Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many daughters does Orleanna have?
2. Who is put in charge of the chickens?
3. Where does Leah think that the quote Adah gives her is from?
4. Rachel notices that all the women wear what item of clothing?
5. The tone of Book 1 is one of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Kingsolver means when she has the woman in the market say that there has never been a village past Bulungu and that she doesn't know of anywhere called Kilanga?
2. What happens in Book 2 that makes the Price family and the villagers think that Adah has died? What really happened?
3. What does Book 2 tell us about Nathan and his relationship to the family?
4. Why do you think that Adah chooses not to speak?
5. Why do the people of the village stare at the Prices? Which family member did people used to stare at? Why do you think this person seems more normal to the villagers than the other family members?
6. Who does Ruth May think the Congolese are in Book 1? Who are the white people that Ruth May says are now in the Congo?
7. Who is Mama Tataba? What does she try to help Nathan with? What does he do with her advice?
8. Why do you think Adah begins to speak after Ruth May's death when she chose to remain silent before it?
9. Why does Orleanna go to the Congo? With whom does she go?
10. What living creature invades Kilanga? What do the villagers do?
Why do you think Kingsolver chose the name "The Poisonwood Bible" for the novel? What does the poisonwood tree represent in the novel? What might be an alternative title for the novel that captures what is it about?
A number of symbols are used within the novel. Choose one symbol and answer the following?
1) What is the symbol and what does it represent?
2) How does Kingsolver use the symbol in the novel?
3) Trace the symbol through the novel and note when it appears.
Which character in the novel do you think that you are most like? Why do you think you are like this character? Which character do you think you are least like? Why?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)