|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Book 1, to where do the women and the girls go through the forest?
(b) The river
(c) A church service
(d) A hut
2. What happens after the Independence in the Price household?
(a) One of the family dies
(b) Their mirror is stolen
(c) Mother and Ruth May get sick
(d) Nathan decides to leave the Congo
3. Who is the new Prime Minister of the Congo?
(a) Anatole Tataba
(b) Pascal Mwanza
(c) Patrice Lumumba
(d) Tata Ndu
4. Why does Orleanna stay with her husband?
(a) Because she doesn't have the money to leave
(b) Because she thinks that he is a great husband
(c) Because he loves her
(d) Because it is what she can do
5. What does Orleanna make for the picnic at Easter?
(a) Fried chicken
(b) Potato salad
(c) Pork ribs
(d) Prime rib
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Orleanna think she was when she woke sometimes?
2. How many pounds of luggage per person were the Prices allowed on the plane?
3. What does Nelson tell Ruth May to say instead of "snake?"
4. Where is the church supper held?
5. What are the Prices told is going to happen in the Congo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Verse? Why do the girls get the Verse? Who is really to blame?
2. What are some of the superstitions that the villagers have? Why do you think they have these superstitions?
3. Where do Nathan and Leah go in Book 2? What do they see?
4. What was life like in the Congo for Orleanna?
5. How does Orleanna survive in the Congo amid all the hard work?
6. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
7. What responsibilities to the girls have when mother is in bed? Does Nathan make the situation easier or harder on them?
8. What does Orleanna remember about Africa in Book 1?
9. Who does Ruth May think the Congolese are in Book 1? Who are the white people that Ruth May says are now in the Congo?
10. Orleanna says that her journey in Africa came to a bad end in Book 1. What do you think will happen that will make Orleanna's journey end badly?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)