|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the last of Leah and Anatole's children?
2. Which family member refuses to take any responsibility for what happened to Ruth May?
3. The Prices make it look like Rachel is engaged to whom?
4. Who does the green mamba bite?
5. What does Orleanna do when she reaches the edge of the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Brother Fowles? How is he different from Nathan?
2. Why do you think Adah says that the loss of life isn't always unwelcome?
3. Why do you think Adah begins to speak after Ruth May's death when she chose to remain silent before it?
4. What does Nelson give to Ruth May? What does he tell her to do with it?
5. What do you think Kingsolver means when she has the woman in the market say that there has never been a village past Bulungu and that she doesn't know of anywhere called Kilanga?
6. What happens during the big hunt?
7. How is Orleanna changed when she finally gets up from bed? Who does she influence?
8. What living creature invades Kilanga? What do the villagers do?
9. What does Tata Ndu want from the family in Book 3? How does the family respond?
10. What happens to Ruth May at the end of Book 4? What happens after this event?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of the green mamba in the novel? Why do you think Ruth May chose to think of the green mamba instead of somewhere else?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the religions, cultures, and other differences between the Congo and the United States. Which characters in the novel seem to bridge these differences? Which ones do not?
Essay Topic 3
Kingsolver brings the United States into the novel in several different ways. What role did the United States play in the Congo at a national and village level? What does Kingsolver seem to think about the United States' role in the events in the Congo? Do you think the United States should have been involved in the Congo?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)