|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes Orleanna's only purpose after Ruth May's death?
2. What never occurred to Orleanna before Ruth May died?
3. What does Leah create controversy over wanting to do?
4. Why can't the mother and daughters go to Kilanga?
5. What animal did the people around Lusambo think Nathan could turn into before they killed him?
Essay Topic 1
Kingsolver brings the United States into the novel in several different ways. What role did the United States play in the Congo at a national and village level? What does Kingsolver seem to think about the United States' role in the events in the Congo? Do you think the United States should have been involved in the Congo?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Kingsolver chose the name "The Poisonwood Bible" for the novel? What does the poisonwood tree represent in the novel? What might be an alternative title for the novel that captures what is it about?
Essay Topic 3
Children are often noted as being more observant. Do you think Ruth May was more observant than other members of her family? What things did she see that her other family members did not? Do you think that her curious nature got her into trouble?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)