|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ella Guthrie moving?
2. Where is Mrs. Stearn's family?
3. What does Mrs. Beckman tend to use when she talks?
4. Where do Ike and Bobby take a classmate?
5. What does Guthrie think about when Victoria Roubideaux gives her report?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ella ask Tom to come to her house and what happens there?
2. What do Ike and Bobby do after Russell leaves them?
3. How does Victoria's mother find out Victoria is pregnant and what is her response?
4. What do the boys tell Guthrie when he picks them up at the McPherons' and what do they ask him?
5. What call does Dr. Martin have that has to do with the McPherons and Victoria?
6. What happens when Guthrie goes to speak to Russell about what he did to Ike and Bobby?
7. Where is Guthrie attending a party, why does he leave early, where does he go and what does Maggie tell him when he leaves?
8. Who do Ike and Bobby visit, what does she say and what does she do?
9. What does the school board chairman tell the Beckmans and how do they respond?
10. What do Ike and Bobby do for Christmas and how do they feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as Regeneration help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading Plainsong? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in Plainsongto discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
It is not clear why Maggie Jones thinks of the McPheron brothers when she is searching for a home for Victoria, but it is clear that she knows both brothers well since she speaks to them with a great deal of familiarity.
1. What would you infer about Maggie and the McPheron brothers' relationship from their conversation about Victoria? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. From what you've read of the McPheron brothers thus far do you think their home will be a good place for Victoria? Why or why not?
3. Putting yourself in the shoes of the McPheron brothers, discuss the pros and cons of taking Victoria into your home.
Essay Topic 3
Guthrie goes upstairs and into the room where his wife, Ella, lies in bed. He asks if she wants anything, but she does not answer. Guthrie leaves the room and Ella looks around before folding her arm across her face. Guthrie leaves the house and drives away in his pickup truck.
1. Do you think Ella Guthrie is depressed? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. How do you think younger children such as Ike and Bobby might feel about their mother? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. If Tom Guthrie was a friend of yours what would you advise him to do? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)