|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the people present with Socrates think of his argument according to Phaedo?
(a) They think they are overbearing.
(b) They think they are good.
(c) They think they need more polishing.
(d) They think they are unsubstantiated.
2. Who walks the path to Hades easily according to Socrates?
(a) Lost souls.
(b) Souls who follow Socrates' teachings.
(c) Well ordered souls.
(d) Souls who remember the trip.
3. What we must do for all time according to Socrates at the start of 107c-115e?
(a) Be truthful.
(b) Take care of our soul.
(c) Worship the gods.
(d) Prepare for death.
4. What does Philosophy tell men about the senses?
(a) To love them.
(b) To enjoy them.
(c) To withdraw from them.
(d) To embrace them.
5. What happen after the soul reaches and is accepted at the next station after death?
(a) They wait for a new body.
(b) A guide brings them back to earth.
(c) They educate themselves.
(d) They are guided to heaven.
6. What does Simmias think of knowledge about the next life?
(a) Everyone has it.
(b) The dead have it.
(c) It is difficult to gain.
(d) It is easy to gain.
7. What group does Socrates say those who practice moderation would join?
8. Why is the soul in a poor state after it leaves the body according to Socrates?
(a) By being associated with the body.
(b) By being ignorant.
(c) By losing his virtue.
(d) By being unable to escape.
9. What is good to believe before dying according to Socrates?
(a) The soul survives death.
(b) The gods love you.
(c) Dying is not painful.
(d) Your friend can find you in the afterlife.
10. What groups can no one join if they have not practiced philosophy and do not leave this life pure?
11. What does Socrates decide to consider after abandoning his thinking of empirical causes?
(a) The truth behind harmony.
(b) The value of a senator's soul.
(c) How the soul escapes the body.
(d) Consider matters through his soul alone.
12. What does philosophy surrender to from time to time?
(a) To contemplation.
(b) To passion.
(c) To the body.
(d) To fear.
13. What does Anaxagoras appeal to to explain causes?
(a) Local causes.
(b) The will of men.
(c) The gods.
14. What souls hover over the earth according to Socrates?
(a) Souls that are looking over loved ones.
(b) Those attached to the body.
(c) Recently dead souls.
(d) Those not educated enough.
15. What was Socrates aware of according to Phaedo?
(a) That he needed to leave Athens.
(b) That it was time to die.
(c) That Phaedo didn't trust him.
(d) The need for more arguments.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Socrates starting to discuss after abandoning his thinking of empirical causes?
2. Where do the ones that lived an average life go after death according to Socrates?
3. What can Form not admit, according to Socrates?
4. To whom do the souls that wander the earth belong according to Socrates?
5. Who is impressed by Socrates' arguments at the start of 95b-107b?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)