|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nathan Price do with the hills that Mama Tataba made in the garden?
2. When did everything change in the Congo, according to Orleanna?
3. Who is the oldest of the Price daughters?
4. What is painted on Mother's oval platter?
5. Why does Mother cry on Rachel's birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 1, Rachel feels like the family is "in for it" in the Congo. Why do you think that Rachel feels this way?
2. How does Orleanna survive in the Congo amid all the hard work?
3. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
4. How does the relationship between the Price girls and the village children change in Book 2?
5. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
6. Why does Mama Tataba quit working for the Prices? Do you agree with her decision?
7. What happens in Book 2 that makes the Price family and the villagers think that Adah has died? What really happened?
8. Why do the Underdowns come to Kilanga? How does Nathan respond?
9. What does Orleanna remember about Africa in Book 1?
10. Who does Ruth May think the Congolese are in Book 1? Who are the white people that Ruth May says are now in the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kingsolver explores the themes of freedom and captivity in the novel. Where can these themes be seen in the novel (family, village, country)? What are the prices that freedom and captivity come with in the novel for the Congo and various characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Anatole and what he represents. What is Anatole's background and what does he become? What does he symbolize at a national level? Why is someone like Anatole often viewed as dangerous?
Essay Topic 3
Trace the development and changes in Leah's relationship with her father throughout the novel. How does Leah feel about her father in the beginning of the novel? When do her feelings toward him start to change? How does she end up feeling about and relating to Nathan?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)