|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the soul have when it leaves the body according to Socrates?
(a) Needs and regrets.
(b) Education and upbringing.
(c) Angst and envy.
(d) Education and envy.
2. What does philosophy surrender to from time to time?
(a) To the body.
(b) To contemplation.
(c) To fear.
(d) To passion.
3. What does Socrates say cannot contain a harmony?
(b) The body.
(c) The soul.
(d) A harmony.
4. Who is impressed by Socrates' arguments at the start of 95b-107b?
5. What is there no greater evil than according to Socrates?
(a) Hating philosophy.
(c) Hating reasonable discourse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What souls hover over the earth according to Socrates?
2. What did Socrates feel when he said that the one teaching about the "Mind" was not applying his own teachings?
3. What is weaker than the lyre according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates argue the soul lacks?
5. What does Philosophy tell men about the senses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates say about caring for the soul?
2. How will philosophy free the soul, according to 81b - 88b?
3. Who directs the body according to Socrates?
4. What should the philosopher master?
5. What does Socrates conclude on the explanation in the changes of things?
6. At the end of 81b-88b, what does Socrates say the soul cannot be damaged by?
7. According to Socrates in 88c-95a, what is there no greater evil than and why does he believe this?
8. How does the soul rule the man according to Socrates?
9. Why will some join the "gentle group" of ants?
10. What does Socrates think of the shape of earth?
This section contains 551 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)