|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates say of the relationship between the soul and body?
(a) The body and the soul are two different beings.
(b) The soul controls the body.
(c) Gods control the soul.
(d) The body controls the soul.
2. What means does Socrates say allows beautiful things to be called beautiful?
(a) The reality.
(b) The imagination.
(c) The soul.
(d) The Beautiful.
3. What topic does Socrates discuss to answer Cebes question?
(c) Natural science.
4. Who is inferior to the humans according to Socrates?
(a) The thing dwelling in caves.
(b) The thing living in volcanoes.
(c) The things living under the ocean.
(d) The thing living in the heavens.
5. What does Philosophy tell men about the senses?
(a) To embrace them.
(b) To withdraw from them.
(c) To love them.
(d) To enjoy them.
6. What can Form not admit, according to Socrates?
(a) That the soul is immortal.
(b) That Socrates holds the truth.
(d) That it is wrong.
7. What should the philosopher avoid according to Socrates?
(d) Bodily passions.
8. What did the people present with Socrates think of his argument according to Phaedo?
(a) They think they are unsubstantiated.
(b) They think they need more polishing.
(c) They think they are overbearing.
(d) They think they are good.
9. Who guides each man to the next station after death?
(a) His dead family.
(b) His soul knows where to go.
(c) His guardian spirit.
(d) The gods.
10. What groups can no one join if they have not practiced philosophy and do not leave this life pure?
11. How does Socrates try to uncover causes?
(a) The scientific method.
(b) His own method.
(c) The gods.
12. What happen after the soul reaches and is accepted at the next station after death?
(a) A guide brings them back to earth.
(b) They are guided to heaven.
(c) They wait for a new body.
(d) They educate themselves.
13. Who will the imprisonment of the body and ignorance be revealed to according to Socrates?
(a) Lovers of ignorance.
(b) Lovers of truth.
(c) Lovers of the body.
(d) Lovers of learning.
14. What does Simmias think of knowledge about the next life?
(a) Everyone has it.
(b) The dead have it.
(c) It is easy to gain.
(d) It is difficult to gain.
15. What does Socrates think earth is?
(a) A flat circle.
(b) A sphere in the middle of the heavens.
(c) A large tube holding the heavens.
(d) A cube supported by a turtle.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Socrates think the people of earth dwell?
2. Who walks the path to Hades easily according to Socrates?
3. Where do the ones that lived an average life go after death according to Socrates?
4. What doesn't Socrates have time for in 107c-115e?
5. What is there no greater evil than according to Socrates?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)