|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Adah go to school?
(a) Emory University
(b) Yale University
(c) University of Florida
(d) Georgetown University
2. What do the girls find when they take Ruth May's bed away from the wall?
(a) A snake
(b) Malaria pills
(d) Ruth May's sock monkey
3. Why do the mother and daughters want to go back to Kilanga?
(a) To look for the things that they left behind
(b) To kill the man who killed the youngest daughter
(c) To find their father
(d) To put a grave marker up for the youngest daughter
4. According to Ruth May, who is last in the family?
(b) Ruth May
5. What does Adah miss by the end of Book 5?
(a) The old Adah
(b) Mama Tataba
(c) Nathan Price
(d) The Congo
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth May have to do to get her spirit in the bone, according to Nelson?
2. What animal does Leah kill during the big hunt?
3. Where does Orleanna put Ruth May's body?
4. How much money does the United States provide for loyalty?
5. What makes Mother get up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Ruth May at the end of Book 4? What happens after this event?
2. What does Orleanna do after Ruth May's death? Why does she do this?
3. Why does Rachel think that she can't go back to the United States now?
4. Orleanna characterizes Nathan as someone who stands still. What does she mean by this?
5. What does Leah want to do with the men in the village? Who is not happy about this? How does Leah get her way?
6. What does Nelson give to Ruth May? What does he tell her to do with it?
7. What does Leah tell Anatole? What does he tell her in return? Why do you think he responds this way?
8. What do you think Kingsolver means when she has the woman in the market say that there has never been a village past Bulungu and that she doesn't know of anywhere called Kilanga?
9. What regrets does Orleanna voice about her family and the situation in the Congo?
10. What does Anatole find in his hut? What is this a sign of? What happens to Anatole?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)