|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many meals does Orleanna feed her family in the Congo?
2. What happens after Nathan Price gives a blessing at the feast?
3. The tone of Book 1 is one of what?
4. Where does Adah go when she gets home?
5. What are sandals made of in Kilanga?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
2. What happens when the family first arrives in the Congo?
3. What does Orleanna do after Ruth May's death? Why does she do this?
4. What does Nathan want to happen on the day of the church picnic? Does this happen? Why or why not?
5. What happens in Book 2 that makes the Price family and the villagers think that Adah has died? What really happened?
6. How is Adah different than the rest of her family?
7. What does Leah want to do with the men in the village? Who is not happy about this? How does Leah get her way?
8. What happens to Ruth May in Book 2 as she is spying on the Jimmy Crow boys? What does she discover in the events that take place?
9. What happens to Rachel in her life? Do you think she is happy?
10. What regrets does Orleanna voice about her family and the situation in the Congo?
Essay Topic 1
Trace the development and changes in Leah's relationship with her father throughout the novel. How does Leah feel about her father in the beginning of the novel? When do her feelings toward him start to change? How does she end up feeling about and relating to Nathan?
Essay Topic 2
The Prices change during their time in the Congo. Discuss how the changes affect the family, including:
1) Which character do you think changed the most? How did this character change?
2) Which character changed the least? In what ways does the character remain the same?
3) How does the family itself change from the beginning of the book to the end?
Essay Topic 3
Kingsolver brings the United States into the novel in several different ways. What role did the United States play in the Congo at a national and village level? What does Kingsolver seem to think about the United States' role in the events in the Congo? Do you think the United States should have been involved in the Congo?
This section contains 1,034 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)