|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are sandals made of in Kilanga?
(d) Car tires
2. Who narrates Book 1?
(a) Ruth May
3. What is the animal that Orleanna remembers seeing in Book 1?
4. What does Orleanna sometimes see on her walks in the Congo?
5. How many pounds of luggage per person were the Prices allowed on the plane?
(a) 150 pounds
(b) 75 pounds
(c) 44 pounds
(d) 20 pounds
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nelson tell Ruth May to say instead of "snake?"
2. How much money does the family receive as a stipend each month?
3. In what year did Orleanna and her family leave the United States?
4. Where does the family put the only mirror?
5. What does Leah picture as her future career?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 1, Orleanna says, "Married to a man who would never love her, she stays his wife because it was what she can do." What do you think she means by this?
2. What does Nathan want to happen on the day of the church picnic? Does this happen? Why or why not?
3. Who is Nelson? Why does Anatole send Nelson to live with the Prices?
4. What does Rachel think about the Congo on the day of the church picnic? How is she different than the people in the Congo?
5. What is the Price house like? How is it different than other houses in the village?
6. Where do Nathan and Leah go in Book 2? What do they see?
7. Why does Adah think that church should be called the "Church of the Lost Cause." What does Nathan think about this?
8. How did Orleanna meet Nathan? How did their relationship change?
9. Why do the people of the village stare at the Prices? Which family member did people used to stare at? Why do you think this person seems more normal to the villagers than the other family members?
10. What does Book 2 tell us about Nathan and his relationship to the family?
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)