|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Rachel want to spend the year in Africa?
(a) Swimming in the river
(b) Learning about the Congo
(c) Making new clothes
(d) In bed
2. How long does the family plan to stay in Africa?
(a) 4 months
(b) 5 years
(c) 2 years
(d) 1 year
3. How many daughters does Orleanna have?
4. What are the Prices told is going to happen in the Congo?
(a) The Olympics
(b) Independence from Belgium
(c) A feast
(d) The funeral of the president
5. Why do the people not want their children to go down to the riverbank?
(a) They believe a spirit lives there
(b) A crocodile killed a girl the year before
(c) The water carries diseases
(d) The current is too strong to swim in
Short Answer Questions
1. When the family arrives, the country is on the brink of what?
2. What does the chief of the village want Nathan to say is acceptable?
3. What happens after the Independence in the Price household?
4. Who shows up at the Price's in January?
5. What does Anatole send after having dinner with the Prices?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Orleanna remember about Africa in Book 1?
2. What happens to Ruth May in Book 2 as she is spying on the Jimmy Crow boys? What does she discover in the events that take place?
3. Where do Nathan and Leah go in Book 2? What do they see?
4. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
5. What happens in Book 2 that makes the Price family and the villagers think that Adah has died? What really happened?
6. What does Book 2 tell us about Nathan and his relationship to the family?
7. What are some of the superstitions that the villagers have? Why do you think they have these superstitions?
8. What happens to Ruth May's sock monkey? How does she feel about this?
9. What was life like in the Congo for Orleanna?
10. Who does Ruth May think the Congolese are in Book 1? Who are the white people that Ruth May says are now in the Congo?
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)