|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rachel notices that all the women wear what item of clothing?
2. What does Mama Mwanza bring the family?
3. Who comes for dinner at the Price's house?
4. What does Leah picture as her future career?
5. Who believes that the village is in a moral decline because more people are going to church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
2. What does Rachel think about the Congo on the day of the church picnic? How is she different than the people in the Congo?
3. Why do the Underdowns come to Kilanga? How does Nathan respond?
4. What was life like in the Congo for Orleanna?
5. What does the family bring with them to the Congo? What troubles did they have in getting these things to the Congo? How did they solve the problem?
6. Orleanna says that her journey in Africa came to a bad end in Book 1. What do you think will happen that will make Orleanna's journey end badly?
7. What does Book 2 tell us about Nathan and his relationship to the family?
8. What happens to Ruth May's sock monkey? How does she feel about this?
9. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
10. Who does Ruth May think the Congolese are in Book 1? Who are the white people that Ruth May says are now in the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the similarities between the Prices' marriage and the relationship of the Belgians to the Congo? What do you think Nathan and the Belgians should have done differently?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of names in the novel? How are names important for people in the novel? What is the importance of naming something wrong in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happens to each of the three remaining daughters after Ruth May's death. Include in your answer the following:
1) How did the Congo change each person?
2) How did Ruth May's death affect each person?
3) Which of the three girls emerges from the Congo the strongest?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)