|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who has not changed in the Congo?
2. Where does Adah go to school?
(a) Yale University
(b) University of Florida
(c) Emory University
(d) Georgetown University
3. After Leah disobeys Father, with what do the girls and Orleanna sleep?
(a) Knives and kitchen utensils
(b) Their clothes
(c) Food from the kitchen
(d) Stuffed animals
4. What does Rachel choose to save from the house?
(b) The mirror
(d) Her blanket
5. What does Leah create controversy over wanting to do?
(a) Preach in the church
(b) Participate in the big hunt
(c) Marry Pascal
(d) Eat ants
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ruth May have to do to get her spirit in the bone, according to Nelson?
2. What animal does Leah kill during the big hunt?
3. What does Adah miss by the end of Book 5?
4. What does Orleanna do with the furniture?
5. How long after the Congo's independence does Congress look into the United States' secret operations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does each of the girls go after Ruth May's death?
2. How is Orleanna changed when she finally gets up from bed? Who does she influence?
3. Why do you think that Leah now feels uncomfortable in the United States?
4. What regrets does Orleanna voice about her family and the situation in the Congo?
5. Who is Brother Fowles? How is he different from Nathan?
6. Why do you think Adah says that the loss of life isn't always unwelcome?
7. What living creature invades Kilanga? What do the villagers do?
8. Why does Rachel think that she can't go back to the United States now?
9. What does Anatole find in his hut? What is this a sign of? What happens to Anatole?
10. What does Leah tell Anatole? What does he tell her in return? Why do you think he responds this way?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)