. Why does Rachel think that she can't go back to the United States now?
10. What regrets does Orleanna voice about her family and the situation in the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character in the novel do you think that you are most like? Why do you think you are like this character? Which character do you think you are least like? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The Prices change during their time in the Congo. Discuss how the changes affect the family, including:
1) Which character do you think changed the most? How did this character change?
2) Which character changed the least? In what ways does the character remain the same?
3) How does the family itself change from the beginning of the book to the end?
Essay Topic 3
Kingsolver explores the themes of freedom and captivity in the novel. Where can these themes be seen in the novel (family, village, country)? What are the prices that freedom and captivity come with in the novel for the Congo and various characters?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)