|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama Mwanza bring the family?
2. Who becomes Leah's first friend in the Congo
3. Orleanna's husband did what as an occupation?
4. Adah doesn't do which of the following?
5. What punishment does their father give the Price girls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Orleanna go to the Congo? With whom does she go?
2. Why does Adah think that church should be called the "Church of the Lost Cause." What does Nathan think about this?
3. Who is Mama Tataba? What does she try to help Nathan with? What does he do with her advice?
4. Why do the people of the village stare at the Prices? Which family member did people used to stare at? Why do you think this person seems more normal to the villagers than the other family members?
5. How does the relationship between the Price girls and the village children change in Book 2?
6. Orleanna says that her journey in Africa came to a bad end in Book 1. What do you think will happen that will make Orleanna's journey end badly?
7. What does Book 2 tell us about Nathan and his relationship to the family?
8. How does Orleanna survive in the Congo amid all the hard work?
9. What happens when the family first arrives in the Congo?
10. What does Orleanna remember about Africa in Book 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the religions, cultures, and other differences between the Congo and the United States. Which characters in the novel seem to bridge these differences? Which ones do not?
Essay Topic 2
Kingsolver brings the United States into the novel in several different ways. What role did the United States play in the Congo at a national and village level? What does Kingsolver seem to think about the United States' role in the events in the Congo? Do you think the United States should have been involved in the Congo?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think Kingsolver chose the name "The Poisonwood Bible" for the novel? What does the poisonwood tree represent in the novel? What might be an alternative title for the novel that captures what is it about?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)