|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which baby does Orleanna think overtakes the mother?
(a) The last
(b) The twins
(c) The first
(d) The neediest
2. Where does Adah go to school?
(a) Yale University
(b) Georgetown University
(c) University of Florida
(d) Emory University
3. According to Ruth May, who is last in the family?
(d) Ruth May
4. What does the old woman give to Mother?
(a) A beaded necklace
(b) A mirror
(c) A carved okapi
(d) A picture of her daughters
5. What does Anatole tell Leah not to say?
(a) That she loves him
(b) That she wants to go home
(c) That she'll go with him to Leopoldville
(d) That she hates Africa
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls find when they take Ruth May's bed away from the wall?
2. How long after the Congo's independence does Congress look into the United States' secret operations?
3. What happens to Anatole in the year after Ruth May's death?
4. What animal does Leah kill during the big hunt?
5. Which family member refuses to take any responsibility for what happened to Ruth May?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Brother Fowles? How is he different from Nathan?
2. What does Anatole find in his hut? What is this a sign of? What happens to Anatole?
3. What does Orleanna do after Ruth May's death? Why does she do this?
4. What does Leah want to do with the men in the village? Who is not happy about this? How does Leah get her way?
5. Why do you think Adah says that the loss of life isn't always unwelcome?
6. What does Leah tell Anatole? What does he tell her in return? Why do you think he responds this way?
7. What happens during the big hunt?
8. What does Tata Ndu want from the family in Book 3? How does the family respond?
9. What happened to Patrice Lumumba?
10. What happens to Rachel in her life? Do you think she is happy?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)