|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Patrice Lumumba?
2. What is the name of the hotel that Rachel owns?
3. According to Ruth May, who is last in the family?
4. What animal does Leah kill during the big hunt?
5. When was the last time that the mother and her three daughters were all together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Anatole find in his hut? What is this a sign of? What happens to Anatole?
2. Who is Brother Fowles? How is he different from Nathan?
3. Why do you think that Leah now feels uncomfortable in the United States?
4. How is Orleanna changed when she finally gets up from bed? Who does she influence?
5. What do you think Kingsolver means when she has the woman in the market say that there has never been a village past Bulungu and that she doesn't know of anywhere called Kilanga?
6. What does Nelson give to Ruth May? What does he tell her to do with it?
7. Orleanna characterizes Nathan as someone who stands still. What does she mean by this?
8. Why do you think Ruth May chooses a green mamba as the place that she wanted to be when she died?
9. What happens to Rachel in her life? Do you think she is happy?
10. What happens to Ruth May at the end of Book 4? What happens after this event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which character in the novel do you think that you are most like? Why do you think you are like this character? Which character do you think you are least like? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Kingsolver narrates the novel through five characters. How does she make the characters sound and feel different? What effect does the five narrators have on the novel? Why do you think Kingsolver used this device in the novel? What unique insights does each character give about the Congo, the family, or other aspects of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Anatole and what he represents. What is Anatole's background and what does he become? What does he symbolize at a national level? Why is someone like Anatole often viewed as dangerous?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)