|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What never occurred to Orleanna before Ruth May died?
2. What does Nathan preach about in the boat?
3. What does Leah kill on the anniversary of Ruth May's death?
4. What does Tata Ndu want from the Prices?
5. What does the old woman give to Mother?
Essay Topic 1
A number of symbols are used within the novel. Choose one symbol and answer the following?
1) What is the symbol and what does it represent?
2) How does Kingsolver use the symbol in the novel?
3) Trace the symbol through the novel and note when it appears.
Essay Topic 2
Kingsolver narrates the novel through five characters. How does she make the characters sound and feel different? What effect does the five narrators have on the novel? Why do you think Kingsolver used this device in the novel? What unique insights does each character give about the Congo, the family, or other aspects of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Nathan Price is the only character from the Price family that does not narrate in the novel. Why do you think he does not have a voice in the novel? What effect does this have on the reader's perception of him and the events of the novel? What does Nathan represent or symbolize in the novel?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)