|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what illness does Leah become sick?
2. What makes everyone run to the river?
3. What is Leah learning?
4. For what does Adah think that Mother waits?
5. The way that Nathan pronounces "Bangala" makes the word mean what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does each of the girls go after Ruth May's death?
2. How is Orleanna changed when she finally gets up from bed? Who does she influence?
3. What regrets does Orleanna voice about her family and the situation in the Congo?
4. What do you think Kingsolver means when she has the woman in the market say that there has never been a village past Bulungu and that she doesn't know of anywhere called Kilanga?
5. How has the Congo changed the Prices?
6. What happens to Rachel in her life? Do you think she is happy?
7. What happens during the big hunt?
8. Why does Rachel think that she can't go back to the United States now?
9. What does Tata Ndu want from the family in Book 3? How does the family respond?
10. What does Leah want to do with the men in the village? Who is not happy about this? How does Leah get her way?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Poisonwood Bible, Orleanna's narrative looks back in time, while the other characters narrate from the present.
1) Why do you think Kingsolver included one narrative that looks back in time?
2) What does this type of narration add to the novel?
3) Why do you think Orleanna's character is the one looking back?
Essay Topic 2
Kingsolver explores the themes of freedom and captivity in the novel. Where can these themes be seen in the novel (family, village, country)? What are the prices that freedom and captivity come with in the novel for the Congo and various characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Anatole and what he represents. What is Anatole's background and what does he become? What does he symbolize at a national level? Why is someone like Anatole often viewed as dangerous?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)