|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Rachel on her birthday?
2. Where does Rachel go after Ruth May's death?
3. Where does Orleanna put Ruth May's body?
4. What does the chapter imply that Ruth May has become?
5. Why do the mother and daughters want to go back to Kilanga?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Adah says that the loss of life isn't always unwelcome?
2. What living creature invades Kilanga? What do the villagers do?
3. What regrets does Orleanna voice about her family and the situation in the Congo?
4. Orleanna characterizes Nathan as someone who stands still. What does she mean by this?
5. What does Anatole find in his hut? What is this a sign of? What happens to Anatole?
6. What happens to Rachel in her life? Do you think she is happy?
7. What does Leah tell Anatole? What does he tell her in return? Why do you think he responds this way?
8. What does Nelson give to Ruth May? What does he tell her to do with it?
9. Who is Brother Fowles? How is he different from Nathan?
10. How has the Congo changed the Prices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what happens to each of the three remaining daughters after Ruth May's death. Include in your answer the following:
1) How did the Congo change each person?
2) How did Ruth May's death affect each person?
3) Which of the three girls emerges from the Congo the strongest?
Essay Topic 2
Kingsolver narrates the novel through five characters. How does she make the characters sound and feel different? What effect does the five narrators have on the novel? Why do you think Kingsolver used this device in the novel? What unique insights does each character give about the Congo, the family, or other aspects of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The Prices change during their time in the Congo. Discuss how the changes affect the family, including:
1) Which character do you think changed the most? How did this character change?
2) Which character changed the least? In what ways does the character remain the same?
3) How does the family itself change from the beginning of the book to the end?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)