|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 81b - 88b.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are "the Eleven" according to Phaedo?
(a) The Senate palace guards.
(b) The police commissioners of Athens.
(c) Socrates' best students.
(d) Socrates' best friend.
2. What argument does Cebes agree with at the start of 73a-81a?
(a) Philosophy is the savior of mankind.
(b) Hemlock is painless.
(c) Dying is good.
(d) Souls of the dead exit.
3. What does Socrates argue small things come from?
(a) From even smaller things.
(b) From the afterworld.
(c) From larger things.
(d) From men.
4. What is the goal of a philosopher according to Socrates?
(a) To avoid dying.
(b) To speak the truth.
(c) To practice for death and dying.
(d) To avoid confrontation with the law.
5. What does Socrates argue philosophy would allow a man to face with a happy face?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the body do to the soul according to Socrates' argument in 66b-72e?
2. According to the account of his death, how did Socrates lived his life?
3. What does Socrates argue cannot come from the present life in 73a-81a?
4. What does Socrates say the body is responsible for?
5. What must exist for two things to be the same according to Socrates?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)