|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Adah think that the church in Kilanga has become?
(a) The Church of the Disinterested
(b) The Church of the Saved
(c) The Church of the Women
(d) The Church of the Lost Cause
2. What does Orleanna sometimes see on her walks in the Congo?
3. Orleanna's husband did what as an occupation?
(a) Baptist minister
(b) Diamond smuggler
(d) Small business owner
4. Mama Tataba says that Nathan should do what in the garden?
(a) Plow it
(b) Make hills for the plants
(c) Give the garden up
(d) Pray for the plants
5. What do most of the girls Leah's age have in the Congo?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does Leah try to keep as a pet, but releases after Nelson tells her that the villagers won't like it?
2. When the family arrives in the village, what is the first thing Nathan Price does?
3. The Prices are going to serve in which town?
4. Where does Mr. Axelroot live?
5. Why do the people not want their children to go down to the riverbank?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the family first arrives in the Congo?
2. Who does Ruth May think the Congolese are in Book 1? Who are the white people that Ruth May says are now in the Congo?
3. Why does Mama Tataba quit working for the Prices? Do you agree with her decision?
4. What happens in Book 2 that makes the Price family and the villagers think that Adah has died? What really happened?
5. What does Rachel think about the Congo on the day of the church picnic? How is she different than the people in the Congo?
6. How did Orleanna meet Nathan? How did their relationship change?
7. In Book 1, Orleanna says, "Married to a man who would never love her, she stays his wife because it was what she can do." What do you think she means by this?
8. What happens to Ruth May in Book 2 as she is spying on the Jimmy Crow boys? What does she discover in the events that take place?
9. Why do the people of the village stare at the Prices? Which family member did people used to stare at? Why do you think this person seems more normal to the villagers than the other family members?
10. In Book 1, Rachel feels like the family is "in for it" in the Congo. Why do you think that Rachel feels this way?
This section contains 1,242 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)