|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the houses in Kilanga have what?
2. Why are there no fruits or vegetables in the garden?
3. What does Adah think that the church in Kilanga has become?
4. Who shows up at the Price's in January?
5. What makes the Price house different than the others in the village?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ruth May in Book 2 as she is spying on the Jimmy Crow boys? What does she discover in the events that take place?
2. What is Leah's relationship with her father like in Book 1?
3. In Book 1, Orleanna says, "Married to a man who would never love her, she stays his wife because it was what she can do." What do you think she means by this?
4. In Book 1, Rachel feels like the family is "in for it" in the Congo. Why do you think that Rachel feels this way?
5. Why do the people of the village stare at the Prices? Which family member did people used to stare at? Why do you think this person seems more normal to the villagers than the other family members?
6. Why does Mama Tataba quit working for the Prices? Do you agree with her decision?
7. How is Adah different than the rest of her family?
8. Who is Anatole? Why is Nathan angry with Anatole?
9. Who does Ruth May think the Congolese are in Book 1? Who are the white people that Ruth May says are now in the Congo?
10. Where do Nathan and Leah go in Book 2? What do they see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In The Poisonwood Bible, Orleanna's narrative looks back in time, while the other characters narrate from the present.
1) Why do you think Kingsolver included one narrative that looks back in time?
2) What does this type of narration add to the novel?
3) Why do you think Orleanna's character is the one looking back?
Essay Topic 2
Kingsolver brings the United States into the novel in several different ways. What role did the United States play in the Congo at a national and village level? What does Kingsolver seem to think about the United States' role in the events in the Congo? Do you think the United States should have been involved in the Congo?
Essay Topic 3
What are the similarities between the Prices' marriage and the relationship of the Belgians to the Congo? What do you think Nathan and the Belgians should have done differently?
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)