|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they decide to do to the nervous cow?
2. Who does Tom Guthrie bring with him to the McPheron's place?
3. Where does Victoria go after leaving her home?
4. Where do Ike and Bobby go after doing their chores on Saturday morning?
5. Who do Ike and Bobby see inside a vacant house one night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Ike and Bobby do for Christmas and how do they feel about it?
2. What call does Dr. Martin have that has to do with the McPherons and Victoria?
3. What does Maggie tell Victoria she has to do to make certain she is pregnant, what is the result and what does Maggie then tell Victoria she will do? What does Victoria ask Maggie?
4. What do Ike and Bobby do after Russell leaves them?
5. Why does Victoria visit Maggie in her classroom?
6. What does Maggie tell Harold at the store and what do he and his brother decide they need to do?
7. What happens when Victoria goes home after school the afternoon her mother decided Victoria was pregnant?
8. What does Victoria do for her lunch break, who does she encounter and what is the end result?
9. What happens when Victoria returns to the McPherons' house?
10. What do the McPheron brothers find when they arrive home one day and what do they do about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Victoria has a poor relationship with her mother. Ike and Bobby seem to have a good relationship with their father. The three are different ages.
1. What constitutes a good relationship between a parent and child? What about a bad one?
2. Do you think the relationship between a parent and child is different at different ages, for example, Victoria's age compared to Ike or Bobby's age? Why or why not? Use examples from the book and your life to support your answer.
3. Does Russell have a good or bad relationship with his father? Why? Use examples from the book to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The source of Russell's tendency for inappropriate behavior is obvious. With parents who lash out in vulgar tirades it is little wonder that Russell sees bullying and violence as acceptable behavior.
1. In light of the above statement discuss the saying: The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Russell's behavior should be excused in view of what type of people his parents seem to be? Why or why not?
3. Discuss why Russell's behavior seems to reflect his parents. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The only question Victoria has for the doctor is whether her baby is all right. Clearly she does want the baby. At this point it is difficult to say why Victoria wants to have the baby despite the hardships pregnancy and motherhood will cause. Perhaps because Victoria has never had a fulfilling family life she is ready to love a child of her own.
1. Discuss the reasons why Victoria might want to have her baby.
2. Do you think Victoria should keep her baby? Why or why not?
3. Discuss the pros and cons of a teenage girl having and keeping a baby.
This section contains 1,258 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)