|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nathan preach about in the boat?
2. What did Ruth May see in Eeban Axelroot's plane?
3. In Book 6, where do Leah and Anatole live?
4. Where does Brother Fowles and his family live?
5. Which baby does Orleanna think overtakes the mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tata Ndu want from the family in Book 3? How does the family respond?
2. What happened to Patrice Lumumba?
3. What does Anatole find in his hut? What is this a sign of? What happens to Anatole?
4. What living creature invades Kilanga? What do the villagers do?
5. Why do you think Ruth May chooses a green mamba as the place that she wanted to be when she died?
6. What do you think Kingsolver means when she has the woman in the market say that there has never been a village past Bulungu and that she doesn't know of anywhere called Kilanga?
7. How has the Congo changed the Prices?
8. What does Leah tell Anatole? What does he tell her in return? Why do you think he responds this way?
9. Why do you think Adah begins to speak after Ruth May's death when she chose to remain silent before it?
10. What happens to Rachel in her life? Do you think she is happy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A number of symbols are used within the novel. Choose one symbol and answer the following?
1) What is the symbol and what does it represent?
2) How does Kingsolver use the symbol in the novel?
3) Trace the symbol through the novel and note when it appears.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Nathan Price and Brother Fowles. How are their attitudes and approaches toward the village of Kilanga and the Congo different? What do you think each represents or symbolizes within the book?
Essay Topic 3
The Prices change during their time in the Congo. Discuss how the changes affect the family, including:
1) Which character do you think changed the most? How did this character change?
2) Which character changed the least? In what ways does the character remain the same?
3) How does the family itself change from the beginning of the book to the end?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)