|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the only thing that Nathan is concerned about?
2. What does Rachel tolerate in Africa that she would not have at home?
3. Mama Mwanza does not have what part of her body?
4. The Prices travel to which country to serve as missionaries?
5. What does Orleanna now look for in her daughters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Orleanna go to the Congo? With whom does she go?
2. How is Adah different than the rest of her family?
3. Who is Anatole? Why is Nathan angry with Anatole?
4. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
5. In Book 1, Rachel feels like the family is "in for it" in the Congo. Why do you think that Rachel feels this way?
6. Where do Nathan and Leah go in Book 2? What do they see?
7. Book 2 opens with a startling revelation about the Price family. What does the Orleanna say is going to happen to the family? What do you think will happen in the rest of the book to make this come true?
8. What happens in Book 2 that makes the Price family and the villagers think that Adah has died? What really happened?
9. Who is Mama Tataba? What does she try to help Nathan with? What does he do with her advice?
10. What is the Verse? Why do the girls get the Verse? Who is really to blame?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the development and changes in Leah's relationship with her father throughout the novel. How does Leah feel about her father in the beginning of the novel? When do her feelings toward him start to change? How does she end up feeling about and relating to Nathan?
Essay Topic 2
What are the similarities between the Prices' marriage and the relationship of the Belgians to the Congo? What do you think Nathan and the Belgians should have done differently?
Essay Topic 3
The Prices change during their time in the Congo. Discuss how the changes affect the family, including:
1) Which character do you think changed the most? How did this character change?
2) Which character changed the least? In what ways does the character remain the same?
3) How does the family itself change from the beginning of the book to the end?
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)