|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens according to Socrates when one examine things by the body?
(a) He can't conclude anything.
(b) He can't use his body after.
(c) He is deceived.
(d) He sees the truth.
2. What does Simmias think of Cebes arguments about the man that answers correctly?
(a) He is not satisfied.
(b) He is convinced.
(c) He wants to claim them as his own.
(d) He want more time to think about them.
3. What is the only way to truly achieve virtue according to Socrates?
4. What does Socrates argue learning is?
(b) For men only.
5. What does Socrates argue about our knowledge of Greater, smaller, Beautiful, Good, Justice and Pious?
(a) It is perfect.
(b) We cannot recollect them after 20 years of age.
(c) We recollect them from a period before the body.
(d) It is incomplete.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of men resent dying according to Cebes?
2. What can be achieved in death that could not be achieved in life according to Socrates?
3. Why was Socrates held prior to dying, according to the two men discussing at the start of "Phaedo"?
4. Who does Socrates argue are good masters?
5. What does fear and terror make men brave beside of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Echecrates ask Phaedo at the beginning of "Phaedo"?
2. What does Socrates claim are not the great goods of life?
3. What do Cebes and Simmias claim about the wise?
4. What does Socrates believe about freedom and what does this mean for the philosopher
5. What does Socrates say opposites contain?
6. At the beginning of 62d-66a, what does Socrates maintain about the philosopher?
7. What should those who love learning do and why?
8. What does Socrates argue about opposites from opposites?
9. What does Socrates wonder about in regards to knowledge?
10. Who was present when Socrates died?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)