|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Orleanna do with the furniture?
2. Which family member refuses to take any responsibility for what happened to Ruth May?
3. What makes everyone run to the river?
4. What does Tata Ndu want from the Prices?
5. Where does Brother Fowles and his family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tata Ndu want from the family in Book 3? How does the family respond?
2. What living creature invades Kilanga? What do the villagers do?
3. Orleanna characterizes Nathan as someone who stands still. What does she mean by this?
4. What regrets does Orleanna voice about her family and the situation in the Congo?
5. Who is Brother Fowles? How is he different from Nathan?
6. What happens to Ruth May at the end of Book 4? What happens after this event?
7. What happens during the big hunt?
8. What do you think Kingsolver means when she has the woman in the market say that there has never been a village past Bulungu and that she doesn't know of anywhere called Kilanga?
9. Why do you think Adah says that the loss of life isn't always unwelcome?
10. What happened to Patrice Lumumba?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the development and changes in Leah's relationship with her father throughout the novel. How does Leah feel about her father in the beginning of the novel? When do her feelings toward him start to change? How does she end up feeling about and relating to Nathan?
Essay Topic 2
The Prices change during their time in the Congo. Discuss how the changes affect the family, including:
1) Which character do you think changed the most? How did this character change?
2) Which character changed the least? In what ways does the character remain the same?
3) How does the family itself change from the beginning of the book to the end?
Essay Topic 3
Children are often noted as being more observant. Do you think Ruth May was more observant than other members of her family? What things did she see that her other family members did not? Do you think that her curious nature got her into trouble?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)