|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relation does Socrates see between Tallness and Shortness?
(a) They are the same, but inverted.
(b) Shortness is more important than Tallness.
(c) They cannot participate in each other.
(d) They are linked.
2. Who taught Socrates that "Mind" directs and causes everything?
3. Who directs harmony according to Socrates' argument?
(a) The lyre.
(d) The harp.
4. Who walks the path to Hades easily according to Socrates?
(a) Lost souls.
(b) Souls who follow Socrates' teachings.
(c) Souls who remember the trip.
(d) Well ordered souls.
5. What should the philosopher avoid according to Socrates?
(c) Bodily passions.
6. What is virtue according to Socrates?
(b) Unnecessary to die.
(c) A necessity to the body.
7. Who is Socrates trying to convince with his arguments about the immortality of the soul?
8. What will philosophy free according to Socrates?
(a) The body.
(b) The soul.
9. What does Socrates think about the path to Hades and back?
(a) There is only one.
(b) It does not exist.
(c) Many exist.
(d) The path is well guarded.
10. Where do the ones that lived an average life go after death according to Socrates?
11. What did Socrates feel when he said that the one teaching about the "Mind" was not applying his own teachings?
12. What happen after the soul reaches and is accepted at the next station after death?
(a) They wait for a new body.
(b) They are guided to heaven.
(c) They educate themselves.
(d) A guide brings them back to earth.
13. What does Socrates say about the belief that soul could be composite after death, but non composite before?
(a) It is inconsistent.
(b) It is impossible.
(c) It is possible, but unlikely.
(d) It is right.
14. What does Simmias think of knowledge about the next life?
(a) Everyone has it.
(b) It is difficult to gain.
(c) It is easy to gain.
(d) The dead have it.
15. What must first happen to those who die according to Socrates?
(a) They must go through purgatory.
(b) They must be judged.
(c) They must pay to pass in the other world.
(d) They must renounce the body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Socrates conclude at the end of 88c-95a?
2. What does the start of 88c-95a say about what Phaedo and others thought of Socrates' arguments?
3. What does Socrates think of the cause of things?
4. What does Socrates say of the fullest soul?
5. What does Socrates say should not make one hate argument?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)