|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after the Independence in the Price household?
(a) Mother and Ruth May get sick
(b) One of the family dies
(c) Nathan decides to leave the Congo
(d) Their mirror is stolen
2. What do the girls get from Mother for Christmas?
(a) Soap and shampoo
(b) Things to put in their hair
(c) Needlework things
3. When did everything change in the Congo, according to Orleanna?
(a) The day that the river flooded
(b) The day that Adah began to speak
(c) The day that they lost the parrot and Mama Tataba
(d) The day that the church burned
4. All of the houses in Kilanga have what?
(a) A bathroom
(b) A red dirt yard
(c) A porch
(d) A water pump
5. In Book 1, to where do the women and the girls go through the forest?
(a) A church service
(b) The river
(c) A hut
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the hardest work for Orleanna in the Congo?
2. What does Orleanna sometimes see on her walks in the Congo?
3. Who shows up at the Price's in January?
4. What does Anatole have on his face?
5. What do the Price girls hide in their pockets on the airplane?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Nathan Price's opinion of women seem to be based on the events and narration in Book 1?
2. What happens in Book 2 that makes the Price family and the villagers think that Adah has died? What really happened?
3. How does the relationship between the Price girls and the village children change in Book 2?
4. Why do the people of the village stare at the Prices? Which family member did people used to stare at? Why do you think this person seems more normal to the villagers than the other family members?
5. Who does Ruth May think the Congolese are in Book 1? Who are the white people that Ruth May says are now in the Congo?
6. How did Orleanna meet Nathan? How did their relationship change?
7. What is the Price house like? How is it different than other houses in the village?
8. Why does Adah think that church should be called the "Church of the Lost Cause." What does Nathan think about this?
9. In Book 1, Rachel feels like the family is "in for it" in the Congo. Why do you think that Rachel feels this way?
10. What does Book 2 tell us about Nathan and his relationship to the family?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)