|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who walks the path to Hades easily according to Socrates?
2. What does Socrates think earth balanced in the middle of?
3. Who is inferior to the humans according to Socrates?
4. What we must do for all time according to Socrates at the start of 107c-115e?
5. Who taught Socrates that "Mind" directs and causes everything?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why will some join the "gentle group" of ants?
2. What did Cebes think that Socrates did with his arguments on the soul?
3. What does Socrates say about harmony at the end of 81b-88b?
4. What does Socrates say of the Forms and the particular?
5. What happens to the soul after death according to Socrates?
6. What do Phaedo and Echecrates want more of?
7. Who directs the body according to Socrates?
8. What is Tartarus according to Socrates?
9. What does Socrates think of the shape of earth?
10. How will philosophy free the soul, according to 81b - 88b?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, discuss the statement that philosophy is a "longing for death." Do you think this line of thinking was consistent with the reason he refused to escape from prison?
Essay Topic 2
Socrates likens the relationship with the gods as that of a master and slave. The gods are the perfect masters. Discuss the premise of this master slave relationship and conclude why this analogy was chosen.
Essay Topic 3
The mind-body connection discussed in "Phaedo" was considered revolutionary in his day and was one of the earliest forms of discussion on the subject. Discuss and define dualism and how the body and mind are distinct substance with distinct natures. Use the text to support your analysis of the mind-body connection.
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)