|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Orleanna meet Nathan?
(a) In high school
(b) At a friend's home
(c) At a tent revival
(d) In college
2. How far did Orleanna and the family have to carry water?
(a) One mile
(b) From the kitchen
(c) A mile and a half
(d) A half a mile
3. What happens to families in Nathan's congregation that lose a child?
(a) They call on Nathan for advice
(b) They go back to ancestor worship
(c) They stay in the church
(d) They adopt another baby
4. Orleanna was a child of what era?
(a) The Middle Ages
(b) The Depression
(c) The Vietnam War
(d) The Victorian Age
5. What does Adah think that the church in Kilanga has become?
(a) The Church of the Women
(b) The Church of the Saved
(c) The Church of the Disinterested
(d) The Church of the Lost Cause
Short Answer Questions
1. When did everything change in the Congo, according to Orleanna?
2. What do the Price girls hide in their pockets on the airplane?
3. Adah has which condition?
4. What does Nelson tell Ruth May to say instead of "snake?"
5. How old are Leah and Adah on their birthday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Adah think that church should be called the "Church of the Lost Cause." What does Nathan think about this?
2. Where do Nathan and Leah go in Book 2? What do they see?
3. What does Book 2 tell us about Nathan and his relationship to the family?
4. What happens when the family first arrives in the Congo?
5. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
6. In Book 1, Orleanna says, "Married to a man who would never love her, she stays his wife because it was what she can do." What do you think she means by this?
7. What are some of the superstitions that the villagers have? Why do you think they have these superstitions?
8. Book 2 opens with a startling revelation about the Price family. What does the Orleanna say is going to happen to the family? What do you think will happen in the rest of the book to make this come true?
9. How does the relationship between the Price girls and the village children change in Book 2?
10. What was life like in the Congo for Orleanna?
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)