|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes with Nathan on the plane that is supposed to take the family out of the Congo?
2. How many meals does Orleanna feed her family in the Congo?
3. What happens after Nathan Price gives a blessing at the feast?
4. What does the family eat a lot of?
5. Orleanna was a child of what era?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the people of the village stare at the Prices? Which family member did people used to stare at? Why do you think this person seems more normal to the villagers than the other family members?
2. Who does Ruth May think the Congolese are in Book 1? Who are the white people that Ruth May says are now in the Congo?
3. What was life like in the Congo for Orleanna?
4. Who is Mama Tataba? What does she try to help Nathan with? What does he do with her advice?
5. What does the family bring with them to the Congo? What troubles did they have in getting these things to the Congo? How did they solve the problem?
6. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
7. What is the Price house like? How is it different than other houses in the village?
8. What are some of the superstitions that the villagers have? Why do you think they have these superstitions?
9. How is Adah different than the rest of her family?
10. How does the relationship between the Price girls and the village children change in Book 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Children are often noted as being more observant. Do you think Ruth May was more observant than other members of her family? What things did she see that her other family members did not? Do you think that her curious nature got her into trouble?
Essay Topic 2
Kingsolver brings the United States into the novel in several different ways. What role did the United States play in the Congo at a national and village level? What does Kingsolver seem to think about the United States' role in the events in the Congo? Do you think the United States should have been involved in the Congo?
Essay Topic 3
What is the symbolism of the green mamba in the novel? Why do you think Ruth May chose to think of the green mamba instead of somewhere else?
This section contains 1,209 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)