|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Orleanna stay with her husband?
(a) Because he loves her
(b) Because she thinks that he is a great husband
(c) Because she doesn't have the money to leave
(d) Because it is what she can do
2. Who becomes Leah's first friend in the Congo
(a) Mama Tataba
(d) Eeban Axelroot
3. How far did Orleanna and the family have to carry water?
(a) A mile and a half
(b) A half a mile
(c) From the kitchen
(d) One mile
4. Who doesn't always take her quinine pills?
(d) Ruth May
5. All of the houses in Kilanga have what?
(a) A bathroom
(b) A water pump
(c) A porch
(d) A red dirt yard
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the girls find after the rain?
2. What does Nathan break?
3. How much money does the family receive as a stipend each month?
4. Who shows up at the Price's in January?
5. What is painted on Mother's oval platter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Book 1, Orleanna says, "Married to a man who would never love her, she stays his wife because it was what she can do." What do you think she means by this?
2. Why do you think Orleanna stays with Nathan despite the ways that he treats her?
3. Why does Orleanna go to the Congo? With whom does she go?
4. What responsibilities to the girls have when mother is in bed? Does Nathan make the situation easier or harder on them?
5. Book 2 opens with a startling revelation about the Price family. What does the Orleanna say is going to happen to the family? What do you think will happen in the rest of the book to make this come true?
6. What does Nathan Price's opinion of women seem to be based on the events and narration in Book 1?
7. How did Orleanna meet Nathan? How did their relationship change?
8. What happens to Ruth May in Book 2 as she is spying on the Jimmy Crow boys? What does she discover in the events that take place?
9. What happens to Ruth May's sock monkey? How does she feel about this?
10. What does Nathan want to happen on the day of the church picnic? Does this happen? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,020 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)