|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Mother begin to pray?
2. Which Price daughter is the youngest?
3. How many meals does Orleanna feed her family in the Congo?
4. What do most of the girls Leah's age have in the Congo?
5. Adah has which condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Brother Fowles? How is he different from Nathan?
2. What are some of the superstitions that the villagers have? Why do you think they have these superstitions?
3. Why do the people of the village stare at the Prices? Which family member did people used to stare at? Why do you think this person seems more normal to the villagers than the other family members?
4. What does the family bring with them to the Congo? What troubles did they have in getting these things to the Congo? How did they solve the problem?
5. Why do you think Adah begins to speak after Ruth May's death when she chose to remain silent before it?
6. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
7. Why do the Underdowns come to Kilanga? How does Nathan respond?
8. What is Leah's relationship with her father like in Book 1?
9. What does Book 2 tell us about Nathan and his relationship to the family?
10. What happens to Ruth May in Book 2 as she is spying on the Jimmy Crow boys? What does she discover in the events that take place?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Trace the development and changes in Leah's relationship with her father throughout the novel. How does Leah feel about her father in the beginning of the novel? When do her feelings toward him start to change? How does she end up feeling about and relating to Nathan?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Kingsolver chose the name "The Poisonwood Bible" for the novel? What does the poisonwood tree represent in the novel? What might be an alternative title for the novel that captures what is it about?
Essay Topic 3
A number of symbols are used within the novel. Choose one symbol and answer the following?
1) What is the symbol and what does it represent?
2) How does Kingsolver use the symbol in the novel?
3) Trace the symbol through the novel and note when it appears.
This section contains 1,900 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)