|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the soul in a poor state after it leaves the body according to Socrates?
(a) By being unable to escape.
(b) By being associated with the body.
(c) By being ignorant.
(d) By losing his virtue.
2. What does Socrates say of the relationship between the soul and body?
(a) The body controls the soul.
(b) The body and the soul are two different beings.
(c) The soul controls the body.
(d) Gods control the soul.
3. What does Socrates think of desires?
(a) They are ignored by the philosopher.
(b) They are good for the body.
(c) They should not be given to women.
(d) They are a trap.
4. What does the start of 88c-95a say about what Phaedo and others thought of Socrates' arguments?
(a) They were off topic.
(b) They were disappointing.
(c) They were impressive.
(d) They were short.
5. Why are the souls wandering the earth according to Socrates?
(a) Being infidel.
(b) Being perfect.
(c) Deceiving people.
(d) Poor upbringing.
6. To whom do the souls that wander the earth belong according to Socrates?
(a) To politicians.
(b) To inferior men.
(c) To women.
(d) To good men.
7. What does Socrates argue the soul lacks?
8. What did Socrates feel when he said that the one teaching about the "Mind" was not applying his own teachings?
9. What is happening to things Socrates says he knew before?
(a) They are proving to be wrong.
(b) Most of them are false.
(c) He becomes blind to them.
(d) They are clearer than ever.
10. What is good to believe before dying according to Socrates?
(a) Dying is not painful.
(b) Your friend can find you in the afterlife.
(c) The gods love you.
(d) The soul survives death.
11. Who taught Socrates that "Mind" directs and causes everything?
12. What is weaker than the lyre according to Socrates?
13. Who is Socrates trying to convince with his arguments about the immortality of the soul?
14. What does Socrates think earth is?
(a) A cube supported by a turtle.
(b) A sphere in the middle of the heavens.
(c) A large tube holding the heavens.
(d) A flat circle.
15. What doesn't earth need to prevent it from falling?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Socrates starting to discuss after abandoning his thinking of empirical causes?
2. What are the heavens according to Socrates?
3. What analogy does Simmias abandon in 88c-95a?
4. What is better than divine doctrine concerning the next life according to Simmias?
5. What does Socrates say of death in 107c-115e?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)