|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ways do things exist according to Socrates?
2. Who agrees with Cebes' views on death according to 62d?
3. What does Socrates argue that we must have learned what we know recollect imply?
4. What does Socrates argue about our knowledge of Greater, smaller, Beautiful, Good, Justice and Pious?
5. According to Socrates, what equal never is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates claim are not the great goods of life?
2. What should those who love learning do and why?
3. What does Socrates say opposites contain?
4. How do things exist and what does this explain about the two parts of the body?
5. What does Socrates believe about freedom and what does this mean for the philosopher
6. What does Socrates state about the fusion of body and soul at the beginning of 66b-72e?
7. What does Echecrates ask Phaedo at the beginning of "Phaedo"?
8. On the day Socrates was to die, who did Socrates stand before and why?
9. What does the theory of opposites imply about dead things at the end of 66b-72e?
10. What does Socrates say about the gods at the end of 57a-62c?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Our body can often be identified with the soul; however, we are often affected by what we perceive through our senses. Discuss how the senses influence the body and how the senses may interfere with intellect. Use the text to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
Socrates likens the relationship with the gods as that of a master and slave. The gods are the perfect masters. Discuss the premise of this master slave relationship and conclude why this analogy was chosen.
Essay Topic 3
Socrates is both ready and willing to die in Plato's "Phaedo" as a result of his belief in immortality. Discuss why Socrates might be willing to die and how philosophy may have prepared him for this. Use the text to support your statements.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)