|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nathan Price encounter in the garden?
2. What do the local women feed their families?
3. Where did Orleanna meet Nathan?
4. In what year did Orleanna and her family leave the United States?
5. When did Nathan start hitting Orleanna?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mama Tataba quit working for the Prices? Do you agree with her decision?
2. Orleanna says that her journey in Africa came to a bad end in Book 1. What do you think will happen that will make Orleanna's journey end badly?
3. How does the relationship between the Price girls and the village children change in Book 2?
4. What happens to Ruth May's sock monkey? How does she feel about this?
5. Why do the Underdowns come to Kilanga? How does Nathan respond?
6. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
7. What does Book 2 tell us about Nathan and his relationship to the family?
8. How did Orleanna meet Nathan? How did their relationship change?
9. Why do the people of the village stare at the Prices? Which family member did people used to stare at? Why do you think this person seems more normal to the villagers than the other family members?
10. What does Orleanna remember about Africa in Book 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of names in the novel? How are names important for people in the novel? What is the importance of naming something wrong in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Kingsolver narrates the novel through five characters. How does she make the characters sound and feel different? What effect does the five narrators have on the novel? Why do you think Kingsolver used this device in the novel? What unique insights does each character give about the Congo, the family, or other aspects of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
The Prices change during their time in the Congo. Discuss how the changes affect the family, including:
1) Which character do you think changed the most? How did this character change?
2) Which character changed the least? In what ways does the character remain the same?
3) How does the family itself change from the beginning of the book to the end?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)