|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the church supper held?
2. How many daughters does Orleanna have?
3. How old was Orleanna when she met Nathan?
4. When does Nathan say that family will leave?
5. What illness does the family try to avoid?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the Underdowns come to Kilanga? How does Nathan respond?
2. What happens in Book 2 that makes the Price family and the villagers think that Adah has died? What really happened?
3. Why does Orleanna go to the Congo? With whom does she go?
4. Why does Adah think that church should be called the "Church of the Lost Cause." What does Nathan think about this?
5. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
6. What happens when the family first arrives in the Congo?
7. What happens to Ruth May's sock monkey? How does she feel about this?
8. Why does Mama Tataba quit working for the Prices? Do you agree with her decision?
9. Why do you think that Adah chooses not to speak?
10. What does the family bring with them to the Congo? What troubles did they have in getting these things to the Congo? How did they solve the problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kingsolver narrates the novel through five characters. How does she make the characters sound and feel different? What effect does the five narrators have on the novel? Why do you think Kingsolver used this device in the novel? What unique insights does each character give about the Congo, the family, or other aspects of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolism of the green mamba in the novel? Why do you think Ruth May chose to think of the green mamba instead of somewhere else?
Essay Topic 3
The Prices change during their time in the Congo. Discuss how the changes affect the family, including:
1) Which character do you think changed the most? How did this character change?
2) Which character changed the least? In what ways does the character remain the same?
3) How does the family itself change from the beginning of the book to the end?
This section contains 1,109 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)