|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates conclude at the end of 88c-95a?
(a) The soul is composite.
(b) The soul is mortal.
(c) The soul is harmony.
(d) The soul is not harmony.
2. Where does Socrates think the people of earth dwell?
(a) In its oceans.
(b) On its surface.
(c) In his caves.
(d) In the hollows of the earth.
3. Why is the soul in a poor state after it leaves the body according to Socrates?
(a) By being unable to escape.
(b) By being ignorant.
(c) By losing his virtue.
(d) By being associated with the body.
4. What souls hover over the earth according to Socrates?
(a) Those attached to the body.
(b) Recently dead souls.
(c) Those not educated enough.
(d) Souls that are looking over loved ones.
5. What does Socrates argue the soul lacks?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates think earth is?
2. What means does Socrates say allows beautiful things to be called beautiful?
3. What did Phaedo and Echecrates want from Socrates in 88c-95a?
4. What did Socrates feel when he said that the one teaching about the "Mind" was not applying his own teachings?
5. What did the people present with Socrates think of his argument according to Phaedo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Socrates think of the nature of the soul before and after death?
2. Why will some join the "gentle group" of ants?
3. What does Socrates conclude on the explanation in the changes of things?
4. What happens to the soul after death according to Socrates?
5. What does Socrates say about harmony at the end of 81b-88b?
6. Why does Socrates worry that he might hurt his senses?
7. How will philosophy free the soul, according to 81b - 88b?
8. How does the soul rule the man according to Socrates?
9. What does Socrates think of the shape of earth?
10. Who is Socrates trying to convince with his arguments?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)