|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls find after the rain?
2. Who believes that the village is in a moral decline because more people are going to church?
3. What is painted on Mother's oval platter?
4. What is the only thing that Nathan is concerned about?
5. What does Adah think that the church in Kilanga has become?
Short Essay Questions
1. What living creature invades Kilanga? What do the villagers do?
2. Who is Anatole? Why is Nathan angry with Anatole?
3. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
4. Who is Brother Fowles? How is he different from Nathan?
5. What does Anatole find in his hut? What is this a sign of? What happens to Anatole?
6. What is the Price house like? How is it different than other houses in the village?
7. What does Tata Ndu want from the family in Book 3? How does the family respond?
8. What does Nathan Price's opinion of women seem to be based on the events and narration in Book 1?
9. What happens in Book 2 that makes the Price family and the villagers think that Adah has died? What really happened?
10. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the symbolism of the green mamba in the novel? Why do you think Ruth May chose to think of the green mamba instead of somewhere else?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what happens to each of the three remaining daughters after Ruth May's death. Include in your answer the following:
1) How did the Congo change each person?
2) How did Ruth May's death affect each person?
3) Which of the three girls emerges from the Congo the strongest?
Essay Topic 3
Which character in the novel do you think that you are most like? Why do you think you are like this character? Which character do you think you are least like? Why?
This section contains 1,785 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)