|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long after the Congo's independence does Congress look into the United States' secret operations?
2. What does the old woman give to Mother?
3. What do the girls find when they take Ruth May's bed away from the wall?
4. What never occurred to Orleanna before Ruth May died?
5. What happens to Patrice Lumumba?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ruth May at the end of Book 4? What happens after this event?
2. What does Tata Ndu want from the family in Book 3? How does the family respond?
3. What does Leah tell Anatole? What does he tell her in return? Why do you think he responds this way?
4. Why do you think that Leah now feels uncomfortable in the United States?
5. What do Rachel and Adah learn? From where do they each learn this?
6. What regrets does Orleanna voice about her family and the situation in the Congo?
7. Why does Rachel think that she can't go back to the United States now?
8. Where does each of the girls go after Ruth May's death?
9. Why do you think Adah says that the loss of life isn't always unwelcome?
10. How has the Congo changed the Prices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kingsolver explores the themes of freedom and captivity in the novel. Where can these themes be seen in the novel (family, village, country)? What are the prices that freedom and captivity come with in the novel for the Congo and various characters?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Kingsolver chose the name "The Poisonwood Bible" for the novel? What does the poisonwood tree represent in the novel? What might be an alternative title for the novel that captures what is it about?
Essay Topic 3
The Prices change during their time in the Congo. Discuss how the changes affect the family, including:
1) Which character do you think changed the most? How did this character change?
2) Which character changed the least? In what ways does the character remain the same?
3) How does the family itself change from the beginning of the book to the end?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)