|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mama Mwanza does not have what part of her body?
2. What do the girls get from Mother for Christmas?
3. In what year did Orleanna and her family leave the United States?
4. What does Mama Mwanza bring the family?
5. Who shows up at the Price's in January?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Verse? Why do the girls get the Verse? Who is really to blame?
2. Book 2 opens with a startling revelation about the Price family. What does the Orleanna say is going to happen to the family? What do you think will happen in the rest of the book to make this come true?
3. What are some of the superstitions that the villagers have? Why do you think they have these superstitions?
4. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
5. What does Nathan want to happen on the day of the church picnic? Does this happen? Why or why not?
6. Why do the Underdowns come to Kilanga? How does Nathan respond?
7. Why does Orleanna go to the Congo? With whom does she go?
8. What happens to Ruth May in Book 2 as she is spying on the Jimmy Crow boys? What does she discover in the events that take place?
9. Orleanna says that her journey in Africa came to a bad end in Book 1. What do you think will happen that will make Orleanna's journey end badly?
10. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Prices change during their time in the Congo. Discuss how the changes affect the family, including:
1) Which character do you think changed the most? How did this character change?
2) Which character changed the least? In what ways does the character remain the same?
3) How does the family itself change from the beginning of the book to the end?
Essay Topic 2
A number of symbols are used within the novel. Choose one symbol and answer the following?
1) What is the symbol and what does it represent?
2) How does Kingsolver use the symbol in the novel?
3) Trace the symbol through the novel and note when it appears.
Essay Topic 3
Many Christian denominations have sent out missionaries. Do you think that Nathan's version of religion was what his denomination intended? Do you think missionaries should try to convert people? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)