|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the hotel that Rachel owns?
(c) Hotel de Africa
(d) African Queen
2. What makes Mother get up?
(a) Adah disappears
(b) Rachel burns an omelet
(c) Ruth May needs a push on the swing
(d) Nathan tells her to
3. What becomes Orleanna's only purpose after Ruth May's death?
4. What does Leah begin to wonder?
(a) If her father is wrong to keep them in the Congo
(b) If Eeban Axelroot is selling diamonds
(c) If Adah can care for the chickens
(d) If Pascal likes her
5. For what does Adah think that Mother waits?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal did the people around Lusambo think Nathan could turn into before they killed him?
2. What does Nathan preach about in the boat?
3. What does Nelson say is on the chicken house?
4. How did Orleanna stay alive after Ruth May's death?
5. Who does Rachel think Brother Fowles looks like?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Brother Fowles? How is he different from Nathan?
2. What do you think Kingsolver means when she has the woman in the market say that there has never been a village past Bulungu and that she doesn't know of anywhere called Kilanga?
3. Why does Rachel think that she can't go back to the United States now?
4. What does Leah want to do with the men in the village? Who is not happy about this? How does Leah get her way?
5. Why do you think Adah begins to speak after Ruth May's death when she chose to remain silent before it?
6. What does Leah tell Anatole? What does he tell her in return? Why do you think he responds this way?
7. Orleanna characterizes Nathan as someone who stands still. What does she mean by this?
8. How is Orleanna changed when she finally gets up from bed? Who does she influence?
9. Where does each of the girls go after Ruth May's death?
10. Why do you think that Leah now feels uncomfortable in the United States?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)