|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the parrot's name that was left by Brother Fowles?
2. What are the Prices told is going to happen in the Congo?
3. What do the local women feed their families?
4. Whose job is it to keep an eye on Ruth May?
5. How long does the family plan to stay in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama Tataba quit working for the Prices? Do you agree with her decision?
2. Who is Anatole? Why is Nathan angry with Anatole?
3. What does Nathan want to happen on the day of the church picnic? Does this happen? Why or why not?
4. What is Leah's relationship with her father like in Book 1?
5. Why does Adah think that church should be called the "Church of the Lost Cause." What does Nathan think about this?
6. How does the relationship between the Price girls and the village children change in Book 2?
7. What does the family bring with them to the Congo? What troubles did they have in getting these things to the Congo? How did they solve the problem?
8. What are some of the superstitions that the villagers have? Why do you think they have these superstitions?
9. What does Rachel think about the Congo on the day of the church picnic? How is she different than the people in the Congo?
10. How is Adah different than the rest of her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the religions, cultures, and other differences between the Congo and the United States. Which characters in the novel seem to bridge these differences? Which ones do not?
Essay Topic 2
Nathan Price is the only character from the Price family that does not narrate in the novel. Why do you think he does not have a voice in the novel? What effect does this have on the reader's perception of him and the events of the novel? What does Nathan represent or symbolize in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Children are often noted as being more observant. Do you think Ruth May was more observant than other members of her family? What things did she see that her other family members did not? Do you think that her curious nature got her into trouble?
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)