|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What should a man be concerned about according to Socrates?
(a) His family.
(b) His political power.
(c) His riches.
(d) The state of his soul.
2. What does Socrates say about philosophers at the start of 62d -66a?
(a) They should be ready and willing to die.
(b) They life is too precious to waste.
(c) They should not talk against Athens.
(d) They need to be more vocal about their needs.
3. What does the body do according to Socrates?
(b) Distract from love.
(d) Ruins hope.
4. Who does the philosopher want to be with according to Socrates?
(b) His friends.
(c) His family.
(d) His students.
5. Who had to be led away during Socrates' trial?
6. Who does the account of Socrates' death say were present beside Socrates' friends?
(a) The undertaker.
(b) Members of the Senate.
(c) Some strangers.
7. According to Socrates, what do the ones who love wisdom desire?
(a) Marry and have children to test them.
(b) Be where true wisdom is.
(c) Ignore wisdom until they die.
(d) Learn wisdom from Socrates.
8. What does Socrates argue cannot be attained without escaping the body?
(a) Pure angst.
(b) Pure love.
(c) Pure knowledge.
(d) Pure respect.
9. What does Socrates argue small things come from?
(a) From the afterworld.
(b) From men.
(c) From larger things.
(d) From even smaller things.
10. Who are "the Eleven" according to Phaedo?
(a) Socrates' best friend.
(b) Socrates' best students.
(c) The Senate palace guards.
(d) The police commissioners of Athens.
11. Who does the recount of Socrates' conversation with Cebes tell us was Socrates writing in honor of before his death?
(a) Apollo and Venus.
(c) The god of the festival.
(d) His mother.
12. Who owns men according to 62c?
(a) The country.
(b) The court system.
(c) The gods.
13. What did the one recounting the event of Socrates' death feel for him?
(c) No pity.
14. What does Socrates say cannot be attained as long as the body and the soul are fused?
15. Who does Socrates tell Cebes to relate his final writing to?
(a) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be compared by using reference to knowledge of the perfect form?
2. What does the theory Socrates say some people believe in argue happens to the soul after death?
3. According to Socrates, what equal never is?
4. Who claimed to have been with Socrates when he died at the start of "Phaedo"?
5. Who agrees with Cebes' views on death according to 62d?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)