|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. All of the houses in Kilanga have what?
(a) A bathroom
(b) A porch
(c) A red dirt yard
(d) A water pump
2. How far did Orleanna and the family have to carry water?
(a) One mile
(b) A mile and a half
(c) From the kitchen
(d) A half a mile
3. What do the Price girls hide in their pockets on the airplane?
(a) Hair clips
(b) Betty Crocker cake mixes
4. What is the only thing that Nathan is concerned about?
(a) Building a different church
(b) His family's health
(c) Kilanga's salvation
(d) The garden
5. How old was Orleanna when she met Nathan?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Prices think that who was attacked by a lion?
2. Who narrates Book 1?
3. What does Rachel tolerate in Africa that she would not have at home?
4. What are sandals made of in Kilanga?
5. Where does Mr. Axelroot live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Ruth May think the Congolese are in Book 1? Who are the white people that Ruth May says are now in the Congo?
2. In Book 1, Rachel feels like the family is "in for it" in the Congo. Why do you think that Rachel feels this way?
3. Orleanna says that her journey in Africa came to a bad end in Book 1. What do you think will happen that will make Orleanna's journey end badly?
4. What is the Verse? Why do the girls get the Verse? Who is really to blame?
5. In Book 1, Orleanna says, "Married to a man who would never love her, she stays his wife because it was what she can do." What do you think she means by this?
6. What happens in Book 2 that makes the Price family and the villagers think that Adah has died? What really happened?
7. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
8. Why does Adah think that church should be called the "Church of the Lost Cause." What does Nathan think about this?
9. What happens to Ruth May in Book 2 as she is spying on the Jimmy Crow boys? What does she discover in the events that take place?
10. What responsibilities to the girls have when mother is in bed? Does Nathan make the situation easier or harder on them?
This section contains 1,163 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)