|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Orleanna stay with her husband?
(a) Because it is what she can do
(b) Because he loves her
(c) Because she doesn't have the money to leave
(d) Because she thinks that he is a great husband
2. For what does Mother begin to pray?
(a) That God will help her speak to the villagers
(b) That God will deliver the family out of the Congo in one piece
(c) Tht God will send someone to haul water for her
(d) That God will make the villagers come to the church
3. What are the Prices told is going to happen in the Congo?
(a) A feast
(b) The Olympics
(c) The funeral of the president
(d) Independence from Belgium
4. What is the parrot's name that was left by Brother Fowles?
5. Where does Leah think that the quote Adah gives her is from?
(a) A book of nursery rhymes
(b) Treasure Island
(c) The gospel of Luke
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the Price house different than the others in the village?
2. Why do the people not want their children to go down to the riverbank?
3. Adah has which condition?
4. How much money does the family receive as a stipend each month?
5. All of the houses in Kilanga have what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Verse? Why do the girls get the Verse? Who is really to blame?
2. In Book 1, Rachel feels like the family is "in for it" in the Congo. Why do you think that Rachel feels this way?
3. What does Nathan want to happen on the day of the church picnic? Does this happen? Why or why not?
4. What is the Price house like? How is it different than other houses in the village?
5. Where do Nathan and Leah go in Book 2? What do they see?
6. Who is Anatole? Why is Nathan angry with Anatole?
7. How is Adah different than the rest of her family?
8. What does Nathan Price's opinion of women seem to be based on the events and narration in Book 1?
9. What does Orleanna remember about Africa in Book 1?
10. How does the relationship between the Price girls and the village children change in Book 2?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)