|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Ike and Bobby find when they arrive at Mrs. Stearns' house?
2. What does the man at Victoria's work claim to have in his car?
3. What does Tom do when the boys finally tell him what happened?
4. What does a man ask her who comes in Victoria's work place?
5. What does Victoria ask the McPheron brothers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Victoria not only becomes pregnant but is thrown out of her home.
1. What effect do you think these types of events would have on a teenage girl? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
2. What do you think Victoria can do to adjust to the changes in her life? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
3. Do you think it was fair for Victoria's mother to throw her out? What consequences did the boy have to face? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your experience to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Guthrie goes upstairs and into the room where his wife, Ella, lies in bed. He asks if she wants anything, but she does not answer. Guthrie leaves the room and Ella looks around before folding her arm across her face. Guthrie leaves the house and drives away in his pickup truck.
1. Do you think Ella Guthrie is depressed? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. How do you think younger children such as Ike and Bobby might feel about their mother? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. If Tom Guthrie was a friend of yours what would you advise him to do? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
It is not clear why Maggie Jones thinks of the McPheron brothers when she is searching for a home for Victoria, but it is clear that she knows both brothers well since she speaks to them with a great deal of familiarity.
1. What would you infer about Maggie and the McPheron brothers' relationship from their conversation about Victoria? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. From what you've read of the McPheron brothers thus far do you think their home will be a good place for Victoria? Why or why not?
3. Putting yourself in the shoes of the McPheron brothers, discuss the pros and cons of taking Victoria into your home.
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)