|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Nathan start hitting Orleanna?
2. For what does Mother begin to pray?
3. Mama Mwanza does not have what part of her body?
4. Who comes for dinner at the Price's house?
5. What do the Price girls hide in their pockets on the airplane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Verse? Why do the girls get the Verse? Who is really to blame?
2. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
3. What is Leah's relationship with her father like in Book 1?
4. What happens to Ruth May in Book 2 as she is spying on the Jimmy Crow boys? What does she discover in the events that take place?
5. Where do Nathan and Leah go in Book 2? What do they see?
6. Why do you think that Adah chooses not to speak?
7. What was life like in the Congo for Orleanna?
8. Why does Mama Tataba quit working for the Prices? Do you agree with her decision?
9. Why does Adah think that church should be called the "Church of the Lost Cause." What does Nathan think about this?
10. Why do the Underdowns come to Kilanga? How does Nathan respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the importance of names in the novel? How are names important for people in the novel? What is the importance of naming something wrong in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Children are often noted as being more observant. Do you think Ruth May was more observant than other members of her family? What things did she see that her other family members did not? Do you think that her curious nature got her into trouble?
Essay Topic 3
Kingsolver brings the United States into the novel in several different ways. What role did the United States play in the Congo at a national and village level? What does Kingsolver seem to think about the United States' role in the events in the Congo? Do you think the United States should have been involved in the Congo?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)