|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel tolerate in Africa that she would not have at home?
2. What is the parrot's name that was left by Brother Fowles?
3. What does Nathan Price do with the hills that Mama Tataba made in the garden?
4. How many pounds of luggage per person were the Prices allowed on the plane?
5. What do most of the girls Leah's age have in the Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ruth May's sock monkey? How does she feel about this?
2. Why does Mama Tataba quit working for the Prices? Do you agree with her decision?
3. In Book 1, Rachel feels like the family is "in for it" in the Congo. Why do you think that Rachel feels this way?
4. What happens in Book 2 that makes the Price family and the villagers think that Adah has died? What really happened?
5. What does Nathan want to happen on the day of the church picnic? Does this happen? Why or why not?
6. What does Nathan Price's opinion of women seem to be based on the events and narration in Book 1?
7. Who is Anatole? Why is Nathan angry with Anatole?
8. How did Orleanna meet Nathan? How did their relationship change?
9. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
10. Why does Orleanna go to the Congo? With whom does she go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the religions, cultures, and other differences between the Congo and the United States. Which characters in the novel seem to bridge these differences? Which ones do not?
Essay Topic 2
Children are often noted as being more observant. Do you think Ruth May was more observant than other members of her family? What things did she see that her other family members did not? Do you think that her curious nature got her into trouble?
Essay Topic 3
Kingsolver explores the themes of freedom and captivity in the novel. Where can these themes be seen in the novel (family, village, country)? What are the prices that freedom and captivity come with in the novel for the Congo and various characters?
This section contains 1,110 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)