|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All of the houses in Kilanga have what?
(a) A bathroom
(b) A red dirt yard
(c) A water pump
(d) A porch
2. Leah helps her father where?
(a) In the kitchen
(b) In the garden
(c) In the house
(d) In the church building
3. Mama Mwanza does not have what part of her body?
4. When did everything change in the Congo, according to Orleanna?
(a) The day that the river flooded
(b) The day that Adah began to speak
(c) The day that the church burned
(d) The day that they lost the parrot and Mama Tataba
5. What is painted on Mother's oval platter?
(a) White daisies
(b) Pink roses
(c) Blue forget-me-nots
(d) Purple lilacs
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Orleanna think she was when she woke sometimes?
2. What are the Prices told is going to happen in the Congo?
3. When did Nathan start hitting Orleanna?
4. What does Mama Mwanza bring the family?
5. What does this chapter reveal about what is going to happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think that Adah chooses not to speak?
2. What happens when the family first arrives in the Congo?
3. What does Orleanna remember about Africa in Book 1?
4. What was life like in the Congo for Orleanna?
5. Why does Orleanna go to the Congo? With whom does she go?
6. What responsibilities to the girls have when mother is in bed? Does Nathan make the situation easier or harder on them?
7. In Book 1, Orleanna says, "Married to a man who would never love her, she stays his wife because it was what she can do." What do you think she means by this?
8. Why do the Underdowns come to Kilanga? How does Nathan respond?
9. What does Book 2 tell us about Nathan and his relationship to the family?
10. Who does Ruth May think the Congolese are in Book 1? Who are the white people that Ruth May says are now in the Congo?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)