|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Nathan on the plane that is supposed to take the family out of the Congo?
2. What does Anatole have on his face?
3. Why does Mother cry on Rachel's birthday?
4. Where does Mr. Axelroot live?
5. How old are Leah and Adah on their birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the family bring with them to the Congo? What troubles did they have in getting these things to the Congo? How did they solve the problem?
2. How did Orleanna meet Nathan? How did their relationship change?
3. What does Orleanna remember about Africa in Book 1?
4. What does Book 2 tell us about Nathan and his relationship to the family?
5. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
6. How is Adah different than the rest of her family?
7. Why does Adah think that church should be called the "Church of the Lost Cause." What does Nathan think about this?
8. In Book 1, Rachel feels like the family is "in for it" in the Congo. Why do you think that Rachel feels this way?
9. Who is Mama Tataba? What does she try to help Nathan with? What does he do with her advice?
10. Why do you think that Adah chooses not to speak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kingsolver explores the themes of freedom and captivity in the novel. Where can these themes be seen in the novel (family, village, country)? What are the prices that freedom and captivity come with in the novel for the Congo and various characters?
Essay Topic 2
Trace the development and changes in Leah's relationship with her father throughout the novel. How does Leah feel about her father in the beginning of the novel? When do her feelings toward him start to change? How does she end up feeling about and relating to Nathan?
Essay Topic 3
A number of symbols are used within the novel. Choose one symbol and answer the following?
1) What is the symbol and what does it represent?
2) How does Kingsolver use the symbol in the novel?
3) Trace the symbol through the novel and note when it appears.
This section contains 1,080 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)