|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How big does Socrates think earth is?
2. What does Socrates think about the path to Hades and back?
3. What does Socrates say cannot contain a harmony?
4. Who is impressed by Socrates' arguments at the start of 95b-107b?
5. Why are the souls wandering the earth according to Socrates?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the beginning of 81b-88b, what souls wander the world?
2. What did Cebes think that Socrates did with his arguments on the soul?
3. Why was Socrates disappointed by Anaxagoras?
4. What does Socrates think of the nature of the soul before and after death?
5. How does the soul rule the man according to Socrates?
6. Who directs the body according to Socrates?
7. What do Phaedo and Echecrates want more of?
8. What does Socrates think of the shape of earth?
9. Why does Socrates worry that he might hurt his senses?
10. At the end of 81b-88b, what does Socrates say the soul cannot be damaged by?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the analogy used in "Phaedo" for thinking that the soul is like the attunement of a musical instrument. Discuss whether the arguments are convincing and what conclusions can be drawn from this analogy. Students may use the text and secondary sources to support the discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Phaedo gives an interpretation and examples of the argument from opposites. Take death and explain how the argument from opposites is meant to show that the soul coheres after death. Analyze the potential problems that arise from this argument and determine whether or not they were properly reconciled. Use the text to support your statements.
Essay Topic 3
In "Phaedo", women have an ambivalent role in the text and are forced to leave the room when Socrates drinks the poison. Discuss the position of women in the text and in ancient times, and use the text to support your discussion.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)