|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after Nathan Price gives a blessing at the feast?
2. What is the animal that Orleanna remembers seeing in Book 1?
3. What takes up half the day in the Congo?
4. What does Rachel tolerate in Africa that she would not have at home?
5. Whose job is it to keep an eye on Ruth May?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nathan Price's opinion of women seem to be based on the events and narration in Book 1?
2. What was life like in the Congo for Orleanna?
3. What does Rachel think about the Congo on the day of the church picnic? How is she different than the people in the Congo?
4. Where do Nathan and Leah go in Book 2? What do they see?
5. Why do the people of the village stare at the Prices? Which family member did people used to stare at? Why do you think this person seems more normal to the villagers than the other family members?
6. What happens when the family first arrives in the Congo?
7. Who is Anatole? Why is Nathan angry with Anatole?
8. Who is Mama Tataba? What does she try to help Nathan with? What does he do with her advice?
9. Who does Ruth May think the Congolese are in Book 1? Who are the white people that Ruth May says are now in the Congo?
10. Book 2 opens with a startling revelation about the Price family. What does the Orleanna say is going to happen to the family? What do you think will happen in the rest of the book to make this come true?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Nathan Price and Brother Fowles. How are their attitudes and approaches toward the village of Kilanga and the Congo different? What do you think each represents or symbolizes within the book?
Essay Topic 2
Kingsolver explores the themes of freedom and captivity in the novel. Where can these themes be seen in the novel (family, village, country)? What are the prices that freedom and captivity come with in the novel for the Congo and various characters?
Essay Topic 3
A number of symbols are used within the novel. Choose one symbol and answer the following?
1) What is the symbol and what does it represent?
2) How does Kingsolver use the symbol in the novel?
3) Trace the symbol through the novel and note when it appears.
This section contains 1,188 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)