|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Stearn want before paying Ike and Bobby?
2. What was the topic of the report the male student gives?
3. About what do Harold and Raymond joke?
4. What does Ralph Black not want the boys to do?
5. Where does Victoria spend the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Guthrie goes to speak to Russell about what he did to Ike and Bobby?
2. What does Maggie tell Victoria she has to do to make certain she is pregnant, what is the result and what does Maggie then tell Victoria she will do? What does Victoria ask Maggie?
3. What does Crowder decide to do about Russell, what is Russell's father's response and what does Crowder tell Guthrie when they leave?
4. What do the McPheron brothers do when Victoria doesn't come home and how do they feel about it?
5. What happens between Victoria and Maggie's father?
6. How does Guthrie end up at Judy's house?
7. Why do Bobby and Ike sneak out of the house one night?
8. What does Victoria tell the McPheron brothers about where she was and where do they take her?
9. What do the McPheron brothers find when they arrive home one day and what do they do about it?
10. What does Maggie tell the McPheron brothers about Victoria and what does she ask them? What is their response?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Regeneration help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Plainsong? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Plainsongto discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
Guthrie goes upstairs and into the room where his wife, Ella, lies in bed. He asks if she wants anything, but she does not answer. Guthrie leaves the room and Ella looks around before folding her arm across her face. Guthrie leaves the house and drives away in his pickup truck.
1. Do you think Ella Guthrie is depressed? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. How do you think younger children such as Ike and Bobby might feel about their mother? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. If Tom Guthrie was a friend of yours what would you advise him to do? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
The only question Victoria has for the doctor is whether her baby is all right. Clearly she does want the baby. At this point it is difficult to say why Victoria wants to have the baby despite the hardships pregnancy and motherhood will cause. Perhaps because Victoria has never had a fulfilling family life she is ready to love a child of her own.
1. Discuss the reasons why Victoria might want to have her baby.
2. Do you think Victoria should keep her baby? Why or why not?
3. Discuss the pros and cons of a teenage girl having and keeping a baby.
This section contains 1,272 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)