|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who warns people away from Nathan's church?
2. Who is the first of the Prices to interact with the village children?
3. Who becomes Leah's first friend in the Congo
4. What does Nathan Price encounter in the garden?
5. What do most of the girls Leah's age have in the Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the family bring with them to the Congo? What troubles did they have in getting these things to the Congo? How did they solve the problem?
2. What happens to Ruth May's sock monkey? How does she feel about this?
3. What is Leah's relationship with her father like in Book 1?
4. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
5. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
6. What is the Price house like? How is it different than other houses in the village?
7. Why do the people of the village stare at the Prices? Which family member did people used to stare at? Why do you think this person seems more normal to the villagers than the other family members?
8. How did Orleanna meet Nathan? How did their relationship change?
9. What happens to Ruth May in Book 2 as she is spying on the Jimmy Crow boys? What does she discover in the events that take place?
10. Why does Mama Tataba quit working for the Prices? Do you agree with her decision?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of the green mamba in the novel? Why do you think Ruth May chose to think of the green mamba instead of somewhere else?
Essay Topic 2
Many Christian denominations have sent out missionaries. Do you think that Nathan's version of religion was what his denomination intended? Do you think missionaries should try to convert people? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what happens to each of the three remaining daughters after Ruth May's death. Include in your answer the following:
1) How did the Congo change each person?
2) How did Ruth May's death affect each person?
3) Which of the three girls emerges from the Congo the strongest?
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)