|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who doesn't deserve to live according to the masses?
(a) The senate members.
(b) Those who follow Socrates.
(c) The Spartans.
(d) Those who take little pleasure in the body.
2. What does the body do according to Socrates?
(c) Distract from love.
(d) Ruins hope.
3. What does Socrates say cannot be attained as long as the body and the soul are fused?
4. What does Cebes argue a man can always answer correctly?
(a) If rewarded for the good answers.
(b) If asked slowly.
(c) If given a hint.
(d) If asked the right way.
5. What do the ones that fear death love more than wisdom according to Socrates?
(a) His family.
(c) The body.
6. How does the man recounting Socrates' death qualify it?
7. What does Socrates argue dead things come from?
(a) The sea.
(b) Living things.
(d) The afterlife.
8. Who are "the Eleven" according to Phaedo?
(a) Socrates' best friend.
(b) The Senate palace guards.
(c) The police commissioners of Athens.
(d) Socrates' best students.
9. Who wants to hear Socrates' argument that the soul appears immortal?
10. Who recounts Socrates' death at the start of "Phaedo"?
11. Who does the account of Socrates' death say were present beside Socrates' friends?
(a) The undertaker.
(c) Members of the Senate.
(d) Some strangers.
12. What does Socrates say most people are ready to do when their loved ones die?
(a) Go to the underworld.
(b) Learn philosophy.
(d) Move on.
13. In "Phaedo", what is the abstract fact about the world that makes it true that two sticks are of the same type?
(c) Almost the same.
14. What does Socrates believe something in existence will lead us away from in 66b-72e?
(c) Confusion of senses.
15. What does Socrates argue about our knowledge of Greater, smaller, Beautiful, Good, Justice and Pious?
(a) We cannot recollect them after 20 years of age.
(b) It is incomplete.
(c) It is perfect.
(d) We recollect them from a period before the body.
Short Answer Questions
1. What condition does Cebes put forth for Socrates' conclusion to be valid?
2. Who does Socrates tell Cebes to relate his final writing to?
3. What happens according to Socrates when one examine things by the body?
4. What are course and moderation part of according to Socrates?
5. Who claimed to have been with Socrates when he died at the start of "Phaedo"?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)