|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what illness does Leah become sick?
2. How long after the Congo's independence does Congress look into the United States' secret operations?
3. Where does Orleanna put Ruth May's body?
4. What does Anatole find in his bed before the big hunt?
5. Who has not changed in the Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has the Congo changed the Prices?
2. What does Anatole find in his hut? What is this a sign of? What happens to Anatole?
3. Why do you think that Leah now feels uncomfortable in the United States?
4. Why do you think Adah says that the loss of life isn't always unwelcome?
5. Why do you think Adah begins to speak after Ruth May's death when she chose to remain silent before it?
6. What happens to Rachel in her life? Do you think she is happy?
7. What does Leah want to do with the men in the village? Who is not happy about this? How does Leah get her way?
8. What does Leah tell Anatole? What does he tell her in return? Why do you think he responds this way?
9. What living creature invades Kilanga? What do the villagers do?
10. Where does each of the girls go after Ruth May's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Nathan Price can be viewed as a symbol of colonial oppression. Discuss the similarities and differences between Nathan's treatment of the villagers in Kilanga and the Belgium's treatment of the Congo. How does Nathan illustrate the racial tension and intolerance that was often practiced in Africa by colonial powers?
Essay Topic 2
Kingsolver explores the themes of freedom and captivity in the novel. Where can these themes be seen in the novel (family, village, country)? What are the prices that freedom and captivity come with in the novel for the Congo and various characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happens to each of the three remaining daughters after Ruth May's death. Include in your answer the following:
1) How did the Congo change each person?
2) How did Ruth May's death affect each person?
3) Which of the three girls emerges from the Congo the strongest?
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)