|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Adah go to school?
2. How long after the Congo's independence does Congress look into the United States' secret operations?
3. What does Rachel choose to save from the house?
4. What does Adah study in her work?
5. What does Nelson say is on the chicken house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does each of the girls go after Ruth May's death?
2. Orleanna characterizes Nathan as someone who stands still. What does she mean by this?
3. What happens to Ruth May at the end of Book 4? What happens after this event?
4. What happens to Rachel in her life? Do you think she is happy?
5. What does Anatole find in his hut? What is this a sign of? What happens to Anatole?
6. How has the Congo changed the Prices?
7. How is Orleanna changed when she finally gets up from bed? Who does she influence?
8. Who is Brother Fowles? How is he different from Nathan?
9. What does Leah tell Anatole? What does he tell her in return? Why do you think he responds this way?
10. What regrets does Orleanna voice about her family and the situation in the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Kingsolver chose the name "The Poisonwood Bible" for the novel? What does the poisonwood tree represent in the novel? What might be an alternative title for the novel that captures what is it about?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Anatole and what he represents. What is Anatole's background and what does he become? What does he symbolize at a national level? Why is someone like Anatole often viewed as dangerous?
Essay Topic 3
Trace the development and changes in Leah's relationship with her father throughout the novel. How does Leah feel about her father in the beginning of the novel? When do her feelings toward him start to change? How does she end up feeling about and relating to Nathan?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)