|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does philosophy surrender to from time to time?
2. What must first happen to those who die according to Socrates?
3. What does Socrates says of his ability with the area he is looking into, in order to answer Cebes' question?
4. What doesn't earth need to prevent it from falling?
5. What is happening to things Socrates says he knew before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the four major rivers of the earth according to Socrates?
2. What does Socrates think of the shape of earth?
3. What does Socrates say about harmony at the end of 81b-88b?
4. Who directs the body according to Socrates?
5. Why was Socrates disappointed by Anaxagoras?
6. At the end of 81b-88b, what does Socrates say the soul cannot be damaged by?
7. What does Socrates think of the nature of the soul before and after death?
8. What does Socrates say of the journey of well-ordered souls?
9. Who is Socrates trying to convince with his arguments?
10. How will philosophy free the soul, according to 81b - 88b?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the philosophy of Anaxagoras and Socrates, discussing both the similarities in their thinking and philosophy. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the influence of the Sophists on ancient Greek civilization and analyze why Plato may have used "Phaedo" as a means to find a solid grounding for moral values and rational principles. Use the text and secondary sources to support your discussion on the Sophists and Plato.
Essay Topic 3
One of the most important philosophical aspects of "Phaedo" is the theory of forms. In an essay, discuss the theory of forms, such as justice and beauty . Discuss the significance of the examples given by Socrates in "Phaedo" and determine whether they accurately support the argument. Use the text to support your statements.
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)