|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which baby does Orleanna think overtakes the mother?
2. The way that Nathan pronounces "Bangala" makes the word mean what?
3. What makes everyone run to the river?
4. Where are the woman and her three children in Book 7?
5. Nelson thinks what stole Ruth May's soul?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kingsolver brings the United States into the novel in several different ways. What role did the United States play in the Congo at a national and village level? What does Kingsolver seem to think about the United States' role in the events in the Congo? Do you think the United States should have been involved in the Congo?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Anatole and what he represents. What is Anatole's background and what does he become? What does he symbolize at a national level? Why is someone like Anatole often viewed as dangerous?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happens to each of the three remaining daughters after Ruth May's death. Include in your answer the following:
1) How did the Congo change each person?
2) How did Ruth May's death affect each person?
3) Which of the three girls emerges from the Congo the strongest?
This section contains 987 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)