|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Adah go when she gets home?
(a) To her bedroom
(b) To the kitchen
(c) To the living room
(d) To the hammock
2. What is the animal that Orleanna remembers seeing in Book 1?
3. What do the local women feed their families?
4. Where does Rachel want to spend the year in Africa?
(a) Learning about the Congo
(b) Swimming in the river
(c) Making new clothes
(d) In bed
5. What happens to Nathan in the war?
(a) He goes to Canada to avoid the draft
(b) He is injured and his company dies
(c) He saves a Congressman's son
(d) He become a chaplain
Short Answer Questions
1. When the family arrives in the village, what is the first thing Nathan Price does?
2. What does Nathan Price do with the hills that Mama Tataba made in the garden?
3. What does Rachel tolerate in Africa that she would not have at home?
4. Where does the family put the only mirror?
5. How old are Leah and Adah on their birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was life like in the Congo for Orleanna?
2. What does Tata Ndu want from the family in Book 3? How does the family respond?
3. What does Orleanna do after Ruth May's death? Why does she do this?
4. Why do you think that Leah now feels uncomfortable in the United States?
5. Why does Mama Tataba quit working for the Prices? Do you agree with her decision?
6. What responsibilities to the girls have when mother is in bed? Does Nathan make the situation easier or harder on them?
7. In Book 1, Orleanna says, "Married to a man who would never love her, she stays his wife because it was what she can do." What do you think she means by this?
8. What does the family bring with them to the Congo? What troubles did they have in getting these things to the Congo? How did they solve the problem?
9. What do you think Kingsolver means when she has the woman in the market say that there has never been a village past Bulungu and that she doesn't know of anywhere called Kilanga?
10. In Book 1, Rachel feels like the family is "in for it" in the Congo. Why do you think that Rachel feels this way?
This section contains 1,206 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)