|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the church supper held?
2. What does Methuselah do that makes Nathan angry?
3. Which Price daughter is the youngest?
4. Why are there no fruits or vegetables in the garden?
5. Who greets the Prices when they land in Africa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the superstitions that the villagers have? Why do you think they have these superstitions?
2. Why does Adah think that church should be called the "Church of the Lost Cause." What does Nathan think about this?
3. How did Orleanna meet Nathan? How did their relationship change?
4. How does Orleanna survive in the Congo amid all the hard work?
5. What does the family bring with them to the Congo? What troubles did they have in getting these things to the Congo? How did they solve the problem?
6. What is Leah's relationship with her father like in Book 1?
7. What happens in Book 2 that makes the Price family and the villagers think that Adah has died? What really happened?
8. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
9. What does Book 2 tell us about Nathan and his relationship to the family?
10. What does Rachel think about the Congo on the day of the church picnic? How is she different than the people in the Congo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the similarities between the Prices' marriage and the relationship of the Belgians to the Congo? What do you think Nathan and the Belgians should have done differently?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Kingsolver chose the name "The Poisonwood Bible" for the novel? What does the poisonwood tree represent in the novel? What might be an alternative title for the novel that captures what is it about?
Essay Topic 3
Many Christian denominations have sent out missionaries. Do you think that Nathan's version of religion was what his denomination intended? Do you think missionaries should try to convert people? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)