|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the soul have when it leaves the body according to Socrates?
2. What does Socrates say about the belief that soul could be composite after death, but non composite before?
3. What does Socrates think about the path to Hades and back?
4. Who walks the path to Hades easily according to Socrates?
5. What doesn't earth need to prevent it from falling?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of 81b-88b, what does Socrates say the soul cannot be damaged by?
2. How does the soul rule the man according to Socrates?
3. According to Socrates in 88c-95a, what is there no greater evil than and why does he believe this?
4. What is Tartarus according to Socrates?
5. Why will some join the "gentle group" of ants?
6. What does Socrates think of the shape of earth?
7. What should the philosopher master?
8. Why does Socrates worry that he might hurt his senses?
9. What does Socrates say about the Beautiful?
10. According to the beginning of 81b-88b, what souls wander the world?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Phaedo argues that Socrates gives three compelling reasons why the study of philosophy is valuable in itself. In an essay, discuss the three reasons introduced by Socrates and analyze their effectiveness. Use examples from the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the philosophy of Anaxagoras and Socrates, discussing both the similarities in their thinking and philosophy. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the two key aspects of Plato's ethical doctrine regarding the theory of recollection or the assertion that learning is essentially an act of recollecting things. Analyze the theory of recollection and perception in detail, discussing different arguments made in "Phaedo". Support your statements by using examples from the book.
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)