|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Nathan Price encounter in the garden?
(a) Sticker weed
(b) An okapi
(d) A cobra
2. Why do the people not want their children to go down to the riverbank?
(a) They believe a spirit lives there
(b) The current is too strong to swim in
(c) The water carries diseases
(d) A crocodile killed a girl the year before
3. When did everything change in the Congo, according to Orleanna?
(a) The day that they lost the parrot and Mama Tataba
(b) The day that the river flooded
(c) The day that Adah began to speak
(d) The day that the church burned
4. Whose job is it to keep an eye on Ruth May?
5. What does this chapter reveal about what is going to happen?
(a) The family returns to the United States
(b) A civil war breaks out in the Congo
(c) The Price's house burns down
(d) One of Orleanna's daughters is buried in Africa
6. What do most of the girls Leah's age have in the Congo?
7. What animal does Leah try to keep as a pet, but releases after Nelson tells her that the villagers won't like it?
8. What makes the Price house different than the others in the village?
(a) The color of the walls
(b) Glass windows
(c) The size of the bathroom
(d) Dirt floors
9. Before the Prices came to the Congo, which daughter was often stared at?
(b) Ruth May
10. What does Nathan break?
(a) Orleanna's platter
(b) His arm
(c) A hoe
(d) The radio
11. Ruth May thinks that Africans are from the tribes of ________?
12. What was the hardest work for Orleanna in the Congo?
(a) Cooking and cleaning for the family
(b) Watching over her four daughters
(c) Deciding each day to stay with her family
(d) Hauling the water to the kitchen
13. How much money does the family receive as a stipend each month?
14. What happens to families in Nathan's congregation that lose a child?
(a) They call on Nathan for advice
(b) They go back to ancestor worship
(c) They adopt another baby
(d) They stay in the church
15. What punishment does their father give the Price girls?
(a) The verse
(b) A spanking
(d) Washing dishes
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Leah's first friend in the Congo
2. What toy of Ruth May's disappears?
3. Leah and Adah have what color hair?
4. What is painted on Mother's oval platter?
5. What does Nathan Price do with the hills that Mama Tataba made in the garden?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)