|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What argument does Cebes agree with at the start of 73a-81a?
(a) Hemlock is painless.
(b) Philosophy is the savior of mankind.
(c) Souls of the dead exit.
(d) Dying is good.
2. What is the only way to truly achieve virtue according to Socrates?
3. What does Socrates say the body is responsible for?
(a) Pleasure and envy.
(b) Love and respect.
(c) Angst and ignorance.
(d) War and discord.
4. Who doesn't deserve to live according to the masses?
(a) The senate members.
(b) The Spartans.
(c) Those who follow Socrates.
(d) Those who take little pleasure in the body.
5. According to Socrates, what do the ones who love wisdom desire?
(a) Ignore wisdom until they die.
(b) Marry and have children to test them.
(c) Learn wisdom from Socrates.
(d) Be where true wisdom is.
6. What is recollection produced by according to Socrates?
(a) The brain.
7. Why did Socrates decide to pursue the arts according to his conversation with Cebes?
(a) He was rejected from medical school.
(b) A dream told him to.
(c) He wasn't good at anything else.
(d) His mother told him to.
8. What condition does Cebes put forth for Socrates' conclusion to be valid?
(a) The soul lives after death.
(b) Socrates needs to be happy to die.
(c) The gods allow you to die properly.
(d) One cannot commit suicide.
9. How does the man recounting Socrates' death qualify it?
10. What does Socrates argue that we must have learned what we know recollect imply?
(a) Recollecting past memories can be done with hypnotism.
(b) No need to learn anything now.
(c) Teaching philosophy is not pointless.
(d) Souls preexist our bodies.
11. What can be achieved in death that could not be achieved in life according to Socrates?
12. Who are "the Eleven" according to Phaedo?
(a) The Senate palace guards.
(b) The police commissioners of Athens.
(c) Socrates' best friend.
(d) Socrates' best students.
13. How do things appear when perceived by the senses according to Socrates?
(a) Partly equal.
(b) Imperfectly equal.
14. What ways do things exist according to Socrates?
(a) Small and large.
(b) Spicy and bland
(c) Visible and invisible.
(d) Wet and dry.
15. What conclusion does Socrates deduce from his arguments in the first part of 66b-72e?
(a) That death is incompatible with wisdom.
(b) That his wisdom is superior to that of Cebes.
(c) That he is right to die without resentment.
(d) That fear leads to death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the body do according to Socrates?
2. What question does Socrates ask Simmias in 62d-66a?
3. Who does Socrates tell Cebes to relate his final writing to?
4. What does Socrates believe something in existence will lead us away from in 66b-72e?
5. What does Socrates think is the highest form of art according to his conversation with Cebes?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)